• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Detailed steps on how to apply for a license in Boston

Three years ago it was free style, iirc. I did two handed, single action, all from the same distance. The cops at the range were really chill.

Three years ago it was free style, iirc. I did two handed, single action, all from the same distance. The cops at the range were really chill.
Two and a half years ago, we shot from two distances but it was similarly relaxed. I mostly shot double action because I was slightly more accurate like that for some reason - they didn't care either way.

My mothers unrestricted ltc was issued in topsfield. She's moving to Boston. Will she have to take the moon Island test for a renewal

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

To provide info on the BPD experience and Moon Island test for future exam takers:

1) Call to schedule appointment at BPD HQ, they're booking pretty far out right now
2) Show up for your interview. You can show up 15 minutes earlier to fill the app then or swing by earlier and grab a copy
3) Licensing officer will photocopy your ID, passport/birth certificate, course certificate, etc while you go pay the $100 fee.
4) Officer will type up your app (just basic info) and ask a bunch of questions verbally (rest of the questions on the standard app)
5) Book range date, receive range pass and copy of app
6) Get fingerprinted

DO NOT BE LATE! 15-20 minutes early is recommended <-- actually it's pretty much mandatory

7) Show up at the guard house before the bridge leading to Moon Island, show pass and he'll tell you where to go
8) Park on the left side of the road before the range parking lot entrance (next to mini shipping container). Do not park inside!
9) Go into first building, entrance is in the back.

Shooting Exam:
After processing the paperwork (reason you have to show up early) and going thru safety/instruction/advice/tip lecture, you will...
- pick up a bucket with eyes, ears, a GP100 revolver and 30+/- rounds of 38 special
- shoot 12 rounds at 7 yards, Double Action only, one or two hands
- shoot 18 rounds at 15 yards, SA or DA, one or two hands
- walk back inside, wait for a few minutes and get your scores. 210/300 needed to pass.
--- If you pass, come back in 6 years if you're still tormenting yourself in Boston/Brookline
--- If you fail, you need to reschedule. If you're lucky, maybe within the same week
- wait... and wait... and wait... and wait... and boom! you finally have your LTC after a couple months

Note 1: Officers are chill. They will help you pass, give you tips and advice. Don't violate any safety rules and shoot 210/300, you'll pass easily.

Note 2: Target is custom, most closely resembles a B27c target. So go to the range and practice beforehand. It will definitely help.

Note 3: Starting in Sept 2016, the range will be undergoing renovation. They will tear down the current buildings and replace it with a nice one. Also more parking spaces will be added.
Did not ask if exams will continue during that time.

Hi there Knuckle Dragger. I just went through the process. It took a little over 3 weeks to meet with the BPD officer for the interview. Took another 3 weeks for the range test. They had better availability for the range part, it just didn't fit my schedule.

Hi there Knuckle Dragger. I just went through the process. It took a little over 3 weeks to meet with the BPD officer for the interview. Took another 3 weeks for the range test. They had better availability for the range part, it just didn't fit my schedule.

Thanks. So it only took you three weeks to get an appointment? If so, that's a pretty significant improvement.

Thanks. So it only took you three weeks to get an appointment? If so, that's a pretty significant improvement.

Yea the appointment was fast. The process was very straight forward and easy. I think they make it seem challenging on paper so they deter people from applying. The BPD Officer that interviewed me was incredibly nice and helpful. Same with the officers at the range. The only maddening thing about this whole thing is the unnecessary "sport" restrictions. I feel like you could get in trouble for no reason.

Yea the appointment was fast. The process was very straight forward and easy. I think they make it seem challenging on paper so they deter people from applying. The BPD Officer that interviewed me was incredibly nice and helpful. Same with the officers at the range. The only maddening thing about this whole thing is the unnecessary "sport" restrictions. I feel like you could get in trouble for no reason.

Wow, that's great news. My biggest gripe with BPD lately has been the very long time they were making people wait to even get an appointment.

Wow, that's great news. My biggest gripe with BPD lately has been the very long time they were making people wait to even get an appointment.

Yup. GF waited over a month for an appointment over the summer, then another 3 weeks until range date.
The actual test and BPD officers were pretty chill.

Moon Island range and the buckets of revolvers:

4rDCWjj.jpg

GF finally got her license, T&H of course.
Called in June for appointment, received July interview date with August range date. LTC came in last week.
Just over 130 days from calling for appt to receiving LTC in mail.

I had two students who went in 11/21/2016 (yesterday) report that they're being required to write essays/letter for their applications. Anyone else who went in recently, can you confirm? It is not mentioned as a requirement on the list online, they were verbally told to do so.

I had two students who went in 11/21/2016 (yesterday) report that they're being required to write essays/letter for their applications. Anyone else who went in recently, can you confirm? It is not mentioned as a requirement on the list online, they were verbally told to do so.

Hahahahah - un-****ing-believable. Are they asking for them typed and double spaced too? Glad I got out. As much as the Moon Island test is BS - it was kind of fun, considering when I went 5 years ago the range officers showed the cadets my target; because a lot of them aren't great shots and/or haven't shot a gun before - ever.

Hahahahah - un-****ing-believable. Are they asking for them typed and double spaced too? Glad I got out. As much as the Moon Island test is BS - it was kind of fun, considering when I went 5 years ago the range officers showed the cadets my target; because a lot of them aren't great shots and/or haven't shot a gun before - ever.

Besides having to hike over there on a weekday, it's not a bad trip. Good guys running the place and we had a lot of laughs.

As recent as end of august there was no "essay" requirement. So if anything changed, it happened in the last 3 months.

Hey guys...Going in this feb for my appointment. Any advice? Any recent updates of what's going on at BPD as far as application goes/processing time?

Called Bostod PD licensing dept. some time in October.... Got an appointment for Dec 12th..... Got scheduled for the Moon Island test for Dec. 30th (at 6 f*cking 15 AM) and took about 30-45 mins to get in and out... Now waiting on my approval. I live in Dorchester (yeah, I know), but I applied for ALP... I wrote a 1-page essay (voluntarily) stating why I want an unrestricted LTC.... Just waiting to hear back from the BPD.... I feel sooooo impatient cause I wanna go shoot already without going up to NH and spending tons of money....

Called Bostod PD licensing dept. some time in October.... Got an appointment for Dec 12th..... Got scheduled for the Moon Island test for Dec. 30th (at 6 f*cking 15 AM) and took about 30-45 mins to get in and out... Now waiting on my approval. I live in Dorchester (yeah, I know), but I applied for ALP... I wrote a 1-page essay (voluntarily) stating why I want an unrestricted LTC.... Just waiting to hear back from the BPD.... I feel sooooo impatient cause I wanna go shoot already without going up to NH and spending tons of money....

WTF ? did they OFFER that timeframe to you, or was it forced upon you ?
They are open 24x7 ?

Well, aside from not doing the test at all, having such early hours available is good for people that works weekdays from 8 AM and on, doesn't have to miss any time from work to get it done, I guess.

WTF ? did they OFFER that timeframe to you, or was it forced upon you ?
They are open 24x7 ?

Well, aside from not doing the test at all, having such early hours available is good for people that works weekdays from 8 AM and on, doesn't have to miss any time from work to get it done, I guess.

There's not much flexibility when it comes to scheduling an appointment with a LO.... However, they are flexible for the shooting part of the test. My understanding is that they are not open 24x7

I wrote a 1-page essay (voluntarily) stating why I want an unrestricted LTC....
[laugh] Let me guess... You're a law abiding, tax paying, hard working citizen, you stay out of trouble, you live in a dangerous neighborhood, and you'd like to be able to protect your family. Am I close?

Hi everybody,
Having my BPD interview this week.
Have a quick question: Reading this forum, I'm getting the impression that they almost never contact the "references" people provide on their applications. Is that correct?
I just figured I'd ask; because if I'm actually signing my friends up for getting seriously interviewed by the police and getting all sorts of questions asked about me, I should rather warn them upfront.
For the record, I'm not asking for an unrestricted LTC. But wish me luck anyway.
Cheers,
And thanks for any tips.

Hi everybody,
Having my BPD interview this week.
Have a quick question: Reading this forum, I'm getting the impression that they almost never contact the "references" people provide on their applications. Is that correct?
I just figured I'd ask; because if I'm actually signing my friends up for getting seriously interviewed by the police and getting all sorts of questions asked about me, I should rather warn them upfront.
For the record, I'm not asking for an unrestricted LTC. But wish me luck anyway.
Cheers,
And thanks for any tips.
Mine were not contacted, but that was a few years ago, they seem to have slightly tightened their requirements since then.

Back
Top Bottom