Call for ban on 'bump stocks'

It's shocking to see how quickly and easily so many are willing to give up something that has been formally blessed by BATFE for all these years. Hopefully we're seeing the last of this bullshit "please, take away our ______" mentality, but I doubt it.

Not sure if this has been posted but Gunbroker is now blocking listings for bump stocks.

https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002532494

Too Bad. I was casually cruising by, from time to time, just to watch the lunacy level bidding on them .....and chuckle.

(Well, at least you can still watch the Surefire 100-count mags going at FR Bidding on GB).

LINK: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/06/report-bump-stocks-high-capacity-magazines-in-high-demand.html

.... TMZ reported that SureFire, a California-based company, sold out of the $149 60-round magazine and the $189 100-round magazine.

Last edited:
I've got the site opened in another tab and there's still 6 pages of slidefires for sale. Don't know where you're looking but the sales and bidding is still strong.

BTW your link is fail.

Maybe they rescinded the decision? There was a link at the top of their page with the announcement and it seems to be gone now.

Site hack possibly? Anyway, glad to see the craziness back on. [laugh] If I can find where I put mine, it's going up for sale. I'll be a rich man!!! [grin]

Seriously. I was keeping an eye to see if it made sense to sell mine that I was probably never going to use anyway. Only bought it since Bump Fire Systems was able to get the price point down to $100.

Maybe they rescinded the decision? There was a link at the top of their page with the announcement and it seems to be gone now.

Maybe, or they realized that they'd be losing lots of money considering what they're selling for and how many listings are on the board. 278 listings was the count at last check here.

I was wondering when this would spread to being a state thing.

By the end of next week, I fully expect to see NY, CA, CT, NJ, and all of the other gun grabbing states joining in.
Amazing how the political landscape (Re: 2A) can change overnight... only takes one sicko/terrorist... and there is not a damn thing we can do about it. [thinking]

even the elderly are giving in to the pressure....

Screenshot_20171005-164152-325208.JPG

I don't understand why everyone is caving. Is it strictly an attempt to make gun owners seem reasonable, in the hope that the politicians and media don't go after other gun stuff? Do people not realize that the gun grabbers won't stop until only the government has guns, and that throwing them this bone will do exactly nothing to satiate them? Are all these people in full support of the NFA?

I don't understand why everyone is caving. Is it strictly an attempt to make gun owners seem reasonable, in the hope that the politicians and media don't go after other gun stuff? Do people not realize that the gun grabbers won't stop until only the government has guns, and that throwing them this bone will do exactly nothing to satiate them? Are all these people in full support of the NFA?
As I've said, I don't get it either. I've never seen the surrender flag go up so quickly and so prominently ever before. I'm trying hard to figure out why... and can't. [thinking] I guess the left has just worn some of us down to the point where those weaker folks among us just don't care any longer. Either that or they actually think that the left has changed and no longer wants to screw all of us to the wall. (Hint: They still do.)

Amazing how the political landscape (Re: 2A) can change overnight... only takes one sicko/terrorist... and there is not a damn thing we can do about it. [thinking]

Not to mention, it only takes someone with a little skill, a 3D printer, and some plastic and you just gave the black market another money maker.

I was wondering when this would spread to being a state thing.

By the end of next week, I fully expect to see NY, CA, CT, NJ, and all of the other gun grabbing states joining in.

You ain't kidding. The deep blue states will be racing each other to see who can hump this doorknob first.

After Sandy Hook, Cuomo and NY had to do it in the middle of the night to make sure they beat everyone to the punch. MA kinda lumbers along usually. Was the MA record for the "upskirt law", I'd bet that was one of the fastest? At this point I'm just wondering if the BATFE beats everyone to the punch. Hell, some of these states may even pass a law anyway.

It's hard to tell when we're in the middle of it, but it definitely seems like this is a way bigger deal than the previous ones. I suppose it's not surprising given the number of people killed/injured.

Society can change profoundly very quickly. 9/11 was obviously several orders of magnitude worse than this, but it fundamentally altered the way the country looks at the fourth amendment forever.

As I've said, I don't get it either. I've never seen the surrender flag go up so quickly and so prominently ever before. I'm trying hard to figure out why... and can't. I guess the left has just worn some of us down to the point where those weaker folks among us just don't care any longer. Either that or they actually think that the left has changed and no longer wants to screw all of us to the wall. (Hint: They still do.)

I'm actually having just as much trouble understanding people who are willing to fall on their sword for this.

To be clear, I don't support a ban on bump stocks.

I definitely get people's arguments - that vague wording in a potential piece of legislation could **** us. That the NRA is massively overstating the capabilities of bump stocks in a very unfortunate way. At the same time, I think you're massively overplaying your hand saying that people think the left isn't out to take our gun rights away just because they aren't driving to DC over bump stocks. On one hand people are saying they're range toys of limited use and effectiveness, on the other that it's a core second amendment issue.

Just because something isn't that great doesn't mean the government should ban it, obviously, but at the same time there is a ton of shit going on that is way more deserving of people's attention and effort than ****ing bump stocks. The SJC giving a ruling on AWBs would be one of those things. THAT, to me is a core second amendment issue. Repealing the Hughes amendment is a core second amendment issue, as opposed to protecting a crappy simulation of what we should be able to purchase. The MA proposal to outlaw preban mags, that is a HUGE ****ing deal.

For the people who view bump stocks as a deal breaker - why not organize a rally? I would probably show up despite not being as concerned about this as others.

It's hard to tell when we're in the middle of it, but it definitely seems like this is a way bigger deal than the previous ones. I suppose it's not surprising given the number of people killed/injured.

I think one reason this got so big, and got a lot of traction, was because unlike some previous events, this one
was captured on dozens (hundreds?), of cellphones, providing millions of views on YouTube and the media.

It gave people more of a sense what it must been like being there, and they're responding to it.

Momentum builds for bump stock ban in Massachusetts

A ban on bump stocks, which the Las Vegas shooter may have used to boost the death toll as he fired away from a suite in a high-rise hotel at a concert crowd below, is gathering bipartisan momentum at the Massachusetts State House.

A day after Gov. Charlie Baker said he would sign a ban, Massachusetts House and Senate Republicans said they also back a prohibition on bump stocks and "trigger cranks," with possible life imprisonment for people who violate the ban.

Bump stocks and trigger cranks allow automatic rapid fire for rifles and shotguns, according to supporters of a ban.

"We want to outlaw these devices and prevent anyone from trying to circumvent the automatic weapons laws of our state," said Bruce Tarr, a Gloucester Republican and the minority leader in the state Senate.

"Many members of my caucus are ready to move forward and invite others to support this bill," he added. "The bill makes using a device to cause the rapid fire of a weapon illegal and it will subject an offender to a potential of life in prison."

House Speaker Robert DeLeo, D-Winthrop, indicated he wants to move quickly as a spokesman told the State House News Service they're aiming to fast-track a ban.

House Minority Leader Brad Jones, a North Reading Republican, said the state already has the "strictest gun laws in the nation" and a bump stock ban would "close a significant loophole" spotlighted by the massacre in Las Vegas.

"Bump stocks serve no legitimate purpose, and this bill will see to it that these deadly devices are banned in Massachusetts," he said in a statement.

NRA calls for regulations on 'bump stocks,' rapid-fire devices
NRA calls for regulations on 'bump stocks,' rapid-fire devices
The NRA opposes most gun regulation.

Rep. David Linsky, a Natick Democrat, has filed his own bill earlier this week.

The Gun Owners Action League, a Massachusetts group linked to the National Rifle Association, has not formally weighed in with a stance on legislation, though they did post to Twitter the NRA's statement on gun stocks.

NRA statement on bumpstocks pic.twitter.com/xMkCrX4zgc

-- GOAL (@GOALupdate) October 5, 2017

http://www.masslive.com/politics/in..._builds_for_bump_stock.html#incart_river_home

--------
So if they ban them, then what?

Will owners be compensated if they turn them in?

Nobody is talking about grandfathering which is the legal answer.

Society can change profoundly very quickly. 9/11 was obviously several orders of magnitude worse than this, but it fundamentally altered the way the country looks at the fourth amendment forever.

I'm actually having just as much trouble understanding people who are willing to fall on their sword for this.

To be clear, I don't support a ban on bump stocks.

I definitely get people's arguments - that vague wording in a potential piece of legislation could **** us. That the NRA is massively overstating the capabilities of bump stocks in a very unfortunate way. At the same time, I think you're massively overplaying your hand saying that people think the left isn't out to take our gun rights away just because they aren't driving to DC over bump stocks. On one hand people are saying they're range toys of limited use and effectiveness, on the other that it's a core second amendment issue.

Just because something isn't that great doesn't mean the government should ban it, obviously, but at the same time there is a ton of shit going on that is way more deserving of people's attention and effort than ****ing bump stocks. The SJC giving a ruling on AWBs would be one of those things. THAT, to me is a core second amendment issue. Repealing the Hughes amendment is a core second amendment issue, as opposed to protecting a crappy simulation of what we should be able to purchase. The MA proposal to outlaw preban mags, that is a HUGE ****ing deal.

For the people who view bump stocks as a deal breaker - why not organize a rally? I would probably show up despite not being as concerned about this as others.

For me it's more of a posture and principle thing. BATFE has previously given bump fire stocks their blessing. Thousands have been manufactured and sold in reliance on that ruling. Do we give up whatever the gunman du jour happens to be using just like that? I realize these stocks are meaningless in the scheme of things, but why lay them at the feet of the gungrabbers as some sort of appeasement? What do we get in return? Does this buy us time until the next shooting? Do we expect it to head off legislation that contains other provisions, i.e. we expect Trump and congress to vote and sign a law that covers more than bump fires?

This isn't falling on our sword for slidefires, it's choosing not to roll over and urinate all overselves because some nutjob killed a bunch of people (inefficiently). We may well be forced onto our swords in the near future regardless of this concession, which does nothing more than make us look weak and guilty. If the NRA and the powers that be wanted to sacrifice bump fire stocks in the course of negotiating for suppressors, or reciprocity or whatever I'd be less offended by the whole exercise.

Last edited:
Come on, guys. Don’t be so naive. When John Q Public hears something that sounds like a machine gun, he’s going to freak the F out. NONE of those sheeple wants to hear a technical explanation about how bump stocks aren’t “real”machine guns; they’ll listen to your jargon, then listen to something that sounds like D-Day, and which sound do you think they’ll find more compelling?

OF COURSE we know banning bumpfires is stupid. OF COURSE that knowledge doesn’t matter.

No way would Congress or the ATF fail to restrict bumpfires. No way. Wake up, guys; once more, we’ve lost the PR battle, this time to 58 bodies and the sounds of an MG.

If you didn’t see the calls for a ban succeeding, then you’re plain not being realistic. And yes, it’s not a particularly good hill to die on for the NRA.

The issue is that "gun owners" (as represented by the NRA apparently) are the ones pushing the ban and self-punishing, as if there's some sort of shared responsibility for the nutjob's actions. That's just shitty strategy, not to mention that it makes the NRA look weak (and guilty). Maybe the NRA has been feeling self-conscious after decades of cast as this massive baby-killing machine by the hysterical left and feels it needs to show some weakness by asking BATFE to change its mind and give us yet another restriction.

Last edited:
Thank god that after the virtue signalers ban bumpskis , they will have cured the mass shooting problem, and leave us alone.

The issue is that "gun owners" (as represented by the NRA apparently) are the ones pushing the ban and self-punishing, as if there's some sort of shared responsibility for the nutjob's actions. That's just shitty strategy, not to mention that it makes the NRA look weak (and guilty). Maybe the NRA has been feeling self-conscious after decades of cast as this massive baby-killing machine by the hysterical left and feels it needs to show some weakness by asking BATFE to change its mind and give us yet another restriction.

Honest question.

Say this decision by the NRA makes a neutral or two feel more favorable about guns. Hell, say even a mild anti or two grudgingly admits the NRA is “right this time.”

Do you not see how that kind of PR has value for the NRA? Especially when the ban was GOING TO be a losing battle?

You fight it, you look like a bunch of reactionaries, and you lose anyway.. You go with the ban, you still lose, but you appear more reasonable. How is that not the better outcome?

Last edited:
Honest question.

Say this decision by the NRA makes a neutral or two feel more favorable about guns. Hell, say even a mild anti or two grudgingly admits the NRA is “right this time.”

Do you not see how that kind of PR has value for the NRA? Especially when the ban was GOING TO be a losing battle?

The NRA's move here isn't winning them any converts. That's fantasy. The lines were dug long before this week. Anyone not in a trench is too clueless to matter, but for every neutral whose favorability rating for the NRA went up 2% there are 5 diehard antis who smell blood in the water.

And what value does the NRA get from basically admitting that the equipment shared some of the blame for the 59 lives? How does that position help them when the next shooting happens? What did we all stand to lose through a ban that wasn't just voluntarily sacrificed by the NRA, 3/4 of this forum, and every Fudd from Maine to California?

Back
Top Bottom