• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Affordable 1911s that aren't trash

puška m70

NES Member
I'm interested in getting my first 1911. Maybe 9mm maybe 45. Pretty ignorant on thia platform of handgun.

Wondering what the word is on decent 1911s that aren't crap. I've heard some of the Rock Island Armory and foreign mafe ones are questionable. How about the Springfield Armory Garrison series? Seems like a traditionally styled 1911 with modern sights.

I'd like a good, reliable gun that isn't an uber expensive handmade competition gun but not something crap that isn't "Shtf-able" ready.

Any advice is appreciated.

I think a similar thread showed up about this topic, like, within the past month or two.

Yeah. Here it is.

I doubt anyone has much to add here that wasn't already added there. Like that other OP, you'll need to define "affordable."

For an entry level gun the RIA is not bad, I don't now if I would carry a 1911, but for a plinker they seem to function just fine.

Who told you they were not good?

I'd take a RIA over the comparable Remington entry level 1911 all day long.

What is it you want to do with it?

Colt 1911 Competition in 9mm. Bought online in 2019 for about 850. Excellent gun. Great shooter. Very reliable. Shot
many competitions with it. Very happy

I think a similar thread showed up about this topic, like, within the past month or two.

Yeah. Here it is.

I doubt anyone has much to add here that wasn't already added there. Like that other OP, you'll need to define "affordable."

I'm just in the research stage right now, but I'd say perhaps 7-1100

Luckily you are in NH, because the MA available Colt 1911's , at least new are limited to a few offerings at best.

there are Colt's available in that price range but I have a sneaking suspicion the MSRP on Colt's website is lower than what dealers are trying to get for them

I would recommend Colts in 45 ACP for what I consider the real experience. My recommendation for a defense gun might vary. Depends on your use case.

I would recommend Colts in 45 ACP for what I consider the real experience. My recommendation for a defense gun might vary. Depends on your use case.
I see. I do not want any firearm that cannot be used reliably in a self-defense, heck even SHTF Apocolyptic scenario. Don't want to own fussy guns.

I see. I do not want any firearm that cannot be used reliably in a self-defense, heck even SHTF Apocolyptic scenario. Don't want to own fussy guns.

I've owned many 1911s.

I usually recommend a S&W E-series SC bobtail as a "best-value" 1911 for those who don't mind a modern look. If you want to go old-skool, there are many options available and a lot of them share all the same flaws the originals had; according to many soldiers who used GI 1911s, they weren't always the most reliable option...

As usual, I'll tell you that IMO, if you want a rail or a firearm in 9mm, then you don't really want a 1911.

Still haven’t had a jam in my circa ~2014 Ruger 1911. I had a colt what a piece of crap. In fairness I bought it second hand after it was modified by a well known local 1911 gunsmith - probably an older one, had a lot of internal wear. Still the experience turned me off from colts. I had a ria that jammed a lot. Also had a S&W, bought new, and out of the box, the hammer would sometime drop to half-cocked upon slide release. Just had to bend the shear spring a bit, but doing so, you realize how old the tech is, and why they aren’t always known for being super reliable. If you buy a standard 70 or 80s series, and not a sig or something proprietary, there are plenty of aftermarket parts though. If you like to tinker, and are mechanical, heck you may be able to get any of them working OK.

Do people no longer recommend the Ruger SR1911 as a good poor man's first 1911? Made in murikuh. Investment cast frame, internal extractor no ugly S&W external bar and series 70 style guts. I remember when it first came out everyone was trying to get one. Best of all, Maura approves!

My Citadel brand "Tactical" 1911 (Armscor/RIA, essentially the same as Hickock45 was shooting) has never missed a beat with anything from mil standard 230 ball to hot 165 Corbon wide-mouths. Bud's now lists it for just over $700, but I bought mine for $300 in 2013.

It came with two blue standard mags. I added an 8 round CMC and two 10 round CMCs, and I have a half dozen blued 8 rounders. It's not picky. It just works.

One of these days I'll replace the Novak sights with three-dots or night sights, and eliminate the ambi safety (it always irritates the knuckle of my trigger finger).

GI experience with service weapons is never a good measure of a gun's actual worth. For the most part, those opinions are uninformed yet full of unwarranted certitude. In the 1980s I was issued a 1911 with a WWII date of manufacture, and I have no idea how many times it was reworked. Holstering it sounded like I was playing maracas. But it still worked, all the time. It was not a bullseye gun (and was not designed as one). I was never impressed with the M16A1/A2, until well after I was out of the Army and came to love the AR platform.

Oh, they’re reliable. And plenty capable. It’s just that now that modern 9mm loads give about the same performance as 45 acp, I’d probably recommend 9mm for something that’s strictly for self defense. But I find it cringeworthy in a 1911. Then again, I used to find all plastic pistols cringeworthy. But I’ve since put the 1911s on range toy duty and switched to 9mm glocks for defensive purposes.

I have several 1911's that have never once malfunctioned. But I have also never shot more than 300-400 rounds through any gun without a thorough cleaning and lubing.
The thing about carrying a full sized 1911, especially in 45acp, is that you never feel under gunned. The confidence that the long barrel and sweet trigger give you is very reassuring.
Would it be the gun I holstered if the SHTF? Hell no. But going out to the mall, or to church, or just around town it's pretty cool knowing that if you can see a target, you can put a big ass piece of lead in it. It's not an EDC for most because its so big and heavy, but once you spend a little time with one, you will understand.

I've 4 1911s in 9mm Ruger Lightweight,S&W,RIA and Springfield Armory and all ha e been very reliable.
All nut the Ruger are full size,magazines from Tripp,Metalform,Wilson have been very reliable. The Ruger is the one I can shoot best and the one thing the others don't have is the plunger tube is integral part of the frame don't have to worry about it coming loose,had that happen with a Gold Cup in 45 acp.

This might be considered a terrible answer by some, but it has worked for me consistently for over 20 years.

Pick up the gun you want - I think a Colt Cup GCNM is a great start. Send it to a guy like Dave Santurri and get it adjusted how ever you want - a trigger job, bushing, general going over the action, a thumb safety that isn't stupid, maybe a beaver tail, maybe something else. You will take a good gun to an incredible gun and the money will be reasonable.

For an entry level gun the RIA is not bad, I don't now if I would carry a 1911, but for a plinker they seem to function just fine.

Who told you they were not good?

I'd take a RIA over the comparable Remington entry level 1911 all day long.

What is it you want to do with it?
The Vietnam era marine guy I met down here in NC carries one these RIAs. This guy uses a walker and is an absolute hoot.. also and was an old school cab over truck driver.

This might be considered a terrible answer by some, but it has worked for me consistently for over 20 years.

Pick up the gun you want - I think a Colt Cup GCNM is a great start. Send it to a guy like Dave Santurri and get it adjusted how ever you want - a trigger job, bushing, general going over the action, a thumb safety that isn't stupid, maybe a beaver tail, maybe something else. You will take a good gun to an incredible gun and the money will be reasonable.
Anyone flinting will never, ever do that 🤣

I wasn’t sure if affordable just meant something other than a $5k Wilson Brown 1911 Atlas Customhawk BBQ Gun Elite.

Back
Top Bottom