CMP M1 Garand and Mondern Military is next 11/05/2017 @ OCSA pembroke ma

That's pretty much what he sounded like. The funny thing was that due to the heat, I deliberated over shorts and hiking shoes or jeans/boots for a while and decided to go with shorts. I figured with the sitting stage having gotten the ax, shorts would be fine. You can tell Franco's skills are respected based on how he is the one getting asked questions constantly.

It's a tripod. Last match I started to set it up, wasn't seeing very well through it, and then decided the scoring discs would suffice. Probably just need to start doing it to get better at it.

Looking good now for me to make it after some familial stuff was taken care of. Not looking forward to that Sunday traffic back up north though [thinking]

the pole stand and scope head really help a lot getting that scope in the right spot. Maybe you can get a springfield by then?

the pole stand and scope head really help a lot getting that scope in the right spot. Maybe you can get a springfield by then?
The stand definitely seems like it would be steadier than the tripod. The tripod is steadier than what this scope was on before. If we have enough guys to mark it's moot for next weekend but sooner or later I should get used to doing it.

At this rate I'm planning on the M1 match and if majspud is able and willing to loan a Springfield, trying that one too.
I left my SLED in my service grade, need to make sure I remember to eject it! Still haven't tried the two cartridge twist method, I borrowed a 2rd clip from Rich last time.

For the Springfield on the rapids, it's 5 and 5 I'm guessing?

Yes, 5 + 5, start with bolt open IIRC.

I should have an extra 2-round clip if Rich or the club do not. I don't trust that I would not fumble something with the twist method. Need to double check my 8-round enbloc loading since I had a jam last time. Really hated to waste a 92 in off-hand with a crappy rapid.

Yes, 5 + 5, start with bolt open IIRC.

I should have an extra 2-round clip if Rich or the club do not. I don't trust that I would not fumble something with the twist method. Need to double check my 8-round enbloc loading since I had a jam last time. Really hated to waste a 92 in off-hand with a crappy rapid.
Thanks on the 2-rounder...and a 92 in off-hand !!

The stand definitely seems like it would be steadier than the tripod. The tripod is steadier than what this scope was on before. If we have enough guys to mark it's moot for next weekend but sooner or later I should get used to doing it.

At this rate I'm planning on the M1 match and if majspud is able and willing to loan a Springfield, trying that one too.
I left my SLED in my service grade, need to make sure I remember to eject it! Still haven't tried the two cartridge twist method, I borrowed a 2rd clip from Rich last time.

For the Springfield on the rapids, it's 5 and 5 I'm guessing?

its not to bad really. Its not a tactical load or anything. just enough to get you in the magazine and then close the bolt on a empty chamber. I had a few jams with the 2 round clips.....like I need more practice with jams with GI clips! you can also just drop the clip in then load 2 rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not worried, it'll get loaded one way or another.
But hopefully this time I'll remember to remove the sled for rapids and put it back in for offhand, d'oh.

Thanks on the 2-rounder...and a 92 in off-hand !!

Yeah, next week I will blow something else [laugh]. One of these days I'll be running on all cylinders...

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not worried, it'll get loaded one way or another.
But hopefully this time I'll remember to remove the sled for rapids and put it back in for offhand, d'oh.

We all do that- some of us more than once. Not naming names but starts with M and ends with n.

Forgetting the sled is a PITA. I try to use my EC to pop the sled before I insert the ECI.
I also "usually" have a clip or 2 extra kicking around but as things usually go I don't have one when I need it. Like the last 2 M1 matches.
The 2 round twist is easy also and it's just a way to hold the rounds until your ready.
For the bolt guns I have less problems on the load and reload.

Weather looking good...

Fiddled with websling on my service grade, not sure I have it on correctly, I keep seeming to see contradictory info/pictures.

I think I prefer the 1907 sling...

Weather looking good...

Fiddled with websling on my service grade, not sure I have it on correctly, I keep seeming to see contradictory info/pictures.

I think I prefer the 1907 sling...
see post #1 for use

if your questioning the assembly of your sling here

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like you guys are going to have to find someone else to pull up the low score each month...just found out every CMP match for the rest of the year coincides with a drill weekend.

see you guys next year, maybe?

i'm actually pretty pissed about this. for a split second I reconsidered my upcoming reenlistment, but then I remembered that the USMC is the only reason I get to shoot at 500yd distances every year. granted it's not with any of my choice firearms, but 500yds is 500yds...plus, they even pay me for completing 2 courses of fire :D

looking at 7 years straight with an expert riflemans badge somehow...can't seem to shoot wortha beans next to all you guys!

time to get shooting for that postal match, I guess!

looks like you guys are going to have to find someone else to pull up the low score each month...just found out every CMP match for the rest of the year coincides with a drill weekend.

i'm actually pretty pissed about this. for a split second I reconsidered my upcoming reenlistment, but then I remembered that the USMC is the only reason I get to shoot at 500yd distances every year. granted it's not with any of my choice firearms, but 500yds is 500yds...plus, they even pay me for completing 2 courses of fire :D

looking at 7 years straight with an expert riflemans badge somehow...can't seem to shoot wortha beans next to all you guys!

Hey, we all still expect you to kick ass in quals. No excuses!

Seems like enough interest in the postal match that I may do another one after this one completes. All I really cared about was to have something fun for us regulars plus some incentive for at least two more people to join the fun and knock some dust off their M1's. I'm thinking next one will be any milsurp with a sling, Vietnam or older.

you can shoot 600 at Reading rifle Club often. They have a decent schedule of events open to all. They run a few CMP events along with NRA and a mix bag of other events. As long as there is room on the line and your on paper you will be good to go. Reading schedule fell on all the days I had other life stuff to deal with this year. I might sneak out there for a 600 yard match at the end of the season.

Now seriously how is the Qualification run...size of targets, rounds, time limits.

Now seriously how is the Qualification run...size of targets, rounds, time limits.

Basically VERY similar in certain aspects to the CMP course of fire.

-5 (or more if necessary) Sighters at 200 in prone to zero
-15 shots @ 200 (5 sitting, 5 kneeling, 5 standing) in 15 minutes (able [SR?] target)
-10 shot rapid fire prone @ 200 ('dog' target) for 'possible' (possible is all 10 shots in center black...i typically acheive this, but the center black is like 8-10" wide i think)
-10 shots sitting slow fire @300 (able target) 10 minutes
-10 shots rapid fire @ 300 on ('dog' target) for another 'possible'
-10 shots slow fire prone @ 500 on 'b-mod' (body mod) target...19" across the shoulder and 40" high (10 minutes)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, we all still expect you to kick ass in quals. No excuses!

Seems like enough interest in the postal match that I may do another one after this one completes. All I really cared about was to have something fun for us regulars plus some incentive for at least two more people to join the fun and knock some dust off their M1's. I'm thinking next one will be any milsurp with a sling, Vietnam or older.

i'll give it hell! that expert badge just looks so much nicer on my dress blues...dropping panties since 1776!

305 or better on tables 1&2 will get you expert. Table 1 maxes out at 250,and table 2 is worth 100 points...so between 305-350 is the sweet spot.

Table 2 is more practical, closer range combat oriented shooting. Box drills and the likes. Super easy turkey shoot type stuff.

305 or better on tables 1&2 will get you expert. Table 1 maxes out at 250,and table 2 is worth 100 points...so between 305-350 is the sweet spot.

Table 2 is more practical, closer range combat oriented shooting. Box drills and the likes. Super easy turkey shoot type stuff.

I'm NO shooting expert but I think what happens is a "hits" on target is good enough creeps into your brain for that type of qualification. So when you try to shoot small groups it's something you need to make sure you and your brain are both focused on.
I think of it like shooting free throws. Some folks can get them in but use every inch of rim and back board and others are all net. It's all about what you do and how well you repeat it.
I fall off my sight picture with the AR and M1 or any rifle with a front post as 90% of my shooting is done with a front aperture globe sight on the pellet guns or my 513t. I don't really shoot my M1 or any of my cmp guns between matches. So I tend to loose my sight picture with the post style front sight. If I had my way aperture globe targets sights would be legal in everything!

Last edited:
finally done loading for the match.... I have finally come to like this load so next season I will have enough pre loaded for the year in for the M1 I use.
9FdyvBg.jpg

finally done loading for the match.... I have finally come to like this load so next season I will have enough pre loaded for the year in for the M1 I use.
Nice. I've just started rounding everything up for the morning.
Need to set that alarm before I forget.

Someone shooting at OCSA has a 30-06 with a generous chamber.
Was sizing up all the brass I collected this season (mostly mine and a few shooters have given me brass) Its all HXP random head stamps.

When I was resizing brass today I was attempting to just go through it all and bang it out. I had a partially stuck case slow me down and then a handful of others that stopped my press hard. These cases are blown out a good amount. Are they junk, dangerous or just need a little more? I have enough brass to not bother....just a little thing to do before I head of to the coach to pass out...

These look to be once fired HXP with the slight greenish primer sealer and the 3 stake priming.
Left is a 1x know from my M1 I use at the matches. The others a 1972 and a 1977 you can see the bulge at the head just below the ring the FL die left. I didn't even get low enough on the ram to start the primer out before I said..ummpphh that's tight.
ztfnHUu.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Nice. I've just started rounding everything up for the morning.
Need to set that alarm before I forget.

I just grab the shit and toss it in the truck.... im not very organized when im tire like this.

Wow...
I've had some .308 be very tough to size, but not 30-06...

- - - Updated - - -

I just grab the shit and toss it in the truck.... im not very organized when im tire like this.
I'll invariably end up forgetting something anyway.

Wow...
I've had some .308 be very tough to size, but not 30-06...

- - - Updated - - -

I'll invariably end up forgetting something anyway.

guns, ammo , water everything else is just clutter right.
I have seen some pretty blown out cases of all flavors. Just been a while since I have come across any.

Back
Top Bottom