CMP M1 Garand and Mondern Military is next 11/05/2017 @ OCSA pembroke ma

the 2 round enbloc load for rapids

just stick the 2 rounds in a enbloc and twist. Then insert enbloc into rifles magazine and work the bolt to close over the rounds to have a empty chamber for the beginning of the rapids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got some 200 yard offhand practice in with my Garand tonight; looking forward to the offhand during the match on Sunday.

Got some 200 yard offhand practice in with my Garand tonight; looking forward to the offhand during the match on Sunday.

Ruh roh, guess I better do the same! Going to shoot 200 yards tomorrow. Still have not decided which rifle to shoot- Garand or M39. Probably only time for one match.

Shot the M39 at Granby today with 46.5 gr Varget and Nosler 168 blems. Starts spraying minute of 8-ring when hot. Got it hot enough to actually start weeping oil or cosmo from the muzzle end of the stock. Otherwise pretty decent accuracy, though I chased the windage for a while. A little inconsistent for my preference. I may dissect some Hornady rounds and try to figure out a clone- they seem to shoot really well in this rifle.

Anyway, I'm going to bring the Garand, which is staying in the 10-ring prone and I can keep almost all in the black shooting offhand.

If you're interested in shooting both matches, you are welcome to shoot my M1917 for Vintage. In prone it will definitely hold the 10 ring; rapids and offhand results may vary :)

Should be interesting.
Un known load in the M1 and the k98 is not behaving. I have no wind windage set pretty well for the cast loads but there's no happy medium for 200 yard elevation. Holding over or under with the K98 sights is useless for me. That triangle tip is a bugger.
Anyhow I might just toss a real wrench in the g e gears and show up with cast loads for one of my garands and the Arisaka!
What I went through today with the k98 if we don't have working pits it will be a very tough to score well.

Last edited:
Shot the M39 at Granby today with 46.5 gr Varget and Nosler 168 blems. Starts spraying minute of 8-ring when hot. Got it hot enough to actually start weeping oil or cosmo from the muzzle end of the stock. Otherwise pretty decent accuracy, though I chased the windage for a while. A little inconsistent for my preference. I may dissect some Hornady rounds and try to figure out a clone- they seem to shoot really well in this rifle.

Anyway, I'm going to bring the Garand, which is staying in the 10-ring prone and I can keep almost all in the black shooting offhand.

If you can keep them in the black you will be in the gold hunt.

Should be interesting.
Un known load in the M1 and the k98 is not behaving. I have no wind windage set pretty well for the cast loads but there's no happy medium for 200 yard elevation. Holding over or under with the K98 sights is useless for me. That triangle tip is a bugger.
Anyhow I might just toss a real wrench in the g e gears and show up with cast loads for one of my garands and the Arisaka!
What I went through today with the k98 if we don't have working pits it will be a very tough to score well.

That's the issue- no working pits could make it very difficult for me to keep that M39 in the black. Once it gets good and hot, it is no longer behaves as well as it normally does. I honestly think it shoots best when very cold. It shot well last winter on a 7 degree day when my AR lube was turning to jelly and its scope was locking up.

Maybe I'll bring it in case we have working pits. I know the Garand is shooting well and the sights adjustments are GTG for my loads, so lack of pit crew is not a big deal. The Mosin is a question mark.

Good luck this weekend, be curious to see what everyone shoots and how well they do.
Unfortunately I'm leaving for Ohio for a funeral tonight so I won't be going, but I'm going to finally shoot those Mosin reloads from February before I go. Low expectations but will see how they do.

I am pleased to report those rounds worked better than expected.
No problems hitting the plates at 100 from the bench and also hit the plate off hand.
The club was somewhat crowded (did not expect it given the weather) so I didn't run a target out; only had 19 rounds and limited time.

Pleasantly surprised since it was 308 diameter bullets rather than .311+. Maybe the bore is tighter than I gave it credit for?

I am planning on looking for a .311 neck sizer that will work for the Mosin and another project after I get back from OH. I have a 7.62x54R seating die, I presume I would need a distinct seating die for a different .311 cartridge as well.

But, this was promising. Virtually no recoil either; could shoot it all day.

110gr round nose 308 diam
IMR 3031 at minimum charge in Hornady manual (c.40gr if I recall, would have to double check).

Have some more factory loaded PPU 7.62x54R waiting for me at home since UPS says my package was delivered. That'll give me some more brass to work with.

What Mosin do you have? We slugged my M39 at the casting seminar and it was pretty much .308". Figured I could get away with a .309" bullet sizer for that as well as any other 30 cal rifle.

A 1943 Izhevsk 91/30.
I haven't slugged it or anything, I just figured those 308's would be all over the place, but they seemed fine. Next batch I'll run a target out to see how tight I can get them to group.

Well, the stock WAS melting in the heat...

An idea was being tossed around the forum for a winter milsurp match. I think it would be fun & snow is mandatory.
I would be interested in that
Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-E0406-0022-001%2C_Russland%2C_Kesselschlacht_Stalingrad.jpg

I would be interested in that
Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-E0406-0022-001%2C_Russland%2C_Kesselschlacht_Stalingrad.jpg

I'm definitely in!

Hey, any chance any of you guys have extra standard style mosin slings laying around to sell or just loan for the match on Sunday? My buddy just bought a T53 and I told him I'd break out my China lady if he did, but neither one of us got slings in our deals (both paid $150 for our rifles though at separate times...seems to be the going rate!)

I'm definitely in!

Hey, any chance any of you guys have extra standard style mosin slings laying around to sell or just loan for the match on Sunday? My buddy just bought a T53 and I told him I'd break out my China lady if he did, but neither one of us got slings in our deals (both paid $150 for our rifles though at separate times...seems to be the going rate!)

The po;ish slings are pretty darn nice and they have one for the M44. The sling is not that great for use. You can adapt to use like a USGI web sling. I will bring my sling for my mosin with me. I have a few leather slings Albanian one and I think the other is a East german or a reproduction.?? they are deep in the closet so those wont be coming out any time soon

god bless and good luck with the T53 sunday. I have a Russian M44 although it shoots "ok" it would make for a rough match score.

I'm definitely in!

I have a Mosin sling- not sure if it is for my M44 or was for a 91/30 that I already sold. It's in great shape and you are welcome to use it. In fact, if you want to check it out tomorrow I'm just across town from you.

Last minute change for me:

Taller front K31 sight arrived much sooner than expected and I installed it right away. Made a quick trip to the range and seems to be GTG with a little line of white sighting adjustment. On top of that, I have some boxes of PPU that the K31 likes better than the GP11. So for Sunday I will at least be shooting the K31.

Probably I'll only shoot one match anyway- holiday return traffic will probably be pretty awful by late afternoon.

For those of you who have followed or at least visited the Swiss Rifles forum, you may recall 'Guisan' who was basically the Gus Fisher of that forum. He passed a couple years ago, but his wife still has a few parts and will ship for short change. $22 shipped for the K31 front sight, and I had it in a week or so after shipping from the Netherlands.

I patched up some SR-1 targets earlier; going to hit the range with the M1917 first thing tomorrow for a little pre match practice.

I have a Mosin sling- not sure if it is for my M44 or was for a 91/30 that I already sold. It's in great shape and you are welcome to use it. In fact, if you want to check it out tomorrow I'm just across town from you.

Taller front K31 sight arrived much sooner than expected and I installed it right away. Made a quick trip to the range and seems to be GTG with a little line of white sighting adjustment. On top of that, I have some boxes of PPU that the K31 likes better than the GP11. So for Sunday I will at least be shooting the K31.

Probably I'll only shoot one match anyway- holiday return traffic will probably be pretty awful by late afternoon.

For those of you who have followed or at least visited the Swiss Rifles forum, you may recall 'Guisan' who was basically the Gus Fisher of that forum. He passed a couple years ago, but his wife still has a few parts and will ship for short change. $22 shipped for the K31 front sight, and I had it in a week or so after shipping from the Netherlands.

ohh no M39..... its getting harder for me to still bring the k98 The K31 taunts me... Gehen Sie voran K98 haben scheiße Partitur Ich bin hier mit Geweben, wenn Sie nach Hause kommen im not sure if it translated correctly or not?

The po;ish slings are pretty darn nice and they have one for the M44. The sling is not that great for use. You can adapt to use like a USGI web sling. I will bring my sling for my mosin with me. I have a few leather slings Albanian one and I think the other is a East german or a reproduction.?? they are deep in the closet so those wont be coming out any time soon

god bless and good luck with the T53 sunday. I have a Russian M44 although it shoots "ok" it would make for a rough match score.

Awesome, thank you both! I don't mind if I have to wrap it around my hand a few times to make it work...adapt, improvise, overcome...right? We'll likely be using all surplus ammo too...it's going to be more of a 'who makes it on paper, wins' kinda match...but it'll still be fun. My T53 is minute of target out to 100 yards...who knows, maybe some ancient Chinese secret will pull my groups closer together at 200!

- - - Updated - - -

Please, and thank you! Anything is better than nothing when all you have is a T53 :D

I have ordered parts from Guisan in the past and I was heartbroken to learn of his passing in 2016. He always responded to all my stupid questions on the Swiss forum, no matter how many times they had been answered previously. THAT man, loved Swiss rifles! I love the 3 I have for the time being, but always dream about having a comprehensive Swiss rifle collection some day.Rest Easy, Guisan...in that range in the sky!

Last edited:
Awesome, thank you both! I don't mind if I have to wrap it around my hand a few times to make it work...adapt, improvise, overcome...right? We'll likely be using all surplus ammo too...it's going to be more of a 'who makes it on paper, wins' kinda match...but it'll still be fun. My T53 is minute of target out to 100 yards...who knows, maybe some ancient Chinese secret will pull my groups closer together at 200!

- - - Updated - - -

Please, and thank you! Anything is better than nothing when all you have is a T53 :D

I have ordered parts from Guisan in the past and I was heartbroken to learn of his passing in 2016. He always responded to all my stupid questions on the Swiss forum, no matter how many times they had been answered previously. THAT man, loved Swiss rifles! I love the 3 I have for the time being, but always dream about having a comprehensive Swiss rifle collection some day.Rest Easy, Guisan...in that range in the sky!

don't forget you can just use a USGI web sling ran through the front collar also.
its a sling keeper not a dog

Last edited by a moderator:
I knocked the dust off the M1917 and she's ready for tomorrow.

There were 2 others at the range, an older woman and a young man. Got to talking to them - the young man is going off to Parris Island in a few weeks and the woman was his neighbor giving him a primer on how to shoot via a .22 AR-15.

Before packing up my rifle I asked if he wanted to shoot it and of course the answer was yes. Gave him a quick primer on the rifle and had him dry fire. First live round and his face lit up like a Christmas tree. By the second shot he had hit steel at the 100 yard line. Third shot, he asked me to make a video on his phone so he could show his dad. He shot a few more and continued to hit steel. Definitely made my day showing this kid around the 1917 rifle.

I knocked the dust off the M1917 and she's ready for tomorrow.

There were 2 others at the range, an older woman and a young man. Got to talking to them - the young man is going off to Parris Island in a few weeks and the woman was his neighbor giving him a primer on how to shoot via a .22 AR-15.

Before packing up my rifle I asked if he wanted to shoot it and of course the answer was yes. Gave him a quick primer on the rifle and had him dry fire. First live round and his face lit up like a Christmas tree. By the second shot he had hit steel at the 100 yard line. Third shot, he asked me to make a video on his phone so he could show his dad. He shot a few more and continued to hit steel. Definitely made my day showing this kid around the 1917 rifle.

That's always fun....although almost anything she showed the kid will be smashed from his brain and replaced with the USMC way.

Back
Top Bottom