Boston Globe: Weapons Check

looking back at those dozens of people... I would bet everyone one of them had a record sheet a mile long.. and usually put themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time... Was it still right that they went away for all that time?? No way... but IMO.. that happing to a crack addict/armed robber is nowhere close to happening to joe blow with his wife and kids...

Thats in your opinion, but that doesn't excuse it from being far from the fact.

Why not ?
What have you got to hide in your home or car ?

Whats wrong with a cop stopping you on your way to work, and he does a brief 10 search of your vehicle ?

If they had a call that someone driving a car just like mine was doing a drug deal or was involved in drive by... then YES... by all means officer have a look..

Why? cause he will look for 10 mins and send me on my way... if I say no... then (i'm guessing) I'm waiting for other cruisers to show up... maybe wait for the witness to come down to see if its the car....
So why not give him 10 mins of your time instead of a hour???

Its like jury duty... IT SUCKS... it takes your time away... but its everyones DUTY to do it... Only some unlucky ones gets picked to do it...

But.. if the guy is bored and just wants to take a look around then NO...

wrong place at the wrong time
Sometimes their only offense was being black and a case of honest mistaken identity. Studies have shown that people are better able to distinguish between very similar individuals who are of their own race than from another race.

And no, not all of them were career criminals or obviously guilty of something else.

I would hope you'd exercise your constitutional rights, because if your being charged with murder those two cops aren't trying to figure out what happened, they are trying to get a confession out of you and would love for you to "start talking, because you have nothing to hide".

Brings me back to my faith.. I would bet that most cops would want to get the person that did it... not just get the case closed... and I would bet that MOST would try to figure out what happened...

It is sad that so many people feel that this government is corrupted to that point... [thinking]

Current system tosses out everyone that has had a felony... thats a good start...

I don't feel that it is everyones right to carry a concealed gun... But it should be everyones duty to carry if they can lawfully..

What you do at your house is a whole different subject and thats your business to do what you want AS LONG as your not hurting anyone else.....

So you feel that someone who has committed a Felony in relation to something like taxes should not be allowed to own a gun to protect their family for the rest of their life?

And it doesn't matter that you don't think that it is everyones right to carry a concealed gun. It is, it's called the Second Amendment.

Sometimes their only offense was being black and a case of honest mistaken identity. Studies have shown that people are better able to distinguish between very similar individuals who are of their own race than from another race.

And no, not all of them were career criminals or obviously guilty of something else.

[rolleyes] why is the race card always tossed when it comes to prison...

So you feel that someone who has committed a Felony in relation to something like taxes should not be allowed to own a gun to protect their family for the rest of their life?

And it doesn't matter that you don't think that it is everyones right to carry a concealed gun. It is, it's called the Second Amendment.

No.. It should be Violent Crimes only... Its not perfect... but its a start IMO..

But it does matter what i think... Cause I know best... [wink] *waving a jedi mind trick sign* [smile]

Brings me back to my faith..

In your blind faith, i fear you will have a harsh realization of the truth of the matter. If your being charged, it means you are their prime suspect. They will do what it takes to get you to confess to a crime they suspect you committed. Dig your head out of the sand brother. I think you've been institutionalized by this state that you've forgotten what real freedoms are and have chosen convenience and compliance over having and exercising your rights. True sign of a liberal indeed.

Brings me back to my faith.. I would bet that most cops would want to get the person that did it... not just get the case closed... and I would bet that MOST would try to figure out what happened...

It is sad that so many people feel that this government is corrupted to that point... [thinking]

A lot of people in New Orleans had faith just like you. Their guns were confriscated.

In your blind faith, i fear you will have a harsh realization of the truth of the matter. If your being charged, it means you are their prime suspect. They will do what it takes to get you to confess to a crime they suspect you committed. Dig your head out of the sand brother. I think you've been institutionalized by this state that you've forgotten what real freedoms are and have chosen convenience and compliance over having and exercising your rights. True sign of a liberal indeed.

I'm Sooner Born and was raised a country boy in Oklahoma.. I'm as far from Liberal as they come... My friends that knows me best would say I'm part Sean Hannity and Part O'Reilly with a whole bunch of Newt Gingrich in me... [wink]

My point exactly, and this is why I am trying to show you that compromising the integrity of the constitution is not a good idea.

But how is not letting everyone carry be compromising the integrity of it?

It is so great... cause its so flexible... it is able to bend with the times... and as long as it is not BROKEN...

But how is not letting everyone carry be compromising the integrity of it?

It is so great... cause its so flexible... it is able to bend with the times... and as long as it is not BROKEN...

Well, the 2A doesn't say that only SOME people have the right. It sure as hell doesn't say that the police have the ability to determine who has the right. That is actually what the 2A was trying to prevent.

To bring up the background check argument again as a way that the constitution is "bent" and not broken, we both agree that it is wrong to prevent people who have committed certain felonies such as crimes for tax fraud and the like from owning a gun. This is why the constitution should not be "bent". Because there is no way to "bend" it without breaking it for certain Americans. And The Bill of Rights was created to protect all Americans.

Can you imagine if the First Amendment was only protected for those who meet a certain criteria? I certainly wouldn't agree with that.

This is EXACTLY the same argument that gun banning cretins have used when yammering on about how "outdated" the 2nd amendment is. Word for word. They spew "the constitution is a living document blah blah blah and thus "because of the world we live in" these minor infringements are acceptable". This occurs over and over again, next thing you know a few decades pass and all of a sudden the "one little infringement" has turned into a phone book sized tome of rules and regulations. In our case in MA this amounts to about two phone books worth. (federal and state). (OK, I might be exaggerating a bit here, but frankly if you have more gun laws than will fit on a sheet or two of paper, you should realize that this is already way into the danger zone at that point. )

There is a notional and even precedent of "reasonable regulation" of rights, but 99% of the gun laws out there are patently not reasonable, especially if one is using the standard of "reasonable regulation" against the other amendments as a baseline.

Further, if you think the government hasn't "broken" the 2nd amendment, you'd be dead wrong. It was broken from the moment the time that the government said "you have to ask us permission before you can buy a gun" for starters. Do you have to get similar permission before you exercise
nearly any other right? Probably not.

-Mike

Last edited:
If you are doing no wrong.. then you shouldn't worry now should you?

What an insultingly cretinous excuse for analysis. [slap]

Under that pathetic attempt at Constitutional law, we shouldn't require warrants for search and seizure because, "If you are doing no wrong.. then you shouldn't worry now should you?"

Cops should be allowed to stop cars at random, check licenses and require breathalyzers of whomever they wish to. After all, "If you are doing no wrong.. then you shouldn't worry now should you?"

Police should have master keys to search homes at random, at will. Why not? "If you are doing no wrong.. then you shouldn't worry now should you?"

Sounds like some [troll] from the DU got in here....

If they had a call that someone driving a car just like mine was doing a drug deal or was involved in drive by... then YES... by all means officer have a look..

Why? cause he will look for 10 mins and send me on my way... if I say no... then (i'm guessing) I'm waiting for other cruisers to show up... maybe wait for the witness to come down to see if its the car....
So why not give him 10 mins of your time instead of a hour???

Its like jury duty... IT SUCKS... it takes your time away... but its everyones DUTY to do it... Only some unlucky ones gets picked to do it...

But.. if the guy is bored and just wants to take a look around then NO...
What you're got here is rationale for complete oppressive tyranny. You have 1) naive faith in government (which is inherently flawed, being composed of flawed people), 2) acceptance for the violation of basic human rights, 3) and you're annoyed by serving on a jury, which is one of the only mechanisms by which the People have peaceful power over what the government does to us. Pay attention to what so many posts here are saying. It's not hyperbole. You really are whistling past the graveyard.

What you're got here is rationale for complete oppressive tyranny. You have 1) naive faith in government (which is inherently flawed, being composed of flawed people), 2) acceptance for the violation of basic human rights, 3) and you're annoyed by serving on a jury, which is one of the only mechanisms by which the People have peaceful power over what the government does to us. Pay attention to what so many posts here are saying. It's not hyperbole. You really are whistling past the graveyard.

I just wanted to add to this and to agree with it. CO, you sound like a smart fellow, please consider some of these points.

We have a report that someone who sort-of fits your description is hiding some drugs on their person. You don't mind if we search you, do you?

Just pull those down, and bend over. This won't hurt much... "If you are doing no wrong.. then you shouldn't worry now should you?"

-

Maybe you should reconsider just how far governments can take things, when they are allowed to do so.

Good God man, you have been brainwashed by the Ma**h***s. My sincerest condolences
for the way my Native state has altered your thinking. [sad]

This one wasn't a Massjob
seems Cherokee was programmed somewhere else

I have to say.... With the way I was brought up... I'm already programmed to answer all the questions that someone asks me.. then relying on the legal system to square everything else away... Yes... I would be a attorneys nightmare client that would be an open book... [thinking]

But back home in Oklahoma.....

Its truly a different world up here when it comes to guns in general.. but I have to play by the rules of the place I live... I still have a right to bit*h.. [wink]

Funny how he said he " still have a right to bit*h"

It should be up to the fact that your are of proper age, no history of violet crimes and you have not been on mental drugs...

ALL my crimes are in shades of mauve, thank you very much. You are in a hole CO. Stop digging.

But, now, why does your avatar remind me so much of an IUD?

iud.jpg

I have no problem with having to go through a background check and getting fingerprinted or providing a few references... Not at all.. and I know some on this board feels that violates individuals rights... [rolleyes]

What I have a issue with is the fact that its up to each chief to say yes or no...

One thing I have to give this state kudos for is the fact that once you get a LTC..(if your lucky enough to get one).. the state pretty much allows you to carry everywhere. Oklahoma/Texas you still have a lot of places that carrying is a NO NO... like a TGIFs or Pub99 would be off limits...

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I would like to have you stand up in front of a room full of Holocaust survivors and try out that excuse on them.

Or - since what remains of that generation is quickly passing away , try going down to Lowell or some other town here in MA that has a large Cambodian population in it - and try out that excuse.

Back
Top Bottom