• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beginner Red Dot Questions

I opted for a Holosun Green Dot 2MOA. Decent prices on O.P.....
if you search around on the net you can usually find a 10% discount code for O.P.
Free shipping too... on orders $49.99 & up...

Also tandemkross has great accessories for the Victory Pistol

View attachment 275169

My set up only weighs 65ozs!!!
jp0DZZv.jpg

Yep, pretty common. I do a lot of indoor bullseye, had the same problem, and last year got prescription shooting glasses and now the dot is back to being nice and round.

P

I hate wearing glasses. I wear contacts, but my eyes do not like the proper contacts to correct my astigmatisms. LASIK is in the future I hope that’s the only real way to solve my sight issues other than wearing glasses which won’t happen

This thread is mostly about red dot sights for pistols. The sight above won't work on a pistol, since the web page states it has a 3.7" eye relief. You are correct in thinking that a prism scope with an etched reticle will give a much better visual picture with some types of astigmatism. But the tradeoff is that all prism optics have a set amount of eye relief, even if they have no magnification. Traditional red dot sights with no magnification have "unlimited" eye relief, and they really do work fine on a traditional rifle mount, or a scout mount, or at arms length on a pistol.

I have not used the sight above, but I have used other prism scopes on rifles, and they work quite well. For people with certain vision problems, they are probably the best choice. However, I am not aware of any prism optics with the extended eye relief that would be necessary on a handgun.

My bad. I totally skipped over the pistol part. Thanks for the feedback!

I hate wearing glasses. I wear contacts, but my eyes do not like the proper contacts to correct my astigmatisms. LASIK is in the future I hope that’s the only real way to solve my sight issues other than wearing glasses which won’t happen

Well, you do wear safety (shooting) glasses, right ? That's what I got - don't need glasses otherwise. I'd think a competent eye person could set you up with shooting glasses that you wear along with your contacts ?

I have an astigmatism. I tried contacts but they just didn't feel right and sometimes my sight was sharp, then it would suddenly go away if the contact shifted. My Rx glasses do a good job correcting my astigmatism and keep the dot nice and round.

Well, you do wear safety (shooting) glasses, right ? That's what I got - don't need glasses otherwise. I'd think a competent eye person could set you up with shooting glasses that you wear along with your contacts ?

Yes I do, Most of the time regular sunglasses. Never thought of that though, its not THAT big of a deal for me I can live with the distorted dot, I'm not qualifying for a swat team or anything.

I have an astigmatism. I tried contacts but they just didn't feel right and sometimes my sight was sharp, then it would suddenly go away if the contact shifted. My Rx glasses do a good job correcting my astigmatism and keep the dot nice and round.

Most likey did not have the right sized contacts on. There are so many flavors of contacts, it can be a trial and error especially if new to them. The quality of my sight is always consistent with contacts in. But contacts are also not for everyone either, dry eyes, sensitive eyes, can't touch your eyes..ect.

Most likey did not have the right sized contacts on. There are so many flavors of contacts, it can be a trial and error especially if new to them. The quality of my sight is always consistent with contacts in, not perfect but constant. But contacts are also not for everyone either, dry eyes, sensitive eyes, can't touch your eyes..ect. I can not function through daily life without eye correction

Most likey did not have the right sized contacts on. There are so many flavors of contacts, it can be a trial and error especially if new to them. The quality of my sight is always consistent with contacts in, not perfect but constant. But contacts are also not for everyone either, dry eyes, sensitive eyes, can't touch your eyes..ect. I can not function through daily life without eye correction

That could have been the problem, I was thinking about try contacts again. I'll have to look into the sizing issue

Thanks for all the feedback. I ordered a Vortex Venom from Midway and installed it on the Victory's plastic rail for now. I'll see how I like it and then maybe get the Shadow mount from Tandemkross.

That could have been the problem, I was thinking about try contacts again. I'll have to look into the sizing issue

If you’re wearing astigmatism-specific contacts, the only way they stay oriented correctly is by being heavier on one side, which should generally stay down.

The possibility exists for movement.

That being said, tell your optometrist that you had that issue, and they can likely set you up with a different lens to see if it improves things.

Luckily, my astigmatism isn’t so bad that I have to wear the special contacts. I can still get away with regular ones....but I still had to try a few different ones to find one that fit really well.

Back
Top Bottom