Backyard range in MA

I live in a rural green town in Worcester County and my home is on a large piece of property that I'd like to build a small range on. 15 acres. There are no local regulations in town that would prevent a backyard range and there are two other backyard ranges that I know of on my street.

My wife enjoys archery and I have been having a very difficult time finding a good place to enjoy my shooting hobby. We decided that we'd like to build our own range.

I want this to be as safe as I can possibly construct it. The backstop will be a large steep dirt hill approx 30 feet in height that is already part of the terrain. I plan on fencing off both flanks and the crest of the hill with rails from the trees dropped to keep anyone from wandering into the field of fire. I also will be clearly posting the property.

There is 1000 feet in every direction from the range to the nearest structure with the exception of my home and barn that would be at just over 500 feet. There is an 600 foot perimeter to the nearest abutting wooded property line that but that falls away from the line of fire.

I don't want to cause any unnecessary red tape for myself. I have had mixed responses from some of my friends on these questions. What is the opinion of the members here especially any LEO on these two questions...

Would it be wise to contact the local PD prior to constructing this or should I just build it?

What about when I plan on using the range.... should I call the PD so they are aware of what I'm doing in case there are any complaints?

At the risk of sounding like a wise-ass, if you're not doing anything unlawful, why would you ask permission?

The only thing to "worry" about, is if there are building permit requirements, or environmental issues.

If you build it, NES will come!

Let us know the date of the range warming!

[laugh]

At the risk of sounding like a wise-ass, if you're not doing anything unlawful, why would you ask permission?

The only thing to "worry" about, is if there are building permit requirements, or environmental issues.

If you build it, NES will come!

Let us know the date of the range warming!

[laugh]

This is precisely what I was going to write: If you are meeting the requirements, are not breaking the law, and have made sufficient safety accommodations then contacting the police is superfluous.

As Derek continually reminds us "nothing good comes from inviting the police into your life".

as long as all laws are followed build it and use it and like as others have said dont involve police unless someone complains

I think that the OP's concern, is that there are no laws to follow WRT range construction.

It's tough to know that just doing something related to guns in Mass is not hyper-regulated.

Then ask GOAL for their opinion before asking the police.

if you want actual legal advice ask a lawyer, not the police

as far as neighbor noise complaints, the way to address that is to invite them over--works for parties and the like too.

Thank you for all the input.

I think that the OP's concern, is that there are no laws to follow WRT range construction.

It's tough to know that just doing something related to guns in Mass is not hyper-regulated.

This is exactly my concern.

Then ask GOAL for their opinion before asking the police.

Ultimately this is probably the best advice and my next course of action. I just want to be positive I'm 100% in the right before I spend time and money on this project.

Thanks

If there isn't a bylaw against it, I would just build it and use it. See if you can get an NES member with a belt fed to come break it in....you'll get to see what the local PD's response time is like....lol.

If u live in a rural town ... Chances are it's no problem.. My in laws have their own backyard range (they own 10 acres in a rural town) The way I see it is - that it's nobody's business unless you make it their business... Just don't do anything dumb and you'll be fine..

From the GOAL Range Resource page:

MA Specific Laws Regarding Range Operation

Section 129C has a laundry list of exemptions for instruction and range use.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-129c.htm

Hunting law regarding discharge feet.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/131-58.htm

Law exempting shooting ranges from the 500’ discharge law.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/269-12e.htm

This is the noise protection law for ranges.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/214-7b.htm

This is the bill we got passed in 2002 to protect ranges who had to reorient due to environmental considerations.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/seslaw02/sl020152.htm

Most of those exemptions and laws apply to registered ranges. I don't believe the OP is talking about getting a license for his backyard range.

I'm not aware of any range that is "licensed."

Really??????????

"The colonel of state police may, after an investigation, grant a Class A license to a club or facility with an on-site shooting range or gallery, which club is incorporated under the laws of the commonwealth for the possession, storage and use of large capacity weapons, ammunition therefor and large capacity feeding devices for use with such weapons on the premises of such club; provided, however, that not less than one shareholder of such club shall be qualified and suitable to be issued such license; and provided further, that such large capacity weapons and ammunition feeding devices may be used under such Class A club license only by such members that possess a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B or a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or by such other persons that the club permits while under the direct supervision of a certified firearms safety instructor or club member who, in the case of a large capacity firearm, possesses a valid Class A license to carry firearms or, in the case of a large capacity rifle or shotgun, possesses a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms. Such club shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties."

Really??????????

"The colonel of state police may, after an investigation, grant a Class A license to a club or facility with an on-site shooting range or gallery, which club is incorporated under the laws of the commonwealth for the possession, storage and use of large capacity weapons, ammunition therefor and large capacity feeding devices for use with such weapons on the premises of such club; provided, however, that not less than one shareholder of such club shall be qualified and suitable to be issued such license; and provided further, that such large capacity weapons and ammunition feeding devices may be used under such Class A club license only by such members that possess a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B or a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or by such other persons that the club permits while under the direct supervision of a certified firearms safety instructor or club member who, in the case of a large capacity firearm, possesses a valid Class A license to carry firearms or, in the case of a large capacity rifle or shotgun, possesses a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms. Such club shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties."

Yes, really. I don't know of any range that has a Class A or Class B LTC. I've heard that there is only one in MA. There is no requirement that a club have an LTC and there are plenty of downsides to it. I was an officer or director of a gun club for about a dozen years and that club did not have an LTC at the time (and I'd bet it still doesn't).

Furthermore, I don't believe that the licensing referred to in the noise regulations has anything to do with the gun club having an LTC, as they are in completely separate parts of the MGL and the noise regulations predate the section of MGL Chapter 140 that allows a gun club to get an LTC.

- - - Updated - - -

Andover is the only range in the state that possesses such a license.

Does that have anything to do with the "licensed" range referred to in the noise statute?

Andover is the only range in the state that possesses such a license.

That surprises me; I thought most commercial ranges, both public and private were licensed by either the state or municipality.

When I referenced licensing, I wasn't really referring to LTC. Wouldn't MFS & AFS be required to have licenses to rent firearms? How does that work?

That surprises me; I thought most commercial ranges, both public and private were licensed by either the state or municipality.

When I referenced licensing, I wasn't really referring to LTC. Wouldn't MFS & AFS be required to have licenses to rent firearms? How does that work?

There are probably commercial licensing for the space, the business, etc. They probably have dozens of licenses. But that doesn't mean there is a "range license"

What would they need other than an FFL?

Ok, I read it wrong. I will freely admit when I'm wrong: I thought they needed permits or licenses to operate a public or private range.

Does that have anything to do with the "licensed" range referred to in the noise statute?

So, the answer to this question depends on what the legislature thought they were doing with the LTC-A for clubs. I suspect there was a desire to license all clubs, but during some editing the requirement was dropped or the theory I believe is the truth is that the drafters thought that the clubs would be forced to license because CLEOs would not issues LTCs, thereby forcing people to store their high cap guns and handguns at gun clubs. No shit. This was the point of the 1998 law. They thought they could goad into existence a japanese style system by making FIDs shall issue and LTCs hard to get. They just didn't think the CLEOs would issue LTCs like they ended up doing after 1998.

Back
Top Bottom