CMP M1 Garand and Mondern Military is next 11/05/2017 @ OCSA pembroke ma

So at 99/100, the 1903 shot fine but I was scratching my head over only 1X. Figured out the culprit last night- front sight was loose, very loose & wiggling around. Base has a lot of play and the screw is mangled a bit so I really can't torque it down that much. Didn't notice it because I have been using the USMC cover as a sight hood. Live and learn. Ordered a repro USMC front sight blade and a NOS base, screws, and pins. Also a replacement rear slide so I can drill out the peep to my liking and bank the original. If the new base is a little loose, I can peen it to fit.

What is it with American Milsurps getting their screws all mangled? I don't see that as much on the Euro stuff unless it's been in the US a long time.

No idea what I'll bring to the next OCSA match. .308 Garand? Maybe have the M14 done? AR as usual? I need one of those Hello Kitty stickers for the AR, to make it an official 'pussy' gun, of course...

Can I be there when somebody breaks out this to compete in MM?

kittyrifle.jpg

being one I will shoot it!

- - - Updated - - -

So at 99/100, the 1903 shot fine but I was scratching my head over only 1X. Figured out the culprit last night- front sight was loose, very loose & wiggling around. Base has a lot of play and the screw is mangled a bit so I really can't torque it down that much. Didn't notice it because I have been using the USMC cover as a sight hood. Live and learn. Ordered a repro USMC front sight blade and a NOS base, screws, and pins. Also a replacement rear slide so I can drill out the peep to my liking and bank the original. If the new base is a little loose, I can peen it to fit.

What is it with American Milsurps getting their screws all mangled? I don't see that as much on the Euro stuff unless it's been in the US a long time.

No idea what I'll bring to the next OCSA match. .308 Garand? Maybe have the M14 done? AR as usual? I need one of those Hello Kitty stickers for the AR, to make it an official 'pussy' gun, of course...

im going to gander a lot more of the 1903s and M1s stayed in action after WWII vs the loosing sides.

Only 2 matches left .....let's see what those newly acquired M1s and Vintage rifles can do.

See post 1. For links to flyers.

The FedEx man will be bringing me a present today.
Posted elsewhere, I bought the $830 RM1SPECIALFIELD in .30-06.

Any pointers before bringing it to the range? I've seen that CMP rifles are often (always?) delivered "dry as a bone."
Obviously I'll be tearing it down, checking stock lockup (thanks for the videos!) and checking other videos.
And taking pictures.

The FedEx man will be bringing me a present today.
Posted elsewhere, I bought the $830 RM1SPECIALFIELD in .30-06.

Any pointers before bringing it to the range? I've seen that CMP rifles are often (always?) delivered "dry as a bone."
Obviously I'll be tearing it down, checking stock lockup (thanks for the videos!) and checking other videos.
And taking pictures.

http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/detailstrip.html
I think the cmp are coming "dry" because they are using a rust inhibitor thats basically a dry film and anything but lube.
this is the best thing you can do...then just make sure all the screws and such are snug. Front sight is often shipped with the hex bolt not very tight. Rear sights reported to be assembled incorrectly and or loose.
Inspect all your springs closely. You dont need any special tools for a detail strip. A bullet tip and a screw driver should get you there. I use a 1/4 drive extension on a sliding T handle to loosen and tighten gas lock screw.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new M1

The CMP ships these pretty dry, or with minimal grease

Here's a good guide on what to grease : http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-grease

Do as much as you feel comfortable with, but make sure to get the bolt, op rod, receiver tracks and bottom of the barrel area

Your stock will be new and have good lockup. Maybe Mac will comment on what to do with the new Stocks, there are a few areas that need to be relieved. Off the top of my head there's a little notch at the end of the stock that needs to be relived for the firing pin.

all i can say is search my started threads all the info is in there some where...im to tired and busy to repost links.
also CMP forums HOW TO section go to files of interest and down load them all......full of great stuff
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=3246

google
Gus Fischer
CMP forums members that post good info
Orlando, lapriester, cereco, chuck in denver just ti name the few that come to mind.

Last edited:
Congrats regarding the Garand! Pics are mandatory... [grin]

Rear sight clicks should require a pretty good grip to make them move. Mine came loose in my first match shot with the Special, which of course prompted some colorful comments about CMP from our favorite RSO.

Peeeezza shet!

Congratulations on getting your dick wet with a CMP Garand!

I dunno, Mac...your little community is growing here...might be time for you and Ed to start your own forum for the five of us that consistently post in the CMP threads...lol.

Hey, have any of you guys been to the South store? How far away is it from the marksmanship park...I know Anniston and Talladega are close together, but now sure HOW close. Gonna TRY to convince my gf to let me go when we're in Augusta, GA next week visiting her family. Time to meet the parents after 2 years of banging their daughter and living together :D

Peeeezza shet!

I dunno, Mac...your little community is growing here...might be time for you and Ed to start your own forum for the five of us that consistently post in the CMP threads...lol.

Hey, have any of you guys been to the South store? How far away is it from the marksmanship park...I know Anniston and Talladega are close together, but now sure HOW close. Gonna TRY to convince my gf to let me go when we're in Augusta, GA next week visiting her family. Time to meet the parents after 2 years of banging their daughter and living together :D

"Like a screen door in a hurricane" is probably NOT a phrase you should use with her dad.

Just sayin.

Peeeezza shet!

I speak Southern. Call or text for translation if you need it. [smile] For example: If you get a "Well, bless your heart!", depending upon the inflection it means they think you are an idiot. And remember, unlike Yankees they'll still be polite and play nice even if they don't like you. Another head's up: If you visit their church, don't ask where the bar is (they don't have one). At least cake and punch receptions after a mid-day wedding doesn't cost much. LOL...

Peeeezza shet!

just tell her your going out for cigarettes.... that can take 4-6 hours down there i hear.

Not mine, just giving you crap... [laugh]

I can take it :D
Might take a trip to CMP south store to cheer me up though [rofl]

So i'll assume none of you guys have been there because no one responded, but I think a few of you have been to the one at Camp Perry. How does it work if you buy anything there...do you just use your CMP customer number? Can I lube it up and take it to the marksmanship park right then? What happens if you get delayed from NICS? Will they ship it home for you so you don't have to drive through enemy territory with it (or have the liability of having to have it in your trunk the whole time as FOPA would require).

I tried calling the store and the marksmanship park yesterday...2 times each. Each time my call was dropped or I was redirected back to the main menu or a voicemail of someone that has yet to return my call...kinda frustrating to say the least.

I'm selling an M39 today to a gentleman...and I still gotta have my roommate square up with me for the Springfield he's had on 'loan to own'...so I might just be able to rub some nickles together if I find something I like (if I even get to go to Anniston.)

I know...maybe I'll stage a fight with the GF...and I'll storm out and disappear for the day to 'cool off' :D

Hahahah...I was wondering if you were EVER going to post.

My roommate lurks on the forum, and in the room in the front of the house. He keeps tabs on me here to see if I'm talking shit about him apparently.

- - - Updated - - -

And where the hell did you post 5 other times and I never saw it? NES is like my second job.

You guys that go to the OCSA matches know him as the guy that beat me every match so far.

Oh, wait...that last part describes all of you :/

Last edited:
They have you fill out the same order form you mail in. I think they might hit you for whatever the sales tax is there too.

Last year in Vermont there were a number of guys who bought Garands there and shot them in the comp - so it's possible.

I bought a win-13 from there last year when I was passing through for work. You just fill out the regular paperwork, they look up your information, and you can either take the rifle then or they'll ship it to you for free. No sales tax if you're from out of state, so it's just like mail ordering one basically. I had mine shipped since I was flying out that day and was already cutting it close with time, and it showed up a few days later.

I can take it :D
Might take a trip to CMP south store to cheer me up though [rofl]

So i'll assume none of you guys have been there because no one responded, but I think a few of you have been to the one at Camp Perry. How does it work if you buy anything there...do you just use your CMP customer number? Can I lube it up and take it to the marksmanship park right then? What happens if you get delayed from NICS? Will they ship it home for you so you don't have to drive through enemy territory with it (or have the liability of having to have it in your trunk the whole time as FOPA would require).

I tried calling the store and the marksmanship park yesterday...2 times each. Each time my call was dropped or I was redirected back to the main menu or a voicemail of someone that has yet to return my call...kinda frustrating to say the least.

I'm selling an M39 today to a gentleman...and I still gotta have my roommate square up with me for the Springfield he's had on 'loan to own'...so I might just be able to rub some nickles together if I find something I like (if I even get to go to Anniston.)

I know...maybe I'll stage a fight with the GF...and I'll storm out and disappear for the day to 'cool off' :D

take up golf for a day... and go to the sout store.
You can have it mailed home. You can or at least used to ask then to ship on a certain date so your home when it gets there.
I have tried many times to find the time for the trip to either stores. although i guess north store is nothing great these days

that thread answered nothing...lol. i want my 5 minutes of life back.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought a win-13 from there last year when I was passing through for work. You just fill out the regular paperwork, they look up your information, and you can either take the rifle then or they'll ship it to you for free. No sales tax if you're from out of state, so it's just like mail ordering one basically. I had mine shipped since I was flying out that day and was already cutting it close with time, and it showed up a few days later.

yeah, yeah...you've already rubbed it in about the Win-13 :D

long time no see, dude...coming up anytime soon to forget some whisky at my house?

Maybe the Anniston store does things a little differently but at Camp Perry, they never asked to see a plane ticket, etc when I asked them to ship it. And they definitely didn't charge me sales tax/shipping. Here's the invoice that they posted to the estore.

PAl3p7a.png

i think there is some tax excemption if its being shipped out of state. Im guessing theres nothing at cmp to really single out the point of sale unless you want to walk out the front door with the items. I know one guy who went to the south store to hand pick a few rifles then drove home with them....he did pay sales tax i think it was 4%?

Maybe the Anniston store does things a little differently but at Camp Perry, they never asked to see a plane ticket, etc when I asked them to ship it. And they definitely didn't charge me sales tax/shipping. Here's the invoice that they posted to the estore.
PAl3p7a

PAl3p7a.png

AWESOME...an ACTUAL answer to my question. Except, you forgot to leave your CMP customer number attached ;) That could come in handy.

i think there is some tax excemption if its being shipped out of state. Im guessing theres nothing at cmp to really single out the point of sale unless you want to walk out the front door with the items. I know one guy who went to the south store to hand pick a few rifles then drove home with them....he did pay sales tax i think it was 4%?

maybe i'll do this...take my 'match' (1944 Springfield i use at Old Colony) with me so I can shoot at the Talladega Marksmanship Park (Disney World for Garandtard window lickers) if I can get away for a day...and if I end up finding something cool down there I'll have them ship it back so I don't pay sales tax. I'll just read up on FOPA before I leave...and try and get a yay or nay on my ability to attend prior to departure so I don't get any funny looks from the gf about the rifle case.

Back
Top Bottom