EDC/Subcompact Carry Gun

(except for maybe Krapber, lol)

-Mike

Can you expand more on Kimber? Never shot or even held one, but they appear to be higher end, with higher price points than the more budget-friendly handguns. Count me as one of those toward whom said marketing has made an impression.

From what I've heard Kimber is like a bottom of the line Mercedes or BMW. Yes they are nice but at that point you are paying more for a name than a high performance sports car, while playing it off that you have a high end one.

So what you pay for is a pretty gun that will be out run by anything serious but is nice enough to beat anything basic.

If you're looking for a high end 1911 that performs keep looking.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Can you expand more on Kimber? Never shot or even held one, but they appear to be higher end, with higher price points than the more budget-friendly handguns. Count me as one of those toward whom said marketing has made an impression.

Krapber is mostly marketing. They probably have a stronger marketing program than every other gun manufacturer combined. You can't open a gun rag without seeing at least 3-5 pages of Krapber ads, or so it seems. They also put their products in a shitload of gun stores (in the real world, outside of MA). This enables them to move lots of guns. I'll give them lots of credit for that. It's not hard to find one, or find a dealer that has a lot of
them in stock. (at least in the real world outside of MA).

Whether the guns are good or not is another story. I had a 2004 anniv edition that had an out of spec frame on it, but the gun otherwise worked OK once I got it fully tuned up right. Other guys have had horror stories of bad QC. Some of them are great from the factory, others not so much... but IMHO once you're clearing the $1000 ceiling there's a lot better guns you can buy. I would buy the cheap DW 1911 (Heritage?) or a STI Spartan long before a typical Krapber. Of course I'm talking 5" and Commander length guns, not the tiny 1911s Krapber makes, those could be
worse. .

The only way I would buy a Krapber nowadays is if I got it used from someone I trusted, or I could run an acceptance test on the thing before purchasing it.

-Mike

Last edited:
The last good Kimber I shot was a friends back around 1990.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last good Kimber I shot was a friends back around 1990.

I should add that the older ones were often significantly better. I had one from the late 90s that was pretty nice. (I sold it to a member here who as far as I know is still enjoying it). The 2004 anniv edition I had was a POS compared to that gun.

-Mike

Someone needs to go grab that Kahr 380 in the classifieds. I already have one or would be all over it. Also that LCP II. Both are a steal for being in MA. I have nothing to do with either.

I have both a P32 and a TCP in .380. Been trying to decide which one to sell but it's hard. I like tiny little guns.

Same here, always had a liking for little vest pocket autos (though I've carried a full size Gov't .45 during the cool months for many years.)

Its the same with breasts. Sometimes I like big ol' lunkers. Other times I like more petite, cereal bowl sized ones. [laugh]

Krapber is mostly marketing. They probably have a stronger marketing program than every other gun manufacturer combined. You can't open a gun rag without seeing at least 3-5 pages of Krapber ads, or so it seems. They also put their products in a shitload of gun stores (in the real world, outside of MA). This enables them to move lots of guns. I'll give them lots of credit for that. It's not hard to find one, or find a dealer that has a lot of
them in stock. (at least in the real world outside of MA).

Whether the guns are good or not is another story. I had a 2004 anniv edition that had an out of spec frame on it, but the gun otherwise worked OK once I got it fully tuned up right. Other guys have had horror stories of bad QC. Some of them are great from the factory, others not so much... but IMHO once you're clearing the $1000 ceiling there's a lot better guns you can buy. I would buy the cheap DW 1911 (Heritage?) or a STI Spartan long before a typical Krapber. Of course I'm talking 5" and Commander length guns, not the tiny 1911s Krapber makes, those could be
worse. .

The only way I would buy a Krapber nowadays is if I got it used from someone I trusted, or I could run an acceptance test on the thing before purchasing it.

-Mike

I have a set of 2004 Kimber .45's and they're both beautiful and shoot perfectly well. Quite pleased with them. I also had a Stainless Target-II in 9mm that I bought in 2012 to shoot pins with. I liked that gun a lot and I'd still have it but I let my wife shoot it when I was trying to persuade her to start shooting a 9mm instead of a .380. and now it's hers. I had to put an ambi safety on it because she's left-handed, but that's the only thing I've done to it. I bought some TRIPP mags for it and she uses it for IDPA/USPSA.

I have a set of 2004 Kimber .45's and they're both beautiful and shoot perfectly well. Quite pleased with them. I also had a Stainless Target-II in 9mm that I bought in 2012 to shoot pins with. I liked that gun a lot and I'd still have it but I let my wife shoot it when I was trying to persuade her to start shooting a 9mm instead of a .380. and now it's hers. I had to put an ambi safety on it because she's left-handed, but that's the only thing I've done to it. I bought some TRIPP mags for it and she uses it for IDPA/USPSA.

I had never owned or even shot a Kimber until this past Spring. I was at Old Colony IDPA and the extractor on my 40 year old Colt Gov't broke. I was the last shooter on that stage and the extractor broke only three damn rounds into my run. I had a spare gun in the truck, but if you've ever shot at Old Colony you know how far of a walk it is from the IDPA pits to the main parking lot. Another guy in the squad, (a member here actually) let me use his stainless Kimber to re-do that stage, and the gun ran perfectly and smooth as butter. After that stage I jogged back and grabbed my spare, (a bare bones Norinco that I get laughed at for but that thing runs and I do just fine with it.)
I'm aware of problems with Kimber's QC in some guns, but that one was a real nice shooter. Not that I'm going to go out and buy one, but I don't automatically shit on Kimbers anymore. [wink]

Same here, always had a liking for little vest pocket autos (though I've carried a full size Gov't .45 during the cool months for many years.)

Its the same with breasts. Sometimes I like big ol' lunkers. Other times I like more petite, cereal bowl sized ones. [laugh]

I'm a lover of all sizes.

IMG_20170823_131801.jpg

The correct answer to your conundrum is:
Don't sell either gun. Go buy another one.

If that's an offer to fund my collection I'll take it.

Back
Top Bottom