• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dash Cam: Canton, OH PD "Notification" Arrest & Officer Goes Berserk

It's about effin time. He was just trying to turn his life around after that horrific hangnail tragedy 8 years ago. Now he is little people like the rest of us.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

It's about effin time. He was just trying to turn his life around after that horrific hangnail tragedy 8 years ago. Now he is little people like the rest of us.

It's kind of ironic that he was filmed telling the subject he abused that his carry permit was gone forever.

I believe getting fired for cause precludes coverage under LEOSA.

This "disability claim" is curious. What's next? Someone getting booted off the force for DUI on the job filing a disability claim on the basis of "alcoholism is considered an illness?".

It's kind of ironic that he was filmed telling the subject he abused that his carry permit was gone forever.

This "disability claim" is curious. What's next? Someone getting booted off the force for DUI on the job filing a disability claim on the basis of "alcoholism is considered an illness?".

Absolutely! I will try to find the article.

It is a genuine disease but is a last ditch effort for these types!

That's a bunch of crap. 'airplane pilot' isn't a dangerous job by any stretch of the imagination.

That article is a little misleading on this point. Being an alaskan bush pilot, like the article implies, is incredibly dangerous. When you get to flying more complex turbine airplanes the risk is certainly less, and is calculated, but still exists. Its credit to those professional pilots that people think that it's "not dangerous by any stretch of the imagination."

ETA: To make this on topic, that cop was an asshat and canton is better off without him on the team. It's also good to see the ccw charge was lifted.

Last edited:

You would be correct. You have to leave the department in good standing. IIRC there is also a retirement requirement, as opposed to just leaving, and a time requirement that is something like 15 years on the job.

I'll certainly concede that bush pilots are flying the riskiest flights. How many people died last year on aircraft operated under parts 135 or 121? Or even under part 91 where at least a commercial certificate is required?

Also, that cop in OH is a total douchebag. Glad to see things are working out.

That article is a little misleading on this point. Being an alaskan bush pilot, like the article implies, is incredibly dangerous. When you get to flying more complex turbine airplanes the risk is certainly less, and is calculated, but still exists. Its credit to those professional pilots that people think that it's "not dangerous by any stretch of the imagination."

ETA: To make this on topic, that cop was an asshat and canton is better off without him on the team. It's also good to see the ccw charge was lifted.

You would be correct. You have to leave the department in good standing. IIRC there is also a retirement requirement, as opposed to just leaving, and a time requirement that is something like 15 years on the job.

Fed Law changed in 2010 IIRC and there is no longer a retirement requirement and time was dropped to cumulative 10 years service. Of course none of this applies in MA as it is violating the Fed Law and has been since day one. MA still requires that you retired from MA Muni (FT Only) PD or MSP ONLY, with 15+ years, retirement entitlement . . . nobody else need apply.

Where is MPA, SPAM, BPPA, and F.O.P. on this issue?

They are letting their membership get screwed like this without applying pressure to Deval & company

Flight instruction is the only Part 91 op that requires a commercial cert. Or is there something else I missed?
All of corporate aviation, pipeline patrol, fish spotting, local sightseeing flights, etc. Pretty much anything where a pilot is being paid to fly but there isn't a requirement to have a 135 certificate. Corporate would be the biggest example of this.

Len, The Environmental Police are also covered in Mass. I have a "Retired" ID Card that sayes so, As it is properly formatted, Per the CMR.

I'm happy you succeeded and honestly surprised. I was at the hearings, read the CMR and picked it apart in writing to them, attended the GCAB meeting after the hearing and they made it clear that they wanted to implement it as narrowly as possible . . . no Feds, no Harbormasters, no Deputy Sheriffs, no PT POs, no officers who retired from agencies outside MA but now live in MA. no this and no that!

AFAIK, no effort has been made to revise the CMR to account for the changes in 2010 either. That will cause all sorts of heartburn as it includes folks like me (PT PO with >10 years, no pension benefits). The out will be no IDs to us (that's my current situation as well) and thus no LEOSA coverage.

I'm happy you succeeded and honestly surprised. I was at the hearings, read the CMR and picked it apart in writing to them, attended the GCAB meeting after the hearing and they made it clear that they wanted to implement it as narrowly as possible . . . no Feds, no Harbormasters, no Deputy Sheriffs, no PT POs, no officers who retired from agencies outside MA but now live in MA. no this and no that!

AFAIK, no effort has been made to revise the CMR to account for the changes in 2010 either. That will cause all sorts of heartburn as it includes folks like me (PT PO with >10 years, no pension benefits). The out will be no IDs to us (that's my current situation as well) and thus no LEOSA coverage.

I mentioned this a while ago, but I know a guy that works for a FED agency that was specifically named as being covered under LEOSA after the update just over a year ago. Their boss still says "no" even though they are named in the update to the bill. The FOP has been trying to get a meeting with him to discuss it, but he won't budge. It's great having an anti for a boss.

I agree that LEOSA is BS because it creates a special class above the average gun owner on the street, but I don't blame the cops at all for taking advantage of it.

All of corporate aviation, pipeline patrol, fish spotting, local sightseeing flights, etc. Pretty much anything where a pilot is being paid to fly but there isn't a requirement to have a 135 certificate. Corporate would be the biggest example of this.

Ahhh, yes. I am rusty as hell on FARs as you can see.

I just got this through email. I was shocked that it did not make the rounds to the gun forums.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/x2105837634/Fired-Canton-officer-Daniel-Harless-wins-back-his-job

By Ed Balint
CantonRep.com staff writer
Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 03:15 PM
Last update Nov 14, 2012 @ 09:15 PM

Fired Canton officer Daniel Harless wins back his job.

CANTON —

Fired police officer Daniel Harless could get his job back if he gets medical clearance to return to work.

An arbitrator hearing Harless’ appeal ruled in the former patrolman’s favor. The 15-page ruling was dated Saturday and released by the city Wednesday.

Harless’ attorney indicated his client is unlikely to seek his old job, at least for now. He has been receiving workers’ compensation and has applied for a disability retirement pension.

But Harless now has the right to be back on the job, according to arbitrator Harry Graham.

“Return to active service, if ever, is to be determined by competent medical authority,” wrote Graham, an arbitrator since 1972 and a retired professor of industrial relations at Cleveland State University.

~~~~~~

‘CONDUCT WAS DEFENSIBLE’

In January, Safety Director Thomas Ream fired Harless for making threats during multiple traffic stops. Ream cited a pattern of verbal abuse and making physical or death threats.

The safety director said the arbitrator had more information about the incidents. Unlike the city’s disciplinary hearing, when Harless was advised by a medical professional not to participate, he testified and answered questions at the arbitration hearing.

“This is not a shocking ruling given all the things that were present for the arbitrator,” he said. “So we will abide by this ruling, and if officer Harless is able to get his medical clearance, we’ll let him back on the police department.”

more text at the link.

Just another beat up bullied kid turns out to be a power tripping cop who thinks he's above the law I hope they fired him and that he got charged not the driver.

i watched the video, what a giant Ahole. But to many pages to sift thru. why is he on workers comp and disability? Did he hurt his neck carrying around the useless 8 pound skull full of rocks

Back
Top Bottom