CMP M1 Garand and Mondern Military is next 11/05/2017 @ OCSA pembroke ma

Those are the fuel injection jets 1955 Rochester 4GC on a 318 Pontiac. Good for 227hp.

T

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind that. I thought I saw a mason jar in there somewhere.

That's your vacuum operated windshield washer pump and reservoir.

T

Last edited:
Yep, very true. Until the last couple years, I did all work on our cars including internal engine work.

Dakar, there's a Happy Meal with your name on it if you can beat 2 guys older than you in the JCG match. [smile]

Here's to praying for some fresh shooters tomorrow! I'm going to be asking everyone how old they are.

Hell, I can still work on my engine. I was just adjusting the choke, idle, and mixture for the cooler weather.

t

holy mackerel, Mjr...I ought to hire you to build my 57 Chevy 210 I've been sitting on for the last 5 years! Your Pontiac is about as clean as they come! I would expect nothing less from you, for the record.

Or at the gate maybe? Turn away shooters that look like they’ll score better than me?

”this ID is fake, sir. I’m going to need you to take your rifle apart so I can see if there are any Winchester components I need for my next build.”

holy mackerel, Mjr...I ought to hire you to build my 57 Chevy 210 I've been sitting on for the last 5 years! Your Pontiac is about as clean as they come! I would expect nothing less from you, for the record.

you just need a large sum of cash and your all set! Nice little car Maj has. I like the working under hood light. along with the appropriate decals. do not see that often.

Today was fun...good assortment of rifles for the vintage.
I did not shoot as well as I would have liked with the arisaka type 99.
I'm not sure if it was just me or loads. I will work up more loads over the winter.
Its not often I shoot better in off hand than prone?

Type 99 score
UvwDeyW.jpg

As issued garand those 6s hurt
IuhVwL0.jpg

Last edited:
Thinking of having a little fun next match

So i have several variants of "M1 safe"smokeless powders 1/8 of a pound here 1/4 pound there and such.

Im thinking of running a mixed bag of loads with the various powders.
Think i have 4 powders i just want to use up.

The plan: load up 8 rounds of each powder and get as close to the same velocity per published load data.
I dont know if i will shoot them randomly or in batches ? I also dont know if I will do this with 30-06 or 308?

So i have several variants of "M1 safe"smokeless powders 1/8 of a pound here 1/4 pound there and such.

The plan: load up 8 rounds of each powder and get as close to the same velocity per published load data.
I dont know if i will shoot them randomly or in batches ? I also dont know if I will do this with 30-06 or 308?

You're going to use those for your rounds for the match?

Do you want to borrow some powder mac? I think I have enough where you can make 35 rounds from the same lot :D

1/4 lb should get you 35 rounds plus a couple spares for the match, no?

Gonna take a SWAG and say that any variance would be less for the .308. Less powder pushing the same projectile. Much less case volume, so density of the powder and fill vs. empty space would be less of an issue.

Do you want to borrow some powder mac? I think I have enough where you can make 35 rounds from the same lot :D

I want to have a little fun at the possible expense of my score.
I'm going to run 4 different powders as close to same velocity as I can and see how much of a impact on my score it will have.
I have more than enough powder to load for some time. I have several partial 1lb jugs. Tired of looking at them. Heck I might even use up the random primers sitting in the cup on the bench

The 308 is going to be shot with nosler 168s at around 2600fps with Varget.

Last edited:

I want to have a little fun at the possible expense of my score.
I'm going to run 4 different powders as close to same velocity as I can and see how much of a impact on my score it will have.
I have more than enough powder to load for some time. I have several partial 1lb jugs. Tired of looking at them. Heck I might even use up the random primers sitting in the cup on the bench

The 308 is going to be shot with nosler 168s at around 2600fps with Varget.

Dakar, that's code for Mac is still kicking our ass...

[laugh]

Dakar, that's code for Mac is still kicking our ass...

[laugh]

Come on now you guys get to practice and I give up so many points in off hand.
I managed a silver with a 270 last match.

Honestly the two things that brought my score up is my Rx lens in my shooting glasses and switching to a center hold.

Come on now you guys get to practice and I give up so many points in off hand.
I managed a silver with a 270 last match.

Honestly the two things that brought my score up is my Rx lens in my shooting glasses and switching to a center hold.

I may have to switch to a center hold. Did it take some time to get used to it?

I may have to switch to a center hold. Did it take some time to get used to it?

not at all fell right into it feels more natural to me also( this is how i used to shoot ). I also feel like I get less horizontal shift. You see almost instantly when your front post slides off to the sides.

oh...i still don't expect to beat him :D

i like how he calls it 'having a little fun' but it's more like 'seeing how many ways he can make us feel like turds for losing to him even though he handicapped his own score to give us a chance'

[rofl]
front sight focus and call your shots.
I dont do it as much as i used to (actually write my calls down) but calling your shots will help improve your score.
when you call a 9 at 10oclock and score a 7 at 5 you know your not focusing on the front sight.

Have you tried shooting with a jacket? limiting that body pulse helps alot also. Nothing worse when trying to shoot for score and seeing your cardiac rythm in that front sight post...

I really want to bust my high score on the M1 garand (3006) of 277/300
For the 308 i just want to get through 35 shots with out issues.

Im going to try a smaller aperture on the garand. The one on the 06 i use in matches is .080 thats pretty big. So im going to see how small i can go on the garand before things get to dark.

Last edited:
SCREW YOU GUYS!
Just placed a order for 155gn MTACs , Lapua Brass and the most expensive powder i could find!
I should pick up at least TWO points in off hand![smile]

on that note i asked the only machinist I know about making some solid copper bullets for me.
I got the very "not interested" goo goo eyes.

SCREW YOU GUYS!
Just placed a order for 155gn MTACs , Lapua Brass and the most expensive powder i could find!
I should pick up at least TWO points in off hand!
[smile]

on that note i asked the only machinist I know about making some solid copper bullets for me.
I got the very "not interested" goo goo eyes.

That's kinda like a 77-0 football game, and the winning coach is still calling for deep-ball pass plays. Or maybe like Ali standing over and taunting a knocked out opponent? [laugh]

Geez, I already committed to shoot the JCG with that ancient beat to death CMP Winchester loaded with crummy old surplus ammo. And after that I'm going to shoot MM with my slapped together, home built M14 of unknown performance.

That's kinda like a 77-0 football game, and the winning coach is still calling for deep-ball pass plays. Or maybe like Ali standing over and taunting a knocked out opponent? [laugh]

Geez, I already committed to shoot the JCG with that ancient beat to death CMP Winchester loaded with crummy old surplus ammo. And after that I'm going to shoot MM with my slapped together, home built M14 of unknown performance.

Nice! Unknown match performance as you know guns are perfect until shooting for score. If I get out one more time before the 5th to test the 308 build I will be happy. If not I'm going in with 10 rounds through it. Should be fun.
Even though I tanked with the arasaka it was fun.
I now have 2 vintage rifles I need to improve on.
Next year I need to get the Enfield out there.
No special ammo,for that dog. Just HXP.

My friends son shoots those MTAC bullets for hunting. He's been into long range hunting last few years. Went big horn sheep last few years and snagged a elk tag for this season.

Last edited:
Yep, when something goes wrong it will be during a match. At Vermont my .308 build was on its way to my best rapid score ever with a very high X-count. Until it started spitting up the enbloc. Should be fixed with a USGI (not aftermarket) clip latch and heavy spring, though I want to bring the Bula M14 for the MM match.

If the MTAC's are that good, I can see spending the money for a bighorn hunt. What's a few more bucks vs. the money to put together the trip. LOL puts spending an extra $6 for a jar of VV powder in perspective.

I still have about 1/3 box of Dad's Nosler long range hunting projectiles in 7mm. He used those for caribou and elk. Both were pretty tasty.

Little more than a week away. I have some 10 round CMI M14 mags coming to me, thinking they may be better for Off Hand than the USGI 20's.

Are 10 rounders as issued .....I kid. Although 10 round mag will throw of the balance and harmonics of the entire rifle!

Back
Top Bottom