• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EDC/Subcompact Carry Gun

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a sub-compact to EDC. Preferably a semi-auto that's comfy to carry around all day and has no external safeties. I'd take the easy way out and just get a G43, but for what I'd pay to get one in MA I'm thinking I could get a little more for my money with something else. Any help/recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

I had a bodyguard .380, not sure if one can be had sans safety, but it was so concealable, my phone printed more....I now have an LC9S, also carry swell in the pocket, and fires just fine!

There's a reason the S&W Shield is the #1 gun on Gunbroker month after month.

In MA get one & have an Apex trigger job & you're gtg.

M&P9c if you like it a little thicker grip w/doublestack 10-rd mags.

Last edited:
I have over 1,000 rounds through my LC9s and one FTE. And there's a reason no one makes a trigger kit for it. The buttery trigger is perfect the way it is. That said, I find it a little big for.picket carry and just got a Bodyguard 380.

If you don't like safeties, just leave the Bodyguard's off. Mine is so stiff I guarantee that flush safety won't get accidentally engaged. The trigger is a long, hard pull so I'm going to give it the Galloway kit.

Bang for buck wise, it's tough to beat a SW Shield, plus you're allowed to buy one new in MA. I think you may have a day or so left for the rebate??? I could be wrong??

I love glocks, but I'm not a big fan of the 43.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll definitely have to try out some LC9's & Shields at the range and see how they feel. I did shoot a bodyguard it shot well, it just didnt fit my hands. To throw out an idea I've been milling over. I've been looking at an HKp30sk with an LEM trigger at a LGS. Now while not as practical or cost effective, it is brand new, and the whole not MA kosher thing does pull at some heartstrings. Any opinions? Or to add practicality to that question, what about a carry gun that fits 10+1?

I like to carry the SIG P938 or Glock 43 in summer 90% of the time.

When I need to go smaller or lighter then I might go with the P238 or BG380 or G42.

Winter time I like to carry Glock 30s or G19.

walks in the woods are done with G21 with PB mag +5

Glock 43 or XDS 9, or that newer walther PPS M2 that's out.

Everything else, not really interested.... although if I had to skinflint I would probably be looking at the LC9S Pro.

Shield? No thanks. Not even a free state one. That said its just a matter of taste, if you buy one and repair it, and it works for you, then so be it. I won't be buying one, though.

-Mike

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll definitely have to try out some LC9's & Shields at the range and see how they feel. I did shoot a bodyguard it shot well, it just didnt fit my hands. To throw out an idea I've been milling over. I've been looking at an HKp30sk with an LEM trigger at a LGS. Now while not as practical or cost effective, it is brand new, and the whole not MA kosher thing does pull at some heartstrings. Any opinions? Or to add practicality to that question, what about a carry gun that fits 10+1?

Those are really thick, notice how the trend is toward 1" wide single stacks, the HK is like 1.4" wide, that's why they aren't popular. I don't like the LEM either but some do.

Like Mike mentioned it's a matter of taste. I really like my shield and it's very comfortable to carry all day. I shoot it well and that to me was very important since it's there for protection if ever needed and if just have a cool gun but can't shoot it for crap then what's the point. So for shooting and comfort carrying the shield is my recommendation.

I have over 1,000 rounds through my LC9s and one FTE. And there's a reason no one makes a trigger kit for it. The buttery trigger is perfect the way it is. That said, I find it a little big for.picket carry and just got a Bodyguard 380.

If you don't like safeties, just leave the Bodyguard's off. Mine is so stiff I guarantee that flush safety won't get accidentally engaged. The trigger is a long, hard pull so I'm going to give it the Galloway kit.

I agree about the safety. I hate safeties but bought the bodyguard because of the fact that the safety is stiff enough that it is not likely that I will accidentally engage it. Also, it was too good of a deal to pass up with the rebate on top of the sale price.

Take your Bodyguard to Saxonville Armory for the trigger job. Brought my Bodyguard and Santiago trigger kit to him to be installed after reading another recommendation on here. End result is a shorter, lighter trigger pull that I'm sure you won't be less than pleased with.

My father also bought a Bodyguard but took his up to Pullman Arms because they would drill the front sight and put a white insert in for him (cheaper than putting new sights on). They had the Santiago trigger kits in stock and installed one on his. They didn't do anything to lighten the trigger pull. The difference in the trigger pull between his and mine is night and day.

KtiV4S.jpg

Carried various Glocks for years. In warmer weather, now carrying a .45 Shield with no trigger job; it's fine right out of the box. It's easier to conceal than a Glock 26/27.

walther is running a $100 rebate on the PPS M2 so I finally picked one up. did a side-by-side comparision with my wife's M&P shield 9 and the G43. no comparison. the shield and G43 are great shooters but the PPS M2 walks all over both of them. the trigger is good and my favorite feature is the striker cock indicator on the rear of slide. similar to a hammer fired gun this allows one to put thumb over the slide during reholstering. in the event the trigger were being pressed it would be detected (similar to a hammer gun).

i'm amazed that walther is running a $100 rebate on the PPS M2. figured they would need the rebate to move their craptastic models like the CCP or creed but i ain't complaining!

a few years back i had a PPS classic that was also fantastic shooter, but i ended up having to sell it because the damn trigger dingus stung my finger. after ~40 rounds i simply couldn't shoot it anymore. non issue with the M2.

--

just posted today:

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep this thread going long enough and you'll get a recommendation for every compact/sub compact made.

Personally, I wanted to really like the G43. It's fine and reliable. I just shoot ok with it. But apples to apples, my Shield with Apex trigger wins in all categories.

Since you're looking for something without a MA premium, it's probably the best option.

The PPS M2 is very nice. I prefer it over the shield, but some shops seem to think the M2 is off list even though the original PPS is fine.

The Shield is a great carry gun but it's not a subcompact. The Sig P238 & P938 are far smaller however they have external safeties and if you're not comfortable carrying cocked & locked (1911 manual of arms) then it's probably not a good choice (I have owned all 3, still have the Shield and 938). I kinda wish I looked at the LC9 before I bought the 938 but I was so enamored w the 238 I just upgraded without checking other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want a small gun you still need a holster for, get the 43 or the Shield.

If you want an actual pocket gun, I still carry my Kel-Tec P3AT over anything else.

Happy with my G43. Struggled at first. Almost went with a 938. But no regrets with the G43. That said, despite having lots of glocks, I'm not a super fan boi. Lots of love for the SW Shield. After having and selling two M&P 9's, I'm not a personal fan of the plastic SW's

BG's can be had in Ma. without the safety. So can the Shield. Get a Sig P938 and go condition 1. You can have a good excuse to have a safety.

Last edited:
Keep this thread going long enough and you'll get a recommendation for every compact/sub compact made.

Personally, I wanted to really like the G43. It's fine and reliable. I just shoot ok with it. But apples to apples, my Shield with Apex trigger wins in all categories.

Since you're looking for something without a MA premium, it's probably the best option.

The PPS M2 is very nice. I prefer it over the shield, but some shops seem to think the M2 is off list even though the original PPS is fine.

The M2 is definitely off list, it's nothing like the original PPS other than being sorta kinda close in size. That said it's not really that hard to get one if someone's willing to do the legwork.

-Mike

Seecamp?

They don't get much subcompacter than that and still work. (I've got a .25 Bauer that is great for carry, if I need a concealable paperweight)

Seecamp?

They don't get much subcompacter than that and still work. (I've got a .25 Bauer that is great for carry, if I need a concealable paperweight)

I have the little stainless Bauer .25 too. It's more of a novelty than anything else. Takes up a tiny corner of the safe and never sees daylight. [laugh]

I never pocket carry, so all my carry guns go IWB. For many years my dead-of-summer gun was an East German Makarov 9x18 with Novak's sights. I do still carry that on occasion, but the Glock 42 has largely taken over the role of my summer gun. I have the "Mag gutz" spring and follower in all three of my G42 magazines so capacity is 7rnds rather than 6. Reliability is not lost with that upgrade. I guess it's strange to go from a full size all-steel 1911 .45 carry gun for the majority of the year, to a tiny featherweight Glock .380 for the brief summer months but I manage. I still compete with the 1911 year-round so I'm not losing my muscle memory on it.

I will also throw out a +1 to the Ruger LCP which I've had for several years and has come along with me on jogs and high activity (sweating my balls off) summer days when weight and concealability are top priority. Also makes a nice backup gun for the ankle.

Back
Top Bottom