• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote

You guys keep mentioning Paint balls, I don't think you will get that coyote to stand still long enough for you to paint them. But pink balls would be a funny color on him,
280-300fps, my son can do 22bps, I fire at a slower rate but I could always switch to automatic. Holding still is not nessisary.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Paintball his ass back to the Stone Age.
Use pink, humiliate the bastid!
Try to find paintballs filled with bunny in esterus urine!

pepper balls they are kind of expensive now but do the job there is also a product called deter it in paintball form no clue if it works or not

the Yote's have really been picking up in activity in the past few months around here. The crescendo of their yapping at the end of their hunt really sets off every dog in around the lake. My property also backs up to conservation land, I havent see any of them yet. But Im concerned that the neighbors outdoor cats and a another neighbors ankle biters will eventually draw them here. Not sure if they are kept at bay by my 75lb Rotty Lab mix that barks like a complete aszhole at every noise he hears, or every time he sees a leaf fall. No paintballs here, just .45ACP

Does anyone eat coyote? Or any predators? I'm curious - I've been thinking about this, and I think the only carnivore that hunters eat is bear, but they eat a lot of other stuff too - I'm wondering about the flavor or meat eaters.

No Chinese restaurant jokes, it's too easy a target.

Does anyone eat coyote? Or any predators? I'm curious - I've been thinking about this, and I think the only carnivore that hunters eat is bear, but they eat a lot of other stuff too - I'm wondering about the flavor or meat eaters.

No and no.

I hear BHO is fond of dog meat.

Here's a persistent bugger.

Should be titled "Man harasses coyote". The coyote was perfectly happy just walking away until the man moved in on him.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I see any around here they will be fed with .223 jacketed pills.
This. As someone with livestock and fowl I consider coyote pure predators and vermin. They get treated accordingly, within the bounds of the law (protecting farm critters).
Let me know what really works. Had two bears within 10 feet of our house recently.
9mm is the NES recommended caliber for bear

Seriously, start a new thread. Bear and coyote are very different animals and need different repellent techniques.

NES always has some good advice so I figured I would try.

Yesterday morning I had a coyote in my backyard (I back up to conservation land) it was grabbing apples off the ground from a tree next to my property. The dog was barking. He seemed calm not rabid but broad daylight made me uneasy. I yelled at it a little from the house and it did go back into the woods.

About 10 pm last night I took the dog out, on a leash, kept him close to the house, and on the way back on when we got on the deck he went crazy barking at the woods. Came inside a few minutes later flipped the spot light on and he was in the yard again.

Reading a lot online about "hazing" using pennies in a can, pots and pans, yelling and making yourself intimidating which I will certainly try. I also plan to clean up as much of the apples as I can today.

an other tricks people have used that work or recommend? Also should I try to take care of it myself or just call town Animal Control and see if they will take care of it? I don't mind wildlife in the woods but this was a little too close for comfort even if people say they are scared of Humans.

surprised you haven't shot him yet

This. As someone with livestock and fowl I consider coyote pure predators and vermin. They get treated accordingly, within the bounds of the law (protecting farm critters).
9mm is the NES recommended caliber for bear

Seriously, start a new thread. Bear and coyote are very different animals and need different repellent techniques.
I wasn't seriously looking for bear medicine, just amused that one coyote inspired such a long thread. We're in the 'burbs in western MA, and have coyotes, bears, deer and you name it passing through the yard all the time. We have a deal - they don't threaten us or wreck our stuff, and I won't drop the hammer on them. On the other hand, if I'm on a deer stand and Wily Coyote comes along, I'll try my best to turn him onto a rug. They're an invasive species that preys on livestock, pets and young fawns, and occasionally attacks humans.

the Yote's have really been picking up in activity in the past few months around here. The crescendo of their yapping at the end of their hunt really sets off every dog in around the lake. My property also backs up to conservation land, I havent see any of them yet. But Im concerned that the neighbors outdoor cats and a another neighbors ankle biters will eventually draw them here. Not sure if they are kept at bay by my 75lb Rotty Lab mix that barks like a complete aszhole at every noise he hears, or every time he sees a leaf fall. No paintballs here, just .45ACP

I was deer hunting a few years ago and came across a care taker for a land trust. I had just plugged a coyote and he told me of a nasty one that cornered his big ass and tough German Shepard. Dog wouldn't move. Guy got his gun and scared it off.

The coyotes on the cape are nasty and plentiful I've watched them pack hunt deer in my backyard, they also have zero problems coming right up to the pen the dogs are in and the 200 lb mastiff doesn't phase them as it seems the 25 lb frenchie is what they are after (and that little bastard might do alright against one) but if my dogs are in danger it's game on

The issue with coyotes is that there is usually the 4-6 that you don't see.

Where we live, when you see one, there are others lurking behind.

We own Akitas, and they are one tough S.O.B. of a dog. One on one, my Akita would tear a coyoye into small pieces.

However, if 4-6 coyotes got a hold of my Akita, it's all over.

NEVER let your pets run loose, especially at night.

Try an air horn that boaters use. You can purchase it in Walmart. The sound is deafening and will frighten the animal away.

I had un successfully use my electric coyote call, went back home and went out by myself with my night vision. I was about 2.5 miles from the nearest anything. I heard some coyotes, which i didn't really expect i just wanted to play with my NV. They were far far away, i let out a manual call and heard nothing...
I got myself into some real thick area, about 30' visibility. 4 or 5 min later i heard what sounded like more than a dozen all around me..

Ill admit it, it scared the shit out of me. The amount of area those dogs can travel in a short time was amazing.

Anyway, if you ignore a problem they rarely get better on their own...ive got a ground hog infestation and a feral cat situation over here that i wish i addressed it a few years ago...
Im all for live and let live, but if my property is being damaged or its just a general nuisance they have to go.

Hazing can work, but more than likely the coyote will be doing the same things, just sneakily enough for you not to see him...
If your gunna kill it, kill it. If you haze it then decide its got to go. The animal becomes harder to kill.if it doesnt fear you, shooting it will be no problem...also there's most likely already more than One in the area.

Come on, you guys! Do it humanely, or not at all.

I would not use .22 shorts!(although they may do it??)
Have shot more than one with .22lr, one dropped in his tracks, humane headshot.
One in chest @75 yds, only went about 75yds, bullet traveled all the way thru and did serious damage bullet ended up lodged in tail. Couple others dbl lung didn't go far. Haven't lost one yet. If you have ever skinned one you would see they are not very thick skinned, really not much you need to punch thru to get to vitals. I only shoot when they are standing still, usually just give a whistle and it stops em for long enough. I have also seen one shot with a 30/06, good chest shot and he still ran 75-100 yds with much of his vitals left behind. Don't knock the .22LR if you use good judgement and don't take shots that are too long.
I knew an old timer who used .22 semi on dear regularly, he used to get as many shots in chest as he could and said it was similar to buckshot, he used to get a lotta deer. He wasn't a bullshi..... but a little nuts I guess. I would never use on deer tho.

Back
Top Bottom