Disappointed ... 1st Bad deal in Classified

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seller’s profile says he is 26 (1995 birthday) entitled millennial perhaps?

I hate to make it about age, but it seems that honor and integrity is often lost (or never taught) these days… I’ve met (bought/sold) to plenty of folks on here, younger and older — it’s more about the person than age, but the seller sounds (by OP’s posting) to be pretty immature to whore himself for an extra $50.

Last edited:
I recently was a seller and I bailed on a deal. New buyer. No posts, no feedback, account 2 months old.

We went back and forth for over a week trying to finalize on a meeting spot and time. Part of it was me because I didn't want to drive 60 miles each way for a $250 item. Finally settled on a day but no time. I had indicated that before noon was a good time frame for me because I was busy in the afternoon. I heard nothing for 2 days and including the morning of the day the deal was suppose to happen. I figured I was ghosted.

During the whole conversation the buyer never actually said or communicated their actual name. Finally around 3 or 4 in the afternoon of the day of deal I get a message "U Around". I respond and then I was told the buyer was going to be around for an hour at the proposed meeting spot and I needed to come right away. I though about it some and actually packed up the item for sale, climbed in my truck and was going to go but I had a bad feeling about the whole thing. My gut feelings told me not to go so I told the buyer I was bailing out based on new account, no feedback, no real name etc. and I had a bad feeling on the deal.

I was ready to take a negative rep for bailing but that didn't happen. I've done a lot of deals here. Anyone who has dealt with me knows I'm a standup guy but this deal was different. Just didn't feel right and the fact the seller never actually told me their name bugged me.

Just curious:
1. How many of you would make a deal without a set date/time?
2. Would you be ok if after making such deal the buyer can't find free time for the next couple of months? (hypothetical)
Depends on the dialogue. I'd make a deal if a timeline was established like agreeing on meeting the coming weekend. I don't think it's unreasonable to give some assurance that I won't sell the item to someone else while we try to coordinate a time that works.

Just curious:
1. How many of you would make a deal without a set date/time?
2. Would you be ok if after making such deal the buyer can't find free time for the next couple of months? (hypothetical)

your hypothetical example in no way resembles this situation ..

Part of this is confusing to me:

Still hadn't punched in an exact day, due to our schedules, but I assured it was a done deal, the seller agreed and said he would mark the gun sold pending payment. Looked today, it wasn't marked sold.... ok, maybe he forgot .. well, he sold it today to another low life that offered him more money, no doubt, whoever purchased it, knew it was sold. So I really don't think the buyer has much character either for his actions.

If the seller didn't mark the gun SPF, how did the other buyer know that it was sold?

Totally agree that it's immoral to agree on a deal then sell to someone else, but I don't know the other side of the story. Personally, I would not agree to hold a gun for an indefinite period. I have agreed to hold for a couple days while schedules are worked out but would be clear about when we set the schedule. For example, agree to sale on Monday and expect to meet the following weekend TBD. Gun remains in classifieds but is marked SPF. Agree to set firm time by Wednesday. No firm time set by Wednesday? Gun is no longer SPF.

1. we were talking a few days before we could get together due to his work schedule and an FFL available ... I informed him, I could get out there when his stars aligned, all he had to do was say.. I need it gone now ... As for the other guy that did buy it .. how did he know if it was sold? ... well, when you offer to pay more than the asking price .... then he was informed it was sold pending funds ...

1. we were talking a few days before we could get together due to his work schedule and an FFL available ... I informed him, I could get out there when his stars aligned, all he had to do was say.. I need it gone now ... As for the other guy that did buy it .. how did he know if it was sold? ... well, when you offer to pay more than the asking price .... then he was informed it was sold pending funds ...
OK, clear and thanks for the explanation. I agree with you that the seller was being a sh!t if you were flexible and the delay to meet was on his end- then he took the higher offer. Also I see your logic regarding the other buyer but you also have to consider that the seller was yanking your chain for more $. One of my friends on the forum agreed to a seller's pricing and terms, then upon final discussion for day and time to meet- the seller said the price went up.

As mentioned, I've yet to have a bad transaction with NESers and the typical scenario is that we both show up early to complete the transfer. Due to a problem at work, I had to push back a meeting time once a few years ago, but it was only ~1 hour or less and the buyer was very understanding. IIRC a buyer or two had to adjust the timing, but that was communicated well in advance. Overall, we have a pretty good group.

I just got burned on offer up yesterday. I think I'm done with that platform. "I'm on my way" no shows on that app are ridiculous. I think the success rate for selling on NES for me is probably 99.9%.
Even when I say I want something or I ask for more details and I can't make it happen I let people know.... what does it take to do that 20 seconds? It's not like you're ditching a wedding and not showing up at the altar.
A simple " sorry things have changed I can't do it"

I recently was a seller and I bailed on a deal. New buyer. No posts, no feedback, account 2 months old.

We went back and forth for over a week trying to finalize on a meeting spot and time. Part of it was me because I didn't want to drive 60 miles each way for a $250 item. Finally settled on a day but no time. I had indicated that before noon was a good time frame for me because I was busy in the afternoon. I heard nothing for 2 days and including the morning of the day the deal was suppose to happen. I figured I was ghosted.

During the whole conversation the buyer never actually said or communicated their actual name. Finally around 3 or 4 in the afternoon of the day of deal I get a message "U Around". I respond and then I was told the buyer was going to be around for an hour at the proposed meeting spot and I needed to come right away. I though about it some and actually packed up the item for sale, climbed in my truck and was going to go but I had a bad feeling about the whole thing. My gut feelings told me not to go so I told the buyer I was bailing out based on new account, no feedback, no real name etc. and I had a bad feeling on the deal.

I was ready to take a negative rep for bailing but that didn't happen. I've done a lot of deals here. Anyone who has dealt with me knows I'm a standup guy but this deal was different. Just didn't feel right and the fact the seller never actually told me their name bugged me.
I typically put “NES green members or members with positive feedback only” in my ads. It costs me sales and I don’t get top dollar, but I haven’t been ghosted or stood up once. Worth it.

I did have one new, non-green user recently reach out about a rifle I had for sale. I directed him to the ad and my requirement; he went green just to buy the rifle. Sale went smoothly!

Did you use the Rep system for these folks, or do we all get to figure it out for ourselves.
Yes, I did. That was back in Michigan on MGO forum. Their Rep system is just posting in a thread about the interaction. Someone searches the thread for the user and it shows the posts with it. I like this sites method better.

I typically put “NES green members or members with positive feedback only” in my ads. It costs me sales and I don’t get top dollar, but I haven’t been ghosted or stood up once. Worth it.

I did have one new, non-green user recently reach out about a rifle I had for sale. I directed him to the ad and my requirement; he went green just to buy the rifle. Sale went smoothly!
When I was selling last year here in preparation for moving I came across a few dummies here. All were paid green accounts. One guy accidentally outed 2 of his trading accounts to me while he attempted some convoluted good guy bad guy act with his 2 separate accounts. I reported him as it was in my opinion scummy and he had a shit ton of what looked to be fake feedback. Nothing happened to him though.

Never made any deals with him so I didn't give feedback although he gave me negative feedback for being a "fake account" or something similar. [rofl]

I have often waited a week or two to complete a deal, one time a month. people are busy and some of us live pretty far apart. I'll always work with a buyer and for the most part they have always worked with me and I've only had one deal fall apart. When someone tells me they will take it I take them at their word, now if you don't honor that without a good excuse thats another thing.

Shit I bought guns from people here that after thinking about it I really didn't want to but I gave my word and I'm not in that habit of creating excuses, your word is all you have IMHO.

First one with the cash and a hard date gets it.
I wouldn’t waste time with someone if they don’t set a day.
Operate on “Snooze you lose” and don’t be disappointed if you’re caught snoozin’.
I could not disagree more. Both a seller and buyer when the person says they will take it, its sold. If during the exchange in a few days a day cannot be reached then i will reach out to the next person who was interested. Someones word still means something to some people. I just sold one of my ak's last week on here. Three people said they would take it. The first person who said they would take it was from quite a distance away from me. I was more than willing to work with them to find a day to make it work even though the second person was much closer to me. Its called honoring your word. Your idea of "snooze" would apply if the person does not commit to saying they are buying it. Trying to work out two people's schedules isn't always easy. As someone who works many hours I more than most can respect people's scheduling issues. If i am looking to buy something i will typically stay away from people with your mind set. If i say i am buying it i am buying it. For me know to move around my whole schedule for you to sell it from under me is in my eyes dishonest.

Been ghosted a few times here by other members who want to buy something and dissapear. I've also had a member get cold feet after endless PMs about a rifle I had for sale last year. It was the morning we were supposed to meet and then blamed it on the wife for not buying it.

Provided it's not someone I really know, I only hold an item with a non-fundable deposit. You say you want this boat, you will pay $12,500 next week, ok - I want $500 and I will hold it for 2 weeks. You flake on me that $500 pays for me passing on other potential sales.

But at the same time I'm clear and up front - no I will not hold something without some arrangement involving $$.

I remember one time I bought an AK from someone here in a McDonalds parking lot in Northboro.. I knew it was a great deal and told him I will meet that night tonight with cash.. If something is a great deal or you now you want it, be very specific and meet the seller on his terms not yours.. This happened recently to me again when I seen a HK that I had to have...

People not leaving feedback is more of a pressing issue to me ! I have probably done 10 transactions since my last feedback.. It's not fair !

Part of this is confusing to me:

Still hadn't punched in an exact day, due to our schedules, but I assured it was a done deal, the seller agreed and said he would mark the gun sold pending payment. Looked today, it wasn't marked sold.... ok, maybe he forgot .. well, he sold it today to another low life that offered him more money, no doubt, whoever purchased it, knew it was sold. So I really don't think the buyer has much character either for his actions.

If the seller didn't mark the gun SPF, how did the other buyer know that it was sold?

Totally agree that it's immoral to agree on a deal then sell to someone else, but I don't know the other side of the story. Personally, I would not agree to hold a gun for an indefinite period. I have agreed to hold for a couple days while schedules are worked out but would be clear about when we set the schedule. For example, agree to sale on Monday and expect to meet the following weekend TBD. Gun remains in classifieds but is marked SPF. Agree to set firm time by Wednesday. No firm time set by Wednesday? Gun is no longer SPF.
Why would the other buyer offer more money then? Seller must have said I have a offer for this amount pending so new buyer offers more and he sold it to him.

I always state we don't have a deal until we set a meeting date. So in my case the buyer under stands. If the buyer stated he would hold it he should until informing otherwise.

By the way, marking sold pending does not stop offers. In my experience I get more offers after posting SPF.

All in all if you did not drive somewhere and wast time not much was lost.

People not leaving feedback is more of a pressing issue to me ! I have probably done 10 transactions since my last feedback.. It's not fair !

Exactly. Last deal I did I knew it was good. I had 3 people within 45 minutes agreeing to pay my asking price no haggling. (That's when you know the price was probably too low.) I met the buyer at the location he picked and we did the transaction. Afterwards I sent a message to him indicating it was nice to meet him and I had left positive feedback. He acked the message but no feedback for me. I have probably done twice as many deals as I have feedback.

I could not disagree more. Both a seller and buyer when the person says they will take it, its sold. If during the exchange in a few days a day cannot be reached then i will reach out to the next person who was interested. Someones word still means something to some people. I just sold one of my ak's last week on here. Three people said they would take it. The first person who said they would take it was from quite a distance away from me. I was more than willing to work with them to find a day to make it work even though the second person was much closer to me. Its called honoring your word. Your idea of "snooze" would apply if the person does not commit to saying they are buying it. Trying to work out two people's schedules isn't always easy. As someone who works many hours I more than most can respect people's scheduling issues. If i am looking to buy something i will typically stay away from people with your mind set. If i say i am buying it i am buying it. For me know to move around my whole schedule for you to sell it from under me is in my eyes dishonest.

I couldn't have said it better.

I remember one time I bought an AK from someone here in a McDonalds parking lot in Northboro.. I knew it was a great deal and told him I will meet that night tonight with cash.. If something is a great deal or you now you want it, be very specific and meet the seller on his terms not yours.. This happened recently to me again when I seen a HK that I had to have...

Yep, being a new guy here. I have done more than a few deals here without feedback being given. Oh well. On to the next thing I go.

That’s the type of bs I would expect from Craigslist. I like selling and buying on NES because 99% of the people are man of their word.
Back in the day this was true. Not as much now that Armslist has gone paid only. I notice a difference.
This is true, but as a stand-up seller, you ignore those offers... right? That's the seller's responsibility, in my mind. Your word is your bond.
Yes, I tell them your next, second or third if my buyer backs out.

Admittedly, I do not buy and sell much in the classifieds. Most of my acquisitions have been new from the LGS.
But I bought a gun from a member yesterday, and it went EXACTLY the way it is supposed to.

I decided it was time to pick up a Shadow 2. I was going to make the trip up to the mill and buy a new one, but my schedule was a problem. I saw an ad in the classifieds for a VERY fair price, on a beautiful, hardly used Shadow. I found the ad and messaged the guy figuring it was gone and he just had not edited the listing.

I had just two questions and he responded quickly. He told me UPFRONT that another guy was messaging him, and it was first come first served. I was not f***ing around and responded, "I'll take it and have cash in hand" and could meet the next day at 3:00. He graciously offered to meet me halfway, but I said I would drive to him. In return, he offered to fill the three mags it came with. Unnecessary, but a stand up move.
We were both early. I am never late for anything. It is a respect thing. The gun was exactly as advertised and perfect. He provided 30 rounds of very nice carry ammo, which I tried to refuse, but he insisted. In 20 minutes, I was on my way with my new gun.

1. Be respectful of peoples time.
2. Be a gentleman (or lady).
3. Don't play games.
4. Keep your word. Period.

Public shout out to @derekdiggs. Stand up, no BS guy. He did this deal EXACTLY the way you should.
My new Shadow 2.

Shadow 2.jpg

Seller’s profile says he is 26 (1995 birthday) entitled millennial perhaps?

I hate to make it about age, but it seems that honor and integrity is often lost (or never taught) these days… I’ve met (bought/sold) to plenty of folks on here, younger and older — it’s more about the person than age, but the seller sounds (by OP’s posting) to be pretty immature to whore himself for an extra $50.
Good lord I’m so tired of this thought process.
Old people suck sometimes too.

Yeah, I get it… but most stereotypes are based on some foundation of truth… I was burned on a deal with a seller not to long ago and he was also <30. I get it sucks to be lumped into a group with a negative perception. All I can say is be the exception.

Crappy move on the seller‘s part and I can see where OP assumes the buyer knew it was already sold. Why else would the new buyer offer more money?

For the most part the classifieds here are well above CL or FB. It’s all flakes there and it’s definitely whoever shows up with cash at asking price gets it.

but if someone here commits to buying I’ll hold it for them. And I’ve had plenty of times where someone later has offered more money for something I’ll selling, but I’ll always honor a deal even if it means losing out on a few bucks if we come to a definitive agreement

schedules aren’t always easy to figure out. People have families and jobs. I made a deal with someone here and I marked the items SPF and we didn’t close the deal for months.

ive only had a few deals go bad… speaking of which I should leave neg feedback for the one guy who agreed to buy a G43 I was selling. We set a price and a solid day and time. I had messaged back and forth several times and it was all set. The night before the meeting I messaged him again to confirm and he bailed on me last minute.

Absolutely. At this point in my life there is no doubt I am now considered old by most people. I've made deals with young, under 30, people and had great experiences. I do not believe this to be a factor of age. Good people are good people regardless of age, a$$holes are a$$holes regardless of age. I do my best to not judge a person by their age but sometimes I fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom