• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Checking if a handgun is loaded

I was taught to visually and "physically" check to see if there is a round in the chamber. Twice.
By physically, with an open slide and a finger inserted.

I'm teaching a couple newbies informally tonight about some safety things. I'm debating on the "physically" part. Thoughts on this?

Show them every way possible, explain the differences and benefits of each and stress the potential conscequence of a ND. Safety can never be over taught.

Last edited:
It is surprisingly easy to see what you expect to see, especially when tired or distracted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No longer is it acceptable to stick your finger into the breach of a firearm. the slide could release while your finger is in the breach and cause injury. At one time this was the normal way to check a firearm, no longer is this taught. Visual inspection only now.

It is surprisingly easy to see what you expect to see, especially when tired or distracted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This x 1000!!

The mind often sees what it expects to see.

Remember--There's no such thing as an unloaded gun!

The only thing that matters is the loaded chamber indicator, it is a failsafe safety mechanism /s

Seriously though, rack, inspect, finger. I've never failed the finger test, but I have a friend who I watched clear his rifle at the range and then proceeded to fire off a round because the chamber was deeper than he thought, he had a bad extractor, and light was not with him. 4 rules were applied, there were no injuries other than pride.

Teaching them to safely visually inspect to see if the chamber is loaded should be sufficient. I have not heard of physically checking the chamber after I have visually determined that it is empty. Plus it would be hard to get my finger into a .22 chamber...[wink]

I physically check the chamber on all my guns accept the 10-22 and the Henry lever action just because it is impossible to get my finger in the chamber on those. All other guns I feel for a round and also look.

No longer is it acceptable to stick your finger into the breach of a firearm. the slide could release while your finger is in the breach and cause injury. At one time this was the normal way to check a firearm, no longer is this taught. Visual inspection only now.

lol who determines what's "acceptable"?

Last edited:

This is why I don't do it. I'd mention the pinky method and explain why I don't do it.

Got my license about 5 years ago and was taught to visually and physically check the chamber. I like physically checking since my safe is in a low light area and I like having the double check system. I still have all my fingers.

I like physically checking since my safe is in a low light area and I like having the double check system. I still have all my fingers.

You don't store them loaded in the safe?

When required, physical and visual inspection.

In the safe, if it's in a holster it's loaded and treated accordingly. If it's not in a holster, it's treated as if it were.

I was taught to visually and "physically" check to see if there is a round in the chamber. Twice.

I'm teaching a couple newbies informally tonight about some safety things. I'm debating on the "physically" part. Thoughts on this?

I think that you are confusing two different procedures- 1) checking to see if there is a round in the chamber and 2) clearing a gun to make sure there is no rounds in the gun.

If I am checking to confirm if there is a round in the chamber, I simply pull the slide back a fraction of an inch until I can see the chambered round, then ease the slide forward again. Just something I started doing before shooting an IDPA or USPSA stage.

When clearing a gun- drop the mag first, rack the slide to clear any round, then I will put my finger in the mag well and do a visual in the chamber. I keep the gun in this condition if I am handing it to another person, or temporarily putting it down on a bench. If I am holstering or putting the gun away, I would put the slide forward, aim the gun in a safe direction and pull the trigger.

Gun safety and human habits go hand in hand. It's best to develop the safest procedures and then do it 100% of the time.

Do you have any spent casings? It's easy to tell someone to verify that the chamber is empty but they've probably never seen a loaded chamber. Again, make sure they are indeed spent casings and chamber them so they can see what it looks like. Some people need the visual to grasp the idea.

Every instructor I've had insisted on us checking physically with our finger.

Do all of this, then tell them to always treat it as if it were loaded anyhow.

First I've ever heard this.

Do you have any spent casings? It's easy to tell someone to verify that the chamber is empty but they've probably never seen a loaded chamber. Again, make sure they are indeed spent casings and chamber them so they can see what it looks like. Some people need the visual to grasp the idea.

Good point! Show them what to look for, both "good" and "bad". People need to be aware six ways to Sunday.

One time, I put a mag in an unloaded gun, removed the mag, then racked it open. Yup, an unfired round popped out![thinking][rolleyes][shocked]

It somehow fed itself into the chamber, just by inserting the mag. Go figure. All other safety rules were followed, so no problems.

If you can do it, do it. On a 12-ga pump.....makes sense

If you can't, or it's pointless (for instance on a High Standard 22,or a break-action shottie, where it's painfully obvious), don't.

That said, if you're really teaching (formal, as opposed to a Newb Range Day), teach what you think right, and when they're big enough to have their own toys, they can make up their own minds.

Yeah I guess I'm not keeping up with the new acceptability rules then. I quadruple check guns, both visually and physically (yes sticking my pinky into the chamber), and rack several times in between, before assuming the gun is unloaded "enough" to do whatever I'm about to do with it. And I'm a guy who is a card carrying member of the Garand thumb club.

In one of the several courses we took at GOAL with Jon Green he related a story about a course he taught. He handed a gun to a student and asked him to verify the gun was unloaded. This was after Jon had done his usual safety checks. The student looked and said that there was a round in there. Jon thought the student was messing with him and didn't initially believe him, but took the gun back anyway and sure enough there was a round in the gun. I don't recall if it was live or dummy, probably dummy. Maybe Jon can chime in here and clarify the details, but that story convinced me that you NEVER know what you think you know about unloaded guns.

Baloney

I think that you are confusing two different procedures- 1) checking to see if there is a round in the chamber and 2) clearing a gun to make sure there is no rounds in the gun.

If I am checking to confirm if there is a round in the chamber, I simply pull the slide back a fraction of an inch until I can see the chambered round, then ease the slide forward again. Just something I started doing before shooting an IDPA or USPSA stage.

When clearing a gun- drop the mag first, rack the slide to clear any round, then I will put my finger in the mag well and do a visual in the chamber. I keep the gun in this condition if I am handing it to another person, or temporarily putting it down on a bench. If I am holstering or putting the gun away, I would put the slide forward, aim the gun in a safe direction and pull the trigger.

Gun safety and human habits go hand in hand. It's best to develop the safest procedures and then do it 100% of the time.

This is what I was wondering as well. Making sure a gun that should be loaded IS loaded, or making sure that if it shouldn't be loaded that it ISN'T loaded? Press check to make sure it is loaded, rack rack rack, visual/physical check to make sure it's not loaded.

Sig Academy hasn't got the memo apparently.

This is what I was wondering as well. Making sure a gun that should be loaded IS loaded, or making sure that if it shouldn't be loaded that it ISN'T loaded? Press check to make sure it is loaded, rack rack rack, visual/physical check to make sure it's not loaded.

Yup, the latter.
Ensuring a gun is cleared.
I do have orange dummy rounds which I intend to use as well. Thanks for the feedback so far fellas

^ This

I never have and never will stick my finger when slide is locked back.

What total ****ing idiot teaches this crock?

Is there some spike in gun owners going to the ER with cuts on their finger that we are unaware of?

Last edited:
I don't physically check the chamber of guns, and avoid sticking my fingers in there. It's not like it was an 'acceptability memo' that went out lol. I only own a couple handguns. They get shot a decent amount, and go into battery pretty easy. I don't like chambering my digits. Other people are free to do whatever floats their boat.

What I DO teach is to always look for brass... never look for an empty chamber. Like someone said earlier. The brain is funny in that it will find what you tell it to look for very often.

never heard of anyone getting their finger caught in the breech.

Checking visually and physically is always the recommended procedure.

Of course, do whatever you want, just don't shoot me if you miss one of the checks.

Back
Top Bottom