• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP M1 Garand and Mondern Military is next 11/05/2017 @ OCSA pembroke ma

Looks like I'm 'out' for the October match. Gotta go to Niagara Falls for visits to our two plants with a VIP Japanese customer who's also a friend. Rather be shooting, but I'll have some good company and awesome meals.

So November is a yes. I'll bring the he-man Modern Military (M14, not poo-say AR15) and the .308 Garand if I can sort out the clip latch issue.

Looks like I'm 'out' for the October match. Gotta go to Niagara Falls for visits to our two plants with a VIP Japanese customer who's also a friend. Rather be shooting, but I'll have some good company and awesome meals.

So November is a yes. I'll bring the he-man Modern Military (M14, not poo-say AR15) and the .308 Garand if I can sort out the clip latch issue.

Check the clip latch cut out on the stock look to see if your clip latch is contacting the wood. It might just look a little glossy from contact.

I definitely can't make November but it's looking a little more positive for October. If I can make it, I think I'll run the Enfield in Vintage. I have some concerns about completing rapids in time due to the finicky magazine though, and I don't have any .303 stripper clips.

Check the clip latch cut out on the stock look to see if your clip latch is contacting the wood. It might just look a little glossy from contact.

That's a great suggestion. It's a 'new' Italian Terni 'MT' stock and I lack the experienced eye to have spotted it ahead of time. It will piss me off a little to have botched a good rapid string over something so simple, but let's see...

I definitely can't make November but it's looking a little more positive for October. If I can make it, I think I'll run the Enfield in Vintage. I have some concerns about completing rapids in time due to the finicky magazine though, and I don't have any .303 stripper clips.

I have some clips..just remind me.

As the last 2 matches approach I'm getting ready.
I'm most likely going to shoot my 30-06 garand in the garand matches for the last 2 I really would like to end the season with a score 280+
For vintage I'm running the Arisaka type 99 and cast loads. I will be happy if I can hold the black.
No telling what this rifle will do once it gets hot. Also,not the best sights for off hand.
Hope to see a decent turn out.
If we finish up with time to spare I will test out the 10/22-200

dFo0uv9h.jpg

arisaka is all set and ready to go

Now im not sure if I should just use some 30-06 I loaded up at some point (I think I loaded these for the 1903a3) or load up some fresh fodder for the M1. Next year my cmp as issued rifle will get the 110-130 grain load testing ?

- - - Updated - - -

Just a couple weeks out

I may actually have to go out and get some practice in with my Garand. My rapids recently have been horrible relative to the other rifles.

I picked up my M1 at least 4 times since the last match, is that practice?

You use it to lift weights, you know? Pick up, curl, over head, down, repeat. [smile]

I may have to start doing that with my K98. I physically can't carry it very long without pain. The three hour tactical in VT in 85 degrees last weekend was agony. I have several physical/medical issues contributing to this.

t

WOOHOOOOO!!!

Just found out my drill dates possibly changed for October and I'll be able to come to one more match this year! Definitely time for some vintage military match funzies!

Just a reminder that Dakar652 has been calling anyone over 40 a blind old gomer. I'd appreciate a count of how many senior citizens school this young whippersnapper. [smile]

The company must compensate for me missing the match, so I made reservations at the best restaurant$ I know in the Niagara area.

Just a reminder that Dakar652 has been calling anyone over 40 a blind old gomer. I'd appreciate a count of how many senior citizens school this young whippersnapper. [smile]

The company must compensate for me missing the match, so I made reservations at the best restaurant$ I know in the Niagara area.

Oh really.....old school shenanigans might come into play Sunday.[devil2][devil2]

so one less set of ’old eyes’ I have to worry about breaking a hip on the firing line...they’re dropping like flies!

I’m bringing my ’secret weapon’ for vintage...a K31 from 1934 with a magnetized barrel that charges the projectile as it goes through the rifling and is then only attracted to X’s! I was going to bring the T53 again, but I haven’t had a chance to clean the chamber really good to keep the commie spam can ammo from sticking.

Speaking of the K31 though, I have a question for the seasoned yet notably frail variety of CMP competitors...should I plan to load 6 and then 4 in a stripper clip for rapid or 5 and 5? Please respond before pre-stage dimentia sets in and you forget the question.

so one less set of ’old eyes’ I have to worry about breaking a hip on the firing line...they’re dropping like flies!

I’m bringing my ’secret weapon’ for vintage...a K31 from 1934 with a magnetized barrel that charges the projectile as it goes through the rifling and is then only attracted to X’s! I was going to bring the T53 again, but I haven’t had a chance to clean the chamber really good to keep the commie spam can ammo from sticking.

Speaking of the K31 though, I have a question for the seasoned yet notably frail variety of CMP competitors...should I plan to load 6 and then 4 in a stripper clip for rapid or 5 and 5? Please respond before pre-stage dimentia sets in and you forget the question.

IIRC must be 5 and 5 for the bolt guns. 2 and 8 for the semi.
Are you sure you can use that weird rear sight?
If your loading for the K31 110grain bullets work well in mine and will be in the first vintage match of 2018.

noted on the 110...i'll be working up loads for it over the winter i think. It just came out of a frog lube induced hibernation (it's been gummed up in that garbage for about 3 years)...finally got around to cleaning it out and getting it to the range last week. I think I kept it in the black for the first 5 rounds while there was still enough light to see the SR-1 target (might have had one just over the line in the white, but i can't remember), and 4 of the shots were within 2" of each other with GP-11 (which i'll be using tomorrow as well).

for some reason, I tend to like the K31 sights...i like the very 'positive' clicks and locks for elevation, and I've never had to mess with the windage (although my POI could probably stand to come an inch or two to the left, I don't want to mess with it just yet because of how damn close to perfect for me it is).

i know you're not even there yet, but i really can't wait for the days i can just accurize and mess around with my old rifles and have nothing but time to spend casting and working up loads. i'm finding that I never have time or even desire for my other hobbies at all anymore...pretty much every minute i'm not busy doing something pressing, i'm down in the basement tinkering with something from the safe.

as the last few weeks have gone with selling the girlfriends house (it closes next saturday when i'm on drill at Devens) i'm barely finding time to finish charging the loads for tomorrows match! hell or high water that's happening tonight though after I finish moving the rest of the shit out of her house after work (where I do most/all of my NES posting).

Last edited:
noted on the 110...i'll be working up loads for it over the winter i think. It just came out of a frog lube induced hibernation (it's been gummed up in that garbage for about 3 years)...finally got around to cleaning it out and getting it to the range last week. I think I kept it in the black for the first 5 rounds while there was still enough light to see the SR-1 target (might have had one just over the line in the white, but i can't remember), and 4 of the shots were within 2" of each other with GP-11 (which i'll be using tomorrow as well).

Nothing wrong with GP-11 snagged a gold with it .
The rear notch sight sucks for me and my eyes.

for some reason, I tend to like the K31 sights...i like the very 'positive' clicks and locks for elevation, and I've never had to mess with the windage (although my POI could probably stand to come an inch or two to the left, I don't want to mess with it just yet because of how damn close to perfect for me it is).

i know you're not even there yet, but i really can't wait for the days i can just accurize and mess around with my old rifles and have nothing but time to spend casting and working up loads. i'm finding that I never have time or even desire for my other hobbies at all anymore...pretty much every minute i'm not busy doing something pressing, i'm down in the basement tinkering with something from the safe.

as the last few weeks have gone with selling the girlfriends house (it closes next saturday when i'm on drill at Devens) i'm barely finding time to finish charging the loads for tomorrows match! hell or high water that's happening tonight though after I finish moving the rest of the shit out of her house after work (where I do most/all of my NES posting).

You won't have more time when you get older. You just learn to do less. Also you start to hire people to do shit like move or paying for curbside trash vs dump run. You don't do shit unless you need to.
I have a good amount of free time at home BUT I am home and cant just go to the range.
My range time is a 16min cluster **** on lunch break a few days a month.
I have not had time to cast in for a long while. This is why I will cast a lot in one session.
If the rain gives I might smelt some big chunks of lead I have.
Maybe I will post a video of my lousy practice set up....I'm sure you guys will get a chuckle out of it.

You won't have more time when you get older. You just learn to do less.

i think that one might belong in the 'one liner words of wisdom' thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe I will post a video of my lousy practice set up....I'm sure you guys will get a chuckle out of it.

i seem to remember a video my buddy Pat dug up of you shooting spoons with an air rifle from your kitchen :D

so called practice

so much fun

I shot five shots aiming at top left dot...I forgot to reset my windage from last time I was out side shooting at 50 yards.
So basically groups that fit in the black. I hope to carry this into tomorrow. Although im using aperture match sights on the daisy. The aperture front and rear match sights are "easier" to aim consistently.

ddczQZT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i think that one might belong in the 'one liner words of wisdom' thread.

:D

Yep, very true. Until the last couple years, I did all work on our cars including internal engine work.

Dakar, there's a Happy Meal with your name on it if you can beat 2 guys older than you in the JCG match. [smile]

Hell, I can still work on my engine. I was just adjusting the choke, idle, and mixture for the cooler weather.

t

Attachments

• IMG_3315.jpg
    IMG_3315.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3316.jpg
    IMG_3316.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3317.jpg
    IMG_3317.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3313.jpg