• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP M1 Garand and Mondern Military is next 11/05/2017 @ OCSA pembroke ma

take up golf for a day... and go to the sout store.
You can have it mailed home. You can or at least used to ask then to ship on a certain date so your home when it gets there.
I have tried many times to find the time for the trip to either stores. although i guess north store is nothing great these days

i kinda figure this is gonna be my only shot to check the south store out in the foreseeable future...and at that while they still have some rifles for sale.

my girlfriend is too smart to stay with me long term, she's bound to wise up eventually.

Could be a store only thing; from what I gathered on the forums this is a new change. Your invoice is from Sept-2016.

Either way, Dakar should post to the South Store sub on CMP forums for the latest and greatest information.

i don't post to the CMP forums...tried to join a while back and it never went anywhere. i'll figure it out when I get down there, I guess...it's not a deal breaker if i have to carry it home.

i don't post to the CMP forums...tried to join a while back and it never went anywhere. i'll figure it out when I get down there, I guess...it's not a deal breaker if i have to carry it home.

Just leave it with me on the way back, I'll take care of it [wink]

9/10 mondern mil whos bringing what and what are you shootingfor ammo

I will be running my RRA "mil-spec" A2 with my RRA lower with a A1 length stock.... What am I running for ammo ?
I might just look in the draw and see what I have loaded up with 35 rounds in it. I have a handful of "mystery" loads
Might switch the Lee Pro1000 back over to 223 and just run some inexpensive loads.. Hornady 55gn FMJ bulk with some surplus 844 powder
powder .04
primer .015 still working on old inventory
bullet .06
brass call it free mixed what ever is already sized!

.115 cents per round should be fun

Colt A2 with some style points for the Bayo Lug + FH. I think my regular 77gr 223 load comes out to .25c/per.

Colt A2 with some style points for the Bayo Lug + FH. I think my regular 77gr 223 load comes out to .25c/per.

I'm just breaking into my current stash of powder and primers for the "match loads".
Primers are closer to 3 cents each on the next batch. Powder 8 cents and bullets .13 for the 69/77
I found a box of the 60 grain nosler varmint while setting up the lee....might use them. Pulled a 481 out of my ass with those.

I'm definitely looking forward to the MM match and the associated the puzzy gun / pizzasheit comments.

I'm just breaking into my current stash of powder and primers for the "match loads".
Primers are closer to 3 cents each on the next batch. Powder 8 cents and bullets .13 for the 69/77
I found a box of the 60 grain nosler varmint while setting up the lee....might use them. Pulled a 481 out of my ass with those.

High roller Mac! $0.24 a round! That's like throwing a quarter down range with every shot! :D

High roller Mac! $0.24 a round! That's like throwing a quarter down range with every shot! :D

BULK BABY, BULK
with my skill set nosler factory seconds are the way to go. Im not paying 23-30 cents(just for the bullet) for sierra match kings trying to shoot at a 3 moa 10 ring! Don't you listen to Franco
" John you cheap sob and your puzzy loads"......don't worry Franco 223 cast in the AR is in the works. I will be a double puzzy.
I have a cast load for 223 that will function now I need to find some accuracy.
the nosler 60 grain varmint bullets where on sale last year for .09 ea shipped. I hesitated and was only able to get 200 of the 500 I ordered...I might try the nosler 69s also have not used them yet.

Last edited:
I'm definitely looking forward to the MM match and the associated the puzzy gun / pizzasheit comments.
you don't even have the NM sights WTF! I might even tell franco im using the "big" hole on my rear sights..

To get in the spirit for the upcoming puzzy gun match, here's my rapid prone from yesterday

https://youtu.be/PuDuhhQZX0s

LOL, like the [thumbsup] at end of video.

Don't listen to Mac about the cast .223 made from range scrap, recycled primers, and powder he made from a visit to a guano cave. I heard Nosler has a line they built just for him, an engineering staff on call to make adjustments to projectiles, and a plane to make deliveries to Hanson via parachute. Hodgdon checks dimensions for each grain of powder via micrometer and the chemistry via laser spectroscopy before they ship each pound to him in a Yeti cooler.

Ok, just slinging shit because he probably could shoot the guano loads better than me...

I see a stainless barrel on that puzzy gun, DW. If I bring mine, it will have a scope on it. Might bring the .308 M1- just shot the target below.

IMG_0742.jpg

Last edited:
LOL, like the [thumbsup] at end of video.

Don't listen to Mac about the cast .223 made from range scrap, recycled primers, and powder he made from a visit to a guano cave. I heard Nosler has a line they built just for him, an engineering staff on call to make adjustments to projectiles, and a plane to make deliveries to Hanson via parachute. Hodgdon checks dimensions for each grain of powder via micrometer and the chemistry via laser spectroscopy before they ship each pound to him in a Yeti cooler.

Ok, just slinging shit because he probably could shoot the guano loads better than me...

I see a stainless barrel on that puzzy gun, DW. If I bring mine, it will have a scope on it. Might bring the .308 M1- just shot the target below.

View attachment 205469

If I had the 308 finish reamer there would have been a possibility of s 308 M1 for me. Barrel should be here Tuesday. Reamer is expected deliver 9/12[frown] email notice says it ships from manufacture.

I sold off all my flat top AR uppers long ago. I would use my TAC sol 22lr upper but would be DQ'd for free float.

Recycling primers...if I could!!!

In all seriousness thank Christopher for nosler deals!!!

Last edited:
If I had the 308 finish reamer there would have been a possibility of s 308 M1 for me. Barrel should be here Tuesday. Reamer is expected deliver 9/12[frown] email notice says it ships from manufacture.

I sold off all my flat top AR uppers long ago. I would use my TAC sol 22lr upper but would be DQ'd for free float.

Recycling primers...if I could!!!

You're probably searching the internet right now, looking for how to recycle primers... lol.

As usual, I messed up a good group with the .308. There's a 4-shot group looks pretty close to moa, then the 5th shot at ~11:00 10-ring. First two shots very close together as well, those were from a different sight adjustment. The trigger on the .308 needs more work- pull is still a little stout. I can always remove more material- a little tougher to put it back. Anyway, it's now shooting good enough to win a match- excepting me shooting it.

If I shoot .223 at the MM, it will be with bulk Noslers bought on sale.

Shot a .284" group with the 6.5 Creedmoor AR when testing loads at 100 yards today. All loads were sub MOA, but many just barely and not as good as Winchester factory match. 6.5 CM going to Granby next Saturday for the long range orientation.

You're probably searching the internet right now, looking for how to recycle primers... lol.

As usual, I messed up a good group with the .308. There's a 4-shot group looks pretty close to moa, then the 5th shot at ~11:00 10-ring. First two shots very close together as well, those were from a different sight adjustment. The trigger on the .308 needs more work- pull is still a little stout. I can always remove more material- a little tougher to put it back. Anyway, it's now shooting good enough to win a match- excepting me shooting it.

If I shoot .223 at the MM, it will be with bulk Noslers bought on sale.

Shot a .284" group with the 6.5 Creedmoor AR when testing loads at 100 yards today. All loads were sub MOA, but many just barely and not as good as Winchester factory match. 6.5 CM going to Granby next Saturday for the long range orientation.

Already search the inter web years ago for rebuilding primers....

As for your trigger. My best trigger breaks at a nice 4lbs 12oz per my fish scale..I mean trigger pull gauge. Although it's not the best feeling trigger.
My JCG rifle trigger is closer to 5#s but I like how it feels. I basically swapped all parts I had on hand until I found the parts with the least amount of play. I then slightly polished all contact surface that showed any contact wear of the phosphate finish.
Did the light polish/file of the hooks out lined in the files of interest. Honestly though the trigger weight does not go down much. You would have to play with the sear engagement angles a bit more.
I forget the figures but my "match" trigger has about 4+lbs on the 1st stage then a short 1.5+lb 2nd stage

Come on folks get out there. !
Im a bit disappointed in the lack of modern military turn out. You see so many ARs on the benches...but god forbid they have to shoot them like they where ment to be.

Last edited:
So I was running around like crazy thinking the match is next Sunday. Well at least I got the loading done.
For modern I'm running the 60 grain nosler varmints with 24 grains of 844... it's done well in the past.
For the JCG as issued I have 2 loads ready.
My standard nosler 155s with 45ish grains of Varget
Or 110 grain nosler varmint tip with 48 grains of H4895? Hmmm

Come on folks get out there. !
Im a bit disappointed in the lack of modern military turn out. You see so many ARs on the benches...but god forbid they have to shoot them like they where ment to be.

What are the restrictions? My only AR upper is a 1" bull barrel "varmint" from White Oak. It's minute-of-gnats-ass but it bears no resemblence to M16/M4 barrel profile. It's also got a pretty strong optic sitting on top.

It's not MM legal but you could always shoot out of competition?

5.2.2 General Rules for Modern Military RiflesSemi-automatic military rifles of U. S. or foreign manufacture or commercialrifles of the same type and caliber or commercial variations of military-typerifles may be fired. There are two categories of Modern Military Rifles. Thematch program must specify whether a Modern Military Rifle event is forClass A and/or Class B rifles or for Classes A and B rifles combined. AllModern Military Rifles must comply with the following general requirements:

a) The exterior configuration of the rifle must be the similar to that of theoriginal military or military-type rifle;
b) The trigger pull may not be less than 4.5 lbs;
c) Rifles must be standard production or as-issued rifles with no specialaccurizing or match conditioning;
d) The rifle may have an optical sight (reflective sights are consideredoptical sights) with a maximum power of 4.5X installed on the receiver.Variable scopes with a maximum of 4.5X are permitted. Onlycommercially manufactured scopes that were produced with amaximum magnification of 4.5X and have a maximum objective lensdiameter of 34 mm may be used. If an optical sight is used, the sameoptical sight configuration must be used in all stages of a course of fire(changing sights or sight mount configurations is not permitted). Thecenterline of an optical sight shall be no higher than 3.5 inches abovethe centerline of the bore;
e) Alternatively, the rifle may be equipped with issue-type metallic frontand rear sights. Metallic sights, if used, must have an M16 type sightdesign with the rear sight in the carry handle and the front sight instandard M16 location;
f) Butt-stocks may vary in length and be either fixed or adjustable.Adjustable length stocks are permitted, but butt stocks that allow forother adjustments such as the cheek-piece height or butt-plate locationmay not be used; and
g) Magazines may have a capacity of no more than 30 rounds. Magazinesmay not be used to support the rifle in a firing position where themagazine rests on the ground or arm.

5.2.3 U.S. Modern Sporting Rifles, Class ACategory A Modern Sporting Rifles must comply with these additionalrequirements:

a) Rifles based on the M-16 or AR design and manufactured by a USAmanufacturer must be used;42
b) Total rifle weight, with sights and without sling, may not exceed 8.5pounds;
c) No special accurizing is permitted except that a non-adjustable slingswivel may be attached to the forward end of the handguard; and
d) The rifle must be chambered for the 5.56x45 mm or .223 Remingtoncartridge.

Forgot I have some new Creedmoor .30-06 - the version w/ Lapua brass and projectiles. Might shoot some of that instead of the HXP so that I have some more of my favorite brass to reload and will have 3 full sets of it for later matches.

Forgot I have some new Creedmoor .30-06 - the version w/ Lapua brass and projectiles. Might shoot some of that instead of the HXP so that I have some more of my favorite brass to reload and will have 3 full sets of it for later matches.
The creedmoor match is still a good deal from the CMP $1.35 per round shipped they also have a "blackhills" style of reman ammo with LC brass and hornady 168 match bullet. Not so much a deal IMHO
The lapua 167 grain match bullet runs about .40-.50 cents each depending where you buy and the brass runs .80+ ea.
Im not sure how much better the lapua will shoot out of a garand vs a nosler or sierra match bullet ?
Still great brass though. I have some lapua 54r.

I might run the 110gn Varmagedon's with 49 grains of varget and 1972 HXP in the M1 match? I will pop off 2 sighters and see from there?

leiEYlO.jpg

[crying] [banghead]

Ugh...

I have to leave for China on the 10th, so no match for me. I'll be back in time for Vermont.

Made it to the range on Friday and did the two cartridge twist method a few times without any problems, going to give that a try tomorrow instead of bumming a two round clip.

Wanted to do another postal match entry but it was too crowded unfortunately.

Another fine day....
Some nice scores recorded also.
Next match 10/15 garand and Vintage.
I will be shooting the crusty Arisaka.

IIRC today's scores
M1 Garand As Issued
Gold 297/300 9X
Silver 277/300/5X
Bronze 273/300/?X
Modern Military ..today was a mix of ARs,M1a , 308 M1 garands..
Gold 289/300/6X
Silver 285/300/7x < ?x count
Bronze 274?/300

Nice weather and nice shooting...
Next match is Oct 15

Last edited:
278 in MM for Bronze.

I think Silver was 287

Nice shooting today in MM Mac, 289, wow.
Thanks, a great day for me. I actual got some sleep last night and that's huge.
I pulled some off hand scores out of my ass today.... I hate thinking about matches like today. If only we had pits the slow prone would have most likely been better....I could not see my impacts.

some pretty good scores all around....noticed a few "new" rifles for some shooters... Still fun.
The Arisaka is going to test me for sure next month unless it gets voted out by then

Last edited:
Yes, good day. New highest score and no misses, can't complain. Offhand score keeps creeping up.

JUST A NOTE
SLINGS: Rule 3.6.1 you can have then attached or not in off hand
rule 3.6.6 allows the use of the M1907 or web sling on foreign military rifles

Back
Top Bottom