• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you carry a pre-ban mag?

To answer your question, every day, twice on Sundays, and soon even in CT after my class at MFS on the 16th. Extras too. ALL-WAYS

If CT do you mean Connecticut? Be aware that preban mags mean nothing in CT. If you didn't register the mag capable of holding over 10 rounds a few years ago, it's not legal to be in possession of in the state regardless of when it was manufactured.

If it was registered, CT limits carry capacity to ten rounds regardless of the mag capacity.

How the hell do you conceal a double stack pistol with two extra mags on a daily basis? What a giant PITA.

I'm not buying that in the event of an attack, I'll need 30 rounds to go to war. I'm not LEO. Just enough to GTFO out of a hairy situation (which statistically is 3-4 rounds. source )

Yes. One 15 round in the pistol and a spare 17. There are very few circumstances where pre/post ban status could be an issue. Cops I’ve encountered don’t really know the difference and generally don’t give a shit.

How the hell do you conceal a double stack pistol with two extra mags on a daily basis? What a giant PITA.

I'm not buying that in the event of an attack, I'll need 30 rounds to go to war. I'm not LEO. Just enough to GTFO out of a hairy situation (which statistically is 3-4 rounds. source )
With a size L untucked button down it doesn’t sound like too much trouble actually. Then again, I don’t really consider printing to be a concern.

It's actually pretty easy. Shoulder rig during he cold weather, belly band during the winter sometimes or the Galco.

I don't want to lose my life or not be able to protect my family because of 'statistics'

Ah, belly band I can see working, especially if you wear fluffy or super loose clothing. Still, that's like 3 lbs of weight pulling on your love handles :eek:

I wonder if you could sue if you were arrested and found not guilty with pre ban mags.

Yup, a G19 pre ban gives me +5 with no added grip length. Seems like a no brainer to me as I don't carry a backup mag. I just shoot a mags worth at the range once in a blue moon for peace of mind.

If a LEO ever had reason to check out the mag I'm carrying, I'd have much bigger problems so I don't see a reason to worry.

Good leather, good belt, a jacket that holds the mags?

I used to conceal it PLUS a model 13 in a shoulder holster under my work uniform .

How I ended up with my 3914 was the natives were restless after the Rodney King thing, and I had to work in the war zone...

I went to Four Seasons and told the guy behind the counter I needed something concealable , 9mm and 2 extra magazines ( it was May and hot out, no sweaters or jackets) and he said " I have just the thing but you are not going to like the name " (Lady Smith& Wesson)

I left with it and carried it for quite a while instead of the G17 I normally carried.

I wasn't going down without a fight.....

Going rate on u-notch pre-ban 9mm right now is in the $75+ range and for square notch $90+. If you find them for less, you have found a deal.
You'd be nuts to pay those prices. I don't find deals, I just don't jump on the first ridiculously overpriced offer I see. YMMV

I must be looking in the wrong places for Beretta 92 pre-bans. If you have a pistol that you carry and pre-bans are an option it's silly not to try and utilize your firearm to it's fullest potential.

I don't even carry a pistol, just four full capacity magazines.

Just in case.

Years ago I EDCed and double stack metal framed pistol. Now that I am older and fatter a single stack polymer one is so much easier and standard cap mags for it are already under 10 rounds so no concern either way.

If I had a G19 w/pre-bans I definitely would. But I’m not paying 850.00 for one and another 100.00 a piece for the mags.

Don't get your Glocks at the Four Seasons. I've seen trade ins and Gen 2 in north shore gun stores for reasonable prices. Or try your luck in the classifieds

Ah, belly band I can see working, especially if you wear fluffy or super loose clothing. Still, that's like 3 lbs of weight pulling on your love handles :eek:

As someone who carried a 229 w/ a spare before going to a G43. The weights is pretty much negligible if you spring for a heavy duty belt.

Neither of you fear a local dumbass officer reinterpreting something for himself?

Prebans aren't illegal, so who cares about the overzealous cop? The worst case scenario seems to be that they might put you in cuffs or even truck you back to the station until a non-idiot cop shows up to straighten things out.

I think the bulk/weight argument against carrying 50 rounds is more compelling. The odds of getting into a Miami shootout-type event are pretty damn slim to be carrying that much ammo around all day every day. $0.02.

Well there are gun shops and LEOs that will swear up and down that it's illegal to own a Glock in Mass, so yes, there is always a chance of some dumbass cop jamming you up and never count on a supervisor knowing a pre-ban from a post-ban mag. Everyone and their brother swears by that online picture of 7 or 8 "generations" of Glock mags being gospel . . . of course Glock's experts refute the keyboard warrior experts, but what do they know.

If one is really paranoid, the solution is not to carry a Glock at all or any gun that's made to take >10 rds. But most of us don't go around worrying about such things and therefore will carry the max rds available legally for the EDC.

Mags fail, I've had it happen and that is the bigger reason to carry >1 mag. Also gang-bangers in places like Brockton and Murderpan often run in groups, so unless you can put each one down with a single shot 100% of the time while amped up in a life or death situation, more is better.

I posted something similar to this in another thread, was at an IDPA match recently and a guy who is AUX police was arguing with me that you can own preban mags but only can carry it loaded to 10 rounds.

I read this and thought, that's so full of stupid, but then I re-read AUX-police. Then I understood LOL

Going rate on u-notch pre-ban 9mm right now is in the $75+ range and for square notch $90+. If you find them for less, you have found a deal.

If you can find a pile of square notch 9mm pre ban mags in new condition for $90, let me know. I'll empty my bank account to buy them at that price.

I'm so glad I'm not burdened by such bullshit trivial nonsense.

My carry gun has a 17rd mag with two spares in the console and my truck gun has an 85rd drum inserted and ready to go.

Move to a free state and rid yourself of the burden of even thinking about such nonsense.

Prebans aren't illegal, so who cares about the overzealous cop? The worst case scenario seems to be that they might put you in cuffs or even truck you back to the station until a non-idiot cop shows up to straighten things out.

That's not necessarily true. I had a client (Class A LTC) who stopped at his friend's crash site. Cops smelled alcohol and arrested him for carrying under the influence, possession of a large capacity firearm without an LTC (Felony - can't be heard in the District Court) , and improper storage of a high capacity firearm (another Felony - can't be heard in the district court)

They wouldn't dismiss the bogus felony charges until my client pleaded to the carrying under the influence (CWOF)

You'd be nuts to pay those prices. I don't find deals, I just don't jump on the first ridiculously overpriced offer I see. YMMV

I agree it is best to shop around. I've seen some crazy high prices for pre-bans. Here and elsewhere.

However, they are worth whatever you are willing to pay for them. Personally, I think it would be silly to carry a 10 round magazine in a gun designed to carry 17 +1. If that is your primary, or secondary, carry gun, you should want to have as many rounds available as possible. This is why my carry piece isn't a derringer.

I carry a G17 in the colder months and use the 10 round mags only for the range. When I carry it, I carry with a 17 rd pre-ban, and my spare mag is a 17 rd with a +6 extension.

And for what it is worth, I'm willing to pay more for FML, square notch, pre-ban mags because the U notch mages don't drop free.

But to each his own.

It really bothers me when I carry my CZ P01 w/ its 10-round mag. (no pre-bans exist). Carrying a Glock 19 w/ a gimped mag would be just retarded.

Back
Top Bottom