1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

CMP Releases 2019 Rulebooks....

Discussion in 'Mil Surp Collectors' started by dw617, Jan 12, 2019.

1. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

So my A2 went on a diet
    I weighed my rifle several times and the final weight was 7.8lbs it right around 125oz,
    First off was the crappy “mil style” A2 brake. Below the welded and pinned brake and about 1” of barrel. I need to face and cut the crown. Most likely I will re crown ala Harry Potterfield style

View: https://imgur.com/a/vkWGwpA

View: https://youtu.be/b43odFm0mrI

I also decided to borrow the Houge round Free float and aluminum barrel nut , will weigh that soon and compare. From another upper.

So now my A2 pre 2019 rules compliant rifle should be rules compliant for post rule changes. I also hope to pick up a few accuracy nodes with the free float.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Mountain and dw617 like this.

2. dw617

dw617 NES Member

How did you hack that barrel end off?

3. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Harbor Freight Sawsall, BUT I only buy the good harbor freight tools!
    9 Amp Heavy Duty Variable Speed Reciprocating Saw

i have a jig like the one harry uses and recrowning tools.
    Although if I can find the time I will take up a offer to use a lathe to face it and cut a recessed crown.

4. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Nice! I'd be surprised if you don't see better accuracy from the free float. I don't think CMP really thought this through. Allowing free float is going to backfire against their intention.

dw617 likes this.
  5. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

IDK i never really laid this gun down for any accuracy testing. Its seen a diet of PPU M193 and wolf gold along with steel shit.
    I have a box of 1000 69gn CustomComp to run through it.

Ju st need to decide on 11' crown or recessed target style.?

6. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Square and burr free, the rest is personal preference.

7. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

im little rough with my guns so I need some protection. I did the ala harry square up and ready to crown
    [​IMG]

UPDATE: I pulled a Doh!
    Seems I decided to weigh my A2 with out bolt and charge handle. When I reweighed my rifle after cutting and swapping hand Guards I gained weight!! WTF
    Ok so now I say to myself "do I really have a A2 barrel like I was led to believe when I bought it. I should have known the minute I pulled the hand guards off. There is no taper on this barrel. A quick call to RRA and the fine lady said if its not tapered its a "Hbar" style barrel. with the brake and 1" of barrel lopped off im still over 3 lbs.

So now the fun part: MAC's custom barrels. They will be the perfect 17 47/64" long Custom saw mark crown and odd ball fluting!

I figure I can cut another chunk of barrel off and loose 2oz. Then take off some metal under the handguards!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  8. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

If you guys want to push some buttons up VT I have a few UMM rifles you can bring, they look the part and UMM is any cal up to 8mm

View: https://imgur.com/a/OnSzFF0

Mountain likes this.
  9. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Hey, I think we are inventing a new CMP competition category that requires no ammo: it's called piss off the inspector. Points scored by number of curse words. Usually the inspectors are from 'Bama, and it's extra difficult to get a Southerner to curse in public. I forecast that the winning score will be in the single digits and require inspection of at least 3 'iffy' MM rifles. Of course you only shoot one of them- the others are for inspection sport.

So now there's an unwritten rule that barrels must be tapered? Dis gonna be good...

[​IMG]

10. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

I will be shooting that AR at pembroke at least once!

11. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

here another one that will raise some eyebro'
    After shooting UMM can shoot sporter rimfire !!!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  12. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

13. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

chopped another feww inches of the end and re crowned it, almost ready...going into the paint shop next
    [​IMG]

14. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

whooHoo made weight
    [​IMG]

15. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Not bad for granddads rifle! , you have wrongringitis just like me.

dw617 likes this.
  16. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Well the AR made weight
    The M1a is still 3oz fat, was thinking of chopping the flash hider back to the muzzle but dont think thats 3 oz ? I will try the other stock and see if thats lighter.

17. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Cool that you figured out how to make weight, but again- SHAME on CMP for putting people through the wringer to meet their IDIOTIC rules changes. Unless someone happened to be showing up with a carbine or pencil barreled rifle, I bet there were few who would be able to meet the new rules criteria without either buying a pencil barrel, installing a carbine barrel and related parts, or modifying existing barrel as you have done. Otherwise the option is to go as light weight as po$$ible with multiple components in order to be competitive and make weight.

18. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

I have to say I think CMP did little in the way of seeing what "the Market" offered. Maybe they should have split the groups into carbine and rifle length?
    Well if I do get to VT ( about 1%, thats up from 0% last year) I will be ready. I hope my new walnut stock makes weight As much as I like the looks of my red stock its loose and ill fitted. Still can hold the 10 ring if I do, which I did not do so well past sunday

19. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

You could always do a little work on that red stock. Oh, that would also push you into UMM.

Maybe I should start a campaign to allow wooden stock bedding. I'd guess the supply of tight fitting, affordable stocks is going to dry up or they will only be available on a limited basis and will still not be affordable because they will be hoarded.

20. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

no it wont ! you make weight your good! well thats how the rules read to me.
    Show me where it says you cant have a bedded rifle or match barrel in class B modern military ?
    Remember you have CMP games "As Issued" matches and then you have
    CMP" Special Military Rifle Match Rules"

Oh sure toss in that "spirit and intent" thing

But "MM" is rules 5.2.3 and 5.2.4
    basically now if it "looks like X , weighs Y and has "iron sights" your good to go.

I would like to see where CMP makes it clear that a M1a that makes weight can not be bedded. Heck they allow any type of stock now. So if your chasis stocked M1a could make weight your in.
    You have a M1a in 6.5 or 35 whelen ius good to go!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  21. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

You sure about that?

So if I put iron sights on my .458 and it makes weight, it's GTG for MM at Pembroke? Added bonus is I won't have any trouble seeing shots in the black and the target puller will sure as hell know when one hits paper. LOL no way in hell will it make weight.

Butner is coming up in a few days. I bet MM inspection is a real shite show. It's gonna be fun to see what type and how many clarifications are made between now and Vermont.

You really need to work on that hall pass for Vermont. Beautiful setting, a great time, and I bet you will grow the ranks of trinket grabbing Ma**h***s. There's a bunch of us already, in fact I don't think any of us who shoot at Pembroke went home without a decent medal and a few grabbed some overall plaques. This year I plan to shoot 4 games matches and probably vintage sniper. I'll probably skip highpower this time in favor of sniper.

Rich shot sniper with another guy named Richard, so their team name was '2 Dicks' or something like that. At awards, I think they were called '2 Richards' LOL.

22. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Well pembroke maybe ok but you are above and beyoundbey the 556/233 for AR based platform...also exceeds the 8mm max for Modern Military.
    I could be wrong but I think at any CMP event/match shot in compittion maxes out at Cal 8mm be it games, EIC, service rifle.

So you bring up a good point. If you run a AR platform rifle can you run in "Modern Mil Class B" if you have other than "Class A 223/556"
    OR are you instantly banned to UMM Class A, does UMM class a have the same cal restriction of 223/556?

strange things going on for sure.
    So basically you have 3 groups for modern military
    Class A = AR platform= weight,Trigger, Metallic sights 223/556 only
    Class B= Any other type of semi auto based rifle that may have been issued some where in the world. If you have rifle not listed in the rules you can argue its " in service status" it then needs to make weight which will be dictated by what ever info is available for its in service weight.
    Then it just has to look like or be simular to the "issued platform.= Make weight,Trigger , Metallic sights , max cal of 8mm

Then you have the Unlimited Classes
    Class A Unlimited any AR based rifle that does not meet Class A/
    Class B Unlimited= any other semi auto rifle that does not meet Class B
    Oh and lets not forget
    Unlimited Garand which is any M1 Garand that does not apply to "M1 As Issued" or MM class B ---HOLD ON NOW
    Will the M1 automatically be put into UMM just for the cal change to 308?
    Fun stuff. Ft Butner eastern games is coming up we will see what happens with the rule.

23. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Its to bad they had zero humor for that team name. ? Thats such a "bad joke" it would be over the heads of the young, funny for 13 year olds and just monte python-ish

Nudge Nudge wink wink 2 shooting dicks, knowatimean

Mountain likes this.
  24. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Eventually I want to do a Polymer 80 build and want to use the ultralight Ace butt stock for that, so I bought the cheapest M4 stock I could find to throw on the MM abomination. Brownells brand and actually pretty well made. Checking on the butt plate is quite grippy. Comes in at 7.45 lbs now.

25. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Brownells tends not to tag junk. I hope they keep trucking. Seeing them put out guns now is promising.
    Never unhappy with Brownells. Plus if you are send it back.

26. dw617

dw617 NES Member

Just signed up for the MM Match at Camp Perry this year... 2 August. Thinking Colt SP1. The drop down had you select UMM or MM.

Mountain likes this.
  27. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

For you shooters going to VT Games dont forget your 10 round mags
    The “for formal target match excemption” ends july 1st
    Arrgghh

28. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Thought you’d be going for Vintage. If you can beat Brian at Vermont you have a shot (LOL) at winning Perry.

Overall, the usual OCSA crew did very well at Vermont last September. One of these years we should try to have a contingent at Perry. Mac needs to be part of that.

29. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

No shit? How did I miss that?

30. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member