• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP Service grades back in stock

put a note with your order

Already typed it up with the order form. Initially I hoped for an H&R because they were a local company, but after a cursory google search it turns out that they are excellent shooters and in generally better condition than Springfield's and wartime Winchesters. I'll have to do more searching around to see what's turned up with this recent batch of Springfield and H&R's.

Already typed it up with the order form. Initially I hoped for an H&R because they were a local company, but after a cursory google search it turns out that they are excellent shooters and in generally better condition than Springfield's and wartime Winchesters. I'll have to do more searching around to see what's turned up with this recent batch of Springfield and H&R's.

You just never know what your going to get with any cmp garand. Oddly enough my best out of the case (after a detail strip clean and lube) shooter is a service grade SA with a MW=3 and TE 4.
My standards for a good shooting M1 is to at least hold the black of a SR1 target.

The newest GI Garand receiver you can get is 61 years old. Today it comes down to how good your barrel is, how the stock locks up, and how good of a shooter you are.

what i thought all garands magically shot 2moa!

lots of central, ma guys throwing their hat in the ring lately...wonder if we'd have any luck hosting a CMP match around Worcester area? I know one of the gentlemen at the OCSA first CMP match of the year was mentioning that there's a 200yd range in Grafton. I know hamilton in sturbridge has 200+ but the politics/range rules there are ridiculous and i wouldn't want to give them another dime of my money.

Auburn SC did a surplus shoot last year. They are onky out to 100 yards. But I don't see why they couldn't have a Garand category.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lots of central, ma guys throwing their hat in the ring lately...wonder if we'd have any luck hosting a CMP match around Worcester area? I know one of the gentlemen at the OCSA first CMP match of the year was mentioning that there's a 200yd range in Grafton. I know hamilton in sturbridge has 200+ but the politics/range rules there are ridiculous and i wouldn't want to give them another dime of my money.

reading rifle does a few garand matches per year... low turn out generally

lol...you beltway guys don't even know where worcester is, do you?

attachment.php

Attachments

• MassMap.jpg
    MassMap.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 176
Here's the last 7 cmp matches for cmp in the state of Massachusetts
itle and Sponsor
Dates
City
State
Type
Registration
Cape Ann Sportsman Club 2017 Clinic
Cape Ann Sportsman Club Aug 27 2017 Gloucester MA CMP Clinic Inquire by email
Cape Ann Sportsman Club 2017 Clinic
Cape Ann Sportsman Club Oct 15 2017 Gloucester MA CMP Clinic Inquire by email
Gun Owners Action League EIC Service Pistol & .22 Rimfire Pistol
Gun Owners' Action League Aug 27 2017 Attleboro MA EIC Competition Inquire by email
Old Colony Sportsmen's Association 2017 As-Issued Military Match
Old Colony Sportsmen's Assoc Sep 10 2017 Pembroke MA Garand, Springfield, or Vintage Military Inquire by email
Old Colony Sportsmen's Assoc Oct 15 2017 Pembroke MA Garand, Springfield, or Vintage Military Inquire by email
Old Colony Sportsmen's Assoc Nov 05 2017 Pembroke MA Garand, Springfield, or Vintage Military Inquire by email
Reading Rifle & Revolver Club EIC Service Rifle Match
Reading Rifle & Revolver Club Aug 27 2017 Reading MA EIC Competition

Here is a list of all clubs affiliated with cmp in MA.
Maybe one of these clubs is closer and not doing registered cmp clinics or matches like Hanson,Rod and Gun does down my way they just have cmp "shoot"
Acushnet Rifle & Pistol Club Acushnet MA www.acushnetrifleandpistol.com
Annawon Council BSA Camp Norse Norton MA
Bartlett High School AFJROTC Webster MA
Bass River Rod & Gun Jr Club Yarmouthport MA
Beverly High School MCJROTC Beverly MA
BMC Durfee High School NJROTC Fall River MA
Braintree Rifle & Pistol Club & Jr Div Braintree MA www.brp.org
BSA Boston Minutman #227 Milton MA
Cape Ann Sportsman Club Ipswich MA capeannsportsmansclub.org
Cape Cod & Islands Council, Inc. #224 Yarmorth Port MA
Chicopee Sportsmens Club Inc Chicopee MA www.chicopeesportsmensclub.com
Clinton Fish & Game Protective Ass. Inc. Berlin MA clintonfishandgame.org
Danvers Fish & Game Club Jr Div Middleton MA danversfishandgameclub.org
East Boston High School JROTC East Boston MA
Falmouth Rod & Gun Club East Falmouth Ma www.falmouthrodandgunclub.com
Ft Devens Rifle & Pistol Club Inc South Lancaster MA
Gloucester High School MCJROTC Gloucester MA
Gun Owners' Action League Northboro MA www.goal.org
Hanson Rod & Gun Club Inc. Hanson MA www.hansonrodandgunclub.org
Harvard Sportsmen's Club Harvard MA www.harvardsportsmensclub.net
Haverhill High School MCJROTC Haverhill MA
High School of Science & Technology NJROTC Springfield MA
Holbrook Sportsmens Club Inc & Jr Div Holbrook MA www.hsc1.wildapricot.org
Holliston Sportsmen's Association Holliston MA www.hsanews.com
Holyoke Revolver Club Inc Easthampton MA holyokerevolverclub.com
Hopkinton Sportsman's Association Hopkinton MA www.hsasports.com
Jeremiah E Burke High School Dorchester MA
Lawrence High School Lawrence MA
Lee Sportsmens Association Lee MA www.leesportsmen.com
Lenox Sportsmen's Club Lenox MA
Leominster Sportsmen Association Leominster MA www.lsa-ma.org
Leyden Rifle Club, Inc & Jr Div Leyden MA
Lynn English High School MCJROTC Lynn MA
Madison Park Tech Vocational High School Roxbury MA
Mansfield Fish & Game Protective Assoc Inc Mansfield MA www.mansfieldfish.com
Marlboro Fish & Game Association Inc Marlboro MA www.marlborofishandgame.com
Marshfield Rod & Gun Club Marshfield MA www.marshfieldrodandgunclub.com
Massachusetts Rifle Association Woburn MA www.massrifle.com
Maynard Rod & Gun Club Maynard MA www.maynardrodandgunclub.com
Methuen High School JROTC Methuen MA
Montachusett Regional Vacational Tech School Fitchburg MA
Monument Beach Sportsman's Club Inc Monument Beach MA www.monumentbeachsports.com
Nenameseck Sportsmens Club Palmer MA www.nenameseck.com/
New Bedford High School JROTC New Bedford MA
Nipmuc Rod and Gun Club Hopedale MA www.nipmucrodandgun.com
North Grafton Fish, Game & Bird Club Inc Grafton MA www.northgraftonfgb.org
Northampton Revolver Club Northhampton MA northhamptonrevolverclub.org
Old Colony Sportsmen's Assoc Pembroke MA www.old-colony.org
Oxford High School NJROTC Oxford MA
Quabbin Regional High School NJROTC Barre MA

- - - Updated - - -

It's very hard to get anything going if it's not already up and running at a lot of clubs.
Hanson was tossing around a PRS type match with 22lr. Like a,know your limits style of shooting
That was close to 2 years ago.

I know 10 garand owners 15 minutes from OCSA in,any direction.
They will most likely never show up.
They don't even answer the scheduled text I send them any more.

Last edited:
If I showed up to Bartlett High School in Webdah with 10 guys with Garands, do you think they'd shut the state down?

Seriously wondering why they're on the list...do they have a rifle team? I see they have Air Force ROTC...but the Air Force doesn't use guns, do they?

THe JROTC programs typically obtain their drill rifles from the CMP.

I'm actually AMAZED they allow chunks of steel and wood that resemble the likeness of firearms in a MA school.

I bet they don't leave the JROTC Instructor closet much these days.

When I was in JROTC, about 7 years ago, they were locked up in safes, that were also secured in a fabricated steel cage/closet that had concrete block walls on 3 sides.

They were used fairly regularly however during PT, Drill practice, and for when the drill team and color guard were at various events. We also had a couple dozen pellet rifles for the Marksmanship team, and used during class a few times a year.

Alright boys...i think i might get the go ahead for a CMP south store visit after continuous temper tantrums and pouting on the drive to GA. Her reasoning was sound as to why she didn't care for me taking off in the middle of a visit to meet her family, but i proposed a new plan to hit the store on the way home instead and i think she bought it!

So the scenario is that i'm on the hunt for a near correct H&R or a 6 digit SA or block letter IHC...field or special grade with GI wood for either preferred, but would be willing to souce a stock in the future. To any of you that have been to the store, do they let you take the rifles out of the stock? Anything in particular any of you would be looking for? I like shooters, but as Mac has mentioned before, theres no real way to tell from a simple MW or TE reading as to how any rifle will actually shoot. I'm not sure whoch morning we're leaving, but from what i read on the forums 'store report', the same amount of rifles are being stocked to the shelves each day...leaving the specials and sniper rifles to sit until the right bhuyer comes along.

I'm literally giddy thinking about it, but it's the least the CMP gods could do for a guy that's probably not getting laid this week while under 'meet the parents' status. I have yet to find out where i'm sleeping tonight...no sinning allowed :(

I know there are signs that parts swapping is a BIG no-no. They did replace a gas lock with no finish with a better one for me. I do miss that October '41 I let go a year or so back.

t

They have a "inspection" table. Where they have a few gauges and I'm sure if you ask one of fine desk workers will let you split the action. If it's slow you might even get some special attention.

Back
Top Bottom