"Do you have a gun?"

I know for certain this was the practice at Boston Medical Center. During my physicals when I was a teenager the medical assistant would ask if I carried a knife and/or gun.I know that it was noted that I carry a knife but have no idea what they did with that information. I have worked as an Ophthalmic Technician and sometimes we would flag patients files if they were problematic. But usually these would be things like male technicians only or let MD put in eye drops. I have seen flags for the occasional pervert but nothing about this person carries a knife or is a gun owner.
if you poke around on the web, you will find that such data and questions were used in many anti-gun agenda driven studies that have since run their course. That is, they published their conclusion, then invented the data to support it, it gained traction with the antis, was well refuted by subsequent studies and has since fallen out of favor, but still shows up in the moonbat community and/or in various states dumb enough to jerk their knees to writing laws requiring such crap...

There still appear to be antis in the AMA pushing this nonsense, but it seems to be losing steam with the Demunists shooting for a "gun friendly stance" in upcoming elections... (don't believe them, its a bit like the Brown Shirts running on a "diversity" platform).

My doctor has old tin gun advertising signs, stuffed animals and a display case full of arrowheads, skulls (animal and human) and various collectible and old Match ammo in his office waiting room. The examination room has a large poster of all the Colt handguns on the wall and some of the other rooms have various hunting and gun related art displayed.
Im not worried about him.
Have you confirmed with your DR that he has renewed his FID/LTC since 1998 and that the case is locked in compliance with MA law? [wink]

Last edited:
I lucked out, my doctor likes guns. He was making small talk during one of my appointments and asked if I had any plans to take advantage of the nice weather we were supposed to have that weekend, and I told him that I was going shooting. He the proceeded to talk about how he is also a gun enthusiast. I like my doctor.

My VA Dr doesn't ask about guns but always asks if I wear my seat belt.

The last time she asked, I responded..... "Every time I come in here you ask me that. Why don't you ask me if I have a table saw, swim in a pool or have bleach under my sink? Those questions are just as pertinent to my exam as your seat belt question. Are you required to ask that question or is that a personal issue with you? I'm here to be asked about my health issues and whether I wear seat belts or not is not one of those questions."

The exam was very cold after that.

I wonder if I'll get the same Dr next time I go in November.

Either AMA or the MA Med'l Society gen'd up this question on their standard questionnaire. I've seen it (with the associated copyright info on the bottom) on the forms that my Dr. uses to update our medical history occasionally. We never answer the question.

On the other hand, our Dr. used to see me with a gun when I worked for the PD. He's never asked the question. One of his Med Techs has two Sons currently serving in the Military and she has pictures of them shooting Skeet/Trap hanging over her lab bench. She's shot with them in the past.

This topic has been hashed out on this (and every other gun) forum before if you do a search.

Heh. I know my doc knows I have guns... and she's smart enough not to say anything about it again after I gave her chapter & verse once when she made a crack about it to me. The NP in her office that I see regularly knows I have 'em, too, and doesn't care, fortunately.

Funny occurance - yesterday at breakfast at the Lodge, the conversation shifted to computers (there were a few of us there old enough to remember "core"!) and one person commented that "you've got more computing power on your hip than they had on the moon missions!". And I was sitting there very confused, wondering what he was talking about - a Kahr K9 doesn't have any computing power... and then I realized he was pointing to my cell phone.
blush-anim-cl.gif

My doctor has old tin gun advertising signs, stuffed animals and a display case full of arrowheads, skulls (animal and human) and various collectible and old Match ammo in his office waiting room. The examination room has a large poster of all the Colt handguns on the wall and some of the other rooms have various hunting and gun related art displayed.

If I didn't know you lived on Nantucket, I'd be asking if your doc was taking on new patients.

Tell them that you will report them to the AMA. If they are not certified to teach firearm safety, it's called a "boundry violation". Jack.

Ooooo, report them to the AMA! The AMA is neither a licensing nor regulatory agency. In fact, many doctors don't belong to it. It is a lobbying organization for the most part. A liberal lobbying organization. Reporting this to them would likely result in an attaboy letter being sent to the doctor.

I've mentioned it here before. . . my kid's pediatrician asked during a routine exam a few years ago. When I expressed my displeasure, she said that she just wanted to make sure my kids were safe and offered some Eddie Eagle info and video. When my then 4 year old said she had "watched that movie a bunch of times" the Dr seemed "happy".

Come to find out her husband (also a DR) is an avid shooter

The only time I've ever been asked anything like this was when I was a teenager (still seeing my pedi). She asked if I ever felt the need to carry a knife, gun, or other weapon to feel safe. I said yes, and her jaw just dropped. Then I added "in the woods, them bears are vicious", she laughed, and that was that.

If my doctor (whom I've only met once when I switched GP's) asked me that question, I'd consider replying:

"Wow, that's quite a personal question Doc. Do you and your wife have sex with the lights on or off?"

IMO, it is MORE responsible to leave it at home vs. carrying w/o one in the pipe or being honest with oneself about using it.

i.e. Buddhists? conscientious objectors? ect

Agree that a lot of people who carry (or at least talk about carrying) would prove absolutely worthless if the need actually arose. Unfortunately that tends to be highly correlated with a lack of the honesty and introspection required to recognize that fact. OTOH, the sort of examples you present miss this reality.

• Buddhists? "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." -- The Dalai Lama, (May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times) speaking at the "Educating Heart Summit" in Portland, Oregon.
  • Conscientious objectors? Alvin York?

Ken

"Do you have a gun?"

"No, I just don't have the room for artillery with all my firearms taking up so much space."

The only time I've heard of this coming up is with pediatricians asking kids at check-ups..."is there a gun in the house?". Fortunately, this was not PC when our son was little. I don't know what we would have done, or what we would have told our son to say at the time since we try so hard to teach him to be honest and not tell folks to piss off [wink] We've gotten over that [laugh]

About ten years ago I did end up at the ER with a sprained knee and they did have my husband leave the room and ask me questions about feeling unsafe, etc. Trying to find out if I was abused. How they got that from a swollen knee, I have no idea. But it's probably SOP.[thinking]

About ten years ago I did end up at the ER with a sprained knee and they did have my husband leave the room and ask me questions about feeling unsafe, etc. Trying to find out if I was abused. How they got that from a swollen knee, I have no idea. But it's probably SOP.[thinking]

I got asked that when I checked myself into the ER a few months ago with chest pains - "Do you feel unsafe at home?" - I looked at the nurse and laughed at her.

I was asked about, and then subsequently harassed about gun ownership due to wearing a S&W t-shirt to a doctor's appointment one time. I never went back to that doctor.

Damn..WTF? my doctor has only ever asked questions related to my health or why I am there...Why would they give a crap about guns? even if I am carrying in the office he's never said anything..

Damn..WTF? my doctor has only ever asked questions related to my health or why I am there...Why would they give a crap about guns? even if I am carrying in the office he's never said anything..

Yea, I didn't get it either. He asked me to remove my shirt so he could check my breathing with the stethoscope and was like "What is this? S&W?" I told him "Yea, Smith & Wesson, I have a couple of their guns." and he started spewing off how they were dangerous and detrimental to hearing blah blah blah. I just laughed and told him I always wore proper ear and eye protection, completed the appointment and never went back.

...he started spewing off how they were dangerous and detrimental to hearing blah blah blah.

Y'know, them rock concerts can be mighty dangerous what with these kids nowadays and them loud speakers. Good thing I don't wear my Tool t-shirt at the doctor's office. [thinking]

I was under the impression that the only business a doctor had with your personal life was diet, exercise, or smoking/drinking.

If my doctor (whom I've only met once when I switched GP's) asked me that question, I'd consider replying:

"Wow, that's quite a personal question Doc. Do you and your wife have sex with the lights on or off?"

Similar to what I was thinking but more along the lines of "are you able to fully satisfy your wife/husband/partner?"[rofl]

Back
Top Bottom