• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Civil War arms

Comrades, thank you for all the input.

Brewer, I haven't bought anything yet. I was going to build an ar10. However I know so little about quality parts I've decided to by a rifle outright. Probably an AR15.
I like the idea of both ar and ak (who wouldn't) but I'd rather have just one and become really proficient with it.

AR-10s/AR-308s/SR-25s have so many parts commonality issues and nuances that they should not be approached as a novice AR builder. 5.56 is easier to shoot, cheaper, has more capacity, and doesn’t have a downside to the AR-10 in New England. The distances you may need to shoot in NE aren’t really far like out west.

If you want an AR-10 later, go for it. But start with an AR-15 type rifle.

Mmmkay. I get it, but...

Nobody bum rushes a guy shooting a rifle into a group of rioters. They all go the other way. Then you use that time to break contact, so that when they DO come back to bum rush you... you're not there anymore.

It seems reasonable that any organized criminal gang that desires to fill a power vacuum would have level 4 armor and automatic weapons.

Automatic weapons are toys unless you have a logistics system to keep you supplied.

People weren't joking about head shots.

If you are talking about hitting a man sized target at 100 FEET and avoiding head shots, I'd suggest you invest in some training.

Normally,I'm very happy to provide guidance for a novice.

But I smell a troll.

Automatic weapons have their place - 30yards or less, against a massed enemy...….almost like these riots if they were to surround a home.

AR-10/AR-308/SR-25 are indeed squirrelly in respect to standards. I've had to grind, sand and 'convince' because some uppers just don't fit some lowers - even though they are from the same model family.

Automatic weapons have their place - 30yards or less, against a massed enemy...….almost like these riots if they were to surround a home.

AR-10/AR-308/SR-25 are indeed squirrelly in respect to standards. I've had to grind, sand and 'convince' because some uppers just don't fit some lowers - even though they are from the same model family.

A stationary massed enemy, you are still better off with semi-auto. In the event of a bayonet charge, full auto is certainly superior. ;-)

If rioters are massed on all sides of your house, you've already made a slew of mistakes. And even then, it's difficult for me to see how an MG helps you; it'll slay a bunch of people, sure, but you really just want them to go away, right? So find the loudest one and peg him in the head, then repeat until the rest go away.

I think a lot of people with no hands-on MG experience or training have no idea what they're good for. Establishing suppressive fire on the near side of your deadspace 500m out, using your guns in conjunction with wire obstacles to channelize movement, or figuring out an FPL are not exactly common tasks for the average homeowner.

Automatic weapons are toys unless you have a logistics system to keep you supplied.

People weren't joking about head shots.

If you are talking about hitting a man sized target at 100 FEET and avoiding head shots, I'd suggest you invest in some training.

Normally,I'm very happy to provide guidance for a novice.

But I smell a troll.

If rioters are massed on all sides of your house, you've already made a slew of mistakes. And even then, it's difficult for me to see how an MG helps you; it'll slay a bunch of people, sure, but you really just want them to go away, right? So find the loudest one and peg him in the head, then repeat until the rest go away.

I think a lot of people with no hands-on MG experience or training have no idea what they're good for. Establishing suppressive fire on the near side of your deadspace 500m out, using your guns in conjunction with wire obstacles to channelize movement, or figuring out an FPL are not exactly common tasks for the average homeowner.

This is 100% a troll thread. Its been three, four weeks - he could've bought a .22 by now for relatively cheap money or an AR lower in Mass by perusing the WTS ads here. There was a Mass FFL openly selling lowers in this very sub-forum recently. The levels of 4chan weirdness, the whole lack of reality, everything just screams that he's:

(a) not actually going to buy anything;
(b) trying to stir up... something?; and
(c) not coming up with a realistic home or self defense plan.

Back
Top Bottom