• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911s: Appropriate Size for OWB CC?

I don't own one yet but have been itching for one lately. Would be most often used as a CC piece in OWB holster. I already own a P220 so it would be a functional duplicate but whatever.

So commander or full size? Anything else to consider?

I've got a commander size Springfield. No problem with OWB CC, especially this time of year. It was my regular cold weather carry until I got my LC9s one summer and never bothered to change over.

I've got all three sizes, plus a 938; for OWB, any will work. Get a decent belt. I shoot well with all of them, but I think if I had to pick a favorite it'd be the officer size.

I'm not sure that size,i.e. length, is a major concern. I do know that my Light Weight Commander, at 28 oz, is more comfortable for all day carry.

If you are considering a 1911 for a carry option, I would recommend looking at the S&W 1911 PD. This Scandium frame guns weighs 829g (with empty mag.), compared to 1029g for my series 80 Colt Combat Commander (steel frame, with empty mag). Comparing that to a modern polymer 8 round gun, the HK45C weighs 810g. So the S&W starts to get close to the polymer gun's weight advantage with all the classic 1911 features.

Of course, with a good belt and holster, they are all very manageable all day. But, if you are going to choose one, I'd suggest that weight is always a factor to consider.

Chris

I like the sig or springfield commander 1911's. My full size sig 1911 has been an absolute beast and 100% reliable through thousands of rounds. Since youre not subject to MA BS, I dont see much reason to purchase a S&W 1911.

Thanks guys. I love the size of the full size but maybe that's only suitable for home defense and range duty.

Saw some "defender" and "officer" sized ones and think they are too small. Like the fuller length grips on a "commander".

As a Sig fan boy, it pains me to read about more than a handful of bad reviews. I still have Sig in the running, but considering an SR1911, R1, and a Springfield RO. Those all seem to be value priced too. Not looking to spend north of $1k.

The R1 series is excellent bang for the buck, but you're in NH: why not get a Colt? They should be south of $1000.

Ive got the S&W 1911sc as well, and it's outstanding. The round butt makes OWB carry a breeze. For the way I'm built, the toughest part of a 1911 to conceal is the grip heel. Either a round butt or an officer grip works best for me.

I lover the looks of the SR1911, and it's a Series 70 based model. Might end up with a government/fullsize and if it's too big, get the commander/carry size.

Love my commander and full size... clearly the only answer is to get various sizes

Back
Top Bottom