CMP M1 Garand and Mondern Military is next 11/05/2017 @ OCSA pembroke ma

That's always fun....although almost anything she showed the kid will be smashed from his brain and replaced with the USMC way.

Oh for sure. I told the kid the standing position I was shooting in will not be taught at Parris Island.

Not sure what the standard used to be but guy down the street said 76% is a passing score for marksmenship. He also said most of his training was on simulation. Quick iron sight class qualification with what he called RCO. He said once he was done with basic they had more training with iron sights but not much. What ever it's worth he says he heard that the every marine is a riflemen is coming to a end and only combat and combat support units will have training.???
I know a family of USMC history that have a family match every year. Any rifle prone and off hand 10 rounds each. Sadly the oldest at 94 won't be making it this year. He has been the champ for many many years. Last year he won again.
Now it's down to 2 men of 80s ages, 1 50yr 1 27 and a most recent entry is a 24old niece. From what understand she's the top shot in the bunch being under the wing of one of her great uncles and apparently will be using the 1903 the 94 year old great grand dad used.

That would be awesome. Might be a little tough at 200 though?

It would be fun to get a Carbine match organized there... I would even bring a 2nd carbine for someone else to shoot with.

I have 2 also
I really have not sat down and really "tuned them up or een really zeroed them. One is capable of holding the black at 100 the other so so.

I have 2 also
I really have not sat down and really "tuned them up or een really zeroed them. One is capable of holding the black at 100 the other so so.

On July 4th I took my girlfriend and Carbine down to the range. She was hitting the black on the SR1 from bench rest; I was able to hold "minute of steel plate" at 100 yards in sitting. Fun to get them out once in a while.

On July 4th I took my girlfriend and Carbine down to the range. She was hitting the black on the SR1 from bench rest; I was able to hold "minute of steel plate" at 100 yards in sitting. Fun to get them out once in a while.

Yes it is...I have about 2200 rounds loaded and waiting

Today was good weather and some good shooting
M1 Match
Gold 282- Franco
Silver 269/7x Dave
bronze 269/4X John

I did not get the vintage results. There was a a good variety today... Chinese T53, Mausers, 1917s and Swiss.

Today was good weather and some good shooting
M1 Match
Gold 282- Franco
Silver 269/7x Dave
bronze 269/4X John

I did not get the vintage results. There was a a good variety today... Chinese T53, Mausers, 1917s and Swiss.

I shot 271-1x with my M1917 resulting in the Gold. In a real CMP Games match, that would be a "Silver" medal (270-277).

Andy was right behind me in Vintage, unsure about the Bronze.

Great time today

Edit: The rifle rack today

w0rPA7U.jpg

Last edited:
268 5X with the Garand. OK slow, abysmal rapid due to rushing after a double jam, and a good offhand. I think I had one not all the way to the bottom of the enbloc and it went crooked when loading. Coulda bin a contendah...

I chickened out and didn't fire the K31- might have had to drift the front sight a little and didn't want to be chasing it. I'll get it sorted out at Granby and maybe bring to Vermont.

Nice shootin' to all medal grabbers.

dw617, great score with that 1917 you stole!

Liked seeing those two T53's. How'd they do?

268 5X with the Garand. OK slow, abysmal rapid due to rushing after a double jam, and a good offhand. I think I had one not all the way to the bottom of the enbloc and it went crooked when loading. Coulda bin a contendah...

I chickened out and didn't fire the K31- might have had to drift the front sight a little and didn't want to be chasing it. I'll get it sorted out at Granby and maybe bring to Vermont.

Nice shootin' to all medal grabbers.

dw617, great score with that 1917 you stole!

Liked seeing those two T53's. How'd they do?

Not to bad for not having pit work.
208 and 228 IIRC.
They did well for old Chinese gun. I might bring my M44 to a vintage match next year.
Im looking forward to the arisaka next year.

Not to bad for not having pit work.
208 and 228 IIRC.
They did well for old Chinese gun. I might bring my M44 to a vintage match next year.
Im looking forward to the arisaka next year.

Pat corrected his score to a 218 with the T-53...accidentally gave himself an extra 10 somehow...but still beat me by 10! It was actually really fun shooting those things...kinda felt like I was beating someone up Everytime I had to chamber a new round in the rapid...I was quite literally smashing the bolt full force! Got some tetra copper remover and a nice chamber brush like Franco and John recommended...see if I can't get the chamber a CH looser than she is now.

August 8th M1 garand and springfield match

the seasons half way through come on time is running out.

Garand and springfield match is next!

See Post #1 for details

I'll try the 110 grain pills for the '03 at 200 if I get a chance to sneak out to Granby between now and then. Lots of travel so it will be tough. I need to get the chrony on them to make the calculations and ensure they are still supersonic at 200- I bet dropping below will get them a bit wonky. They are stupid fun- like shooting a 22LR in both recoil and lobbing trajectory. I'll shoot the usual SMK's if I don't have a chance to check them out prior to the match.

I'll try the 110 grain pills for the '03 at 200 if I get a chance to sneak out to Granby between now and then. Lots of travel so it will be tough. I need to get the chrony on them to make the calculations and ensure they are still supersonic at 200- I bet dropping below will get them a bit wonky. They are stupid fun- like shooting a 22LR in both recoil and lobbing trajectory. I'll shoot the usual SMK's if I don't have a chance to check them out prior to the match.

You could load them as low as 1400fps or so and they would still be supersonic at 200. I think...guessing.
I have no idea what my Pusszzy loads are running.
I might some day find the time to crony them.
The 1903a3 cast loads will hold 10 ring if I can.

Back to my normal load for the M1 next time

Get them out!
I'm tentatively planning to shoot the M1 match.
I don't have an 03 so I would not be able to participate in that one.
Got some stuff coming up this autumn that might make things tough to attend other matches.

I will be there for both. Trip to India cancelled last night, so no jet lag excuse for me.

Will either get chrony data or just shoot 200 at Granby for my Springfield poo-say loads. Schedule might be tight anyway so I can use ballistic software for the come-ups, assuming I have a load that remains supersonic at 200. Local club 15 minutes, Granby is 50 minutes.

Oh, head's up- Seemed like we were getting low on pasters in the pit box last match. If OCSA doesn't have a stash elsewhere, they might need to order...

If there aren't enough people to man the pits I predict I will score miserably because I cannot get my loaner spotting scope to help me, so I would be shooting blind. The discs allowed me to make adjustments without one and it was a huge help compared to last October.

I wish OCSA had loaner 1903s.

If there aren't enough people to man the pits I predict I will score miserably because I cannot get my loaner spotting scope to help me, so I would be shooting blind. The discs allowed me to make adjustments without one and it was a huge help compared to last October.

I wish OCSA had loaner 1903s.
if we are not on the same line your welcome to use my scope...im sure there will be plenty of scopes if you really need one. The pits where supposed to be redone and expaned to 6 working targets if not a couple more but from the fly on the wall club politics got in the way. If I had a 2nd springfield I would hook you up.
I doubt I will have enough time to cast more bullets and get them loaded by next week end for you to use my rifle and loads.

I have both an M03 - 1919/1931 RIA/SPR M03 and a 60x scope

T
That would be very generous of you. I'll have to confirm I can make it down that day. Got some stuff going on that might get in the way but I am hoping it doesn't.
if we are not on the same line your welcome to use my scope...im sure there will be plenty of scopes if you really need one. The pits where supposed to be redone and expaned to 6 working targets if not a couple more but from the fly on the wall club politics got in the way. If I had a 2nd springfield I would hook you up.
I doubt I will have enough time to cast more bullets and get them loaded by next week end for you to use my rifle and loads.
I have a loaner scope. My troubles are getting it positioned in a way that I can see the target prone. Probably just as much (if not more) my fault (since it is not an action I've had to do with any frequency) as the scope's.

I would run HXP from my stash in any borrowed Springfield unless the rifle's owner has other wishes. I have weakish reloads but use those on my own firearms. (like today's postal target).
Although, I do have some corrosive FN 57 or Taiwanese surplus I have laying around[rofl] (joking, if this was not obvious).

I liked the scoring discs because it was quick and easy for me to tell the result of the shot and make an adjustment. I have a feeling I'll might spend too much time dithering with a scope due to inexperience on the slow fire prone stage.

We've had a good turnout at OCSA CMP this year. The summer months typically lead to lower attendance due to the heat and other priorities. There were one or two matches last year which turned into practices because not enough guys showed up. Heres to an efficiently run August match with enough guys for the pits.
The heat at the June match was pretty high, hopefully August match won't be that bad. I'll wear jeans this time no matter if it's 115° to avoid Franco's wrath.

The heat at the June match was pretty high, hopefully August match won't be that bad. I'll wear jeans this time no matter if it's 115° to avoid Franco's wrath.

Why-a the F would-a you wear-a the F-ing shorts? LOL, if someone wasn't catching crap for something, I'd worry that I went to the wrong club, or that Franco had been abducted by aliens and poorly cloned. The special attention is just icing on the cake- I've received a lot of good information and advice from Franco. Sometimes you can catch some small things that really help put holes in the x-ring. He's quite a resource & damn he can shoot! I took a quick look at Camp Perry results and saw his name all over for top scores.

Also welcome to use my scope if we are on different lines.

Maybe, just maybe I can have my Bula M14 built by the 9/10 MM match. Pick up the pile of parts tomorrow morning. I'll probably skip playing around with poooo-see loads and just run the normal ones to free up some time for the Bula.

That would be very generous of you. I'll have to confirm I can make it down that day. Got some stuff going on that might get in the way but I am hoping it doesn't.

I have a loaner scope. My troubles are getting it positioned in a way that I can see the target prone. Probably just as much (if not more) my fault (since it is not an action I've had to do with any frequency) as the scope's.

I would run HXP from my stash in any borrowed Springfield unless the rifle's owner has other wishes. I have weakish reloads but use those on my own firearms. (like today's postal target).
Although, I do have some corrosive FN 57 or Taiwanese surplus I have laying around[rofl] (joking, if this was not obvious).

I liked the scoring discs because it was quick and easy for me to tell the result of the shot and make an adjustment. I have a feeling I'll might spend too much time dithering with a scope due to inexperience on the slow fire prone stage.

Are you using a scope stand or tri pod?
I will spot for you or anyone for that matter if I'm on the side lines.
My 1903a3 eats a steady diet of cast. Running jacketed through it will just cause issues and I would have to deep clean it before running cast again. Think big bore 22lr with low velocity cast loads and a good seasoned barrel just like 22s.
I have a really whimpy load to try soon. Won't even need a gas check.

As for setting up the scope. Sometimes it's best t have someone set it up while your in position. That way you can find the right spot and have someone adjust it for you so you just need to turn your head a little and look through the scope. If your scope has poor eye relief it makes thing harder on you.

Last edited:
Why-a the F would-a you wear-a the F-ing shorts? LOL, if someone wasn't catching crap for something, I'd worry that I went to the wrong club, or that Franco had been abducted by aliens and poorly cloned. The special attention is just icing on the cake- I've received a lot of good information and advice from Franco. Sometimes you can catch some small things that really help put holes in the x-ring. He's quite a resource & damn he can shoot! I took a quick look at Camp Perry results and saw his name all over for top scores.
That's pretty much what he sounded like. The funny thing was that due to the heat, I deliberated over shorts and hiking shoes or jeans/boots for a while and decided to go with shorts. I figured with the sitting stage having gotten the ax, shorts would be fine. You can tell Franco's skills are respected based on how he is the one getting asked questions constantly.

Are you using a scope stand or tri pod?
I will spot for you or anyone for that matter if I'm on the side lines.
My 1903a3 eats a steady diet of cast. Running jacketed through it will just cause issues and I would have to deep clean it before running cast again. Think big bore 22lr with low velocity cast loads and a good seasoned barrel just like 22s.
I have a really whimpy load to try soon. Won't even need a gas check.

As for setting up the scope. Sometimes it's best t have someone set it up while your in position. That way you can find the right spot and have someone adjust it for you so you just need to turn your head a little and look through the scope. If your scope has poor eye relief it makes thing harder on you.
It's a tripod. Last match I started to set it up, wasn't seeing very well through it, and then decided the scoring discs would suffice. Probably just need to start doing it to get better at it.

Looking good now for me to make it after some familial stuff was taken care of. Not looking forward to that Sunday traffic back up north though [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom