EDC/Subcompact Carry Gun

the internal chassis and mechanics are identical between the PPS classic and M2. the only differences are the polymer and slide milling. it's otherwise anatomically identical. since the list reads "PPS" seems like it's just another type of interpretation on behalf of the dealer as to whether it's on or off list.

Lol, believe whatever you want, but the guns are not substantially similar other than the fact that they use a linkless browning action and have a similar trigger. The original feels like a piece of junk compared to the M2, to me they're two completely different guns. The PPS has a removable backstrap that disables the gun when removed, the M2 does not. that's a pretty big difference. They don't even use the same magazines.

Not that it matters anyways, because any dealer selling these is just doing a rugsweep job and because it's not a Glock, nobody will ever do anything about it, so don't fret. [laugh]

-Mike

been looking for a Bodyguard with no safety. no one has them ..and some say its LE only item?
frustrating

Got mine from First Defense in Uxbridge. There's a little cover that covers where the safety was. With the size of the safety it doesn't seem to matter to me if it was there or not.

Last edited:
Hey guys, another noob question. So If I do get the G43 in pieces, when I EFA-10 it, whats the proper way of doing it? I once heard you can skip the first page, (I was skimming a thread and I think Len said that but I'm not 100%) Once its filled will it be marked as a "built" gun, stock, just curious as I've never done one before. Thanks.

Hey guys, another noob question. So If I do get the G43 in pieces, when I EFA-10 it, whats the proper way of doing it? I once heard you can skip the first page, (I was skimming a thread and I think Len said that but I'm not 100%) Once its filled will it be marked as a "built" gun, stock, just curious as I've never done one before. Thanks.

Registration option... NO SELLER INFO. Just fill all the shit out in the form. (serial number, bbl length, etc) Done.

-Mike

the internal chassis and mechanics are identical between the PPS classic and M2. the only differences are the polymer and slide milling. it's otherwise anatomically identical. since the list reads "PPS" seems like it's just another type of interpretation on behalf of the dealer as to whether it's on or off list.

Lol, believe whatever you want, but the guns are not substantially similar other than the fact that they use a linkless browning action and have a similar trigger. The original feels like a piece of junk compared to the M2, to me they're two completely different guns. The PPS has a removable backstrap that disables the gun when removed, the M2 does not. that's a pretty big difference. They don't even use the same magazines.

Not that it matters anyways, because any dealer selling these is just doing a rugsweep job and because it's not a Glock, nobody will ever do anything about it, so don't fret. [laugh]
-Mike

...and the pps "m1" has a paddle mag release while pps m2 has a button mag release

I really do love my G43. I bought a Shield 45, and love to shoot it, but the stippling is so round against my skin while I carry it, that I much prefer the G43. I use a Buzzards Bay Tactical one clip holster, and in 2 seconds I put the holster in my shorts and forget it's even there. Maybe I'll get some Talon grips for the Shield 45 and switch over- who knows.

-Mike

the internal frame including all sear mechanism, trigger bar are identical
the slide and all internals are identical with the exception of different slide milling
the only different parts are the plastic trigger itself, the polymer shell that surrounds internal chassis and mag release. maybe a few other tiny plastic parts. otherwise the guts are identical.

this is what allowed walther to "redesign" the PPS but actually bring the price down. the older classic PPS models routinely sold for like $550+. the M2 is at least $100 cheaper.

Last edited:
Choosing a gun for EDC is a difficult thing... and IMHO requires some good thought.

1) You want to choose something small enough and light enough to carry... but you want to choose something that's pleasant to shoot, because if you're gonna EDC it you'll be practicing with it (hopefully) a lot.

2) You want something with reasonable capacity. OK, let's say in MA you want something that will allow you to max-out the unreasonable capacity you're allowed.

3) You want something g you shoot well

4) I, personally, want my carry gun to be stock

5) I, personally, want my carry gun to have some trigger resistance ... My carry gun isn't intended to be a target pistol or a range toy. I also want something with uniform trigger characteristics, so MY carry choice is DAO (or, DAK as the case may be). To be clear, I mean actual hammer-fired DAO not striker-fired "DAO".

Not a lot of people can shoot, or want to shoot, DAO in these days of 3 lb triggers on striker fired guns with barely 1/8th inch of trigger reset. I think that's too bad... but people get to choose their own tools.

I carry my 2007 vintage Walther PPS M1 and I love it. When I heard they were being discontinued I went and got a second one for backup. Both have the free state triggers BTW.

It rides in a Warthog Gear kydex/leather holster. Too bad it seems they went out of business. They made good holsters.

I don't understand the Shields popularity. I've fired three, one with an Apex. It was still dog shit. It's not even close. To a G43.

I really do love my G43. I bought a Shield 45, and love to shoot it, but the stippling is so round against my skin while I carry it, that I much prefer the G43. I use a Buzzards Bay Tactical one clip holster, and in 2 seconds I put the holster in my shorts and forget it's even there. Maybe I'll get some Talon grips for the Shield 45 and switch over- who knows.

Talon grips are good or you can go on Amazon and get a whole roll of that stuff for cheap and put it on anything that needs a grip. This is Talon Grip/gun tape material.

Safe Way Traction 2' X 12' Foot Roll of Black Resilient Rubberized ...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I511BDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdo_qrYwzb7PQ857J

OP - you really won't get anything definitive here (which I'm sure you know). Only way to decide is to go to range and try some options out.

For my $0.02, I'd go with with G43 or Shield. They are 9mm and low profile and very easy to carry. But, if capacity is import to you, Shield has an edge out of box. I'd stay away from .380 for personal defense, but that's my personal opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agree with above post , you need to shoot as many as you can. I carry a shield that has had a trigger job on it and
with the MagGuts+2 kit I have a single stack that is 10+1 and only 1/4" longer than the 8 round mag, but
I couldn't pocket carry it. In cooler months I carry a 9C or an XDM 3.8C .45 IWB
I also am a fan of the G43 and the XDS3.3, so go figure.
For pocket carry I used to carry a JFrame 642, it's so easy it's a no brainer , but I never pocket carry any more
so I sold it and got an SR22 for my wife when she got her permit.
this discussion could go on for 10 more pages LOL!

Keep this thread going long enough and you'll get a recommendation for every compact/sub compact made.
This!.. LOL...But then again, keep ANY thread on NES going long enough and you'll get recommendations for literally "every single everything" ever made!... Try it sometime: start a thread asking for recommendations about a good gun rack and see where that one takes you - especially when post number twelve or seventeen mentions the "great rack I found in that place in North Carolina years ago" and, well, from that point on it's pretty much "The horses are all in the gate...and...They're off!!" (and by the time you're "rounding the clubhouse turn" your question thread about racks has now earned at least five members an administrative warning, two are banned for a couple of weeks, and one repeat offender who still harbors that eerie Adrienne Barbeau fascination logs onto NES the morning after posting the pics from his old collection of High Society Magazine and sees the pop-up administrative message "Sorry, you're banned...Date you may return: Never")

Just sayin' [emoji6]

This!.. LOL...But then again, keep ANY thread on NES going long enough and you'll get recommendations for literally "every single everything" ever made!... Try it sometime: start a thread asking for recommendations about a good gun rack and see where that one takes you - especially when post number twelve or seventeen mentions the "great rack I found in that place in North Carolina years ago" and, well, from that point on it's pretty much "The horses are all in the gate...and...They're off!!" (and by the time you're "rounding the clubhouse turn" your question thread about racks has now earned at least five members an administrative warning, two are banned for a couple of weeks, and one repeat offender who still harbors that eerie Adrienne Barbeau fascination logs onto NES the morning after posting the pics from his old collection of High Society Magazine and sees the pop-up administrative message "Sorry, you're banned...Date you may return: Never")

Just sayin' [emoji6]
Haha maybe I'll ask about gunsafes later. But getting all the opinions is the fun part. For example the Walther debate in here. I never really ever looked at or shot a Walther so learning the differences of the old v new ones is an interesting read.

Also after reading threads like this I'm glad I found a place where the people know everything about the law instead of saying "that's illegal" or if you have an off list pistol and use it you are suddenly in deeper than you were, or any number of sterotypes I can care to think of. Like most of the LGSs or range guys say.

Plus it's the fourth and the fireworks aren't until night so I'll watch them here :).

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I pocket carry my PM9 year round. I give 0 ****s about the printing in jeans, and no one has ever noticed. It hides beautifully in shorts and dress pants.

Choosing a gun for EDC is a difficult thing... and IMHO requires some good thought.

1) You want to choose something small enough and light enough to carry... but you want to choose something that's pleasant to shoot, because if you're gonna EDC it you'll be practicing with it (hopefully) a lot.

2) You want something with reasonable capacity. OK, let's say in MA you want something that will allow you to max-out the unreasonable capacity you're allowed.

3) You want something g you shoot well

4) I, personally, want my carry gun to be stock

5) I, personally, want my carry gun to have some trigger resistance ... My carry gun isn't intended to be a target pistol or a range toy. I also want something with uniform trigger characteristics, so MY carry choice is DAO (or, DAK as the case may be). To be clear, I mean actual hammer-fired DAO not striker-fired "DAO".

Not a lot of people can shoot, or want to shoot, DAO in these days of 3 lb triggers on striker fired guns with barely 1/8th inch of trigger reset. I think that's too bad... but people get to choose their own tools.

I'm building myself one of these:
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/500678-agent-extra-small-steel-80-lower-frame.aspx
ordered enough parts to get the job started this week. I'll be sure to start a thread in the "build" section when I get started.

Bang for buck wise, it's tough to beat a SW Shield, plus you're allowed to buy one new in MA. I think you may have a day or so left for the rebate??? I could be wrong??

I love glocks, but I'm not a big fan of the 43.

LOL, I'm not a Glock lover but I am a fan of the G43 for pocket carry. I do have a few Tupperware guns, just because...

I don't understand the Shields popularity. I've fired three, one with an Apex. It was still dog shit. It's not even close. To a G43.

Better than a G43 All Day, every day.

IMG_0324.jpg

I have tried GLOCK 17, 19, 21, 22, 23, 26, 27. & 36. I do know where I can get GLOCKS for a fair price. My Dept has had GLOCKS that have FAILED and can not be carried anymore. GLOCK refuses to repair or replace them. POLICE Departments and Military buy GLOCKS cause they are simple, functional, more reliable than many brands and bottom line CHEAP. Departments and government agencies buy them for much lower than public. I have owned a few GLOCKS, "key" being "have owned". My M&P's have been just as reliable, cost less and have a grip I prefer. Not to mention a better warranty. Just my honest opinion.

I have owned my Shield since they first started entering Mass. (2012) It has been a good, reliable firearm with thousands if rounds through it.
and YES I do think beyond the functionality of the M&P's & GLOCKS... The M&P's are also a better looking firearm.

I do own and like S&W's. But I also do like, more refined and expensive firearms. HK's, CZ's and SIG's. (for carry I prefer M&P's "a work gun")

Last edited:
I really like the Bodyguard and it has become my de facto EDC gun. I don't think you can get one without a safety in Mass, but the safety is small and unobtrusive enough that I don't think you will accidentally activate it (no point in using the safety) I was going to get another one during the rebate offer but ended up getting a .45 Shield instead. Opted for the Apex trigger and am awaiting XS Sights, then will range test and see where we go from there. I would never overlook a J frame S&W though, but if you are wedded to semi-autos and want the smallest package, I think the S&W Bodyguard is hard to beat.

Kahr fan - PM9 and CP380 for pocket. Some hate the long trigger, but like anything else it just takes practice. Not a fan of safeties so I like it. If you're looking for nice little pocket carry, another good one for the summer is a Ruger LCP with a good trigger job or the new LCP II.

If you live in Mass I would attribute the popularity of the Shield to availability and price.

As for it's popularity nation-wide (over 1 million sold) it comes down to subjective opinion. In your opinion the Shield is dog shit but that's your opinion. Back in the revolver day you either liked Colt's or Smith and Wesson, drove a Chevy or a Ford. One thing too is aesthetics, people are attracted to things that look good or appeal to them. Pepsi Cola has changed its bottle design several times but Coca Cola has used the same bottle design for over a century. Why? It looks good to most people. For many of us the Glock, no matter how it performs objectively as a firearm looks just plain ugly whereas the Shield is a much more attractive package for a lot of people.

If you live in Mass I would attribute the popularity of the Shield to availability and price.

As for it's popularity nation-wide (over 1 million sold) it comes down to subjective opinion.

Smith has better marketing than most (except for maybe Krapber, lol) as well as dealer penetration. At the smallest dealers you will see S&W and Glock and barely anything else. Maybe Ruger. (I'm talking nationally, not MA retard market stuff) Smith will win on skinflint points easily because cheap, and most americans are skinflints. It's simple math, really. Ruger also ****ed up big time with the LC9 original version which left a bad taste in peoples mouths; and in the middle of all that, Remington shat out the horrible R51 that failed instantly. this rolled out the red carpet for Smith to win big with a pistol with a name that sounds like it comes from the feminine product aisle at CVS. Ironically I also think that smith not making enough 9mm Shields early on helped them. There weren't enough of them in the marketplace- this gave potential buyers the impression that "everyone was buying them so they must be really good". Even if this lack of stock wasn't Smith's intention, it paid off well. [laugh] It also helped them that in the post sandy hook era; there's this whole new crop of gun owners that wanted to latch onto the "I need a gun, cuz obama/hitlery/etc/unrest" crowd. Tons of people who never bought a gun in their life probably glommed onto the shield. The grip is ergonomic/comfortable and intuitive and the trigger is even good enough to satisfy people who don't know any better.

I don't think it's a horrible pistol, it's certainly serviceable, but I think it's popularity is mostly due to price, marketing, and timing more than anything else. IMHO when it comes down to it, though it doesn't hold a candle to an XDs, Ruger's new LCS 9, or the G43. This is why we have a bunch of different companies making guns, though- There's a seat for every ass, lol. I'm basically done with smith though, unless it involves a thing with a rotating cylinder or one of their old school guns like the 3rd gens. The quality control fails I've seen on M&Ps in the past couple of years has been disturbing.

-Mike

Last edited:
Smith has better marketing than most (except for maybe Krapber, lol) as well as dealer penetration. At the smallest dealers you will see S&W and Glock and barely anything else. Maybe Ruger. (I'm talking nationally, not MA retard market stuff) Smith will win on skinflint points easily because cheap, and most americans are skinflints. It's simple math, really. Ruger also ****ed up big time with the LC9 original version which left a bad taste in peoples mouths; and in the middle of all that, Remington shat out the horrible R51 that failed instantly. this rolled out the red carpet for Smith to win big with a pistol with a name that sounds like it comes from the feminine product aisle at CVS. Ironically I also think that smith not making enough 9mm Shields early on helped them. There weren't enough of them in the marketplace- this gave potential buyers the impression that "everyone was buying them so they must be really good". Even if this lack of stock wasn't Smith's intention, it paid off well. [laugh] It also helped them that in the post sandy hook era; there's this whole new crop of gun owners that wanted to latch onto the "I need a gun, cuz obama/hitlery/etc/unrest" crowd. Tons of people who never bought a gun in their life probably glommed onto the shield. The grip is ergonomic/comfortable and intuitive and the trigger is even good enough to satisfy people who don't know any better.

I don't think it's a horrible pistol, it's certainly serviceable, but I think it's popularity is mostly due to price, marketing, and timing more than anything else. IMHO when it comes down to it, though it doesn't hold a candle to an XDs, Ruger's new LCS 9, or the G43. This is why we have a bunch of different companies making guns, though- There's a seat for every ass, lol. I'm basically done with smith though, unless it involves a thing with a rotating cylinder or one of their old school guns like the 3rd gens. The quality control fails I've seen on M&Ps in the past couple of years has been disturbing.

-Mike

LC9s

Back
Top Bottom