• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you carry a pre-ban mag?

Neither of you fear a local dumbass officer reinterpreting something for himself?
If you feel this level of fear when carrying, think about it this way. If you come across a LEO that is this mental about a civilian carrying, it isn't the size of the magazine, it is going to be the mere fact that a peasant has the nerve to try and protect him or her self. As far as I know the only people who have gotten charged with a magazine problem are the cases where that was the least offensive on a long list of felony offences. In other words, somebody does something so stupid they get arrested and charged with a big list.

That's not necessarily true. I had a client (Class A LTC) who stopped at his friend's crash site. Cops smelled alcohol and arrested him for carrying under the influence, possession of a large capacity firearm without an LTC (Felony - can't be heard in the District Court) , and improper storage of a high capacity firearm (another Felony - can't be heard in the district court)

They wouldn't dismiss the bogus felony charges until my client pleaded to the carrying under the influence (CWOF)

Was your client the one that got arrested for the above or was it your client's friend who got arrested? Client has an LTC but was arrested for not having the LTC on his person while carrying? Which would be insane. If it's the client's friend who has no LTC was DUI and carrying, then the charges makes more sense.

Was your client the one that got arrested for the above or was it your client's friend who got arrested? Client has an LTC but was arrested for not having the LTC on his person while carrying? Which would be insane. If it's the client's friend who has no LTC was DUI and carrying, then the charges makes more sense.
Client with LTC was charged with carrying a Large capacity without an LTC.

Yes, it was insane. The DA in the District Court wouldn’t dismiss without a plea on the carrying while intoxicated charge. The alternative was to demand a probable cause hearing and bring it to Superior Court.

I carry a G17 in the colder months and use the 10 round mags only for the range. When I carry it, I carry with a 17 rd pre-ban, and my spare mag is a 17 rd with a +6 extension.

17+6=economical mini happy stick.

To further illustrate the comical premise by comparing your G17 carry to someone carrying a M&P in MA: Extension adds 1". 23 rds vs 10 rds cripple mag. You would have 40 rds in two mags. The person carrying a M&P would have 20 rds.

G17vs_MP_Mags_400.jpg

17+6=economical mini happy stick.

To further illustrate the comical premise by comparing your G17 carry to someone carrying a M&P in MA: Extension adds 1". 23 rds vs 10 rds cripple mag. You would have 40 rds in two mags. The person carrying a M&P would have 20 rds.

G17vs_MP_Mags_400.jpg

+1 in the pipe.

Never really understood why some carry a full/mid-size in MA that has no prebans. M&P, VP9, Ruger SR, etc. If you're going to carry a bigger gun, then at least go with one that enables full mag capacity.

If you're caught with >10 standard cap mags, you already did something stupid and are going to get f***ed regardless.

I've not read of a single case of someone being charged and convicted solely for carrying post-ban standard cap mags that hold more than 10 rounds.

If CT do you mean Connecticut? Be aware that preban mags mean nothing in CT. If you didn't register the mag capable of holding over 10 rounds a few years ago, it's not legal to be in possession of in the state regardless of when it was manufactured.

If it was registered, CT limits carry capacity to ten rounds regardless of the mag capacity.
That's not necessarily true. I had a client (Class A LTC) who stopped at his friend's crash site. Cops smelled alcohol and arrested him for carrying under the influence, possession of a large capacity firearm without an LTC (Felony - can't be heard in the District Court) , and improper storage of a high capacity firearm (another Felony - can't be heard in the district court)

They wouldn't dismiss the bogus felony charges until my client pleaded to the carrying under the influence (CWOF)
How could they charged him for carrying without a license if he is in fact licensed?

Was it not on his person?

Improper storage sounds like an incredibly superfluous and ridiculous charged to tack on.

Client with LTC was charged with carrying a Large capacity without an LTC.

Yes, it was insane. The DA in the District Court wouldn’t dismiss without a plea on the carrying while intoxicated charge. The alternative was to demand a probable cause hearing and bring it to Superior Court.
Sounds like they purposely tacked it on to make it seem like he was getting a deal by removing the bullshit charge. Was it the police or the DA that tacked it on?

So you are saying you know your Glock 22 is overpriced? ;) (i miss the old rofl emoji)
I see what you did there, you sly bastard you!

For the record, it's not overpriced, considering it comes with extras. Also, I never said that's the Glock I picked up cheap, did I? ;)

P.S. - mods, we need more emojis!

No. Ive had too many issues with them during USPSA shoots and in training. I sold the 10 that I had and went to all brand new neutered mags. It sucks, but the alternative could be worse.

How the hell do you conceal a double stack pistol with two extra mags on a daily basis? What a giant PITA.

I'm not buying that in the event of an attack, I'll need 30 rounds to go to war. I'm not LEO. Just enough to GTFO out of a hairy situation (which statistically is 3-4 rounds. source )

Don't throw logic into this discussion. I'd carry a spare for the lone reason of common malfunctions are magazine related.

How the hell do you conceal a double stack pistol with two extra mags on a daily basis?

Put it in AWB holster. Put holster in pants. Do not tuck in shirt(s). Plus I don't worry about printing. Most random normies you will encounter on a daily basis are completely oblivious to their surroundings and have zero situational awareness. Which is why you can walk around in the summertime in shorts and a t shirt with a Glock 19 on your hip and nobody will be the wiser... Unless of course they themselves are also carrying, but who really cares in that case?

As to OP's question, no I don't carry or even own any prebans. Waste of money. I'm pretty quick with mag changes and am unlikely to get in a gunfight.

Put it in AWB holster. Put holster in pants. Do not tuck in shirt(s). Plus I don't worry about printing. Most random normies you will encounter on a daily basis are completely oblivious to their surroundings and have zero situational awareness. Which is why you can walk around in the summertime in shorts and a t shirt with a Glock 19 on your hip and nobody will be the wiser... Unless of course they themselves are also carrying, but who really cares in that case?

As to OP's question, no I don't carry or even own any prebans. Waste of money. I'm pretty quick with mag changes and am unlikely to get in a gunfight.
90% of people are glued to their phone screens anyways!

I'm pretty quick with mag changes and am unlikely to get in a gunfight.
You are not "pretty quick" unless the new mag is fully seated before the ejected one hits the ground. Travis Tomasie can explain this.

LCAFD charges in MA come up on situations where other stuff is going on like running an undocumented mobile pharmacy; not having and LTC; etc. A self defense shooting would qualify as "other stuff" and you can assume that the examination of the gun will include a check to see if any > 10 round mag is provably post-ban.

i would just say - i have no idea who and how would be able, say, to establish if any particular non-OEM 15 or 17 rd mag is a pre-ban or not.
like, a KCI made one. or a one with a no signed base plate at all. but, would not like to be on the receiving end of a such process.

on the topic - i do carry g17 with a pre-ban 17 rounder, of course. last one i got costed me $175. nothing to like about that.

Carry a Glock 27 with a flush fitting mag. Spare preban 22 in a horizontal belt holster or pocket. If I’m ever in a rough enough spot to need to reload I’ll take all the rounds I can get. Will say though that the spare mag I carry is one of those bright orange ones so there should be little doubt it’s preban.

I posted something similar to this in another thread, was at an IDPA match recently and a guy who is AUX police was arguing with me that you can own preban mags but only can carry it loaded to 10 rounds.

Should have told him you only put eight rounds in them to score brownie points with the range officer. Just goes to show Aux. Police can have their head up their ass also.

I hope you got at least three of them for that kind of cash :oops:
?
you apparently not up to speed what those pre-ban glock 17 mags cost. :) it sucks.
and every day they cost more. some individuals sell them now at gunbroker for $250, but, no one buys at that price, of course. a $160-$175 is somewhat reasonable for now, for a square notch good condition 17rd pre-ban...

You're in WAY hotter water than a traffic stop if the cop is checking your mags.
People say that but I worked for a Chief who would demand a gun be handed over if someone said they had one. Then he'd "clear" it for "officer's safety". He'd check to see if it was an "illegal mag" or not. Illegal search? Nah, they handed it over voluntarily! So of course he had to make sure it was safe and unloaded.

People say that but I worked for a Chief who would demand a gun be handed over if someone said they had one. Then he'd "clear" it for "officer's safety". He'd check to see if it was an "illegal mag" or not. Illegal search? Nah, they handed it over voluntarily! So of course he had to make sure it was safe and unloaded.

Seems like " i do not consent to a search, but I will comply with your order" would get that kicked. At least you'd hope.

Back
Top Bottom