Boston Globe: Weapons Check

"When you get a driver's license, you practice driving," says Sergeant Paul Cullinane, Brookline's identification/firearms licensing supervisor. "This is the chief's way of saying you need to get a little practice if you're going to get a license to carry. This isn't the Wild West."

You're a hero Paul. [rofl]

You're a hero Paul. [rofl]

If only the article had then gone on to mention that virtually nobody in Brookline gets an unrestricted license to actually carry, unless they are friends of someone on the police force.

I am actually amazed that this article made it into the Globe - it's actually pretty good. They did one thing I wished they would have done with the gun article earlier this week - they linked the ridiculousness of MA guns laws to the reason why people move to NH. Both of the people they mentioned who had problems with getting a license, commented on how easy it was in NH.

Using a gay man as an example is an excellent little trick too - I want to see the liberals try to say a gay man shouldn't be able to defend himself.

Matt Carrol deserves another round of applause for this one.

Brookline isn't "wild west". Although in terms of gun violence the two are very similar, in the "wild west", law owbiding citizens weren't forbiden to carry their gun as a means of self protection.

This article is very similar to the one that ran a couple of days ago. Why would the Globe run two very similar stories a couple of days apart?

How is it that GOAL can "meet with Coakley" regarding this issue, but we haven't had any reports of meetings regarding issues surrounding the "AG regulations' - which should have been recognized as obsolete once the lab testing and target bills were passed.

Brookline isn't "wild west". Although in terms of gun violence the two are very similar, in the "wild west", law owbiding citizens weren't forbiden to carry their gun as a means of self protection.

And how would he feel knowing that perhaps thousands of people from surrounding towns are CCW in Brookline while the residents are denied doing so. What a stupid comment![sad]

Do the COPS doing the talking even consider the fact that people travel into their little red and black towns from bright green towns?

Last edited:
How is it that GOAL can "meet with Coakley" regarding this issue, but we haven't had any reports of meetings regarding issues surrounding the "AG regulations' - which should have been recognized as obscene once the lab testing and target bills were passed.

+1 Excellent question - glad I'm not alone in this thought....PS: I edited your quote just a bit - couldn't resist...

Brookline isn't "wild west". Although in terms of gun violence the two are very similar

Not so.

Violent crime in the "Wild West" right up until the early 1900's was roughly 1/10 the rate of the "civilized east" and tended to revolve around the drinking establishments of the major settlements. In fact, if the crime rate of the "Wild West" suddenly happened in Boston, the cry would be one of a profound drop in violent crime.

So, yes, please, bring the Wild West to our cities. We'd be far better off.

I have no problem with having to go through a background check and getting fingerprinted or providing a few references... Not at all.. and I know some on this board feels that violates individuals rights... [rolleyes]

What I have a issue with is the fact that its up to each chief to say yes or no...

One thing I have to give this state kudos for is the fact that once you get a LTC..(if your lucky enough to get one).. the state pretty much allows you to carry everywhere. Oklahoma/Texas you still have a lot of places that carrying is a NO NO... like a TGIFs or Pub99 would be off limits...

I have no problem with having to go through a background check and getting fingerprinted or providing a few references... Not at all.. and I know some on this board feels that violates individuals rights... [rolleyes]

Why the rolleyes for that? Why should I have to get someone to "vouch for me" before I can exercise a right specifically protected by the Constitution?

Why the rolleyes for that? Why should I have to get someone to "vouch for me" before I can exercise a right specifically protected by the Constitution?

Why not? why bitch about it and complain that its a "violation of my rights".. You want your rights violated? Go to Canada or England... see what they say about your guns...

If they tell you know you can not have a FID.. then thats a violation of your rights... not that they ask for a letter of recommendation..

Why not? why bitch about it and complain that its a "violation of my rights".. You want your rights violated? Go to Canada or England... see what they say about your guns...

If they tell you know you can not have a FID.. then thats a violation of your rights... not that they ask for a letter of recommendation..

What do Canada and England have to do with the USA and our Constitution?

A resident of Boston jumps through all the hoops and gets a Class A LTC that has the following restrictions: Sport-Target-NO CONCEAL CARRY. The rational behind a LTC with those restrictions is to completely invalidate the license.
It is like putting a motorcycle license applicant through the paces and then issuing a license that says, "here's your license. You cannot leave the garage while operating your motorcycle."
Overall I think the article is good. Since it is in the Globe, I'm just wondering "when's the other boot going to drop?" Do I expect any positive changes to the present gun license policies? NO.
Best Regards.

What I have a issue with is the fact that its up to each chief to say yes or no...

One thing I have to give this state kudos for is the fact that once you get a LTC..(if your lucky enough to get one).. the state pretty much allows you to carry everywhere. Oklahoma/Texas you still have a lot of places that carrying is a NO NO... like a TGIFs or Pub99 would be off limits...

How can requiring a reference prevent any criminal act or uncover criminal intent?
England and Canada have as much relevance as Botswana and the Antarctic. We are talking about the effectiveness of the systems, processes, and regulations in place here in the US and more specifically in Massachusetts.

A resident of Boston jumps through all the hoops and gets a Class A LTC that has the following restrictions: Sport-Target-NO CONCEAL CARRY. The rational behind a LTC with those restrictions is to completely invalidate the license.
It is like putting a motorcycle license applicant through the paces and then issuing a license that says, "here's your license. You cannot leave the garage while operating your motorcycle."

That's an excellent analogy and the most valid point that didn't come through in the Globe article. In place slike Boston, Cambridge, Brookline, Fall River, etc., you have to jump through a lot of extraneous hoops simply to get a highly restricted license. "Here, now that you've shown you belong to a gun club, are a proficient marksman, have a letter from a shrink, and passed the usual background test, we will reluctantly grant you this license which allows you to keep arms. But no way in hell will we let you bear those arms."

This article is very similar to the one that ran a couple of days ago. Why would the Globe run two very similar stories a couple of days apart?

They do it all the time. They take stories during the week and rehash them to fill the Sunday paper. A lot of people don't read the weekday paper plus they're hurting for stories for Sunday and their budget is constantly shrinking.

As part of the NY Times they often run the same stories in various markets too.

Originally Posted by Cherokee_Outlaw View Post
I have no problem with having to go through a background check and getting fingerprinted or providing a few references...

References are useless. When I renewed I noticed there was no place on the app for references as before. I asked the officer why? He said, are you going to put someone down who WILL NOT say you are a good guy?

+1 [thinking]

Why is it so hard for Americans to grasp the fact that a civil right should not be subject to extra checks...

I never really understood the argument that since other people have it worse, we should be happy our suck isn't as bad as their suck, therefore we shouldn't complain.

Let me punch you in the nose, then kick him in the balls. That way you can feel "lucky".

You are the model subject that MA wishes to turn all us gun owners into.

No thanks.

If you need a clean record to own a dangerous item, why don't we just keep all the prohibited people in jail? Afterall, where would YOU draw the line on a "dangerous item"? I draw it on the mentality of the person who has it.

Ask one of these liberals if they would go for this:

EVERYONE has a background check and gets finger printed as part of the driver's license process. Those that are OK to own guns get a GREEN license and those that can't get a RED license. This way, they get the checks they want, but nobody is treated different.

I guarantee you that the liberal will not like this.

Not so.

Violent crime in the "Wild West" right up until the early 1900's was roughly 1/10 the rate of the "civilized east" and tended to revolve around the drinking establishments of the major settlements. In fact, if the crime rate of the "Wild West" suddenly happened in Boston, the cry would be one of a profound drop in violent crime.

So, yes, please, bring the Wild West to our cities. We'd be far better off.

I just read that too. That's something I did not realize. Sweet, now I have more ammunition for the moonbats at work.....

And how would he feel knowing that perhaps thousands of people from surrounding towns are CCW in Brookline while the residents are denied doing so. What a stupid comment![sad]

Do the COPS doing the talking even consider the fact that people travel into their little red and black towns from bright green towns?

It would be nice to get some stories from a licensing authority that granted a license to someone who used the gun to save their life.

The article earlier this week was in the Globe West section, which much of the state does not receive. Today's article appears to not have been published in editions that receive Globe West (at least it wasn't in my copy).

Back
Top Bottom