• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP Service grades back in stock

At the CMP Sales table in Vermont last year I started taking a TG out and was told by the guy next to me that they will yell at you for disassembling rifles.

I didn't bother with removing any TGs at the sales table at Butner this year, but I saw a bunch of guys who did, and no one seemed to mind (or they didn't get caught). One guy even took out a dime and started disassembling a Carbine !

I can see them not wanting you to remove parts at a satalite sale. At the main stores bring it to the counter and ask. Im trying to find a video of a gent trying to use the throat gauge at cmp store and the counter guy just stops them....your doing it all wrong!
go to 3:40

Last edited by a moderator:
I brought my MW gauge and bore scope, but not really thinking that either of those are going to actually help me choose a rifle.

Are there any other 'special' Garands you guys would keep an eye out for? My SA service grade is already my 'match' rifle, as it basically came as a special minus the criterion barrel and the sling. It's surprising to me how well I can shoot with it. Someday it'll probably even let me catch up to your scores at OCSA is the Reserves will let up on their damn drill schedule next year.

Anywho...if you think of anything that'd be neat to look for specifically, let me know. I'm pretty decent at the initial inspection part to make certain I'm not buying a basket case. That being said, my hope is to come home with two field grades with some neat/desirable parts...even if the rifles show some wear.

I'll do my best...I haven't delved into the realm of uploading video yet though. Kinda sad how tech retarded I am.

took me YEARS to be able to do it with out pulling my hair out and a few wasted hours. Smart phone and the you tube app has really made things easy. Im trying now to figure out the live feed on you tube.

took me YEARS to be able to do it with out pulling my hair out and a few wasted hours. Smart phone and the you tube app has really made things easy. Im trying now to figure out the live feed on you tube.
"Friday Night: LIVE, mac1911 from the reloading den, where he answers his viewers' reloading and milsurp questions they were too afraid to ask"

Are the bayonets in store different from what they offer online?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

i dont think so? I have not seen to much on the bayonets.... they might have nicer ones and really rusty ones. The valuable ones go to CMP auction

Good luck with the rifle hunt, Dakar.

Also mind your P's and Q's down South. If you have any tendency towards colorful language, start washing that potty mouth now. Back home I had a new hire engineer work with me in the field, in God's country middle of nowhere Mississippi. He took the job fresh from the Merchant Marine, and his language was a bit fresh as well- in front of people who always say grace before every meal, even at work. I literally started punching his shoulder every time he dropped a F-bomb. Great guy and now one of my best friends...

I wonder if they will bring any IHC's or H&R's to Vermont. I'd be tempted to grab one of those.

I'm definitely minding my manners and holding doors. Saying please and thank you and I clean up nice too! :D

I just got told I can go on Thursday without hurting anyone's feelings...so long as I'm back for dinner with her friends. SOLD!

I get fist pickings for the store opening so long as I can make it there by 8am! Just not certain I'll get what I'm looking for if there are other people that are better at knowing where to look first...and from what I've read, there most certainly will be.

So how does the process work? If there a limit on how many rifles everyone can get in the store? Do I print up paperwork ahead of time or should I just fill it out there? I'm going to want to see the marksmanship park, but might not join in until I can get the rifle properly lubed up. I (of course) brought everything I need for the job to make it range ready :)

Get there early. Rush the door. Grab many rifles and head to a corner. Use this look:

full_metal_jacket_movie_image.jpg

Should give you enough time to sort through them and pick a good one. [smile]

On a serious note, I'd be in the same boat as far as knowing what to get. I'd probably start with the receiver I want, then USGI wood, then check the tags for muzzle and throat measurements. If I found two I liked, I'd ask to check the lock-up.

This is more of a cmp forum thing, but I never made an account over there,

Order Placed: 8/14 via snail mail
Order recieved 8/18
No dbu email
Shipping notification 8/22 --Held at fedex since I worked in the morning.

**Sticky for usgi wood/ hra reciever.
Recieved SA 1.9m
Muzzle read 1 Throat 1 1/53 lmr barrel.

Havent taken anything apart yet.

Here's a few I just took. Haven't tried taking good gun photos before. If there's anything specific you want to see or think I should take one of let me know.
b274f6ebf8ab2e5fce2a7e5b7e05a141.jpg
8a1a7556dcf51d86fc6ddcbfc8a0d252.jpg
0f08aa8f709a555fa9d05e39d9a48964.jpg
b83a038eea305498db948846296ead2b.jpg
dc427a4bcb6c8649fd0a64e64587f176.jpg
2d4a6e79471bc71848a5f7f3a6a85290.jpg
40581be107959b256e54cfdeb91d721e.jpg
ee86db152f68bd185ecd1f0ad7e7be13.jpg
6d738f6949b1ca6df08edc067d45b66f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Nice looking rifle. Looks like a Red River Arsenal 60s rebuild....well at least the stock went through there.
Nice new barrel by the MW and TE #s

Nice wood! Enjoy!

Reminds me that I need to do something with the plain CMP wood on my Garand.

Nice looking rifle. Looks like a Red River Arsenal 60s rebuild....well at least the stock went through there.
Nice new barrel by the MW and TE #s
Correct me if I'm wrong but the LMR barrels have a reputation for being accurate do they not?

Was gonna say, take the action out of the stock and look for an etching on the receiver leg
No etchings on the receiver leg.

I brought my MW gauge and bore scope, but not really thinking that either of those are going to actually help me choose a rifle.

Are there any other 'special' Garands you guys would keep an eye out for? My SA service grade is already my 'match' rifle, as it basically came as a special minus the criterion barrel and the sling. It's surprising to me how well I can shoot with it. Someday it'll probably even let me catch up to your scores at OCSA is the Reserves will let up on their damn drill schedule next year.

Anywho...if you think of anything that'd be neat to look for specifically, let me know. I'm pretty decent at the initial inspection part to make certain I'm not buying a basket case. That being said, my hope is to come home with two field grades with some neat/desirable parts...even if the rifles show some wear.

I like the Danish returns if you can find one with matching serial number. Finding anything "special" is going to be tough as now CMP is selling parts on auction it's very obvious they have cherry picked the Fock out of everything to find the good stuff to put up on auction.
As always I am always thinking shooter.
So I don't like lock bar sights. I like the larger more "open" sight ears. Other than that if your going for field grades try to get one with some even patina.
If you like early parts look for them. I can't tell you what's worth more and unless your going to part it out or try to find parts that will be correct for other rifles.

gun+stock.jpg

I've been toying with the idea of a spray-on bed liner paint on a CMP stock for shitz and giggles...

I tried that on a pellet gun...it's to rough at least the stuff I tried. There was a bed liner place down the street for a while and he sprayed it for me. A project I did before I was into taking pictures.
I don't know what boyds and others use on their stocks for the textured paint.
I don't know what's different about Krylon paint but over the years it's proven to be better to me and for my uses.
Their appliance epoxy paint is pretty darn good and tough. I seen Krylon bed liner paint and wonder if it's the same shit . I have a few 22s I need to strip and see if there's good wood under the shit Brown stain. If not I might do a test.

Last edited:
any cool stuff like 22 match rifles? any other types of rifles

Nothing of the sort! Drill rifles, m1 c's and d's, 3 wra specials and a whoooooooole lotta wra service grades. I got there right beofre 8 and there was a small group outside...nice guys. They helped ,e find the 13 i left with, but the guy grabbed another 13 that had some other wra major parts on it. I'm probably just gonna see if anyone wants to trade for a correct or mostly correct HRA or build the 13 into a special someday. Keep the history intact, but make it 'special' to my collection as a shooter maybe? At this point i just wosh they had the HRA field or service grades i was looking for though...but i couldn't come home empty handed :D

Win 13 Reciever, CMP wood (but some of the nicest i've seen), HRA '52 barrel, HRA complete TG, SA oprod/bolt...a mega mixmaster, lol...but the win13's have always had that 'neat' appeal. Damn that sales tax though!

Back
Top Bottom