• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you carry a pre-ban mag?

GeorgeMason

NES Member
This is a question for all the Glock and Beretta EDC’rs. Do you carry your pre-bans? Or are they just for a better range experience? I certainly see the appeal of five or seven extra rounds. However, I fear a traffic stop with an uninformed officer that leads to me losing my freedom, time, money, my good name and who knows what else for lawfully carrying a pre-ban mag. It’s on me to prove it’s pre-ban in that situation correct? Is the risk of that kind of nonsense worth the 5-10 extra rounds? I’m sure that the commonwealth wouldn’t be bending over backwards to help you corroborate that you’re within the law. What say you NES?

I carry two pre-ban 17 mag's with plus two bases, plus a low cap mag in the G-26 with one in the pipe, I like having 49 rounds of ammo in a small package.
What the Cop don't know wont hurt him or her, plus why would they be checking my Mag situation for a traffic stop.

Jason.

I carry two pre-ban 17 mag's with plus two bases, plus a low cap mag in the G-26 with one in the pipe, I like having 49 rounds of ammo in a small package.
What the Cop don't know wont hurt him or her, plus why would they be checking my Mag situation for a traffic stop.

Jason.

I agree that 99.something percent of traffic stops would never lead to the situation I’m describing. But with this state being as anti as it is, I don’t see it as that far fetched either...
Also, damn you must have a good gunbelt to hold all that up.

This is a question for all the Glock and Beretta EDC’rs. Do you carry your pre-bans? Or are they just for a better range experience? I certainly see the appeal of five or seven extra rounds. However, I fear a traffic stop with an uninformed officer that leads to me losing my freedom, time, money, my good name and who knows what else for lawfully carrying a pre-ban mag. It’s on me to prove it’s pre-ban in that situation correct? Is the risk of that kind of nonsense worth the 5-10 extra rounds? I’m sure that the commonwealth wouldn’t be bending over backwards to help you corroborate that you’re within the law. What say you NES?

You're in WAY hotter water than a traffic stop if the cop is checking your mags.

To answer your question, every day, twice on Sundays, and soon even in CT after my class at MFS on the 16th. Extras too. ALL-WAYS

There is no duty to inform in MA. Unless specifically asked, do not volunteer.

If you are specifically asked, answer "I am licensed to carry, and I am carrying. How would you like to proceed?"

Never say gun. ever

Prebans aren't illegal, so who cares about the overzealous cop? The worst case scenario seems to be that they might put you in cuffs or even truck you back to the station until a non-idiot cop shows up to straighten things out.

I think the bulk/weight argument against carrying 50 rounds is more compelling. The odds of getting into a Miami shootout-type event are pretty damn slim to be carrying that much ammo around all day every day. $0.02.

Jason.

Good lord that's a lotta boolits!

Yes. I mean, God forbid, if you have to use your firearm here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts, you're already screwed so my standard capacity Glock mags are what I carry...I'd rather have it if I need it than not.

I'd rather fight it out in court than be crouching behind a car or a pew with no ammo left.

This is the sentiment that wins for me when I’m having this debate in my head while getting ready in the morning.

You're in WAY hotter water than a traffic stop if the cop is checking your mags.

To answer your question, every day, twice on Sundays, and soon even in CT after my class at MFS on the 16th. Extras too. ALL-WAYS

There is no duty to inform in MA. Unless specifically asked, do not volunteer.

If you are specifically asked, answer "I am licensed to carry, and I am carrying. How would you like to proceed?"

Never say gun. ever

I’ve only had two two traffic stops while carrying and both were super easy and pleasant. I always go by the guidelines you’ve listed above and certainly don’t engage in the type of the behavior that would lead to needing to be disarmed. That being said, it only takes one blow hard rookie cop who doesn’t know what he’s talking about to really eff your week up. I suppose asking to call his supervisor in would probably be the thing to do.

Good lord that's a lotta boolits!

Its two Mags that fit inside of my Carhartt pants side pocket like they where made for it. Its really not a lot, plus its not so much the amount of ammo its for a failure or a Jam with the Mag in the gun.
And all I have for spares is standard Cap Mags ( High Cap to the state ) so what would you like me to load them up with only ten LOL.

Jason.

what's the sense of owning pre bans if not to use? in this state, that's a lot of money tied up just to show and tell.

2 questions i've never been asked...ever...by anyone (except a newbie)
1. is that a pre ban magazine?
2. is that a pre ban ar?

damn right you are!

Its two Mags that fit inside of my Carhartt pants side pocket like they where made for it. Its really not a lot, plus its not so much the amount of ammo its for a failure or a Jam with the Mag in the gun.
And all I have for spares is standard Cap Mags ( High Cap to the state ) so what would you like me to load them up with only ten LOL.

Jason.

I commend the effort. I would never be the ass clown that would advocate for carrying LESS ammo. Mo mags, is mo better.
The whole 10 rounds is enough argument, is so stupid it's painful. It's like sorry ran out of my 10 pews, I can die now.
If I could carry 200 rounds I would. You go girl!

G19 1+15 and a spare 17.

Just got a G43 and carry that mostly now. I carry it with a spare mag 1+6+6. I have Taran Tactical +1 and +2 base plates on the way, carrying with those will give me the same round count as the G19.

At the range I only use 10-round mags. When carrying, it's also pre-bans. I don't live in fear of some random LEO with an itch to scratch inspecting my mags - if anything I would be more concerned about him wanting to inspect my AR because the rifle case is in the open (doesn't fit in the trunk) on the way to the range, but I'm not.

Never really understood why some carry a full/mid-size in MA that has no prebans. M&P, VP9, Ruger SR, etc. If you're going to carry a bigger gun, then at least go with one that enables full mag capacity.
Agreed.

If you have PBs and you aren't carrying them, you've wasted your money. (unless we're talking stuff that isn't reliable enough to safely use in a carry gun).

IMHO if you're at the "stage" where a LEO is actually examining your mag on the side of the road... you're pretty much going to get screwed anyways, regardless of the capacity of the magazine. That's not something that normally ever happens on a "traffic stop" unless there's a bunch of mutual retardation between the gun carrier and the LEO being stupid simultaneously. I've probably been stopped more than most people on this board (Let's put it this way, for a short streak, I had auto insurance that cost me $4000 a year..... cuz tickets, thank god haven't been stopped in a long time...) and I've only ever had the "gun thing" come up ONCE on a traffic stop, and it was not a negative thing. Then again I'm not one of those chuckleheads that holds his LTC out the window the moment he gets pulled over, either... and I don't act like a dick to the LEOs, either.

As far as "burden" - Legally speaking no, if the state wants to convict you they have the burden of proof to do so- but functionally speaking none of that matters up front in terms of the world of shit someone can get into, functionally. Nobody ever gets charged on a standalone mag charge anyways, or rarely. Chances are if it goes that far you've done something else bad (like DUI, or Carrying under influence, road rage/ ADW, shit like that. All of which are pretty easy to steer clear of)- but my point is, if someone was going to find themselves in this situation, a "postban mag charge" is likely just going to be one of
several felonies one is dealing with.

-Mike

If I had a G19 w/pre-bans I definitely would. But I’m not paying 850.00 for one and another 100.00 a piece for the mags.

For now it’s usually a G43 w/a TLR6 and a +1 in the well, 2 Taran + 3’s on my hip, an LCP II in a stretch wrap boot holster w/2 more for that, and usually have a Black Widow in my front pocket. All very comfortable and hardly notice they’re there and I’m not a big guy by any means.

I posted something similar to this in another thread, was at an IDPA match recently and a guy who is AUX police was arguing with me that you can own preban mags but only can carry it loaded to 10 rounds.

i don't carry my g19 now that i have my pps m2...but i was never able to find prebans that weren't priced stupid high...but have found some that are questionably prebans that are being sold as prebans...all it takes is one dumb cop to jam you up and lawyers aren't cheap

well in NH this is not an issue, but I have large capacity mags with +2 base plates on many of my magazines for the 17, 22's and 26

Hell I even have a 33 round mag for the 17 that fits in the 26.

I will use a 10+2 in the 26, with a couple of 17+2's in my jacket pocket.

The only 10 round magazines I have are the 10 ten round mags that came with a G22 I bought from a member here in 2008 !

I use those for range days.

I don't carry my Model 60 without 3 speed strips in my pocket.

Their job is to prove the pre-ban mag is not pre-ban. It's your lawyers job to sue the shit out of them when they ,are wrong.

If I had a G19 w/pre-bans I definitely would. But I’m not paying 850.00 for one and another 100.00 a piece for the mags.
Wait, what? Last Glock I bought was $400 and I've never paid more than like $40 for pre-bans.

Back
Top Bottom