• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston Attorney and LTC

Hey Everyone, I picked up my LTC application at Boston Police HQ this afternoon. When they gave me the checklist of required documents I noticed that there was a box they could check if you were an attorney telling you to get a letter of good standing from the Board of Bar Overseers. I was wearing jeans and looking not very attorney like today so it didn't come up at the counter, but wasn't sure if by supplying this letter I'd be more likely to get the LTC w/o restrictions and be able to conceal. I own my own firm and sometimes have to make cash deposits, but that alone doesn't meet BPD's requirement that I make frequent cash deposits. Wasn't sure if the nature of my profession would allow me to obtain the rare LTC A w/o restrictions? I handle divorce and have made my share of exes angry. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated and let the lawyer jokes ensue.

I'm actually signed up for the basic firearms education course with your school on Thursday Afternoon. Will there be a point during the course that I'll be able to ask about this? Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.

Your instructor will be able to give you some information. I deal will Boston on a regular basis. After the class, give me a call and I will tell you what you will need to do to get an unrestricted license in Boston.

Steve, MFS

Just write up your letter like you were writing a brief!

Embellish the facts that you are an attorney who handles domestic issues, frequently dealing in divorce, modifications, child support and 209A issues, have been threatened (only if true), and oftentimes have good reason to be concerned for your own safety.

BPD understands what the world of domestic relations are about, they deal with your issues from "the other side".

I would expect that you will get an unrestricted LTC without any difficulty.

Just write up your letter like you were writing a brief!

Embellish the facts that you are an attorney who handles domestic issues, frequently dealing in divorce, modifications, child support and 209A issues, have been threatened (only if true), and oftentimes have good reason to be concerned for your own safety.

BPD understands what the world of domestic relations are about, they deal with your issues from "the other side".

I would expect that you will get an unrestricted LTC without any difficulty.

Thanks LenS. It's sadly an area of practice that sees some of the most/worst violence. You try to make the process as easily and non-confrontational as possible, but sometimes it takes the slightest thing to set someone off.

Patsfan,

I know I'm geting a bit off subject, but this amazed me. I got divorced a few years ago. (since remarried) On the day I had to go to family court I also had an appointment with a new client, so I was dressed up. I was wearing a navy chalk stripe suit, white shirt, red tie, a nice dress watch and carrying a large beat up Hartman briefcase that my parents got me when I graduated from college.

As I approached the line for the metal detector the security guy motioned me around the line and metal detector with the words "This way counsellor". I could have had an Uzi or an MP5 in my briefcase. I was astonished.

I was not at the courthouse to kill my ex, but I took advantage of the offer anyway and skipped the line.

Don

Last edited:
Thanks LenS. It's sadly an area of practice that sees some of the most/worst violence. You try to make the process as easily and non-confrontational as possible, but sometimes it takes the slightest thing to set someone off.

Counselor, I'm a Constable and know full well the anger that goes with that area of law. I've served some winners and my alert level is higher than red many a time.

Patsfan,

I know I'm geting a bit off subject, but this amazed me. I got divorced a few years ago. (since remarried) On the day I had to go to family court I also had an appointment with a new client, so I was dressed up. I was wearing a navy chalk stripe suit, white shirt, red tie, a nice dress watch and carrying a large beat up Hartman briefcase that my parents got me when I graduated from college.

As I approached the line for the metal detector the security guy motioned me around the line and metal detector with the words "This way counsellor". I could have had an Uzi or an MP5 in my briefcase. I was astonished.

I was not at the courthouse to kill my ex, but I took advantage of the offer anyway and skipped the line.

Don

I was called to jury duty, so I left all weaponry at home that day. When going thru the metal detector, the guard said "why didn't you ID yourself, I would have let you go around the detector?" Well, usually I do, but since we were all marched together by a Court Officer, I didn't want to request the "special treatment" in front of the others in the jury pool.

Just to clarify, is a letter from the BBO optional or does Boston mandate one if you list your profession as "attorney" on the application?

Seems kinda retarded--anyone can pull up an attorney's disciplinary record by simply entering their name on the BBO's website. Not that you professional career should have any bearing on your 2nd AMD liberties anyways...

Some hints for applying for unrestricted in a red town:

- Be prepared to prove anything you claim.

- If you claim "employment need", be prepared to prove your employer will let you carry.

- Most importantly, your explanation needs to be specific, and something of a nature that not just anyone on the internet who got a copy of their letter could tweak and claim applies to them. The problem with "general need to be protected from the risk to which all members of the public are subject" is that acceptance of such a reason means anyone can qualify by writing such a letter, and that's not going to fly in a red town.

As an attorney dealing with people in a very emotional aspect of the law, I would say your odds are much better than average.

Patsfan,

Don

Some courts are super strict, some are really lax. It's a nice perk of being an attorney though. Nothing better than skipping the line at Suffolk Probate and Family Court. Sadly it doesn't work in Federal Courts.

Just to clarify, is a letter from the BBO optional or does Boston mandate one if you list your profession as "attorney" on the application?

Seems kinda retarded--anyone can pull up an attorney's disciplinary record by simply entering their name on the BBO's website. Not that you professional career should have any bearing on your 2nd AMD liberties anyways...

They didn't say that I needed one, but it was an option on the checklist they gave me. It seems like I might be able to use the letter to get an unrestricted LTC in Boston. It seems kind of crazy that they need to investigate me at all though. The BBO is constantly making sure I haven't gotten into trouble, professional or personal. That should be enough for BPD. I've passed background checks when I was a student prosecutor, when I applied for the Mass Bar, and when I applied to the Federal Bar last November.

The thing that bothers me the most is that it means nothing that I'm doing this the right way. I took the basic Firearms class at MFS, I'm doing the Moon Island Practice Course (Also with MFS), I hope to take a tactical shooting course at some point (again at MFS), and I've signed up for a Hunter's Safety Course in April. Some criminal could drive up to Maine or NH and buy a gun and the state would be none-the-wiser. But I'm the one who can only get an LTC with restrictions, because I live in Boston!?!

Some hints for applying for unrestricted in a red town:

- Be prepared to prove anything you claim.

- If you claim "employment need", be prepared to prove your employer will let you carry.

- Most importantly, your explanation needs to be specific, and something of a nature that not just anyone on the internet who got a copy of their letter could tweak and claim applies to them. The problem with "general need to be protected from the risk to which all members of the public are subject" is that acceptance of such a reason means anyone can qualify by writing such a letter, and that's not going to fly in a red town.

As an attorney dealing with people in a very emotional aspect of the law, I would say your odds are much better than average.

Thanks for the great tips Rob.

They didn't say that I needed one, but it was an option on the checklist they gave me. It seems like I might be able to use the letter to get an unrestricted LTC in Boston. It seems kind of crazy that they need to investigate me at all though. The BBO is constantly making sure I haven't gotten into trouble, professional or personal. That should be enough for BPD. I've passed background checks when I was a student prosecutor, when I applied for the Mass Bar, and when I applied to the Federal Bar last November.

The thing that bothers me the most is that it means nothing that I'm doing this the right way. I took the basic Firearms class at MFS, I'm doing the Moon Island Practice Course (Also with MFS), I hope to take a tactical shooting course at some point (again at MFS), and I've signed up for a Hunter's Safety Course in April. Some criminal could drive up to Maine or NH and buy a gun and the state would be none-the-wiser. But I'm the one who can only get an LTC with restrictions, because I live in Boston!?!

Bingo! how does where you live have anything to do with whether or not you can exercise your RIGHTS? Maybe you could start representing solid citizens who have been denied their Constitutional rights?

Once upon a time there was a very nice lawyer who was representing me in a very messy divorce case, his name was Bill Kahn, He was murdered by the husband of a client

It was a very sad day.

This BS of Boston ramming restricted licenses down peoples throats pisses me off.

Student, 25, Kills Lawyer Of Ex-Wife
AP
Published: December 03, 1995

* Sign In to E-Mail
* Print

BOSTON, Dec. 2 — A graduate student shot his former wife's lawyer to death and wounded a police officer in a confrontation on Thursday night in the city's financial district, then killed himself as officers closed in on him, the authorities said.

The police said the lawyer, William F. Kahn, approached Officer Donald Lee about 8 P.M. and told him that he was being bothered by another man. When Officer Lee went with Mr. Kahn to investigate, they met the gunman, John T. Lin, 25, who opened fire, the police said.

Mr. Kahn, 48, of Littleton was shot two or three times in the chest. Officer Lee then chased the gunman, joined by Officer Jonathan Stratton, who was shot twice.

Officer Stratton was in good condition at a hospital, and doctors said his bulletproof vest had stopped a shot to his chest and saved his life. A second bullet pierced his colon, just missing a major artery.

As dozens of police officers converged on the area Thursday night, Mr. Lin fled, the police said. Mr. Lin, a student at Babson College, apparently shot himself after ducking into a doorway to hide, the police said. A gun for which he had a license was found in his hand.

Last edited:
Of course, every Mass anti knows that you don't need a NICS check to buy a gun in ME or NH. [smile]

Especially if your buying the 50 caliber fully automatic AK-47 Glock with laser sights and "cop killer" bullets. You get those right over the counter, no questions asked. At least thats what the nice man on the news told me.

Not exactly true. I was asked if I wanted fries with mine.

Especially if your buying the 50 caliber fully automatic AK-47 Glock with laser sights and "cop killer" bullets. You get those right over the counter, no questions asked. At least thats what the nice man on the news told me.

Hi everyone, New to this site and I came across this post. I just completed by safety training and I have my processing interview in Boston scheduled for early November. I was wondering if anyone knew if lawyers were still getting unrestricted in Boston. If so, is there anything particular that is needed to get an unrestricted. Thanks in advance for any insight.

043.gif

Hi everyone, New to this site and I came across this post. I just completed by safety training and I have my processing interview in Boston scheduled for early November. I was wondering if anyone knew if lawyers were still getting unrestricted in Boston. If so, is there anything particular that is needed to get an unrestricted. Thanks in advance for any insight.

O.....M.....G........[rolleyes]

Please.......for the love love of god..........DO TELL why you think lawyers should get unrestricted LTC when others do not.

well, for one, they are officers of the court, and are more equal animals, just like the po-po. Two, as pointed out, Probate lawyers tend to have very emotional, angry, RO-won't-stop-me types who want to hurt them. badly.

Wifey routinely skips the metal detector entering the courthouse.

well, for one, they are officers of the court, and are more equal animals, just like the po-po. Two, as pointed out, Probate lawyers tend to have very emotional, angry, RO-won't-stop-me types who want to hurt them. badly.

Wifey routinely skips the metal detector entering the courthouse.

That's what I thought

Back
Top Bottom