"Do you have a gun?"

I've never been asked. But then, I rarely see doctors.

CALLER: Well, listen. I'm 81 years old, I went to my doctor three weeks ago and I had to renew a prescription and they're setting up a new computer program there. I went into the office and they took my blood pressure and all that, and then they started firing a lot of questions at me, health and all that, and finally they get to: "Do you own a gun?" "I'm 81." And then I said, "What's that for?" And they said, "Oh, it's for the protection of the children." Well, my four kids are in their fifties and they all can carry their own guns.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_072610/content/01125114.guest.html

i had a doc ask me if i was in fear of my life or being abused at home. i said yes, i have a 8 year old son (at the time). [laugh]

My doc is a hot shit, he's known me since I was 20. I get undressed and leave the gun on top of my clothes on the chair. When he has his nurse come in to do my EKG, he say "hide that thing so you don't scare her!" and laughs.

I recently had a checkup and when I took off my shirt the doctor just said the "mmm-hmmmph" that doctors like to make. No further conversation, and I felt like by not saying anything he was protecting my choice to carry as though it fell under patient doctor privilege. There was no reason for him to say anything.

If someone wanted that info for the purpose of putting it in software I would just say no. Theres no need for a Dr.'s office to have a database record with my name and that field set to "1".

My doctor, who I like, asked me this a few years ago. My answer was "several". He then asked me if I kept the ammo and firearms locked up separately. I told him it would defeat the purpose of having them. He hasn't brought it up since.

Yes, guns are for the protection of children and the entire family. If you don't own one, and you are not otherwise prohibited from owning one, you are not a responsible adult, IMO.

My wife is a medical transcriptionist. She transcribes doctors' exam notes that are very detailed, and often colored by personal impressions, all of which becomes a part of the patient's permanent record. As far as I know, she's never done a file where guns came up. So, I wonder what they DO with this information?

Yes, guns are for the protection of children and the entire family. If you don't own one, and you are not otherwise prohibited from owning one, you are not a responsible adult, IMO.

not really, there are a lot of sheep out there carrying guns, some even post on this very forum that would NEVER use them if the need arised. how about rich crack heads? or just people that know they are sheep? IMO, it is MORE responsible to leave it at home vs. carrying w/o one in the pipe or being honest with oneself about using it.

i.e. Buddhists? conscientious objectors? ect

it's an individual choice, not a blanket obligation.

i had a doc ask me if i was in fear of my life or being abused at home. i said yes, i have a 8 year old son (at the time). [laugh]

not really, there are a lot of sheep out there carrying guns, some even post on this very forum that would NEVER use them if the need arised. how about rich crack heads? or just people that know they are sheep? IMO, it is MORE responsible to leave it at home vs. carrying w/o one in the pipe or being honest with oneself about using it.

i.e. Buddhists? conscientious objectors? ect

it's an individual choice, not a blanket obligation.

Interesting statement there. I'm curious about that.

When we started taking our son to the pedi (he's one now) I made sure that IF it came up my wife knew to say NO (because it was none of his business and I don't think the guy would EVER ask). She seemed a little shocked that anyone would even have the balls to ask and she really doesn't even like the fact that I have them.

Never been asked about a firearm.

When asked in the ER about abuse in the home (with my wife right next to me) I said only when I ask her to...[wink]

It got a smile in response thankfully.

I know of people in other states who have been told by their doctor that they are "required to ask"....

By whom is not clear... The typical answer ranges from "go !@#$ yourself" to "no, I do not have A gun" [wink]

If I ever get asked, and I haven't yet, I think my reply would be "Is that probative to my sore throat and cough?" (or whatever I go in for)

Or to be a smart ass I could say, "Yes I do. I also have a water heater, bottles of bleach and a cat. Does that help in your diagnosis?"

My wife was recently asked at her first appointment with a new doctor. She lied. I was proud. Still want to know why they asked.

you guys must have pretty lame doctor's visits if they're asking you stupid questions like these. I've only been asked questions like "on a scale of 1 to 10 what is your pain level?," "where you wearing a helmet?," or "does it burn when you pee?" sort of stuff.

How about "Yes, that's why I asked your medical assistant to deduct two lbs from the number shown on the scale when she weighed me in today".

I know for certain this was the practice at Boston Medical Center. During my physicals when I was a teenager the medical assistant would ask if I carried a knife and/or gun.I know that it was noted that I carry a knife but have no idea what they did with that information. I have worked as an Ophthalmic Technician and sometimes we would flag patients files if they were problematic. But usually these would be things like male technicians only or let MD put in eye drops. I have seen flags for the occasional pervert but nothing about this person carries a knife or is a gun owner.

you guys must have pretty lame doctor's visits if they're asking you stupid questions like these. I've only been asked questions like "on a scale of 1 to 10 what is your pain level?," "where you wearing a helmet?," or "does it burn when you pee?" sort of stuff.

If I take my one year old to the pediatrician and he asks if it burns when I pee, we have bigger issues there, lol!

The Pedi used to ask my kids when they were younger, now they are 15, and 13. It hasn't been brought up to my knowledge. I always said yes, but if you need to know how many it could take a while, as I have lost count. But I only carry one on me at a time if that helps.

My doctor has old tin gun advertising signs, stuffed animals and a display case full of arrowheads, skulls (animal and human) and various collectible and old Match ammo in his office waiting room. The examination room has a large poster of all the Colt handguns on the wall and some of the other rooms have various hunting and gun related art displayed.
Im not worried about him.

Back
Top Bottom