CMP Releases 2019 Rulebooks....

Crazy. I am not spending $1 on modifying anything for MM. On the CMP forums, guys are buying new uppers, barrels, parts, etc. Rules could change next year again. I dont like MM that much. Will probably bring one of my Bulas and just shoot.

Oh, one more thing: None of us will care at local CMP's, but if you bring the Bula to Vermont or Butner the inspector will notice your medium weight barrel and know that your rifle won't make weight. I was bounced for the stupid front sight but he did mention that he saw I had a 'National Match' barrel.

Oh, one more thing: None of us will care at local CMP's, but if you bring the Bula to Vermont or Butner the inspector will notice your medium weight barrel and know that your rifle won't make weight. I was bounced for the stupid front sight but he did mention that he saw I had a 'National Match' barrel.

So an M1A standard, which also comes with a NM front, wouldnt even qualify?

They are going to have to define National Match now. Is it a spec or a cartouche?

Last edited:
So an M1A standard, which also comes with a NM front, wouldnt even qualify?

I assume you mean NM front sight. Based on last year's rules, nope- illegal! Personally I thought it was a dick move to bounce me for the sight. I had shot the same gun in the previous Vermont CMP match with no problem. At my age a thinner sight is no help. I don't think NM sights were specifically verboten but fall under the fuzzy no additional accurizing rule.

However... There is talk of NM sights being OK this year but I don't see in the rules where this is made clear.

Last edited:
NM needs to be defined now , is it a specification or a cartouch.
Things I might have missed thumbing through the rules.
Is the 308 M1 still MM legal, what about the BM59s?
I will mention that almost every firearm catagory except M1 garands has info and specs on sights.
Only thing I seen for garand is modifying the rear aperture hole size is ok BUT put this on and DQ
M1 Garand National Match Rear Sight Aperture USGI

I will be adding a .100" front sight to every now. I will stamp my sight NMac .

NM needs to be defined now , is it a specification or a cartouch.
Things I might have missed thumbing through the rules.
Is the 308 M1 still MM legal, what about the BM59s?
I will mention that almost every firearm catagory except M1 garands has info and specs on sights.
Only thing I seen for garand is modifying the rear aperture hole size is ok BUT put this on and DQ
M1 Garand National Match Rear Sight Aperture USGI

I will be adding a .100" front sight to every now. I will stamp my sight NMac .

Sad, but you are SO right about 'NM' stamps on sights. For non-CMP competitors, to get an idea of how frustrating the rules are- for M1's a NM marked op rod is OK but not sights even though you can make a standard sight's aperture the same size. Otherwise there's no difference unless you add a sight hood.

I missed a chance to shoot with Dakar today :( because I left my phone upstairs while I was in the basement being petty and vindictive:

nUOAcLPl.jpg

1.58 lbs without the buffer and spring, which add another ~.3 lbs. Lower comes from my first AR carbine build. It's a Seekins, which is well made and doesn't have a lot of extra meat where you don't need it. I had the ACE lightweight skeleton stock in the parts drawer. I'll have to use a standard grip, which will save a little more weight once I get rid of the rubber over-molded grip. Also in my spare parts was a RRA NM trigger group which breaks nicely at ~4.8 lbs pull.

For the upper I have a carry handle NM sight (OK per new rules) and I do have another spare front sight that can replace the cut-down one on my current scoped MM upper. That upper has a 20" USGI profile Criterion barrel. I can free-float that and should be all clear for the stupid weight limit. I rarely scored worse than 99 or 98 in slow fire with that upper despite the potential for sling tension induced POI shifts. Free floating it should make cleaning the slow fire stage even easier except for using irons. Really all I need to spend money on is a free float hand guard.

I may actually like this rifle when done. If I want to decorate it in some stupid theme, it might need to be reversible. Watch out for me at Pembroke- I'm going to ask the RSO to weigh everyone else's rifles. LOL, no; and I'd like to kick in the balls each and every turd that prompted these absurd new rules.

I wonder if that stock would comply to

"The exterior configuration of the rifle must be the similar to that of the original military or military-type rifle;"?

I have to admit, I was browsing M16A1 upper receivers today. Dupage had them, but sold out, for $600 with a buttstock, buffer and spring.

Yeah that could be an issue. However, at Vermont I did see several quite different butt stocks on MM AR’s. I wasn’t happy about the Bula front sight DQ so I was checking out all the different configurations that did get the standard zip tie for MM.

Will they be allowing muzzle brakes now?

I missed a chance to shoot with Dakar today :( because I left my phone upstairs while I was in the basement being petty and vindictive:

nUOAcLPl.jpg

1.58 lbs without the buffer and spring, which add another ~.3 lbs. Lower comes from my first AR carbine build. It's a Seekins, which is well made and doesn't have a lot of extra meat where you don't need it. I had the ACE lightweight skeleton stock in the parts drawer. I'll have to use a standard grip, which will save a little more weight once I get rid of the rubber over-molded grip. Also in my spare parts was a RRA NM trigger group which breaks nicely at ~4.8 lbs pull.

For the upper I have a carry handle NM sight (OK per new rules) and I do have another spare front sight that can replace the cut-down one on my current scoped MM upper. That upper has a 20" USGI profile Criterion barrel. I can free-float that and should be all clear for the stupid weight limit. I rarely scored worse than 99 or 98 in slow fire with that upper despite the potential for sling tension induced POI shifts. Free floating it should make cleaning the slow fire stage even easier except for using irons. Really all I need to spend money on is a free float hand guard.

I may actually like this rifle when done. If I want to decorate it in some stupid theme, it might need to be reversible. Watch out for me at Pembroke- I'm going to ask the RSO to weigh everyone else's rifles. LOL, no; and I'd like to kick in the balls each and every turd that prompted these absurd new rules.
Which USGI profile?
M16a1,A2,M4,socom?

Last edited:
Which USGI profile?

Not the A2. That won't make weight.

Can I glue some cardboard on it to make it look like the M4 butt? I saw stuff like this at Vermont-

iipsrv.fcgi
stock.png

Didn't get bounced into UMM.

I have an M4 hand guard but for its size it's a heavy SOB. I'm thinking carbon fiber.

Today, more cursing the jackwads who initiated the latest in the endless series of CMP MM rules-

I had Pullman pin my sight on the barrel when I had it neutered by them. They must use a press- it was a very neat job but those G-D pins would not back out even with a very large hammer. I think the banging woke up the entire family, and the neighbors too. If that didn't wake them up, my @#@#@$!!%@ cursing did. So now to grab the portable cut-off tool. Had to change the wheel and the wrench slipped off the nut, jamming my hand into a corner of the guard which gouged my hand open. Safety guard, yeah. More cursing- in general and directly aimed at the CMP. Made relief cuts in the old cut-down sight to loosen the pins, knocked the junked sight off the barrel, then went to work with the awesome AR15 multi-tool I bought from the forum. Finally the barrel is all stripped down and ready to free float. Now where did that flying buffer retainer go after it came back from orbit?

This has always been a delta ring upper, but it once had a front sight. Then CMP allowed scopes in MM and my eyes aren't getting any younger, so... After a season of shooting the scope with the front sight shadow bugging me, I cut it down and did a little grind and polish job to smooth the top. Worked great, until CMP says I need to grow back that front sight. Since they are allowing free-float hand guards, no way am I not going to take advantage of that. PITA ridiculous project to continue- what body part will bleed next?

'finished' building my M14 from scratch (barreled, lapped for contact and headspaced myself too), but still need to figure out if it's going to make weight or not. It comes in at 9lbs even on my home scale, but I still need to take the clip guide off. If I still don't make weight then, I can swap out the NM guide rod for a stamped steel job.

What do you guys use for scales, anyway? Do you think if I carried it into the post office they would weigh it for me? [devil2]

i'm going to shoot 1 round through it tomorrow and see if I still have fingers/face left. if so, I still have some parts to 'refinish' before the season (namely the spray painted black gas cylinder from my mystical box o parts), but other than that, she's fitted and ready to rock (i think).

'finished' building my M14 from scratch (barreled, lapped for contact and headspaced myself too), but still need to figure out if it's going to make weight or not. It comes in at 9lbs even on my home scale, but I still need to take the clip guide off. If I still don't make weight then, I can swap out the NM guide rod for a stamped steel job.

What do you guys use for scales, anyway? Do you think if I carried it into the post office they would weigh it for me? [devil2]

i'm going to shoot 1 round through it tomorrow and see if I still have fingers/face left. if so, I still have some parts to 'refinish' before the season (namely the spray painted black gas cylinder from my mystical box o parts), but other than that, she's fitted and ready to rock (i think).

Dibs on your M14 stuff. LOL, good luck and let us know how it runs.

Actually, I still have that DuPage kit to build but may just bank that for a long time. I'll just take my Bula to Vermont and if they kick it out to UMM, then I'll grab the fugly AR project that will be technically legal. Maybe just grab a handful of rifles that I know won't be MM legal but bring them to inspection and ask anyway? Maybe I can run them out of UMM zip ties...

I still can't figure out if they will or will not allow NM front sights for MM or if that means UMM. I guess if all else fails, I'll shoot my service rifle in UMM- after I add even more lead to it.

Dibs on your M14 stuff. LOL, good luck and let us know how it runs.

Actually, I still have that DuPage kit to build but may just bank that for a long time. I'll just take my Bula to Vermont and if they kick it out to UMM, then I'll grab the fugly AR project that will be technically legal. Maybe just grab a handful of rifles that I know won't be MM legal but bring them to inspection and ask anyway? Maybe I can run them out of UMM zip ties...

I still can't figure out if they will or will not allow NM front sights for MM or if that means UMM. I guess if all else fails, I'll shoot my service rifle in UMM- after I add even more lead to it.
Well since they are allowing aperture size changed and front sight size also it appears that if its stamped NM its DQ'd except M1 garands with NM op rod and gas cyl. ??
I doubt if I will make it to VT but if I do i will have .100" wide sight on every rifle I bring if possible.
Also if i mill off some meat on my M1a barrel I will make weight. I. Also working on ditching a few parts to make weight.
Fun stuff and im still stumped at the rules? Seems " Mondern " was left out of the rule committee?

Well since they are allowing aperture size changed and front sight size also it appears that if its stamped NM its DQ'd except M1 garands with NM op rod and gas cyl. ??
I doubt if I will make it to VT but if I do i will have .100" wide sight on every rifle I bring if possible.
Also if i mill off some meat on my M1a barrel I will make weight. I. Also working on ditching a few parts to make weight.
Fun stuff and im still stumped at the rules? Seems " Mondern " was left out of the rule committee?

I have the non-NM M14 sight that came with the DuPage kit, may have to mount that.

It's widely accepted that the "NM" marked garand op rods and gas cylinders aren't really contributing to much, if anything, than stock components.
And some how a NM stamped sight is? This is why CMP actually has to define what NM is. Is it a specification or a Cartouche?

File that silly stamp off!

$1650ish? plus shipping.

I tapped out in the 1300 range.

It was really nice, looked like it was fired very little.
f***s no! 25 year old pos!
Today I took the kids roller skating. 2.5 hours of load music, flashing and spinning lights, screaming kids. i was just starting getting used to the headache! My mind suddenly said. F,CMP Im not spending another dollar trying to make a rifle that was legal before legal again. i will let them just rule change me right out of playing.
I might mill off some weight from the Medium weight M1a barrel to at least make weight with that. Maybe.

f***s no! 25 year old pos!
Today I took the kids roller skating. 2.5 hours of load music, flashing and spinning lights, screaming kids. i was just starting getting used to the headache! My mind suddenly said. F,CMP Im not spending another dollar trying to make a rifle that was legal before legal again. i will let them just rule change me right out of playing.
I might mill off some weight from the Medium weight M1a barrel to at least make weight with that. Maybe.

Beats driving all over creation for boiler burner parts and spending the rest of the day hunched over cleaning and repairing. At least got the beast up and running before the next arctic blast rolls in. Had planned to shoot the NM Garand today but shit happens.

I like free floats, otherwise I would not spend money on MM. Not spending anything other than the free float.

Kinda half joking about the SP1.

I wonder what my M14 GI parts kit build weighs with the standard profile barrel.....

8.8lbs for my dupage kit built on a fulton cast receiver WITH a stripper clip guide and a NM op rod guide installed...so room to play with.

I'm only having issues because I didn't like my lockup and decided to swap to my 'loaded' SAI stock I bought off the other forum and refinished. I changed out the buttplate with a T44 rubber spacer and a garand buttplate (technically historically accurate and should be legal, i think) and i'm still dancing on the line according to the digital bathroom scale i have handy.

If I have to, i'll take the stripper clip guide off and switch to a stamped op rod guide to make weight. I'll take tight lockup on a stock over smooth action...although I can't say i've actually ever fired an M14 without a NM op rod guide?!?!

OK, so mine should be fine. Mine has a birch stock, but a quick google reveals walnut and birch are about the same density.

depends on the individual cut more than the type of tree it came from. those 'tiger stripes' all you fancy guys have are actually really dense sections of the wood, caused by changing wind direction while the tree is growing through the seasons. it causes the tree to build up at the flex points to compensate by adding strength to the stressed area.

if there's one thing i know about, it's wood...you might call me an expert on the subject. :D

...many lonely nights with nothing but wood.

Back
Top Bottom