• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you get DELAYED ?

That makes sense. It just seemed silly to have a dealer be on the hook for retrieval past asking them to return it.

Since they need a FFL from BATFE to continue in business, there is always the fear (and perhaps the threat) that failure to acquiesce to whatever BATFE asks/demands could result in losing their ability to sell guns?

-----------------

The asked and unanswered question above . . .

If denied or delayed >3 days with refusal to hand over the gun, can you cancel and get your money back??

Since I buy almost everything with credit cards, I know what action I would take if in that situation. I'd reverse the charges with my cc company. Thankfully, I've never had the problem and I'm usually dealing with only a handful of relatively local dealers (in other words I have a working relationship with them), so I would think neither one of us would try to screw the other party.

Since they need a FFL from BATFE to continue in business, there is always the fear (and perhaps the threat) that failure to acquiesce to whatever BATFE asks/demands could result in losing their ability to sell guns?

I would assume that's the reason they do it.

If denied or delayed >3 days with refusal to hand over the gun, can you cancel and get your money back??

And yeah that's a good question, I'd like to know as well.
My transaction was a transfer from someone else, so I had already paid :/

-----------------

Since I buy almost everything with credit cards, I know what action I would take if in that situation. I'd reverse the charges with my cc company. Thankfully, I've never had the problem and I'm usually dealing with only a handful of relatively local dealers (in other words I have a working relationship with them), so I would think neither one of us would try to screw the other party.

I have never been delayed or denied, but do you typically pay even if delayed and not able to take the gun that day? Seems like it would be a paid on delivery kind of thing to avoid situations where they have your money for a thing it turns out they can't sell you.

Its even a little worse with the transfer thing as you have already paid for it to a third party who has no further involvement.

I had the same thing happen at Pullman. I get it, its there policy, but they should tell you that before you start the process. I waited 2 weeks for them to get a response (proceed) from the feds.

2 weeks isn't bad my friend, I heard stories that people didn't get a proceed for 4-6 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I have never been delayed or denied, but do you typically pay even if delayed and not able to take the gun that day? Seems like it would be a paid on delivery kind of thing to avoid situations where they have your money for a thing it turns out they can't sell you.

Its even a little worse with the transfer thing as you have already paid for it to a third party who has no further involvement.

Obviously I cant speak for all dealers but, at Academy you don't pay until you are walking out the door with the gun. If you get a delay the boxed gun is labeled w/ your name, phone number and date of the delay. Then it is put in the hold safe until either we get a response or the 30 days runs out and you need to resubmit a new 4473. A customer can call at any time to say they changed their mind or got it somewhere else, whatever. We just pull the tag and throw it back in one of the other safes.

It was the same when I was running the sporting goods dept at wally world. You don't pay until after the actual transfer has taken place. Meaning you have signed the line re-certifying your info and we have removed it from our inventory. Payment and perp-walk are the last 2 steps of the sale. I'm willing to bet that this is typical for most if not all box stores.

2 weeks isn't bad my friend, I heard stories that people didn't get a proceed for 4-6 weeks.

Then you have heard bullshit stories. After 30 days the 4473 expires. When you submit the form NICS kicks back a submitted date, certified date and expiration date. After 30 days that submission is no good and you have to fill out a new form and resubmit. I have seen some come back on the 27th-28th day. But anyone who told you they got a proceed after 6 weeks is completely full of shit.

Then you have heard bullshit stories. After 30 days the 4473 expires. When you submit the form NICS kicks back a submitted date, certified date and expiration date. After 30 days that submission is no good and you have to fill out a new form and resubmit. I have seen some come back on the 27th-28th day. But anyone who told you they got a proceed after 6 weeks is completely full of shit.

So if it take 4 weeks and the app is closed and they come in and do another one and it take 2 weeks .. was that not a total of 6 weeks ?!

My son gets delayed every time. It first came to light when he was applying for a CCW permit in his state of residence. It seems that a court dismissal of a criminal charge never got entered into the system. I got a copy of the docket sheet, scanned and emailed it to him, and he brought that to the county court house. The nice lady there called the court house up here and confirmed that. He got his license that same day. The information was sent to the MSP and was supposed to be entered into the system.

Still, he gets delayed every time. The FFL he uses waits three days and calls him to pick up his gun if he gets no reply from NICS. Of course this is one of the most 2A friendly states, so it's likely different here.

It's a PITA, but apparently less of a PITA than getting a UPIN.

I get a delay when making purchases, and have applied for my UPIN. I applied in May, and called up last month for a status update. The voice mail said they just started processing applications from a year ago. I'm not holding my breath waiting for mine.

It depends. Like Wrench mentioned, big box stores or larger volume shops with a ton of inventory can afford to sit on a firearm for a month or two while the FBI gets their shit together. Small/Medium shops, it's a little bit harder to have a portion of their inventory unavailable to sell and not paid for.

I've seen people want to pay, others want to wait, and others who waited and never came back for the firearm (that's the most frustrating part, it's not the shops fault you got a delay).

One thing that LenS mentioned, being a regular at a shop gets you a little leeway on the payment. If it's your first time in the shop, get delayed, tie up a $1k firearm, don't be surprised if you get asked to put something down, half isn't uncommon.

I can see how it would be a problem holding something for that long with no payment and maybe not able to sell it in the end. This comes back to the shop and whether they let things go after 3 days. I know i'm not a PP, if I got a delay and was sure they would release in 3 days or sooner its easier for me to put a deposit or pay for it and wait.

If I'm looking at "When the feds get around to calling us to let us know" I don't know if its going to be 1 day or a month. In that case I feel like it would be suspicious for me to go "Well, since I can't be sure its going to be soon, and you have a nonsense policy of holding the gun until they say proceed, don't bother" I'm sure that would be enough of a red flag for the shop to turn around and call the ATF or local police and now i'm dealing with that. (As a note I don't blame them for that looking suspicious, its just a bad situation created by that policy) But in that particular case i'm not going to be quick to lay down money as a deposit when I know its their policy and not law that might hold up the process.

I can see how it would be a problem holding something for that long with no payment and maybe not able to sell it in the end. This comes back to the shop and whether they let things go after 3 days. I know i'm not a PP, if I got a delay and was sure they would release in 3 days or sooner its easier for me to put a deposit or pay for it and wait.

If I'm looking at "When the feds get around to calling us to let us know" I don't know if its going to be 1 day or a month. In that case I feel like it would be suspicious for me to go "Well, since I can't be sure its going to be soon, and you have a nonsense policy of holding the gun until they say proceed, don't bother" I'm sure that would be enough of a red flag for the shop to turn around and call the ATF or local police and now i'm dealing with that. (As a note I don't blame them for that looking suspicious, its just a bad situation created by that policy) But in that particular case i'm not going to be quick to lay down money as a deposit when I know its their policy and not law that might hold up the process.

I think I'm half asleep but I have no idea what u just said

Although I've never been delayed, the current system (whereby NICS goes down on busy gun show weekends) would really give me pause wrt buying from a "distance dealer" at a gun show. There is a dealer from the Springfield area that does a landmine business at the shows, all good reports . . . but the prospect of 3+ hours of driving there days/weeks later to pick something up would certainly dampen my spirits about almost any "deal" I might see at a show. Not so big a problem if the dealer is within an hour in an area that I might normally travel anyway.

I think I'm half asleep but I have no idea what u just said

Basically normal shops letting it go within 3 days I would be willing to put down money for the gun no problem. The policy they have especially if you don't know it beforehand so you can avoid the shop just put you in a position where you have to be a jerk (Tell them to cancel the sale since you can't be sure how long it will be tied up) because they don't follow the law. And if you do that, they might jam you up because it seems suspicious that when delayed you decide not to bother.

I suppose that you could ask the shop what the terms and conditions would be if they get a delay before you put the money down. Jack.

That's another option, but if you have a store policy like this what would be the harm in putting a sign up or telling people first? I have personally never been delayed so I never would have thought to ask until seeing this thread.

If you were getting handguns in NH the NH nics POC for handguns is pretty much garbage (way understaffed) and there are a lot of "administrative delays" that have nothing to do with whether or not someone matches even partially in the indexes they use.

-Mike
Sometimes, there is no reason. Wife and I each purchased firearms at Elite Outpost in Spanish Fort, Alabama a few years before moving to MA. She got the OK on the spot. Myself and two other guys behind me got "delays". Three delays in a row for three completely different men within a 20-minute span of time? I was cleared within a few hours, which meant a 30-minute ride back to pick up my Remington 870. Never heard what happened to the other guys, though. Manager said that there could be a number of causes, but would not elaborate further.

I wish I could buy from FS and some of the other well-known and well-like LGSs around, but I get delayed every single time and it's not worth driving for hours twice. Too bad, really.

it is illegal to call in a background check without paperwork being completed and signed by the customer, only after it is signed may a dealer initiate a background check on the person.

If that is what he's doing. Is there a difference in result (More delays one way or the other) between using the online form for the NICS check or calling it in? Assuming in this case paperwork filled out correctly and such.

If that is what he's doing. Is there a difference in result (More delays one way or the other) between using the online form for the NICS check or calling it in? Assuming in this case paperwork filled out correctly and such.

As far as calling in or using the online check to initiate a background check, there is no difference on result. I have been using online check since the system came online and the customers who usually get delayed regardless if they are buying at my shop or at another shop calling it in.

Back
Top Bottom