Detailed steps on how to apply for a license in Boston

I have the 7:15a slot @ Moon Island. I completed a few lookups to identify how long it takes to complete everything, but haven't found it.

I know it differs per person based on the speed in which you put lead down range, but is there an average time I can expect to be done? I ask b/c it's a work day and I need to let the powers at be know my schedule.

Should be under an hour. They will start signing people in as they arrive. You can expect at least one person to be late, so that will hold you up a few minutes. One of the range officers will explain the rules. They will most likely let you fire two handed throughout, even though some of the paperwork says it is a combination of one and two handed. Once everyone is ready, they will give you an old revolver and a bucket o bullets and everyone will go out together. The targets should be set up already and once they give you the direction to fire, you will have as much time as you need to shoot. Safety is the most important thing they are looking for. Once everyone has completed shooting from one line, you will all move back and start the next round. Once everyone has finished, everyone will be brought back inside to wait for the results. One range officer will usually be talking to everyone and collecting the revolvers, while the other will be scoring targets. Once he's done scoring he brings the results back to the shack and they read them off for everyone. No prizes for being a sharp shooter, so just focus on safe handling and you will pass. If someone doesn't pass for whatever reason, they will usually invite the person back to try again on a later date, but I think that is rare.

got my LTC-A relatively quick! Started the interview around May 12/13/14 and wen to Moon Island the next day afterwards. Received my LTC two days ago on the 15th with the regular Target/hunting restrictions.

I believe it's John McDonough.

Sent him a letter at the end of May asking for my target/hunting restriction to be removed. Haven't heard back yet. Not so much as a phone call to tell me to screw off. He probably read it, laughed, and shredded it.

Hey all- not much of a poster but a long time lurker. Figured I'd keep this thread as up to date as possible and will provide my timeline/experience.

8/2/14- Went to the safety course at Mass Firearms School- Cost $100- This was a good course. James Wise was the instructor. He knew what he was talking about and was very helpful with regards to the application process. If your on the South Shore or even in Boston, I'd recommend this course

Sometime the week of 8/4-8/8 I called BPD to schedule an appointment. At that point the appointment range was early September. Booked an appointment for today (9/11).

9/11 Showed up for my appointment, The staff was nice and it the whole process was stream lined. I paid cash. They had you fill out the application there. I suppose if you wanted to go in at some point before your appointment to fill it out, you can. The applications are at window 1 on the first floor. If not, no biggie, they allow you to do it at the time of your appointment

She made a copy of my birth certificate, safety course certificate and drivers license. I was sent to pay the fee at the cashier window, paid it and returned, where she set me up for the Moon Island test. As of today- there is virtually no wait. I could have gone tomorrow if I wanted; appointments are at 715am or 345pm Monday Tuesday (maybe wednesday) and Friday. Booked it for next Tuesday.

She then took me behind the counter, finger printed me, and then took me into the offices in back for the "interview".. like everyone else said, just re answering all the questions on the application as they enter it onto the computer. I watched the computer as she did- it. As for the reasoning (and the determinant for restricted/unrestricted) There is a drop down menu for them, and it has either sport/hunting or for business ownership. Not much else you can do. She didn't even fill in the reason box on the computer (I had a letter expressing my desire to carry since there has been an increase in shootings/gang activity near the T stop I frequent).

And that was it. All in all, took about 20 minutes. Very painless. She said about 10 weeks. She also said it has been quicker, but didn't want to make any promises.

New change from last year is they don't take your electronic finger prints anymore. She told me it was taking forever to get approval last year and prior because they had to send electronic fingerprints to the state, and those took forever to get back. I talked with her for a few minutes about why the process was much speedier now.

I'll update this when I get my license to show total time. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck all!

every step is an infringement

Amen

Went for my qual this morning- shot a 289/300

To reiterate the general theme- the Moon Island guys are great. They'll pay attention to your impacts and let you know about any trends they see. Whole process was fast (about 25 minutes total).

One thing that's changed- although it's on the range pass, they said due to safety it was two hand only. I zoned out after he said one hand since I was planning to shoot two anyway, but I'm fairly certain it's two hand from the 15 now. Single or double action is still preference

Also tip for the morning shooters- they wouldnt let me past the initial gate until after 7 am. I showed up at 650 and they made me turn around, mildly inconvienient. If you happen to get there and it's before 7, just pull off the side of the road right before the gate

This. I would not settle also on restrictions!

I don't know if it's better for you guys to apply when the new law kicks into effect? To see if you are suitable for LTC.

I feel for you Boston guys and gals and red towns!

I have been a longtime Boston resident and just had my Class A LTC processed without any restrictions. This Class A renewal was not for employment either. The detective who interviewed me processed the license with no Sport/Target restrictions. Was I just lucky? Or do the detectives have a bit more freedom of judgement under Marty Walsh's administration?

I have been a longtime Boston resident and just had my Class A LTC processed without any restrictions. This Class A renewal was not for employment either. The detective who interviewed me processed the license with no Sport/Target restrictions. Was I just lucky? Or do the detectives have a bit more freedom of judgement under Marty Walsh's administration?
Are you a business owner? Lawyer or doctor? Connected politically? First time applicant or renewal?

Well. Just received my LTC-A. That was quick- Less than a month from my interview. Of course restricted to Target/Hunting- no surprises there. I was asked if this was for employment purposes and when I said no, they just selected target/hunting.

Not a business owner, not a doctor, not a lawyer, not politically connected, and this was a renewal. I'm not sure why the license was issued without restrictions. Lucky me!!

Well.. at least it was a renewal.. I would have been a little peeved if someone at the same time frame as me with all the same aforementioned "qualities" got a new unrestricted LTC...

I'll chalk it up to an incident free time with your last LTC.

Sent him a letter at the end of May asking for my target/hunting restriction to be removed. Haven't heard back yet. Not so much as a phone call to tell me to screw off. He probably read it, laughed, and shredded it.
Did you ever get a reply to your letter?

This thread was so helpful. I myself am currently in the process of applying for my LTC in Boston (my range test is Monday)

Last edited:
Took my safety course this past weekend. Is it still a requirement to be a member of a gun club to get an LTC-A? I don't really see a reason to join a club when I have to wait weeks (months?) for my license. Definitely going to join one, but I figured I could do it during the waiting period.
Thanks!

Took my safety course this past weekend. Is it still a requirement to be a member of a gun club to get an LTC-A? I don't really see a reason to join a club when I have to wait weeks (months?) for my license. Definitely going to join one, but I figured I could do it during the waiting period.
Thanks!

Club membership is no longer a requirement in Boston. Save the cash until you have the LTC in hand.
And don't forget to bring your passport instead of your birth certificate!

Thanks for the help. I called to make an appointment today, but they said I need to call back in two weeks because they don't have the schedule book for January yet. Got to love working with the government...

Went into Boston PD today to apply for my LTC (first time). I was told my the officer doing the interview and paperwork that I would be getting a Target and Hunting restricted LTC when I do get it, which I was quoted 12-16 weeks to obtain. I was also told that I could appeal the Restrictions right away when I do come and pick up the license however it would be sometime before Lt McDounough gets to reading the letter. Gotta love boston....

Received my LTC in the mail today from Boston PD and shockingly, has the hunting and target restriction on it. 7 Weeks to the day from the time I applied. Kicker of it all I contacted the DOJ on Monday to inquire the status of the application yesterday and was told it was approved with no restrictions

Back
Top Bottom