• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote

I could be wrong. You cant use larger then .22lr at night while hunting coyotes in MA.
Correct me if im wrong.
But you can exterminate coyotes on your property if necessary, by any means necessary, at any time.
Other than setback requirements, and if that was the case id use and air gun or trap.

Also this .22 not being humane is crap..but i would prefer .223 as my guns utilize drop in .22 conversions rather than dedicated upper.. meaning im firing .22lr though a .5.56 barrel.
It accurate enough at 50' but not 100 yards for head shots..

The law is stupid and isn't necessary other than noise......which supressors would be a better answer to the alleged problem (allegedly reducing poaching and noise pollution)

Last edited:
Forgot to mention this.
.22LR is is not my go to caliber for coyotes but is a capable round if you do your part.
Another law that should be changed re. Night hunting, is no use of artificial lights. How are you supposed to positively identify your target? Always thought this was a little dangerous, I think it is often ignored though, not by me of course.

Forgot to mention this.
.22LR is is not my go to caliber for coyotes but is a capable round if you do your part.
Another law that should be changed re. Night hunting, is no use of artificial lights. How are you supposed to positively identify your target? Always thought this was a little dangerous, I think it is often ignored though, not by me of course.

I'm pretty sure you can use lights at night for coyotes .

They are all over the place! I saw one trotting down Concord Ave in Cambridge at 2-3am this summer. I've got a couple that run around late night behind my work in Burlington. Just last night one was barking and yapping up a storm out back.

They are all over the place! I saw one trotting down Concord Ave in Cambridge at 2-3am this summer. I've got a couple that run around late night behind my work in Burlington. Just last night one was barking and yapping up a storm out back.

I almost hit one a few weeks ago on RT 3 North in Tyngsboro, about 1:00am the sucker ran right out in front of me, I stomped on the brakes and just missed him by inches.

C2B0279A-DD73-4E98-98AB-CE2EC8E1D69A.jpeg This is what happens when you hit one at 40. He bounced off, hit a street signpost and kept going. I returned to the scene armed for coyote. Minamal blood in new snow, but I tracked him to a huge mountain laurel stand behind a ball field. I didn’t go in after him. I figured his brothers wouldn’t let him go to waste.

View attachment 214300 This is what happens when you hit one at 40. He bounced off, hit a street signpost and kept going. I returned to the scene armed for coyote. Minamal blood in new snow, but I tracked him to a huge mountain laurel stand behind a ball field. I didn’t go in after him. I figured his brothers wouldn’t let him go to waste.

Dang!

I was leaving work and walking back to my car about midnight, in a really dark parking lot, and there was a coyote standing next to my car, I didn't see him until I was about five feet away.
I was a bit startled but didn't panic, sorry, no shots fired [laugh].
I just yelled at him sarcastically "What are you doing ? Get out of here you knucklehead!" and he just strolled away. I could see him better when he walked toward the street lights, he was average size, maybe a bit skinny, probably a youngster. I've seen them much bigger in the same general area, so it wasn't really an oddity to see one there.

View attachment 214300 This is what happens when you hit one at 40. He bounced off, hit a street signpost and kept going. I returned to the scene armed for coyote. Minamal blood in new snow, but I tracked him to a huge mountain laurel stand behind a ball field. I didn’t go in after him. I figured his brothers wouldn’t let him go to waste.
I’ve hit one at close to 60 and the most it did was dent my license plate and got blood in the grille...this was an Acura rsx...this car shouldn’t have looked that bad.

OP
"Help me, nature is infringing upon my property I specifically chose because it abuts conversation land!!! How dare that coyote!!!"

Dude, how about you just observe and enjoy. I rarely have a coyote come around my house, but it's happened a couple of times. I just sit back and enjoy the show. People need to stop treating them like they're the scourge of the Earth. They're not. One species can be described that way, but the coyote ain't it.

If you don't want to have interactions with nature, then live in the god damned city. Otherwise, realize that it is YOU WHO IS ENCHROACHING UPON THEM... Not the other way around.

In other words, change your diaper, don't piss yourself the next time, and let him enjoy the apples while you enjoy the show.

It's routine in some parts of the country for people who whitetail hunt by themselves - in wolf country - to kill deer and drag the carcass back while they're sained in the blood of the harvest and wolves are howling all around them. They don't bat an eye... But some people out here want to crawl into a shell when they see a yote...

Backbone.... get some.

Not sure if I understand the 'problem' unless you raise chickens/rabbits in your backyard - he eats bad apples? So what - unless he murders your neighbor's cat, or looks cross-wise at your dog, he's not a nuisance.

If you want to 'shoot' him with something, I'd go with a Telephoto lens.....

/this!!
...and even then, if he eats the neighbor's cat, that's the neighbor's fault, not the yotes. You abut conservation land. Wild animals live there. If someone who lives in such an environment fails to take the necessary precautions, that's on them - not nature. You want to find fault in such a situation, look in the mirror.

...this was an old thread, but the point is still relevant...

Last edited:
Coyotes are cool. The take care of all sorts of little critters- mice, chipmunks, voles, gophers, fluffy, appetizer dogs.....😎

We had a couple freely roaming our western suburbs of Chicago neighborhood. Near a forest preserve and golf course. Not a lot of stray cats around....

Last edited:
We have a pack that rolls through our back acreage. I’ve got no issues with them other than when they spook the deer.

We had a coyote stalking my neighbors wife and 3yo son while they were out on a walk. I've also had them on my back deck in the middle of the night sizing up my lunatic dog through the slider he was trying to bust through to get at them too. They are pretty bold, and you need to be wary of them.

NES always has some good advice so I figured I would try.

Yesterday morning I had a coyote in my backyard (I back up to conservation land) it was grabbing apples off the ground from a tree next to my property. The dog was barking. He seemed calm not rabid but broad daylight made me uneasy. I yelled at it a little from the house and it did go back into the woods.

About 10 pm last night I took the dog out, on a leash, kept him close to the house, and on the way back on when we got on the deck he went crazy barking at the woods. Came inside a few minutes later flipped the spot light on and he was in the yard again.

Reading a lot online about "hazing" using pennies in a can, pots and pans, yelling and making yourself intimidating which I will certainly try. I also plan to clean up as much of the apples as I can today.

an other tricks people have used that work or recommend? Also should I try to take care of it myself or just call town Animal Control and see if they will take care of it? I don't mind wildlife in the woods but this was a little too close for comfort even if people say they are scared of Humans.
Your on a gun forum and u are asking how to take care of pest animal that we are allowed to shoot as many as we want (I think). Also if i’m correct, MA let’s you shoot them at night with a 22?? They make great bait for lobster traps too, that’s about all I got. 🎃👍🏻🇺🇸

I’m getting them on my game cams - so many squirrels and chipmunks about that their flourishing in SoNH. Now, if I only had a few deer....

Back
Top Bottom