CMP M1 Garand and Mondern Military is next 11/05/2017 @ OCSA pembroke ma

I've been slacking on staying ahead of reloading; last season I banged out enough ammo during the winter to last until july/august

Tonight I loaded up my Garand rounds, thankfully I had enough 1903 done already. Unsure if it was the humidity but my powder drop wasn't very consistent. Ended up weighing out each one.
I have not been to picky about powder drop....If I start shooting more again and can get back down to skills in the 2 moa range I "might" get more picky. For me 44.5-46 grains of varget will do just fine. My hornady powder drop is pretty good and my basement is sort of consistent in temp and humidity. Today I grabbed the powder measure hit the handle a few times into a pan weighed it and it came up with 91.2 grains on the scale... then measured one pull 45.4 then another 45.6 then another 45.3 then 45.6 ....Good enough for me.

Mine's usually pretty consistent once it gets going; just a cheapy plastic Lee drop.
Along with the hornady
I,have a lee auto prime and the new auto drum both work fine for my needs honestly I don't think it matters much until you get into long range and super tight groups.

Nice match Today
IIRC Todd with a club rifle took the Gold in Garand Match with a 273 ? With a miss on the board to boot.....nice shooting.

I took the gold in the springfield match with my puzzzy loads 270....

only 3 matches left.....

Yep, good time!

Big mistake in each of the two matches blew any chances of getting a medal. Springfield could have been nice, was in the hunt with the 99-3x but blew the rapids and left one in the bank. 84 in awfhand not my best but ok for me and would not have hurt me too much except for the rabid rapids. All good and a lot of fun.

Now that I have time, I may play around with a light load for the '03.

Don't know if it's just my eyes today or I was not focusing correctly, but damn that skinny front blade on the '03 is getting more fuzzy. Also a couple times I was seeing a double rear aperture- not sure what's up with that. Guess I'm not getting any younger. Rapids was a FUBAR for me, so that might have something to do with it. Need to make a few more dummy rounds and practice practice practice. The rifle definitely shoots better than I do.

Perfect weather. My scores in all three segments increased, so I am happy with that.
Nice to be in the nineties in prone.

Still gotta improve that offhand.
For the first time, my slow-fire prone outscored my rapids.

Perfect weather. My scores in all three segments increased, so I am happy with that.
Nice to be in the nineties in prone.

Still gotta improve that offhand.
For the first time, my slow-fire prone outscored my rapids.

Making progress is good! Congrats on improvement in all three segments. Wish I could say the same!

It's fun to complete against each other for little trinkets but to me this is still a game against yourself. When I first started I had no idea what I was doing but my scores gradually improved. My next goal is to shoot a 280+ - shot a 276 at Butner and a 275 today, so with a little more improvement it's a possibility.

It's not so much the trinkets as being able to reach a level where you have the chance to compete with some very good shooters. Note I used the word 'with' and not 'against'. It's a pretty positive environment- everyone is pretty happy to see others do well, or at least improve over time.

The camaraderie really makes it an enjoyable way to spend a day.

Good time today

Garand:
Franco 287 Gold
Derek 275 Silver
Todd 268? Bronze

Mac 270 Gold
Franco and David tied for 2nd place - even down to the X count and flipped a coin
David ended up with Silvet
Franco took Bronze

JFC where was I and what did I hear happen! I,thought Todd got the gold and Franco tanked in M1 for some reason? WTF.
As for competition I will say it's fun to get trinkets and be the best score at the moment but I do it to beat myself. I like to try and challenge myself. One reason I shoot cast. For me when I take a wheel weight and fling it down range at 14-1500 fps and the most expensive d part of my load is a 3 cent primer I feel good to hit the ten ring as much as I can do with a "match" bullet costing more than my completed rounds. It's just fun. If I was really trying to beat other shooters I would not waste my time with cast bullets and would practice more.

Yep, good time!

Big mistake in each of the two matches blew any chances of getting a medal. Springfield could have been nice, was in the hunt with the 99-3x but blew the rapids and left one in the bank. 84 in awfhand not my best but ok for me and would not have hurt me too much except for the rabid rapids. All good and a lot of fun.

Now that I have time, I may play around with a light load for the '03.

Don't know if it's just my eyes today or I was not focusing correctly, but damn that skinny front blade on the '03 is getting more fuzzy. Also a couple times I was seeing a double rear aperture- not sure what's up with that. Guess I'm not getting any younger. Rapids was a FUBAR for me, so that might have something to do with it. Need to make a few more dummy rounds and practice practice practice. The rifle definitely shoots better than I do.

Basically what happened to me when my eyes started to go. First they get fatigued easy and then slowly you just can't focus.
I don't have a strong Rx in my glasses for shooting but it's enough to let me see the front sight clearly and my eyes don't get as tired.
As for the spaghetti blade of the 1903....get the .100" USMC front blade huge difference. I need to order some more in different heights before Bill bentz stops producing them.

It's fun to complete against each other for little trinkets but to me this is still a game against yourself. When I first started I had no idea what I was doing but my scores gradually improved. My next goal is to shoot a 280+ - shot a 276 at Butner and a 275 today, so with a little more improvement it's a possibility.
Yes, at the end of the day for me it's all about how I fared against myself and my goals. I am trying to set one or two each match (this time it was hit 90+ in slow fire prone and generally improve my offhand score). That and it's just fun to get slung up and go prone, etc. I guess part of the enjoyment for me is the ritual of it all...

It's not so much the trinkets as being able to reach a level where you have the chance to compete with some very good shooters. Note I used the word 'with' and not 'against'. It's a pretty positive environment- everyone is pretty happy to see others do well, or at least improve over time.

The camaraderie really makes it an enjoyable way to spend a day.
It's nice to be able to discuss stuff with people in person, common interests...at my club it's 95% people shooting ARs from a bench, which isn't my thing. I am genuinely happy when we go down to check the targets and I see someone's got a great score. If we had another person or two I would have pulled targets on the Springfield match, at least 1-4 anyway.

I'm hoping to make the Sept. match but I am about 95% sure the October match is a no-go for me.

Yes, at the end of the day for me it's all about how I fared against myself and my goals. I am trying to set one or two each match (this time it was hit 90+ in slow fire prone and generally improve my offhand score). That and it's just fun to get slung up and go prone, etc. I guess part of the enjoyment for me is the ritual of it all...

It's nice to be able to discuss stuff with people in person, common interests...at my club it's 95% people shooting ARs from a bench, which isn't my thing. I am genuinely happy when we go down to check the targets and I see someone's got a great score. If we had another person or two I would have pulled targets on the Springfield match, at least 1-4 anyway.

I'm hoping to make the Sept. match but I am about 95% sure the October match is a no-go for me.

Nice to have eager score keepers.
It's funny everyone wants to see everyone shoot well. Often though it's not how well someone shoots but who is going to make some mistakes. That's where your points really fall off.
Guns and ammo only take you so far. I could take my match gun I have now and shoot it 10-12 years ago and be lucky to shoot in the 80% range in prone and sitting and low 70% off hand.
I set small goals. Like keeping them in the black for slow prone. That's 6 moa ! Not to many rifles can't do that... not hard and not easy but as you see when you go to matches it's not that easy.
Then I work on things like rhythm in rapids. CMP Games you have a long time to get 10 rounds off.
Breath focus take a shot. I tend to rush. This week was good. I slowed down I finished with about 10 seconds left. I am usually a lot faster. Off hand I have no real advice. Unless I practice a lot im stuck fighting for mid 80s scores. Stance , natural point of aim and don't take to long holding the gun up. Reset if you find yourself struggling.

Last edited:
It's funny everyone wants to see everyone shoot well. Often though it's not how well someone shoots but who is going to make some mistakes. That's where your points really fall off.
Guns and ammo only take you so far. I could take my match gun I have now and shoot it 10-12 years ago and be lucky to shoot in the 80% range in prone and sitting and low 70% off hand.
I set small goals. Like keeping them in the black for slow prone. That's 6 moa ! Not to many rifles can't do that... not hard and not easy but as you see when you go to matches it's not that easy.
Then I work on things like rhythm in rapids. CMP Games you have a long time to get 10 rounds off.
Breath focus take a shot. I tend to rush. This week was good. I slowed down I finished with about 10 seconds left. I am usually a lot faster. Off hand I have no real advice. Unless I practice a lot im stuck fighting for mid 80s scores. Stance , natural point of aim and don't take to long holding the gun up. Reset if you find yourself struggling.

Small mistakes matter, and sometimes not what you expect...

Like forgetting a sweatshirt for under the shooting jacket. Did it really affect my shooting? Maybe, maybe not. What it did do was force me to pull someone's hot case that flew into the open gap in the arm (open zipper to more easily bend arm). Combination of taking time to do that plus a little fumbling with the stripper clip & I had a saved round in rapids. If I had practiced stripper clip reloads and did not forget my sweatshirt I would have had plenty of time.

Small mistakes matter, and sometimes not what you expect...

Like forgetting a sweatshirt for under the shooting jacket. Did it really affect my shooting? Maybe, maybe not. What it did do was force me to pull someone's hot case that flew into the open gap in the arm (open zipper to more easily bend arm). Combination of taking time to do that plus a little fumbling with the stripper clip & I had a saved round in rapids. If I had practiced stripper clip reloads and did not forget my sweatshirt I would have had plenty of time.
I saw that happen from the stool and had the typical "oooh" reaction face when you see someone encounter pain. As a lefty I often get to enjoy flying brass.
I was hoping to have all in the black on slow prones but I had one in the seven ring. The rest were all 9 or 10, my five sighters were in the black so go figure the one outside the black was for score.

For offhand I think I'll just practice holding it in stance dryfiring. I noticed Franco and some others reverse the support hand from how I hold it. I did try it once in the match for kicks and I think I hit an 8. I'm guessing it's a matter of what you are comfortable with? I'm trying to think of the best rifle to practice offhand with that's a.) got iron sights, and b.) is heavy like a Garand, without burning through 30-06. I don't think I have a solution though. Dry fire probably more important though.

In hindsight, maybe I'll blame the HXP flyer on the 7! [wink]

I thought about bringing reloads but I am worried I'll need to make too much of an adjustment, although I will have those sighters. I was thinking 45 grains of Varget under 168gr projectile. I'll need to figure it out eventually because my supply of HXP is finite.

Last edited:
I saw that happen from the stool and had the typical "oooh" reaction face when you see someone encounter pain. As a lefty I often get to enjoy flying brass.
I was hoping to have all in the black on slow prones but I had one in the seven ring. The rest were all 9 or 10, my five sighters were in the black so go figure the one outside the black was for score.

For offhand I think I'll just practice holding it in stance dryfiring. I noticed Franco and some others reverse the support hand from how I hold it. I did try it once in the match for kicks and I think I hit an 8. I'm guessing it's a matter of what you are comfortable with? I'm trying to think of the best rifle to practice offhand with that's a.) got iron sights, and b.) is heavy like a Garand, without burning through 30-06. I don't think I have a solution though. Dry fire probably more important though.

In hindsight, maybe I'll blame the HXP flyer on the 7! [wink]

I thought about bringing reloads but I am worried I'll need to make too much of an adjustment, although I will have those sighters. I was thinking 45 grains of Varget under 168gr projectile. I'll need to figure it out eventually because my supply of HXP is finite.

Any practice is good. I use a daisy 853 around the house of the 513t at the club.
If you want to practice with a weighted gun to work your muscles stick on wheel weights can add weight quickly.
The M1 and HXP all seem to have flyers waiting to come out shooting for score.
Heck even in the US weapons over haul manual they tell you to shoot 3 shots before the 5 shot accuracy and targetting test.
Practice With any rifle thats some where between 1-4 moa will be good enough to show when your fundamentals are off it will show it's face.
Call your shots. Write them down. Eventually the calls and score will get closer together...

Last edited:
Next Match 10 Sept; Garand and Modern Military. Bring out your M14s and plain jane ARs.
M1 counts for modern mil, too, correct?

If so, I might run it again (after M1 match) over AK, and my AR is not plain Jane. The SKS was an experiment not worth repeating for a while.

Next Match 10 Sept; Garand and Modern Military. Bring out your M14s and plain jane ARs.

Think I will piss anyone off if I come with an optic? It's legal now...

I get optics for high power. I don't get it for CMP Modern Military.

Question for anyone: .308 Garand OK for MM?

Think I will piss anyone off if I come with an optic? It's legal now...

I get optics for high power. I don't get it for CMP Modern Military.

Question for anyone: .308 Garand OK for MM?

308 is gtg for MM. Optics are fine. Go ahead put that puzzy scope on your puzzy rifle...
I can't see why a M1 in any flavor can't be run in MM. I don't have any other options worthy of bringing out other than my. Straight A2

LOL, pussy scope on my pussy match upper won't leave the x-ring unless I blow the shot. No idea on the MM A2-ish upper. Last I shot the MM AR, I got a 98-1x on prone, which is OK for first time shooting it in a match. Kinda botched rapids as usual and a so-so awfhand for a 262.

Have a few minutes before hitting the rack- will reassemble the .308 and see how much progress I have made on the trigger pull.

LOL, pussy scope on my pussy match upper won't leave the x-ring unless I blow the shot. No idea on the MM A2-ish upper. Last I shot the MM AR, I got a 98-1x on prone, which is OK for first time shooting it in a match. Kinda botched rapids as usual and a so-so awfhand for a 262.

Have a few minutes before hitting the rack- will reassemble the .308 and see how much progress I have made on the trigger pull.

Still a Fk'N puzzy gun....lol
I'm going to bring the pink rascal one day and really set him off...I just need a sight set up with enough to get me out to 200.

Still a Fk'N puzzy gun....lol
I'm going to bring the pink rascal one day and really set him off...I just need a sight set up with enough to get me out to 200.

Can I be there when somebody breaks out this to compete in MM?

kittyrifle.jpg

I'm reading through 5.2.2, General Rules for Modern Military Rifles, and I see e.) "Metallic sights, if used, must have an M16 type sightdesign with the rear sight in the carry handle and the front sight instandard M16 location" - am I correct in assuming I can run a red dot without meeting this requirement? Reading though 5.2.3 I don't see why my AR wouldn't qualify other than it has a flip-up rear sight with a red dot instead of the carry handle.

I'm reading through 5.2.2, General Rules for Modern Military Rifles, and I see e.) "Metallic sights, if used, must have an M16 type sightdesign with the rear sight in the carry handle and the front sight instandard M16 location" - am I correct in assuming I can run a red dot without meeting this requirement? Reading though 5.2.3 I don't see why my AR wouldn't qualify other than it has a flip-up rear sight with a red dot instead of the carry handle.

Optics must be 4.5x magnification or less. Red dot should be GTG. New rules were adopted to accommodate a wider range of shooters- so looks like that plan works in your case.

Optics must be 4.5x magnification or less. Red dot should be GTG. New rules were adopted to accommodate a wider range of shooters- so looks like that plan works in your case.
Assuming I can even make it, that might be the choice if M1 is out. I guarantee I would shoot the M1 better, which isn't saying much.

I don't know if I am up to the task of running the AK with questionable sling setup and the tangent sight.

Come on 9/10 next match M1 garand and Modern Military

Next up 9/10
Garand and Modern Military
Come on you AR owners sling up and shoot.
CMP created the modern class for you AR guys!
Come see what your M4 and optics can do.

Back
Top Bottom