EDC/Subcompact Carry Gun

For summer carry (read: cargo shorts and t-shirts), I run a Kahr CW380 in an Uncle George's wallet holster. No, it's not the fastest draw and no it's not a one-shot-stop round, but ANY gun is better than none, IMO.

The M2 is definitely off list, it's nothing like the original PPS other than being sorta kinda close in size. That said it's not really that hard to get one if someone's willing to do the legwork.

-Mike

The list has the PPS on it... and the new PPS M2 only says PPS on the slide. Some would argue that it's just a PPS if no SKU or any other stupid numbers are included in the paperwork.

The list has the PPS on it... and the new PPS M2 only says PPS on the slide. Some would argue that it's just a PPS if no SKU or any other stupid numbers are included in the paperwork.

While this is true even under the "Substantially Similar" clause in the law it would fail that test, because it's not. It's a much different gun mechanically. A dealer that likes flipping the bird to the state would rugsweep this no problem, though, based on what you just said.... because it's an undetectable rugsweep. [laugh]

-Mike

Wow, I didn't expect this much. Thank you all. Im going to have to go out an rent a bunch of guns. As for the G43 I've handled one in a free state and it felt good. Only question is about obtaining one. I could get one but the way I know how requires some assembly. If I do that I'm concerned with extra legal headaches if God forbid I have to use it. I know being a inmate of MA they are gonna try and nail you to the wall regardless but I don't want to give them an easier time. I've been told by a good amount of people that I'd want it from a dealer and bone stock to avoid more trouble. Whether that true or not I'm not willing to take the risk to find out. If anyone can chief in on this please do.

The M2 is definitely off list, it's nothing like the original PPS other than being sorta kinda close in size. That said it's not really that hard to get one if someone's willing to do the legwork.

-Mike

the internal chassis and mechanics are identical between the PPS classic and M2. the only differences are the polymer and slide milling. it's otherwise anatomically identical. since the list reads "PPS" seems like it's just another type of interpretation on behalf of the dealer as to whether it's on or off list.

Wow, I didn't expect this much. Thank you all. Im going to have to go out an rent a bunch of guns. As for the G43 I've handled one in a free state and it felt good. Only question is about obtaining one. I could get one but the way I know how requires some assembly. If I do that I'm concerned with extra legal headaches if God forbid I have to use it. I know being a inmate of MA they are gonna try and nail you to the wall regardless but I don't want to give them an easier time. I've been told by a good amount of people that I'd want it from a dealer and bone stock to avoid more trouble. Whether that true or not I'm not willing to take the risk to find out. If anyone can chief in on this please do.

Not sure what you're referring to RE: assembly, but if you are talking about buying receiver only from an FFL and then buying the slide/barrel/RS separately, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you use that gun in self defense you're going to have much more pressing things to worry about. If you're talking about doing an action job on the gun to lighten up the trigger, and are afraid of repercussions if you had to use it in self defense, again, it's a non-issue. The regulations WRT trigger weight are in place so the gun can be legally sold by a dealer. Has no bearing on the user's legal status.

Not sure what you're referring to RE: assembly, but if you are talking about buying receiver only from an FFL and then buying the slide/barrel/RS separately, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you use that gun in self defense you're going to have much more pressing things to worry about. If you're talking about doing an action job on the gun to lighten up the trigger, and are afraid of repercussions if you had to use it in self defense, again, it's a non-issue. The regulations WRT trigger weight are in place so the gun can be legally sold by a dealer. Has no bearing on the user's legal status.
Yes you are correct about the receiver and then buying the parts. I tried to dance around it because I wasn't sure if that was OK to post on here. So I'll either do that or find "walter" to get me one.

As for getting trigger work done being legally ok. I think I'll spend some money to get a srt installed in my 229 later down the road. Thanks for that one

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

sigfanboy13;5559394I've been told by a good amount of people that I'd want it from a dealer and bone stock to avoid more trouble. Whether that true or not I'm not willing to take the risk to find out. If anyone can chief in on this please do.[/QUOTE said:
If you want bone stock - that leaves out anything by Smith and Wesson. In the case of the shield, you'll need to upgrade it to usable, while the Bodyguard will visit the gunsmith just to put pieces that fall out/off (shattered firing pin in my case) back together.

I'll chime in for the G43.
I carry mine with Tricon hd's and a Streamlight tl-6. The trigger is just fine for carry albeit a little stiff until it breaks in.
Unless you are concerned about reliability, you don't have to worry about trigger mods unless you shoot someone unintentionally. Also there is NOTHING illegal about carrying a Glock.
Just keep an eye out in the classifieds and eventually someone will post one with not butt-rapey prices, but sorry you'll probably not find one for anything close to a new Ruger or a S&W that's just supply and demand.

Also, the SRT kit and a #19 lbs main spring is the best $40-50 bucks you can spend for any P22x Sig. Those are also the easiest mods to do yourself. Most people swoon over the Legions and swear that it's got the "BEST TRIGGER EVER!" 98% of that is the SRT kit. The other 2% is a tacti-boner.

Seecamp?

They don't get much subcompacter than that and still work. (I've got a .25 Bauer that is great for carry, if I need a concealable paperweight)[/QUOTE

I have glock 19, 26 43 and seecamp and 32. I carry all of them at different times. By far the secamp is the only that you can pocket carry in anything, prints like a wallet. 43 doesn't work for pocket carry in some pants. Shoot all significantly better then the Seecamp , but there is no excuse not to carry it.. It disappears,

I'll chime in for the G43.
I carry mine with Tricon hd's and a Streamlight tl-6. The trigger is just fine for carry albeit a little stiff until it breaks in.
Unless you are concerned about reliability, you don't have to worry about trigger mods unless you shoot someone unintentionally. Also there is NOTHING illegal about carrying a Glock.
Just keep an eye out in the classifieds and eventually someone will post one with not butt-rapey prices, but sorry you'll probably not find one for anything close to a new Ruger or a S&W that's just supply and demand.

Also, the SRT kit and a #19 lbs main spring is the best $40-50 bucks you can spend for any P22x Sig. Those are also the easiest mods to do yourself. Most people swoon over the Legions and swear that it's got the "BEST TRIGGER EVER!" 98% of that is the SRT kit. The other 2% is a tacti-boner.
OK I think I'll go shopping for a g43 or its parts. As for the people with legion boners.... well I have one because I like the smaller slide release, the frame cut, and I just think they are sexy.

If I do that I'm concerned with extra legal headaches if God forbid I have to use it. I know being a inmate of MA they are gonna try and nail you to the wall regardless but I don't want to give them an easier time. I've been told by a good amount of people that I'd want it from a dealer and bone stock to avoid more trouble. .

Not this again.... [laugh]

These myths are like the vape clouds from this dude's car.... usually told by terrible gun shops to get people to buy overpriced "compliant" merch. Well, or old, fat guys with suspenders harumphing cause they like to be authority figures or something, so they make this drivel up or repeat "something their cop buddy told them" which was made up/false
info to begin with.

(NSFW-language)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not this again.... [laugh]

These myths are like the vape clouds from this dude's car.... usually told by terrible gun shops to get people to buy overpriced "compliant" merch. Well, or old, fat guys with suspenders harumphing cause they like to be authority figures or something, so they make this drivel up or repeat "something their cop buddy told them" which was made up/false
info to begin with.

(NSFW-language)

My cop buddy is one who told me. Time for me to pick up a G43 then. Thanks doc

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm quoting this because I wanted to edit it but I can't figure it out on my phone. But hey some of us are still new and impressionable. And after looking at too many horror stories on this website it's not too hard to get spooked.

In all seriousness, Next time ask him for some case law or testimony to back up the assertion of "getting in more trouble" because a lot of us here would love to see it (if it does actually exist) and isn't just some kinda invented massprudence phantasm type of deal. [laugh]

-Mike

In all seriousness, Next time ask him for some case law or testimony to back up the assertion of "getting in more trouble" because a lot of us here would love to see it (if it does actually exist) and isn't just some kinda invented massprudence phantasm type of deal. [laugh]

-Mike
Sure, he's a funny one, that's for sure. All his ARs are mass compliant (pre-healy ofc) despite his LEO card. You should have seen his face when I asked him why his rifle was compliant when he has a pass to get one that wasn't neutered.

OK I think I'll go shopping for a g43 or its parts. As for the people with legion boners.... well I have one because I like the smaller slide release, the frame cut, and I just think they are sexy.

I hear you.
I have a raging Sig boner, have drunken the Teutonic-spartan-kool-aid and would do it again.
FWIW:The frame cut is almost unmeasureable compared to a plain jane 226 or 229 with Hogue G10's (I have tried) and the small slide/stop release is too small if you ask me. The stock releases are pretty huge and easy to ride with your thumbs, but work like gang busters for fast reloading. The Legion release is almost impossible to ride, but can be really awkward/difficult/impossible to operate without breaking grip. It's not so much a problem the size of the release but profile of the grip panels that obstruct the lever.
Had the same problem with a P225-A1 with the wood grips that needed to be shaved down.
Also the x-ray sights (while WAY better than stock Siglites) are still not as good as Trijicons.
Just saying.

^ Great choice.

I've pocket carried a Kahr CW380 and loved it but sold it when money was extra tight, miss it a lot. Just had to get the right ammo for it though. Stay away from hollow points and FMJs. Get Ruger ARX or anything with the Lehigh Defense Extreme Penetrator bullet.

Now I either pocket carry a .38 special snubby or even better my Kahr CW9 which is really a great choice. It's slim, lightweight but not as small as some of the super sub-compacts that can be really snappy. It's not really small enough to be a great pocket carry but it can be done. The CW380 with the right ammo is a great, great little gun.

I hear you.
I have a raging Sig boner, have drunken the Teutonic-spartan-kool-aid and would do it again.
FWIW:The frame cut is almost unmeasureable compared to a plain jane 226 or 229 with Hogue G10's (I have tried) and the small slide/stop release is too small if you ask me. The stock releases are pretty huge and easy to ride with your thumbs, but work like gang busters for fast reloading. The Legion release is almost impossible to ride, but can be really awkward/difficult/impossible to operate without breaking grip. It's not so much a problem the size of the release but profile of the grip panels that obstruct the lever.
Had the same problem with a P225-A1 with the wood grips that needed to be shaved down.
Also the x-ray sights (while WAY better than stock Siglites) are still not as good as Trijicons.
Just saying.

That keep the Legion next the the HK Mk23 as a pistol I really want but can't rationalize spending that kind of money until I can round out my collection. I still need a rifle and a sporting shotgun, after that its fancy pistol time.[mg]

Not sure if you've ruled out a j frame yet, but they're easy to hide, light, and have a pretty good track record. Not the first thing I'd reach for heading into a battle but easy and simple for edc.

Not sure if you've ruled out a j frame yet, but they're easy to hide, light, and have a pretty good track record. Not the first thing I'd reach for heading into a battle but easy and simple for edc.

I haven't 100% ruled them out mostly because I see them at the FS regularly go for about $300 at that point why not? If I got one I'd just wait till the performance center guys came back to the store and did the free trigger jobs.

I haven't 100% ruled them out mostly because I see them at the FS regularly go for about $300 at that point why not? If I got one I'd just wait till the performance center guys came back to the store and did the free trigger jobs.
I love mine. Many guns have wandered through my safe but the j frame has stuck around. The curved grips make it much faster out of pocket carry for me than my pm9. Also the price point, manual of arms and maintenance requirements are pretty low.

Back
Top Bottom