• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP Service grades back in stock

Cooooool! July of 1943 mfg...here's what was happening while your receiver was being made http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_1943

That one looks very well put together from the examples I saw last week at the south store. The parts all look really nice. Any chance we can get a picture of the receiver 'legs' where they go down into the stock? Any etchings of any sort?

Someone on the CMP forums might be willing to do a straight up trade with you for a Winchester trigger group for the IHC you got...that's a score in and of itself. The rest look like SA, which is just as well.

I will take a look after episode 3 of Game of Thrones...

ETA I didn't see anything that looked like etchings. Two dent type marks, what would I be looking for?

Last edited:
Nice! Hope the bring some H&R's to the NE Games.

Yeah, pics or it didn't happen...

Same here! I was hoping to come across 'my' H&R last week at the south store...no such luck. I'm still kicking around the idea of putting the '52 H&R barrel I got on my win13 onto a receiver if I can find one and just building one up from there. Seems H&R stand alone receivers are kinda rare though as all of them I've seen have barrels attached already and are typically new old stock.

- - - Updated - - -

I will take a look after episode 3 of Game of Thrones...

game of thrones?

How do you play?

Same here! I was hoping to come across 'my' H&R last week at the south store...no such luck. I'm still kicking around the idea of putting the '52 H&R barrel I got on my win13 onto a receiver if I can find one and just building one up from there. Seems H&R stand alone receivers are kinda rare though as all of them I've seen have barrels attached already and are typically new old stock.

- - - Updated - - -

game of thrones?

How do you play?

IMHO your better off mail ordering a service grade and stickie for a HRA. With Receivers running $500 plus unless you have parts on hand your going to spend more than buying a cmp special. Then you can swap parts until your HRA is as correct as possible.
You could order a few SGs HRA stickies then sell what you don't want or need based on what you like . I'm seriously thinking of a SG to swap out a 308 barrel and then sell the barrel to rocoup a bit of money.
Used to know a guy who wanted to build up his parts bin. He ordered 5 SG stripped off the receivers and sold the receivers
You end up with $230 parts kit.

Last edited:
Id like to remove the glue residue from what I assume was tape from the stock. Any recommendations that wont affect the wood?
3c1df16ed39252c78e54fea0f15be258.jpg
c0c57b36ae3a126616909d2d4889eb39.jpg
0b7cb82fbc2b7c18de3f9c91c68151e7.jpg
fac32963314e450263a5d7c00bdf58f1.jpg
6d0ff3553fa0afcff5ff206f3854e2f7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Goo Gone usually works quite well on tape residue. If old, dried residue it might take considerably more time to soften up so you can remove it. I think it's citrus oil based and should not be bad on wood. However, I'd try a small area.

Like that H&R. Hope I can find one from the CMP sometime before they are all gone.

Id like to remove the glue residue from what I assume was tape from the stock. Any recommendations that wont affect the wood?
3c1df16ed39252c78e54fea0f15be258.jpg
c0c57b36ae3a126616909d2d4889eb39.jpg
0b7cb82fbc2b7c18de3f9c91c68151e7.jpg
fac32963314e450263a5d7c00bdf58f1.jpg
6d0ff3553fa0afcff5ff206f3854e2f7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
stickers can be tough.... I would try heating it with a hair dryer and see if it will ball up when rubbed. Have some of that no slip synthetic pads around? ithas some traction to it and will grab the residue a bit. If that fails try steaming it lightly. I also have had good luck with tung oil and other "oils" to help break down the sticker residue. Straight dish soap was my grand mothers secret. it may discolor the spot a little.
If you find you need to fix up a lightened spot I have lightly scrapped some of the "finish" off from under the hand guards and dissolved it in tung oil and blended it in.
Whats stuck in your muzzle

Last edited:
nice looking boom stick Nic!

Diesel fuel is probably what they used back in the day, but it might leave an odor (i have no sense of smell and actually remember liking the odor of diesel anyway).

i'll offer this to you as well since you're local...if you wanna use my parts cleaner (a mixture of safety-kleen and kerosene that was freshened up recently) to get all the funk off the small parts, I can run you through a grease job and help you peen the barrel if it needs it to get you shooting.

just throwing it out there.

congratulations!

Last edited:
Got the email saying my M1 shipped today! Serial number is for a May 1944 Springfield. Will post pictures as soon as I'm able to.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Whats stuck in your muzzle

They are called rifle rods. They are plastic rods with a Velcro top, you then install Velcro on the roof of the safe. It allows you to cram a whole lot more rifles into a safe, without them bouncing off of each other.

Thanks everyone for the tips, Im going to try the less invasive tactics first, hopefully this weekend.

They are called rifle rods. They are plastic rods with a Velcro top, you then install Velcro on the roof of the safe. It allows you to cram a whole lot more rifles into a safe, without them bouncing off of each other.

Thanks everyone for the tips, Im going to try the less invasive tactics first, hopefully this weekend.

ahh yes i have seen those just did not register...my friend has one of those half round corner safes with a similar set up...

It arrived! New CMP wood, "LEAD 9-64" engraved on the receiver leg, which according to a brief google search means it was rebuilt by Letterkenny Army Depot in September of 1964. Barrel is a 1951 Springfield.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WxiBXoxwXYbfUPti1

WOW! That's one of the nicer looking arsenal rebuilds I've seen, and they even greased it for you :D

Congratulations on what should be a REAL nice shooter! That stock is thirsty (it IS thirsty Thursday)...better wet her whistle ;)

WOW! That's one of the nicer looking arsenal rebuilds I've seen, and they even greased it for you :D

Congratulations on what should be a REAL nice shooter! That stock is thirsty (it IS thirsty Thursday)...better wet her whistle ;)

The receiver leg pic was taken post-greasing by me right before I reassembled it. I used Mobil 1 synthetic which I read is a really good grease for Garands.

Congrats.
Mobile1 is what I use as well for my M1s.
The first disassembly of my CMP Special was tough because one of the pins was very sticky and I had to use a punch to get it out.

Service grade nearly fell out of the USGI stock.

Getting the trigger group back in was a struggle for me, any pointers?

New wood stock?
Lower your rear sight to full bottom. With the action in the stock place rifle sight side down on padded surface like a rugged floor. Install the trigger assembly the push the trigger guard/lock until you feel resistance then just lean into it.
Maybe someone can,post the SA worker giving the trigger lock a wack with the wooden mallet.

I've read the instructions, it's more a matter of getting it the last 3/8" without breaking something. I would believe a wooden mallet as mine is stubborn.

I've read the instructions, it's more a matter of getting it the last 3/8" without breaking something. I would believe a wooden mallet as mine is stubborn.

If it's down to 3/8 you just need a good some what quick push. Seriously lay it sight side down on the rug and just give a quick smooth shove into place. It's tough even the Marines had a hard time breaking them.
At the very end of this video you will see what I am,talking about. If I feel up to it maybe I will make a video on it also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom