Coyote

NES always has some good advice so I figured I would try.

Yesterday morning I had a coyote in my backyard (I back up to conservation land) it was grabbing apples off the ground from a tree next to my property. The dog was barking. He seemed calm not rabid but broad daylight made me uneasy. I yelled at it a little from the house and it did go back into the woods.

About 10 pm last night I took the dog out, on a leash, kept him close to the house, and on the way back on when we got on the deck he went crazy barking at the woods. Came inside a few minutes later flipped the spot light on and he was in the yard again.

Reading a lot online about "hazing" using pennies in a can, pots and pans, yelling and making yourself intimidating which I will certainly try. I also plan to clean up as much of the apples as I can today.

an other tricks people have used that work or recommend? Also should I try to take care of it myself or just call town Animal Control and see if they will take care of it? I don't mind wildlife in the woods but this was a little too close for comfort even if people say they are scared of Humans.

Last edited:
Where there's one coyote, theres more.

Get a few GSD's. They usually stay out of your yard.

Last edited:
It's gettin near breeding season. I never see them. NEVER. But I'll catch a glimpse of one or two during the rut. For sure. Daylight. Crossing streets. We're talking 2 or 3pm, not dusk.

Only one I've seen outside of that time was about 10-15 years ago on the hill overlooking Comcast in the Myles Standish Industrial Park. 8pm. COLD January night. He just came out of the woods and stood on that hill and watched my car drive by. Had it not been snow-covered, you'd have never seen him.

New England yotes have the strangest coloration on them. It's like the light-brown base color of multicam camo. Hence why both disappear in the woods.

NES always has some good advice so I figured I would try.

Yesterday morning I had a coyote in my backyard (I back up to conservation land) it was grabbing apples off the ground from a tree next to my property. The dog was barking. He seemed calm not rabid but broad daylight made me uneasy. I yelled at it a little from the house and it did go back into the woods.

About 10 pm last night I took the dog out, on a leash, kept him close to the house, and on the way back on when we got on the deck he went crazy barking at the woods. Came inside a few minutes later flipped the spot light on and he was in the yard again.

I live in MA to the whole "take care of it" would be out of the question unless there was a severe threat. Plus I do consider it an innocent animal.

Reading a lot online about "hazing" using pennies in a can, pots and pans, yelling and making yourself intimidating which I will certainly try. I also plan to clean up as much of the apples as I can today.

an other tricks people have used that work or recommend? Also should I try to take care of it myself or just call town Animal Control and see if they will take care of it? I don't mind wildlife in the woods but this was a little too close for comfort even if people say they are scared of Humans.

so you consider it 'an innocent animal', but you 'want to take care of it' or want .gov to take care of it? Your post is all over the place.

Take him shooting.

Tough to get them in the truck, so,
66661.jpg

so you consider it 'an innocent animal', but you 'want to take care of it' or want .gov to take care of it? Your post is all over the place.

You misunderstood. I am saying I don’t want to take care of it was trying to combat any of those comments in here. I just want it to go away. I was asking about animal control in case people have had the same issue and found that to be easier.

If your not going to shoot it you'll just have to pick up the apples as they fall and hope he goes away.

Paintballs.....is a good idea as well.

If your not going to shoot it you'll just have to pick up the apples as they fall and hope he goes away.

Paintballs.....is a good idea as well.

I hadn't thought of paintballs until I posted this thread (Go NES) I do have access. I am going to pick up the apples. Was also thinking an air horn to scare it as well.

I hadn't thought of paintballs until I posted this thread (Go NES) I do have access. I am going to pick up the apples. Was also thinking an air horn to scare it as well.

Pick the apples up and keep them handy near the door so you can Nolan Ryan them at the coyote next time it shows up.

Not sure if I understand the 'problem', unless you raise chickens/rabbits in your backyard - he eats bad apples? So what - unless he murders your neighbor's cat, or looks cross-wise at your dog, he's not a nuisance.

If you want to 'shoot' him with something, I'd go with a Telephoto lens.....

like this guy.. came into our yard a few years ago...
18746_229937473315_649813315_3287299_5811765_n.jpg

Wouldn’t shoot off more than paintball or air soft gun. I agree with you that it is nice to see nature in the wild, wish I had a better camera. The reality is that with the amount of kids and family pets in the area I would like it to stay about in the woods. I don’t like the feeling of taking my dog out at 930 at night and he starts going crazy because the coyote is in proximity. Step 1 will be cleaning up the food source step 2 “hazing” with noises step 3 most likely paintball or air soft anything after that I will prolly get animal control involved. I am however appreciating the humor so feel free to continue

Back
Top Bottom