Boston Attorney and LTC

Some courts are super strict, some are really lax. It's a nice perk of being an attorney though. Nothing better than skipping the line at Suffolk Probate and Family Court. Sadly it doesn't work in Federal Courts.

I had it happen to me at the bankruptcy court once in Boston. They waved me through with my bag. All I had to do was show my pathetic MS word bar card. that was a few years back so maybe things have changed... In Norfork it use to happen a great deal but I have been out of litigation for years now.

Patsfan,

I know I'm geting a bit off subject, but this amazed me. I got divorced a few years ago. (since remarried) On the day I had to go to family court I also had an appointment with a new client, so I was dressed up. I was wearing a navy chalk stripe suit, white shirt, red tie, a nice dress watch and carrying a large beat up Hartman briefcase that my parents got me when I graduated from college.

As I approached the line for the metal detector the security guy motioned me around the line and metal detector with the words "This way counsellor". I could have had an Uzi or an MP5 in my briefcase. I was astonished.

I was not at the courthouse to kill my ex, but I took advantage of the offer anyway and skipped the line.

Don

I was carrying valuables through Logan and inquired about a private TSA screening (something the website said they do), and in the confusion, I was actually never put through a metal detector, but my bags were searched thoroughly. This was way back in the early 2000's (fun to say early 2000's now)

They didn't say that I needed one, but it was an option on the checklist they gave me. It seems like I might be able to use the letter to get an unrestricted LTC in Boston. It seems kind of crazy that they need to investigate me at all though. The BBO is constantly making sure I haven't gotten into trouble, professional or personal. That should be enough for BPD. I've passed background checks when I was a student prosecutor, when I applied for the Mass Bar, and when I applied to the Federal Bar last November.

The thing that bothers me the most is that it means nothing that I'm doing this the right way. I took the basic Firearms class at MFS, I'm doing the Moon Island Practice Course (Also with MFS), I hope to take a tactical shooting course at some point (again at MFS), and I've signed up for a Hunter's Safety Course in April. Some criminal could drive up to Maine or NH and buy a gun and the state would be none-the-wiser. But I'm the one who can only get an LTC with restrictions, because I live in Boston!?![/QUOTE]

Ah. No. Not without breaking a bunch of laws in the process. what a dumbass statement.

They didn't say that I needed one, but it was an option on the checklist they gave me. It seems like I might be able to use the letter to get an unrestricted LTC in Boston. It seems kind of crazy that they need to investigate me at all though. The BBO is constantly making sure I haven't gotten into trouble, professional or personal. That should be enough for BPD. I've passed background checks when I was a student prosecutor, when I applied for the Mass Bar, and when I applied to the Federal Bar last November.

The thing that bothers me the most is that it means nothing that I'm doing this the right way. I took the basic Firearms class at MFS, I'm doing the Moon Island Practice Course (Also with MFS), I hope to take a tactical shooting course at some point (again at MFS), and I've signed up for a Hunter's Safety Course in April. Some criminal could drive up to Maine or NH and buy a gun and the state would be none-the-wiser. But I'm the one who can only get an LTC with restrictions, because I live in Boston!?!

Ah. No. Not without breaking a bunch of laws in the process. what a dumbass statement.

You missed the part about "some criminal". By definition, they break a bunch of laws ... So, I am not sure what was so dumb about his statement?

The thing that bothers me the most is that it means nothing that I'm doing this the right way. I took the basic Firearms class at MFS, I'm doing the Moon Island Practice Course (Also with MFS), I hope to take a tactical shooting course at some point (again at MFS), and I've signed up for a Hunter's Safety Course in April. Some criminal could drive up to Maine or NH and buy a gun and the state would be none-the-wiser. But I'm the one who can only get an LTC with restrictions, because I live in Boston!?!

Look at it this way. The hoops that you are jumping through are those jumped through by all Boston residents (such as myself), and for many of us we would have to jump through even more hoops in order to get a NR LTC A. So you aren't the only one who can only get an LTC with restrictions - you likely won't get one, unlike myself. I currently have T&H restrictions, and I would likely need to get instructor certified to get them removed because I'm not a special person like you are.

Lawyers do get "special treatment" for LTCs even in Black towns. Some of the reason might be fear of litigation against the town, as well as the real threats that comes with being a member of the bar.

As for BBO "making sure you haven't gotten into trouble" that is pure hogwash. Short of getting convicted of something the BBO could care less if a lawyer is scum, steals services from providers, etc. I used to do computer consulting and one attorney screwed me out of $4500 for work that he demanded and I performed. Another lawyer hired me to evaluate his computer systems without providing pertinent background info . . . he used my evaluation to cheat the installer out of >$1K . . . and if all the facts were known he'd have lost the case. Recently as a Constable a local attorney screwed me out of payment for serving papers for him, as another one did many years ago. My business attorney told me (after the $4500 screw job) NEVER to accept work from attorneys without payment up front . . . he knows of what he speaks! I spoke with the BBO wrt the $4500 screw job (had a contract and signed invoices) and they refused to even take my complaint, they said it isn't an "ethical" issue for an attorney to hire a contractor and not pay them! In short, most people never file a complaint and just go away mad.

Lawyers do get "special treatment" for LTCs even in Black towns. Some of the reason might be fear of litigation against the town, as well as the real threats that comes with being a member of the bar.

If you look at the bar discipline site, just about the only thing Bar Counsel will screw you to the wall for is converting client funds in some way (usually failing to maintain separate accounts and even this related in some way to bar fees as they do not get the unconstitutional IOLTA fees given the quasi governmental nature of the bar). Everything else if a slap for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom