• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Disappointed ... 1st Bad deal in Classified

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbo38gn

NES Member
Like the title says, been buying and selling guns here as well as a participating member for a good 10 years or so. This is the 1st "deal gone bad" I've experienced. And wouldn't ya know, it involves a pretty much new member. I've always felt pretty comfortable dealing with members here, kinda feel like we are all pretty much respectful and honorable toward each other .. for the most part. This particular deal involved me purchasing a nice Colt 1911, I was the 1st one to contact the seller. had a good conversation, felt comfortable and made a plan to go and purchase the gun. Still hadn't punched in an exact day, due to our schedules, but I assured it was a done deal, the seller agreed and said he would mark the gun sold pending payment. Looked today, it wasn't marked sold.... ok, maybe he forgot .. well, he sold it today to another low life that offered him more money, no doubt, whoever purchased it, knew it was sold. So I really don't think the buyer has much character either for his actions. Bottom line I was just disappointed that we have members here with little to no character, respect or honor. The least the seller could have done is give me a call and the opportunity to get out there today, if that was what needed to be done...

That's all I got, have never felt the need to post this kind of thread, but this one is sticking with me a little, just needed to vent. Thanks Joe aka

beauthecoonhound

First one with the cash and a hard date gets it.
I wouldn’t waste time with someone if they don’t set a day.
Operate on “Snooze you lose” and don’t be disappointed if you’re caught snoozin’.

I don’t agree with this theory at all. The one thing that you give away and have to keep is your word. OP is a solid dude so I’m sure he did his part right

Sold pending payment isn’t sold. You never paid. Someone else did. How long do you expect people to wait? How many offers do you expect him to lose while waiting for someone who never follows through? You said you never had a firm date. To me, that’s worth exactly nothing. Someone actually followed through and now you are mad? It’s not the sellers fault. It’s your own.

Sold pending payment isn’t sold. You never paid. Someone else did. How long do you expect people to wait? How many offers do you expect him to lose while waiting for someone who never follows through? You said you never had a firm date. To me, that’s worth exactly nothing. Someone actually followed through and now you are mad? It’s not the sellers fault. It’s your own.

OP has 134 transactions here. None bad. Though it’s been a few years a few were with me. If you have that much experience navigating the forum traders you know when you get smoked.

I actually sent that listing to a friend and said, "I bet this won't last long."

I think this is a 50/50 case. Half will say "no date set, open game" and half will say "he said it was a deal."

Personally, if this is true: "I assured it was a done deal, the seller agreed and said he would mark the gun sold pending payment" then I would also be angry. If seller agrees to a price and that it's "sold pending payment" then to me it's off the table until the buyer either reneges or doesn't make good faith attempts to schedule a day. And if I'm the seller and I'm going to take "first person who shows up with money" instead, I would disclose that to the first buyer.

In the end, open and honest communication between buyer and seller with full disclosures is the best and smoothest recipe. I sometimes feel like I'm an "overcommunicator" on deals, but I'd rather be able to say I laid everything out clearly.

Stinks for OP, I get where you are coming from... but in the world of selling stuff online on places like forums, FB marketplace, Craigslist, etc... its whoever can meet first/with the most money wins.

I can't speak for the specific seller/buyer here, but there are way too many flakes, tire kickers and scams to hold items without a deposit or concrete meeting time/location agreed upon by both.

This isn't Craigslist or MRketplace, we are all grown men here. I already pretty much knew who would not agree with me here.... having been here for 10 years ... not to mention, this forum is based on members with some kind of values and character. Capitalism is fine, but even in capitalism, there is honor and respect

I think when the seller marks SPF, the deal is done no matter whether the date is 100% nailed down. It can be hard to figure out mutual dates, but to me an SPF means the seller and buyer have agreed to do the deal. Sometime soon.

If I were the OP, I'd feel gypped also. But I wouldn't start a thread about it...

I think when the seller marks SPF, the deal is done no matter whether the date is 100% nailed down. It can be hard to figure out mutual dates, but to me an SPF means the seller and buyer have agreed to do the deal. Sometime soon.

If I were the OP, I'd feel gypped also. But I wouldn't start a thread about it...
I would.
And if I were admin of this board, the seller would be banned for a few months if not permanently.

This isn't Craigslist or MRketplace, we are all grown men here. I already pretty much knew who would not agree with me here.... having been here for 10 years ... not to mention, this forum is based on members with some kind of values and character. Capitalism is fine, but even in capitalism, there is honor and respect
I agree. It is first one with the cash wins, but if I have conflict and we have to push out a few days I will honor and communicate that.

We all are adults with busy lives, I will “hold” it until it’s sold. Typically keep the listing up and notify any other parties who may inquire it’s pending.

Stinks for OP, I get where you are coming from... but in the world of selling stuff online on places like forums, FB marketplace, Craigslist, etc... its whoever can meet first/with the most money wins.

I can't speak for the specific seller/buyer here, but there are way too many flakes, tire kickers and scams to hold items without a deposit or concrete meeting time/location agreed upon by both.
No, not really. Your account here is a year old. Stop telling us how our classifieds work.

NES is NOT f***ing FB market place or Craigslist.

Its not whoever gets there with the money 1st unless thats what the listing says. Try that garbage on NES and you'll find yourself with bad feedback.

No, not really. Your account here is a year old. Stop telling us how our classifieds work.

NES is NOT f***ing FB market place or Craigslist.

Its not whoever gets thier with the money 1st unless thats what the listing says. Try that garbage on NES and you'll find yourself with bad feedback.

lol
Perhaps i have extensive experience in selling stuff private party online with overwhelmingly good customer interaction and feedback., didn't know NES was quantifiably different other than the $20/month to weed out most scammers.

Sorry to equate FB and CL to here, didn't know it'd rustle u up, remember this is just the internet.

lol
Perhaps have extensive experience in selling stuff private party online, didn't know NES was quantifiably different other than the $20/month to weed out most scammers.

Sorry to equate FB and CL to here, didn't know it'd rustle ur feelings, remember this is just the internet.
My feelings are fine. Just pointing out that your assumptions on how NES classifieds may or may not work are going to create aggravation.

Yup, it's not personal. Many ppl who have sold a lot of stuff face 2 face via online with private parties can only get burned so many times, deal with flakers or flat out weirdos that it's become basically standard operating procedure for most publicly accessible internet sale forums/armslist/ FB/CL/ARFcom/etc to operate on 'no set date/time/location, ambiguous comms = no sale' if concrete terms are arranged and agreed upon, yes it's wrong to sell it to somebody else

Not going to spend more time debating this with strangers online, like i said originally this doesn't necessarily apply to OP's situation or even most of the dealings here, but it's generally how online sales work.

Like the title says, been buying and selling guns here as well as a participating member for a good 10 years or so. This is the 1st "deal gone bad" I've experienced. And wouldn't ya know, it involves a pretty much new member. I've always felt pretty comfortable dealing with members here, kinda feel like we are all pretty much respectful and honorable toward each other .. for the most part. This particular deal involved me purchasing a nice Colt 1911, I was the 1st one to contact the seller. had a good conversation, felt comfortable and made a plan to go and purchase the gun. Still hadn't punched in an exact day, due to our schedules, but I assured it was a done deal, the seller agreed and said he would mark the gun sold pending payment. Looked today, it wasn't marked sold.... ok, maybe he forgot .. well, he sold it today to another low life that offered him more money, no doubt, whoever purchased it, knew it was sold. So I really don't think the buyer has much character either for his actions. Bottom line I was just disappointed that we have members here with little to no character, respect or honor. The least the seller could have done is give me a call and the opportunity to get out there today, if that was what needed to be done...

That's all I got, have never felt the need to post this kind of thread, but this one is sticking with me a little, just needed to vent. Thanks Joe aka

beauthecoonhound

You really lost me here impugning the buyer. It wasn't marked sold, but the buyer is a low life that knew it was sold?

I could see the outrage if he was blown off waiting for the guy at dunkin donuts, or if it was a glock or something.

Yeah man, I get where he is coming from, but more time was wasted in this thread than likley the entire interaction with the seller/OP, OP did not go meet somewhere to be ghosted, or miss out on a 'Very Rare in MA MASS LEGAL SCARCE Pre Healy Pre-Ban PREBAN Pre Ban Gen 2 Glock 22 with 1 PRE BAN mag/clip' or a $500 PSA lower

OP seems like a respectable person to deal with looking at his feedback, and I can see why he would want to be treated the same, but he is dealing with 2 month old account with 2 feedbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom