• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass. Ban on Hunting Contests for Coyotes and Other Fur-Bearing Animals

In the news, Mass. Bans Hunting Contests Targeting Fur-Bearing Animals Like Coyotes, Foxes.

Ella-Barber-coyote.jpg

Fisheries and Wildlife Board pointed to concerns that hunting contests are unethical and contribute to the waste of animals.

Jim Wallace, executive director of the Gun Owners' Action League of Massachusetts, said the agency overstepped its authority by imposing the ban.

"They have tremendous authority when it comes to managing wildlife species and their habitat," Wallace said. "But once we harvest an animal — when, where, how, and how many — in our opinion that's where their authority ends. They have no right to manage contests."

Wallace, whose group includes members that would be affected by the ban, said he met months ago with the agency and their attorneys and said they were unable to convince him that they had the authority to take the action.

We had a several fisher cats at my place and o called the town F&G department, and their response was to keep my dogs inside. No. I’m not keeping my dogs inside so a fisher cat and her cubs can shit on my lawn, eat my trees, etc.

“Participants of wildlife killing contests often use unsporting and cruel techniques — such as calling devices that mimic the sound of prey or even pups in distress — so that they can lure shy coyotes and foxes to shoot at close range," Laura Hagen, Massachusetts state director for the Humane Society of the United States, said in a statement.

The horror.

Bob

The animal rights a**h***s are proposing the same thing here in New Hampshire. But here they want to do it by statute, not by regulation.

Just wait until a statesman’s child finds Fido or Boots devoured by a wolf or other such animal. There will be a motion to repeal this crap the next day.

Just wait until a statesman’s child finds Fido or Boots devoured by a wolf or other such animal. There will be a motion to repeal this crap the next day.

Don't count on it!! That state already has massive wildlife damage and the legislature has made it next to impossible to resolve those problems.

Wolves and Grizzlies (mostly wolves) are released on rural communities and banned from being killed as a form of population control (Agenda 21). This is part of that. That's why the regulatory positions are only given to treehuggers and sellouts.

Folks, Think about this for a minute or two: in 1996 a Ballot Question that passed based on it being an Anti Trapping, anti Dogs for Bear Hunting and Bobcat hunting, Also included language that eliminated "Stakeholders" (persons that held a Hunting, Fishing or Trapping License for at least the 5 Previous years) as being the only ones that could be appointed to the Seven Person Board of Mass. Fish and Wildlife. Some of you folks here in New Hampshire have been pushing for the same thing in regards to the Commissioners. Be careful of what you ask for, as you may not like the results.

Folks, Think about this for a minute or two: in 1996 a Ballot Question that passed based on it being an Anti Trapping, anti Dogs for Bear Hunting and Bobcat hunting, Also included language that eliminated "Stakeholders" (persons that held a Hunting, Fishing or Trapping License for at least the 5 Previous years) as being the only ones that could be appointed to the Seven Person Board of Mass. Fish and Wildlife. Some of you folks here in New Hampshire have been pushing for the same thing in regards to the Commissioners. Be careful of what you ask for, as you may not like the results.

In Massachusetts the hunters are the last in line when it comes to consideration when making regulations.

Bob

Thank you for your service.

Bob
You are Welcome. A little bit more that you should know, In my past down there, I was a the Vice President of The Mass Sportsmen's Council, and On the Board of Directors of Mass Trappers Association. So I was always fighting for our side. So when a person broke the law in the field, I did my job as "needed". When they were in the right, I stuck my neck out for them.

We had a several fisher cats at my place and o called the town F&G department, and their response was to keep my dogs inside. No. I’m not keeping my dogs inside so a fisher cat and her cubs can shit on my lawn, eat my trees, etc.

Your mistake was calling. Now they know about it, and if it disappears they'll show up to ask questions.

Your mistake was calling. Now they know about it, and if it disappears they'll show up to ask questions.

My buddy said the same thing, but I live in a residential neighborhood, and even though we’re on an acre, it’s still a residential neighborhood. I have my Benjamin Prowler air rifle and will be adding a pistol that takes CO2 cartridges in the new year. It’s the best I can do with the situation I’m in.

But they sure as shit love collecting our fees for the non sportsmen pet projects.
As it has always been, I have given that issue some thought, All the states receive Pittman-Robertson and Wallop-Brough funds from the Dept. of Interior based on the number of Hunting and Fishing licenses that they sell or issue. What needs to be done is for people of those two communities is to stop buying licenses for a year or two, and watch Fish and Wildlife cry like babies when they don't get those Federal Funds. I know this is a pipe dream, but it is the only way that F&W learns who is boss. Let the wildlife over take the state, Deer/car accidents go up. That is just one effect. F&W will have to cut jobs, Hatcheries close, and goes on and on.

Last edited:
I had suggested to my state senator, Richard Ross, that towns that ban hunting, or de facto by banning firearm discharge, should not get ANY state funds for conservation projects. He was receptive to that idea. Then he lost his reelection bid.

Back
Top Bottom