Coyote

Last edited:
Wouldn’t shoot off more than paintball or air soft gun. I agree with you that it is nice to see nature in the wild, wish I had a better camera. The reality is that with the amount of kids and family pets in the area I would like it to stay about in the woods. I don’t like the feeling of taking my dog out at 930 at night and he starts going crazy because the coyote is in proximity. Step 1 will be cleaning up the food source step 2 “hazing” with noises step 3 most likely paintball or air soft anything after that I will prolly get animal control involved. I am however appreciating the humor so feel free to continue

I prefer Buck Murdock's approach to problem solving. Dig a 6-foot trench dug around your entire yard. Fill it with gasoline.

1-Airplane-2.jpg

Forget the paintballs, you could cause damage that makes it hard to survive the winter. Just clean up the apples and he/she will go away. Take a long pole and knock the stragglers off the tree. If you want to be nice haul the apples 1/2 mile into the woods well away from your back yard.

Animals visit you because there is food.

If you want I could have my sister bake something and you could put that out by the apple tree. If he lives after eating her cooking he won't trust any food in your yard again.

There are dozens of old apple trees at Westwood Gun Club. When the apples start falling off this time of year we'll see the long distance shooting area littered with coyote poop. It's disturbing how much.

I live within earshot of the club. And we'll hear them yipping, yapping, howling and barking at night. Freaks out my dog for sure.

I going to do that today. But there is still a lot in the tree so I expect more will fall.

Last edited:
Forget the paintballs, you could cause damage that makes it hard to survive the winter. Just clean up the apples and he/she will go away. Take a long pole and knock the stragglers off the tree. If you want to be nice haul the apples 1/2 mile into the woods well away from your back yard.

Animals visit you because there is food.

Hey gomer......I've been hit with paint balls before and no damage that kept me from surviving the winter! The f and g guys carry non lethal rubber 12 gauge slugs for getting nuisance animals moving.....so I'm quite sure a paint ball or two to a coyotes ass is not going to cause any permanent damage.

I had a lot of experience with coyotes in my Framingham backyard that abutted the Ashland State forest conservation land (before I became MarlborougMan)... I had two dogs at the time, a siberian husky and my ex-wife had a lap dog. Coyotes were coming around almost nightly, and they were getting more and more bold. Some of them were around the size of my Siberian. Anyway, I ultimately cured the situation when we started fostering and then adopted a Great Pyrenees dog. The coyotes wanted nothing to do with a Great Pyrr. But during my issues I did some research and read a great book written by Jonathan Way called Suburban Howls. One of the things Way found is that coyotes on the eastern part of the country are actually cross-bred with Canadian red wolves... which is why our coyotes in this region are larger than coyotes out west (and earlier somebody mentioned that he noticed reddish fur). Way also helped to convince me NOT so shoot the coyotes, which was the direction I was heading before I read his book. The book gave me a real appreciation for the intelligence of these animals that are living amongst us in every city/town in the state. As Way explained to me (I had an email conversation with him before reading the book) the coyotes probably viewed my wife's small dog as food and my siberian as a threat to be dealt with if they could do so safely. They generally won't mess with larger dogs (like the 95 pound husky-shepard I have now) or the Great Pyrr that my ex has, as the larger dogs are more likely to fight back and cause injury, which is essentially a death sentence for a coyote.

Firecrackers or bottle rockets if your really adverse to shooting them.
That should make them look elsewhere.
And despite what the bunny hugger crowd is telling you , they are a predator, and they can be dangerous to people and even larger breed dogs.
A pack tore a friends full grown golden retriever to pieces right by his front door.
The same happened to a neighbors golden a few years ago and two people were attacked right at the end of my street.
Just two killed a 19 year old girl hiking a half hour from my Aunt's house in Nova Scotia.
Nature ain't no Disney movie and hunger will make anything brave.

I had a coyote nesting in my back yard last year.
One neighbor wanted me to shoot it. I didn't want to deal with a 90 lbs dead coyote carcass that we've have to bury or something.

So the cops gave great advice.
I ripped up some rags and soaked them in ammonia. I'd drop a rag around the area he nested in about 10' apart from each other. And every few days i'd drop more ammonia soaked rags in other places. Did it for a couple of weeks. He stopped coming around.

I had a lot of experience with coyotes in my Framingham backyard that abutted the Ashland State forest conservation land (before I became MarlborougMan)... I had two dogs at the time, a siberian husky and my ex-wife had a lap dog. Coyotes were coming around almost nightly, and they were getting more and more bold. Some of them were around the size of my Siberian. Anyway, I ultimately cured the situation when we started fostering and then adopted a Great Pyrenees dog. The coyotes wanted nothing to do with a Great Pyrr. But during my issues I did some research and read a great book written by Jonathan Way called Suburban Howls. One of the things Way found is that coyotes on the eastern part of the country are actually cross-bred with Canadian red wolves... which is why our coyotes in this region are larger than coyotes out west (and earlier somebody mentioned that he noticed reddish fur). Way also helped to convince me NOT so shoot the coyotes, which was the direction I was heading before I read his book. The book gave me a real appreciation for the intelligence of these animals that are living amongst us in every city/town in the state. As Way explained to me (I had an email conversation with him before reading the book) the coyotes probably viewed my wife's small dog as food and my siberian as a threat to be dealt with if they could do so safely. They generally won't mess with larger dogs (like the 95 pound husky-shepard I have now) or the Great Pyrr that my ex has, as the larger dogs are more likely to fight back and cause injury, which is essentially a death sentence for a coyote.

This.

Super smart animals and very opportunistic hunters.

We had a pack that regularly circled a swan pond close to our property. They want nothing to do with my 2 shepherds.

If your not going to shoot it you'll just have to pick up the apples as they fall and hope he goes away.

Paintballs.....is a good idea as well.

You can buy pepper balls. Might work better than just paint but a lot more expensive.

There are dozens of old apple trees at Westwood Gun Club. When the apples start falling off this time of year we'll see the long distance shooting area littered with coyote poop. It's disturbing how much.

I live within earshot of the club. And we'll hear them yipping, yapping, howling and barking at night. Freaks out my dog for sure.

Those are coyotes? I thought it was some of the club members.

I like the bunny in heat balls.
Send him back to the pack.
Let him find out just how tough he really is![laugh]

Can you actually get those? If the odor is human detectable they might work on people even better than pepper balls. Or mix a few in with the paintballs for those that wipe paint.

dust the apple field with cayenne pepper...and set up a trail cam because that would be fun to watch...

I played a lot of paintball years ago. A bruise on you or me might mean a broken or sore rib for a small coyote. Miss and hit them in the eyes and you have a blind scared wounded animal wandering around. Bullets go where you point the gun, paintballs are much less accurate.

Hey gomer......I've been hit with paint balls before and no damage that kept me from surviving the winter! The f and g guys carry non lethal rubber 12 gauge slugs for getting nuisance animals moving.....so I'm quite sure a paint ball or two to a coyotes ass is not going to cause any permanent damage.

My wife uses an air horn a hand held boat horn, I prefer my 10-22 with sub sonic ammo. Might come back with the horn don't come back with the 10-22.

You guys keep mentioning Paint balls, I don't think you will get that coyote to stand still long enough for you to paint them. But pink balls would be a funny color on him,

Someone in my town decided to get bit by one this weekend, apparently the person thought it was a dog. Fox 25 and Channel 5 were at the public safety building today, no live shots while I was going by so no howling like a coyote to mess with them.

Someone in my town decided to get bit by one this weekend, apparently the person thought it was a dog. Fox 25 and Channel 5 were at the public safety building today, no live shots while I was going by so no howling like a coyote to mess with them.

just saw this on Eyewitness News 12 out of WPRI in Providence.. said to the wife.. "is that what I thought she said??" yep.. dude thought it was a dog.. WTF?? SMH..

I played a lot of paintball years ago. A bruise on you or me might mean a broken or sore rib for a small coyote. Miss and hit them in the eyes and you have a blind scared wounded animal wandering around. Bullets go where you point the gun, paintballs are much less accurate.
You need to check out the First Strike paintballs. But even the normal paintballs in a good gun can easily be controlled enough to avoid a headshot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom