CMP M1 Garand and Mondern Military is next 11/05/2017 @ OCSA pembroke ma

Short trip to the range, and not particularly productive. Forgot my spotting scope, so lots of wasted time checking shots.

Did a few minor things to the .308 Garand and slinged up to see how it would do. Good news is that horizontal displacement is ~1/2 MOA at 100 yards. Bad news is that my vertical displacement is double. Some of that probably me in bad light, but it's not all me. Back to the drawing board.

M39 replacement front sight was better matched to the peep and is way too tall for the regular rear sight. Was working my way up but ran out of time and had to head home for dinner. Maybe the 400 meter setting will work, or I can file down the sight. Don't want to do that for when I re-install the rear peep.

One highlight was the Luger, which shot well.

Not to bad at least you didn't forget your bolt for your rifle.

Sighting in the M39 and burning up some PPU for the brass.

IMG_0628.jpg

Stupid iPhone again... SR-1 at 100 yards, as usual. Last 5 shots circled, others from futzing around with the sights. Nice tight group for the last 4 shots. Looking forward to trying reloads.

There are at least 2 YouTube videos that give the wrong info to adjust M39 front sights.

Sighting in the M39 and burning up some PPU for the brass.

View attachment 200987

Stupid iPhone again... SR-1 at 100 yards, as usual. Last 5 shots circled, others from futzing around with the sights. Nice tight group for the last 4 shots. Looking forward to trying reloads.

There are at least 2 YouTube videos that give the wrong info to adjust M39 front sights.

So what did you do ....go the wrong way[laugh2]
So how do you adjust it... do you have to loosen one side and run other side in or does it have detent adjustable? Did you figure out how many MOA per 1/4, 1/2 or full turn?
Maybe I will toss some 54r cast and if I can hit the black at 100 we can try to make it a mosin match.

Last edited:
So what did you do ....go the wrong way[laugh2]
So how do you adjust it... do you have to loosen one side and run other side in or does it have detent adjustable? Did you figure out how many MOA per 1/4, 1/2 or full turn?
Maybe I will toss some 54r cast and if I can hit the black at 100 we can try to make it a mosin match.

Loosen one side, tighten the other side to pull it that direction. YouTube numbnuts were saying loosen the right then tighten the left to pull the front sight right. No dummies, that will shift the impact right!

No clue how far each turn will shift impact- had to shoot a few rounds of that PPU before the groups tightened up. Made it difficult to adjust the sight. Once it started shooting as above, that was close enough plus I then had enough brass. Might sight in my reloads at 200 yards at Granby this Sunday. I keep missing the long range orientation.[frown]

Yeah, Mosin match! I think they will be a PITA in rapids, however.

Loosen one side, tighten the other side to pull it that direction. YouTube numbnuts were saying loosen the right then tighten the left to pull the front sight right. No dummies, that will shift the impact right!

No clue how far each turn will shift impact- had to shoot a few rounds of that PPU before the groups tightened up. Made it difficult to adjust the sight. Once it started shooting as above, that was close enough plus I then had enough brass. Might sight in my reloads at 200 yards at Granby this Sunday. I keep missing the long range orientation.[frown]

Why will they be a pain in the rapids. You get 80 seconds now?
You just need to remember front sight is opposite.
So your sight works like the gross windage of 1903a4 scope mount.
For the M39 if you could figure the thread pitch you can figure out the movement/moa.
If you get a pitch gauge and find out the pitch.
Go over to practical machinist . Com lots of good stuff there. You could get a rough idea by measuring the change with calipers from sight post to wing? I can't see it being to fine. If I had to guess. It would be somewhere in the 1/2 moa are for a 1/8 turn or so? Does the front sight also drift as a assembly?

Last edited:
Why will they be a pain in the rapids. You get 80 seconds now?
You just need to remember front sight is opposite.
So your sight works like the gross windage of 1903a4 scope mount.
For the M39 if you could figure the thread pitch you can figure out the movement/moa.

Short, awkward bolt handle, throw is a bit tight. Not nearly as slick to run as my '03. Now where in the heck did I put those stripper clips...

Once I have my loads all set, I'll figure out the front sight MOA from dot to dot or at least per rotation. No clue on the thread pitch.

If .308 projectiles don't run well, I'll just buy two boxes of the Hornady. IIRC group size was slightly under 2" with the Hornady.

Short, awkward bolt handle, throw is a bit tight. Not nearly as slick to run as my '03. Now where in the heck did I put those stripper clips...

Once I have my loads all set, I'll figure out the front sight MOA from dot to dot or at least per rotation. No clue on the thread pitch.

If .308 projectiles don't run well, I'll just buy two boxes of the Hornady. IIRC group size was slightly under 2" with the Hornady.

i will send babushka to show you how use glorious rifle.[smile] even left handed.

with out knowing the sight radius on the M39 i will guess rougly 22-24" so some where between .006"- .008" change is 1 moa. I personally would just measure sight post to inside edge of wing move it 4 "dots" and measure the change. Then just use the sight height calculator to figure out the change at 100 yards.

I know my 91/30's bolt tends to get sticky when fired a lot in short succession.
The straight bolt is actually a little easier for me as a lefty.
Still haven't taken my reloads out.

I know my 91/30's bolt tends to get sticky when fired a lot in short succession.
The straight bolt is actually a little easier for me as a lefty.
Still haven't taken my reloads out.
Бабушка показать американца, чтобы использовать настоящую винтовку

my only real problem is getting the sights lined up quickly. My Rx is great for the front post 28" away but not so great for the rear notch of the 1/30. I wonder if the M39 rear sight would be legal on a 91/30

Since you are posting in Cyrillic, I think you should put a Dragoon sight on that Mosin and do wodka shots for breakfast. [smile]

Krasivaya Galena zhdet ispytaniya v slavnoy vintovke 91/30

OldjbH9.jpg

Only problem with 91/30 is no real provisions to sling up. I make do with Russian sling.

$4.58 for 5. Do they stack like .303 British?

T

The clips, or the cartridges? I'm assuming the latter (re: the rim of the cartridge). When I use mine I keep all the rims parallel (no overlapping). I then place the clip in the guide on the rifle, and lift the top cartridge at about 45 degrees, holding the bullet in my hand/pointer/middle finger, and then I press down on the case with my thumb near the clip itself to push the rounds into the magazine. I've not had any problems.

$4.58 for 5. Do they stack like .303 British?

T

I have several different reproductions and some original tula clips. They all work. You need to inspect them closely though. They are often twisted or the rails the rims slide into are bent.
303 and or 54r clips do not need to be stacked in any special way in the clip or the magazine. If your getting rim lock there is something wrong with your rifle.
The brits did load thier clips staggered but its not required. Any special way to hold or install a clip on a combat rifle is not good.
Could you imagine trying make sure the "clip" was in the "up" position in a reload on the front lines.

Try it... load your clips. just put the rounds in it will function.
Now try to load your rifle by hand and see how well you will stagger or alternate where the rim is.... mean while do this while your on the front line.

Last edited:
I got humbled today at a full course EIC match up at Reading. My first offhand shot was a 9, it didn't get any better than that. In both sitting rapid and prone, I pulled through my second stage for one shot resulting in a miss for each - dammit. Would have shot a decent score otherwise. Picked up the slack a little on 600 yard slow fire though and was pretty happy with that.

Anyways, I gotta get my 1917 out to the range one day this week before the vintage match coming up next weekend.

I got humbled today at a full course EIC match up at Reading. My first offhand shot was a 9, it didn't get any better than that. In both sitting rapid and prone, I pulled through my second stage for one shot resulting in a miss for each - dammit. Would have shot a decent score otherwise. Picked up the slack a little on 600 yard slow fire though and was pretty happy with that.

Anyways, I gotta get my 1917 out to the range one day this week before the vintage match coming up next weekend.

My very first run at XTC I shot a 710/800 best so far is 744/800...

It was humid today...no fun shooting when you can't stop your eyes from sweating. Humping to and fro just adds to it. Plus EIC is no sighters correct.

I have my 35 rounds of 8mm cast loads about done. Then tomorrow I will toss the garand Loads together... heck I,might even brake out the dedicated cast load garand? I want to post a good score. After last week posting a 250/300 with 3 misses(saved rounds) really had me a bit crossed...

My only real goal is to shoot a 85 or better in off hand. Will be practicing with the 853 all week!

A few weeks back I shot a 742/800; my first XTC

The one yesterday was a CMP EIC match, so 50 round National Match course. 10 standing and 10 rapid sitting at 200, 10 rapid prone 300 and 20 slow prone at 600. No sighters. It was hot and humid but not terrible.

The 2 guys who won Leg points shot in the mid 470's. I think one of those guys was using an iron sight A2, but lots of scoped AR service rifles there.

I am going to re-evaluate how I get into offhand mentally. I'm always so nervous when I get up there because I want a good score, but end up shaking like a leaf. Going to take a "it doesn't matter" mindset next match and see if I can shake any of that nervousness away. In practice I can consistently shoot in the high 80s and even scrape myself into the low 90s, just need to transfer that mindset to shooting for score.

A few weeks back I shot a 742/800; my first XTC

The one yesterday was a CMP EIC match, so 50 round National Match course. 10 standing and 10 rapid sitting at 200, 10 rapid prone 300 and 20 slow prone at 600. No sighters. It was hot and humid but not terrible.

The 2 guys who won Leg points shot in the mid 470's. I think one of those guys was using an iron sight A2, but lots of scoped AR service rifles there.

I am going to re-evaluate how I get into offhand mentally. I'm always so nervous when I get up there because I want a good score, but end up shaking like a leaf. Going to take a "it doesn't matter" mindset next match and see if I can shake any of that nervousness away. In practice I can consistently shoot in the high 80s and even scrape myself into the low 90s, just need to transfer that mindset to shooting for score.

Don't know any tips for off hand other than practice. I just started shooting low 90s when the twins where born.
I don't know if it's correct or not but my way.
Natural point of aim. Set up the best you can to have that wobble in the black the best you can.
Don't fight the wobble. I don't want to say shoot fast. I would rather say. Deep breath gun comes up breath out accept that wobble and as the sight comes into the black snap the shot off... I don't just jerk the trigger but I'm not riding the squeeze like I do in prone..if you can't get the shot of in a few seconds reset. Gun down on rest breath and start over. 10 min is a long time and often many of us are done long before that.
My front sight "wobble" is like a infinity sign.
It flows from right to left low to high then comes back around. As it starts it's wobble from the right intend to snap off the shot as the front sight touches the black.
If you fight the wobble it just gets worse.
Another thing that helps me is actually writing down my calls. I don't do it as much as I used to but my scores along with my correct calls went up when I did.

Last edited:
Don't know any tips for off hand other than practice. I just started shooting low 90s when the twins where born.
I don't know if it's correct or not but my way.
Natural point of aim. Set up the best you can to have that wobble in the black the best you can.
Don't fight the wobble. I don't want to say shoot fast. I would rather say. Deep breath gun comes up breath out accept that wobble and as the sight comes into the black snap the shot off... I don't just jerk the trigger but I'm not riding the squeeze like I do in prone..if you can't get the shot of in a few seconds reset. Gun down on rest breath and start over. 10 min is a long time and often many of us finally she long before that.
My front sight "wobble" is like a infinity sign.
It flows from right to left low to high then comes back around. As it starts it's wobble from the right intend to snap off the shot as the front sight touches the black.
If you fight the wobble it just gets worse.
Another thing that helps me is actually writing down my calls. I don't do it as much as I used to but my scores along with my correct calls went up when I did.

Yeah, all of that works well when I shoot for practice... Then my heart starts beating a mile a minute when I shoot for score.

This year I have noticed that I am able to "call" my offhand shots better, especially the ones that land outside of the black.

Yeah, all of that works well when I shoot for practice... Then my heart starts beating a mile a minute when I shoot for score.

This year I have noticed that I am able to "call" my offhand shots better, especially the ones that land outside of the black.

trying to remember what you seen at that point of trigger pull is not easy, well for me its not and its something you need to work at. It also helps to have those little muscles you never use other than in ofthand in a bit better condition....and figuring out a position to eliminate the small muscles being used is even better.

just for shits and giggles try shooting off hand and use a timer and only give your self 8 seconds to take a shot. often you need to eliminate the "thinking"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom