Disappointed ... 1st Bad deal in Classified

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always felt pretty comfortable dealing with members here, kinda feel like we are all pretty much respectful and honorable toward each other .. for the most part.

Bottom line I was just disappointed that we have members here with little to no character, respect or honor.
I dunno but I think you’re expectations of some NES sellers are high lol. There’s hundreds if not thousands of members here who ONLY sell stuff and do not post/comment on things. IMO you’re bound to find some that will burn you.
Then again there is feedback to help document their issues with past sales.

How long do you expect a seller to wait for you to commit to a date and time to complete a deal?
I dont recall fully, but I don‘t think this gun was up for sale for more than a day or so. It really was priced to move. This couldn’t have taken place over more than a couple hours.

I've bought and sold a bunch of things on NES and once had a dude weasel out of a deal, but I quickly sold it later and it was clearly an aberration. Everyone else was great, reliable, honest, and friendly. I very much enjoy the conversations that I've had with NES folks, and I have a very high opinion of them, and the platform of NES.

My philosophy is that if you commit to buying/selling something to an individual, and there is a meeting of the minds, it's a deal just waiting to be executed. Your word is your contract, barring unforeseen circumstances.

Again, I have much faith in the vast majority of the ladies and gentlemen on NES.

When you tell someone “It’s a deal” both parties should honor that deal.

Working out the meet up details can take a a couple days, especially when most people magically live over an hour away pretty much every time lol so as long as that’s communicated and agreed on it shouldn’t be an issue

Sold pending funds doesn’t mean until you give me the money I can sell it to someone else who offers me more money.

I dont recall fully, but I don‘t think this gun was up for sale for more than a day or so. It really was priced to move. This couldn’t have taken place over more than a couple hours.
That's something to complain about then.

Sold pending funds doesn’t mean until you give me the money I can sell it to someone else who offers me more money.

This is the main point, really.

"Sold" means it's no longer available at any price. The "pending funds" part is just trying to figure out scheduling. There have been times when I've wanted to buy a piece but I knew it would take forever to work out the logistics on my side, so I've told the seller to feel free to accept offers until I can get my schedule sorted out.

It's all about communicating clear expectations.

This is the main point, really.

"Sold" means it's no longer available at any price. The "pending funds" part is just trying to figure out scheduling. There have been times when I've wanted to buy a piece but I knew it would take forever to work out the logistics on my side, so I've told the seller to feel free to accept offers until I can get my schedule sorted out.

It's all about communicating clear expectations.
Some people here don't quite get that. Not implying OP doesn't.

Personal experience has shown me. You make the deal. It needs to be over as quickly as possible. Because until it hits your hands. Anything can and will happen. I have been ghosted, sitting at a meeting spot for an hour. Once. Any other meets and the seller or buyer isn't prompt and doesn't answer texts. I'm gone in 15 minutes now. I have had guns sold out from under me like the OP. Has date and times set up. That makes me mental note that seller. Do not deal with or go in knowing the past.

For the most part. The gun community is a good one. Most people are honorable. That said, while carrying a Glock to the meet.

If a deal goes sideways. You just have to move forward. At least the OP didn't lose any money or time travelling

You really lost me here impugning the buyer. It wasn't marked sold, but the buyer is a low life that knew it was sold?

This. If he agreed to sell it to you and crapped out you should neg his feedback. The only acceptable excuse is you kited him for a long period of time but it sounds like were not talking more than a day or two, right? If you left hin flapping in the breeeze for a week id get it but doesn't sound like the case. Sellers shouldn't confirm a sale unless they intend on following through. This isn't an auction joint either. "I was going to sell it to you but someone gave me more" is not a valid crap out excuse.

We had a clear conversation on the phone as to the situation. I'm not new to buying or selling on the internet or anywhere else. There was no ambiguity as to whether it was sold or when we would meet. Seller totally agreed with the sale. Clearly said he would mark it sold, pending funds, he didn't do that. Within 18 hours after our conversation, he sold it to someone else. DRG, your last statement is exactly what happened, He texted that exact statement to me! .... someone offered me more money!

This, too.... buyer likely didn't know, or less familiar with rules. This isn't the fault of the "3rd guy" its caused by the seller

As to the buyer, ya, I have a little problem with that, but! I've been that 3rd guy, coming in a little late on a, "sold, pending funds deal", my response in that situation is, let me know if the deal falls through. Well, obviously the 3rd guy was told it was sold or why would he offer to pay more?

Exactly right, I see ole Beau just deleted all the info on the 1911 for sale thread ... notice, he never deleted any of his other for sale threads ... If Beau had given me any indication, that he needed to sell this gun to the 1st guy that showed up ... I would have ended the phone call with him, got in my car and drove out there..

Personal experience has shown me. You make the deal. It needs to be over as quickly as possible. Because until it hits your hands. Anything can and will happen. I have been ghosted, sitting at a meeting spot for an hour. Once. Any other meets and the seller or buyer isn't prompt and doesn't answer texts. I'm gone in 15 minutes now. I have had guns sold out from under me like the OP. Has date and times set up. That makes me mental note that seller. Do not deal with or go in knowing the past.
Did you use the Rep system for these folks, or do we all get to figure it out for ourselves.

I too agree with the OP. I also buy on ARFCOM and I like that type of system (I know a lot of guys here don’t) but I feel if I give my word to buy something I follow through and the same goes if I give my word to sell something to someone, I follow through. Yup he only way around it would be if both parties mutually agree to cancel the deal, communication goes along way and if the seller was going to move on or had to sell ASAP he would have given the OP a call to explain or see if he could “quicken the pace purchase”

Just my $.02

They had an agreement (aka verbal contract) until one of them notified the other the deal was off.

OP states that the seller never contacted him to say, "hey, it's been ___ days, we gonna do this or what?". Seller simply sold it to someone else.

Perfectly legal, just a little s**tty. An email, call or text saying, "I'm relisting this if we can't meet by tomorrow at noon", would be a totally different story.

They had an agreement (aka verbal contract) until one of them notified the other the deal was off.

OP states that the seller never contacted him to say, "hey, it's been ___ days, we gonna do this or what?". Seller simply sold it to someone else.

Perfectly legal, just a little s**tty. An email, call or text saying, "I'm relisting this if we can't meet by tomorrow at noon", would be a totally different story.
Did you read the post. The guy messaged him saying he got an offer for more money. Nothing about the length of time.
Shady. Give the guy bad feedback so we all know not to deal with him

This. If he agreed to sell it to you and crapped out you should neg his feedback. The only acceptable excuse is you kited him for a long period of time but it sounds like were not talking more than a day or two, right? If you left hin flapping in the breeeze for a week id get it but doesn't sound like the case. Sellers shouldn't confirm a sale unless they intend on following through. This isn't an auction joint either. "I was going to sell it to you but someone gave me more" is not a valid crap out excuse.

I had exactly this happen. Left neg feedback stating the case, and then he gave me neg feedback as revenge.
I take forum feedback with a grain of salt.

As to the OP, I get it, but I just moved on and forget about it. If I see something that I really want, I move to close the deal asap.

Like the title says, been buying and selling guns here as well as a participating member for a good 10 years or so. This is the 1st "deal gone bad" I've experienced. And wouldn't ya know, it involves a pretty much new member. I've always felt pretty comfortable dealing with members here, kinda feel like we are all pretty much respectful and honorable toward each other .. for the most part. This particular deal involved me purchasing a nice Colt 1911, I was the 1st one to contact the seller. had a good conversation, felt comfortable and made a plan to go and purchase the gun. Still hadn't punched in an exact day, due to our schedules, but I assured it was a done deal, the seller agreed and said he would mark the gun sold pending payment. Looked today, it wasn't marked sold.... ok, maybe he forgot .. well, he sold it today to another low life that offered him more money, no doubt, whoever purchased it, knew it was sold. So I really don't think the buyer has much character either for his actions. Bottom line I was just disappointed that we have members here with little to no character, respect or honor. The least the seller could have done is give me a call and the opportunity to get out there today, if that was what needed to be done...

That's all I got, have never felt the need to post this kind of thread, but this one is sticking with me a little, just needed to vent. Thanks Joe aka

beauthecoonhound

You expect people to have honor and commitment for a extra $50 , lol
I know what you mean and it sucks but its how it is. For the most part I have stopped selling on NES as the BS has risen enough to not bother. So im back to post its at the club

NEG REP in order?

Did you read the post. The guy messaged him saying he got an offer for more money. Nothing about the length of time.
Shady. Give the guy bad feedback so we all know not to deal with him
I read the post and it doesn't say that at all.

OP reached out when he saw the listing still up.

Seller sold it to someone else after reaching a verbal agreement with OP.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have done it, just not without INFORMING the OP

ETA, there's always two sides to the story. OP might be a lying sack of poop 😂. The seller could always drop by and tell his or her side!

Last edited:
Part of this is confusing to me:

Still hadn't punched in an exact day, due to our schedules, but I assured it was a done deal, the seller agreed and said he would mark the gun sold pending payment. Looked today, it wasn't marked sold.... ok, maybe he forgot .. well, he sold it today to another low life that offered him more money, no doubt, whoever purchased it, knew it was sold. So I really don't think the buyer has much character either for his actions.

If the seller didn't mark the gun SPF, how did the other buyer know that it was sold?

Totally agree that it's immoral to agree on a deal then sell to someone else, but I don't know the other side of the story. Personally, I would not agree to hold a gun for an indefinite period. I have agreed to hold for a couple days while schedules are worked out but would be clear about when we set the schedule. For example, agree to sale on Monday and expect to meet the following weekend TBD. Gun remains in classifieds but is marked SPF. Agree to set firm time by Wednesday. No firm time set by Wednesday? Gun is no longer SPF.

When the seller agreed to the buyer's offer and said he would mark it SPF, the deal was sealed. Refer to the fundamentals of the UCC:

3.3.1. An “offer” is defined by Restatement (Second) of Contracts § 24 (1981) as “the manifestation of willingness to enter into a bargain, so made as to justify another person in understanding that his assent to that bargain is invited and will conclude it.” A “bargain” is an agreement to exchange promises or to exchange a promise for a performance or to exchange performances. Id., § 3.
3.3.4. Once an offer is made, a contract is formed when the offer is accepted. Acceptance is the manifestation by the offeree of assent to the terms of the offer. Restatement (Second) of Contracts § 50. In other words, if the offeree does not clearly express assent to the terms that have been offered, there is no acceptance.

Just curious:
1. How many of you would make a deal without a set date/time?
2. Would you be ok if after making such deal the buyer can't find free time for the next couple of months? (hypothetical)
LOL just gave some feedback on that very topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom