• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cheaper 1911s

SKS Ray

NES Member
I was considering doing some trading with a dealer and was checking out some 1911 styles he had. I know everybody has a preference but keep in mind this isn't something for carry, just an occasional range trip now and then and something to go along with the M1A1 Thompson I picked up last year. The first one I noticed was an Auto Ordnance one in the $450 range, next was a Rock Island that I can't remember the price on.

I don't want something fancy looking with fancy sights, grips, etc. I just want a WW2 style knock off that won't make me want to throw it at the berm due to function issues. Any opinions on either model?

My step-father has a Rock Island and likes it. I don't know much about the 1911 platform but it looked pretty authentic to me. We were shooting UMC bulk .45 without any FTF/FTE issues.

A work buddy has a rock island. Says it's a decent entry level 1911. He knows guns, he's just frugal and did a lot of research. He had some issues with it early on, went to warranty repair, but yeah, he's happy with it.

Remington's that where made in Ilion NY are OK, but a jump up to at leat the Ruger SR1911 would be my recommendation if your trying to stay "cheap"

Im no fan at all of Remington, but their early 1911 where ok .

I'm not a huge ruger fan either, bit they at least stand behind their product when they screw it up. (I can't say the same about anything freedom group, rock island ect.)

Last edited:
My dad has a auto ordnance and a tommy gun.
I was looking at them before I got my Remington . Only reason I didn't get one for my first gun and went with the Remington was cause 4s didn't have it in stock.

I've shot his 1911 a lot and never had a problem.

My friend bought the AO 1911a1.... used ,only because it looked just like his Grandfathers. Hes not a gun guy and doubt he does much of anything to it. His grandfather told him...... Dont screw around now 230gn round nose ammo only. I have seen him put a few hundred rounds down range in one sitting and it runs. Even with these cheap ass 12$ plastic mags he found. He usually calls me with any issues and he never mentions the 1911.... 10/22 well he got a jamaholic

i had an auto ordnance 1911 for a while. nifty little gun. shot pretty well. once it broke in was reliable. however, the sights are historically "accurate" meaning not dovetailed and straight black. basically they suuuuuucked.

personally if i were looking for a budget 1911 I would want something with dovetailed sights. the ruger SR1911 and RIA models look nice. again if it's dovetailed at least it gives the option to swap out sights. i've found most 1911s are so damn accurate it's a shame to be limited because of sight picture. YMMV.

I love my AO 1911 and would buy it again in a heartbeat. It gets at least as much range time as my sexy SW1911sc.
Just something about that ww2 look/feel...and it's made locally.

One thing to consider when buying a "budget" 1911 is that the options that you want, like decent sights, will cost you a lot more when installed by a gunsmith at a later date. A more expensive gun with all of the options you want will be less expensive than the "budget gun" in the long run.

Also when considering a purchase, try to get some feed back from a shooter. Someone who has put 5000+ rounds through the gun.

I have a Auto Ordnance from Kahr. Stay away from any West Hurley made guns. They were made with what ever parts Numrich had on the shelf at the time. On my AO I had some trigger work done and it now shoots as good as any other 1911 I own. I hear the Rock Islands are good also. If you want to try the AO drop me a note and we'll get together.

I had a Remington R1 basic WW2 set up worked great. But if you want budget then auto ordnance is what you want.

A friend has an AO 1911. It is a decent gun for the money. I personally dont like the sights with my eyes but other than that is is a bargain at ~$500.

Lol, nobody reads his post... he said "WWII style" that certainly ain't a Ruger SR1911. Even the R1 doesn't really qualify. (the sights and safety lever too modern, etc.

Best of that lot really is Springfield 1911A1. They're under $800 on GB.

If it's gotta be cheaper I would probably get the RIA. Less people bitch about them than the AOs, although supposedly the newer Kahr produced AO's are non-shit guns. The ones from 10 years ago were ****ing junk. (on average).

-Mike

I don't want something fancy looking with fancy sights, grips, etc. I just want a WW2 style knock off that won't make me want to throw it at the berm due to function issues. Any opinions on either model?

Based on this requirement, I'd say that the Ruger, S&W, etc are all ruled out. I bought a AO for shooint AZSA. I wanted exactly the same type of 1911. Something as historically accurate as I could get (without spending a fortune). I bought the AO. I've got maybe a thousand rounds through it. Never had an issue. As for the sights, they don't bother me. But then again I don't shoot bullseye.

Aloha

Ok, so Mike types faster than I do. As Mike and Knob Creek pointed out, the newer AO's are much better than the older ones. Another option STI.

Last edited:
For a GI style hardball only gun, the Auto Ordance made by Kahr in Worcester should fill the bill nicely. I have one and have never had problems with it. The only FTFs have been with old GI magazines and I had the same problems with the same mags in my Colt and Ruger.

Best buy in a factory 1911 right now IMO: Ruger, but like Mike said, not a WWII type 1911 (actually the Auto Ord uses the Series 80 Firing Pin system)

A RIA 1911 is on my list. Good value for the price.
Info is they are made in the Phillipines on Colt tooling/machines?
Sent during the war...... I have not confirmed this so, YMMV.

I have one of the new AO A1s, got about 700 rounds thru it. as long as I feed it ball there have been no issues with mine, but that's nothing new.

I wound up getting the RIA 1911A for $420 from Pullman arms, PLUS (not sure if its still in effect) RIA/Armscor was running a $50 rebate. $370 for the gun, and not one single issue after 500+ rounds.

A RIA 1911 is on my list. Good value for the price.
Info is they are made in the Phillipines on Colt tooling/machines?
Sent during the war...... I have not confirmed this so, YMMV.

Since the Japanese invaded the Philippines in 1941 and occupied it to 1945 I don't think Colt sent over any tooling during WWII.

Remington R1. Combines some bits of the WWI and WWII designs into a pretty basic classic-looking pistol.

Lol, nobody reads his post... he said "WWII style" that certainly ain't a Ruger SR1911. Even the R1 doesn't really qualify. (the sights and safety lever too modern, etc.

Best of that lot really is Springfield 1911A1. They're under $800 on GB.

If it's gotta be cheaper I would probably get the RIA. Less people bitch about them than the AOs, although supposedly the newer Kahr produced AO's are non-shit guns. The ones from 10 years ago were ****ing junk. (on average).

-Mike

I thought the r1 basic is a combo of m1911 and m1911a1 style parts with new sights and lowered ejection port .

That said ria or kahr made ap.

Or sarco parts kit lol .....

I'm not sure how important historical accuracy is to the OP. I sure wouldn't want a 1911 with WWII style sights. Also, most of the cheaper 1911 have cast frames which isn't really true to history (though functionally fine I'm sure). I compromised with a parkerized Springfield Armory, which looks pretty transitional but has 3 dot sights.

Edit: Seems SA only makes the mil-spec model in Stainless now.

Last edited:
I wound up getting the RIA 1911A for $420 from Pullman arms, PLUS (not sure if its still in effect) RIA/Armscor was running a $50 rebate. $370 for the gun, and not one single issue after 500+ rounds.

Thats a nice deal. How many mags did the RIA come with?
i myself preferred the more WW2 GI looking AO without the big bold "Rock Island" engravings on the slide which I thought detracted from the appearance.

I shot my buddys Auto Ordnance that he got right after Sandy Hook when nothing else was on the shelf. Easily the biggest POS I have ever shot. Jams all the time and the sights are terrible.

Back
Top Bottom