• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass. Ban on Hunting Contests for Coyotes and Other Fur-Bearing Animals

As it has always been, I have given that issue some thought, All the states receive Pittman-Robertson and Wallop-Brough funds from the Dept. of Interior based on the number of Hunting and Fishing licenses that they sell or issue. What needs to be done is for people of those two communities is to stop buying licenses for a year or two, and watch Fish and Wildlife cry like babies when they don't get those Federal Funds. I know this is a pipe dream, but it is the only way that F&W learns who is boss. Let the wildlife over take the state, Deer/car accidents go up. That is just one effect. F&W will have to cut jobs, Hatcheries close, and goes on and on.
True. I don’t mind telling MA to shove it but I’d have a hard time doing so in Maine.

True. I don’t mind telling MA to shove it but I’d have a hard time doing so in Maine.
I understand, When we lost trapping in That Shit Hole in beginning of 1997, Ballot Question was Nov. 1996, I didn't buy a hunting, fishing or trapping license in that state since. I moved out of that state in March 2005 and retired Jan, 2010. I still won't buy any license there.

My buddy said the same thing, but I live in a residential neighborhood, and even though we’re on an acre, it’s still a residential neighborhood. I have my Benjamin Prowler air rifle and will be adding a pistol that takes CO2 cartridges in the new year. It’s the best I can do with the situation I’m in.

Aaahem cough cough *bow* cough cough *bow*

“Participants of wildlife killing contests often use unsporting and cruel techniques — such as calling devices that mimic the sound of prey or even pups in distress — so that they can lure shy coyotes and foxes to shoot at close range," Laura Hagen, Massachusetts state director for the Humane Society of the United States, said in a statement.

The horror.

Bob
Good thing I'm going for squirrels in Tennessee. I heard they like piles of nuts placed in the middle of a cleared spot of grass with large trees 20-30 feet behind it.

In the news, Mass. Bans Hunting Contests Targeting Fur-Bearing Animals Like Coyotes, Foxes.

View attachment 319579

Fisheries and Wildlife Board pointed to concerns that hunting contests are unethical and contribute to the waste of animals.

Jim Wallace, executive director of the Gun Owners' Action League of Massachusetts, said the agency overstepped its authority by imposing the ban.

"They have tremendous authority when it comes to managing wildlife species and their habitat," Wallace said. "But once we harvest an animal — when, where, how, and how many — in our opinion that's where their authority ends. They have no right to manage contests."

Wallace, whose group includes members that would be affected by the ban, said he met months ago with the agency and their attorneys and said they were unable to convince him that they had the authority to take the action.

Not surprised at all, it was only a matter of time.

So years ago, when all this firearms banning took place, how many sat back with the "so long as it doesn't affect my hunting or trap shooting" attitude, now find themselves in a position of regret and bewilderment?

They have already destroyed and bankrupted the commercial fishing fleet in Mass
Comrade! You should be consuming:
Soyboy-2.jpg

Soylent.jpg

[thinking]

Last edited:
I find it... amazing? amusing? horrifying? That someone actually has a PRODUCT ON THE MARKET called: Soylent.

I'm guessing it will soon come in Green. [hmmm]

I find it... amazing? amusing? horrifying? That someone actually has a PRODUCT ON THE MARKET called: Soylent.

That's the joke the founders were making when they kickstarted the project. My understanding is that they're terrible people, but at least a little self-aware

I don't. There's an ass for every seat... Why not make money giving it somewhere to sit...

They have already destroyed and bankrupted the commercial fishing fleet in Mass

I live in Fairhaven..... right next to New Bedford - which at one time WAS the richest fishing port in the country... You're 100% on point...

That said, it's undeniable that George's Bank and other fishing grounds were overfished. The population of native species had plummeted. We can debate what that something is, but what was the status quo was going to bankrupt the fleet anyway once the fish were wiped out.

Believe me, I get it. I eat a fair amount of seafood. I buy it from Kyler's Catch in NB. I like supporting local businesses and the local fleet. Prices have reflected this new regulatory environment. That makes it cheaper to buy frozen nonlocal seafood from the grocery store and that's put a lot of pressure on the local fleet and seafood markets. I still shop at Kyler's though. Even if it is 30% more then S&S. Once you have fresh never frozen seafood, when you try to go back to that crap at the grocery store, it becomes a chore to choke it down.

Back
Top Bottom