Civil War arms

So it's looking more and more likely I am going to see some sort of collapse during my lifetime. Things just seem to get worse every month. Our useless governments at all levels have no problem grinding down on your average Joe or Jane, but when faced with rioters in cities or invaders across out borders, they take no action. Those turds let criminals out of jail so the won't get a cold but if you dare open your legitimate business before their blessing, say good bye to whatever stupid license you need to be in business. They can't manage to keep the streets paved but spent over $50 billion in foreign aid (2017).

I've decided to move from handguns to a rifle for the big party. I plan on owning just one. I have no experience with rifles. I would like the input from you NES rifle owners to buy the right one. I'm not really concerned with "battlefield" procurement of ammunition. With no prior military experience, I'm not likely to see the end of any hard times. I'll just stockpile one caliber to run the clock out with. I have the following criteria:

1. must be reliable with a minimum of cleaning and lubrication
2. disable an opponent wearing level 4 armor
3. most stopping power I can get while maintaining reasonable control
4. purchasable over the counter from a Massachusetts FFL
4. conversion to select fire without specialized gunsmith tools for when such laws cease to be relevant
5. what accessories are really practical/necessary for a civil war piece? bipod, scope, etc
6. if a type of rifle is made by multiple manufacturers, what are the names of the manufacturers that produce the better rifles.

Your thoughts, comrades.

If you really want one rifle for the end of civilized society then get an AR15. Tons of parts and mags.

Decide what you shoot best. Buy a few spare parts for it, then all the ammo and mags you can afford.

It's that simple, pretty much.

Last edited:
Whatever you choose, GET TRAINING. Rifle 101, get the basics down, practice at home and at the range. Rifle 102, same. Rifle 103, etc. Dont stop learning. You can dry fire and practice mag changes at home in your underwear for free.

As far as extras, dont get hung up on buying shit. A two point sling, a weapon light and maybe an optic. (Aimpoint/EOTech). Spare parts kit, mags, maybe a spare barrel for down the road. Set some money aside every month for ammo and buy more than you shoot. Build up a stockpile. Set some money aside every year for training, ideally more than once a year.

Focus on training and ammo rather than gucci b.s. to hang on your rifle.

true that, north. I learned the value of stockpiling about three months ago. Being a novice, I overpaid a bit during this shortage. Next shortage, though, I'll be an ammo dealer.

Really? Level IV? Go for head shots or look elsewhere. I quote:
“ Third, we observe that no common steel-cored armor piercing small arms ammunition below .50 caliber exceeds the penetrative ability of .30 M2 AP by a significant enough margin to defeat Level IV at combat ranges. The other two most significant steel-cored AP rounds in use are the Russian 7.62x54mmR B-32 Armor Piercing Incendiary, and 7.62x51mm NATO M61 Armor Piercing, neither of which exceeds the .30 M2 Ball in penetrative ability.” Retrieved from https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/223054.pdf

So, get a .50 or get a 10/22 and aim for the eyes.

Tinker, I'm not going for a headshot. If I hit a man sized target at 100 feet I'm ahead of the game. And I'm not saying kill either, just disable so that I can run away, even if it's just knocked down with rib fractures

Tinker, I'm not going for a headshot. If I hit a man sized target at 100 feet I'm ahead of the game. And I'm not saying kill either, just disable so that I can run away, even if it's just knocked down with rib fractures
Get training. Lots of places will loan you a rifle for the course if you dont have one.

It seems reasonable that any organized criminal gang that desires to fill a power vacuum would have level 4 armor and automatic weapons.

I have no experience with rifles.

.22LR rifle, probably 10/22 --> bolt action centerfire rifle --> semi-auto centerfire rifle. This will allow you to progressively grow as a shooter. The world's best and most accurate rifle won't be of any help to you if you don't know the fundamentals. So, start basic, learn, and have fun.

I plan on owning just one.

This is a bad idea unless you're:

*Extremely poor, like a college student, a retiree, disabled and unable to work, etc.;
*In an extremely confined living situation, in which case MOVE; or
*Someone who doesn't think of themselves as a "gun owner" and is more like a farmer or someone to whom a gun is only a tool and just a tool and not a hobby.

I'm not likely to see the end of any hard times.

Then, with that attitude, don't even bother with a gun. Preparedness starts with having the right mental attitude. You clearly lack this if you think you're immediately toast. People have survived very stressful situations before without prior military experience. Prior military experience can either be great, or in some cases, does absolutely nothing.

You have to believe in yourself. For that, you need confidence, which comes from progressively learning and achieving goals.

Well, if you’re not looking to defeat level IV armor but merely piss the wearer off, then M2AP (as stated above) is your best bet according to science.

some valid points there, stockwell. However, attitude must be tempered with reality. There's no online course that makes you a Navy SEAL. And though I may train regularly, all that training will not make me a difficult challenge for some gang-banger or government agent who has done a tour or two of real combat in some foreign cesspool. For me and most of the people here, I think, it will be a matter of just making a small splash on an ugly tapestry

I watched a couple AK build vids and it seems like you need a machine shop to do it right. Are AR's the same way or is it more like an assembly job?

some valid points there, stockwell. However, attitude must be tempered with reality. There's no online course that makes you a Navy SEAL. And though I may train regularly, all that training will not make me a difficult challenge for some gang-banger or government agent who has done a tour or two of real combat in some foreign cesspool. For me and most of the people here, I think, it will be a matter of just making a small splash on an ugly tapestry

You’re looking for an AR-10 or .308 pattern rifle. PTR91, C308, Tavor in .308? Those 3 are available over the counter or FTF in MA, no build necessary. There are 2 AR-10’s in the classifieds currently that I know of.

Dude, your posts clearly indicate no sense of reality.

First of all, where are Navy Seals coming from? Second, how do you know how proficient the typical criminal is with a gun? In my observations, they're borderline incompetent and dangers to themselves. Most don't even know what kind of ammo to put in a gun AND ITS WRITTEN ON THE DAMNED GUN. You're talking about "government agents" that do "tours of duty in some foreign" place. Guess what? Feds stay here, unless they have a DD214.

You want to get an AR-10 or a Barrett .50BMG as a first rifle? That's a lack of reality.

Back
Top Bottom