• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Aspiring firearm store owner problems

What will that get him? An even longer drive from armpit region and even less customers. Although being pike proximate helps.
I guess I was thinking Worcester was maybe 1/2 hour closer. It is basically straight up 146. Hey, Millbury is even closer! I'm sure there are PLENTY of empty mill buildings looking for tenants most of the way up 146.

I guess I was thinking Worcester was maybe 1/2 hour closer. It is basically straight up 146. Hey, Millbury is even closer! I'm sure there are PLENTY of empty mill buildings looking for tenants most of the way up 146.
In that case you would contact the building owners and ask which realtors they use to find rental tenants for them and work with them. Jack.

For fun keep an eye on that rental and send them a card every month reminding them of the money they are losing. Assuming the rental is still empty.

Pretty sure another "mill type" building exists in MA.
I bought a custom holster from one just can't remember where as I had it shipped but it was not Littleton
smaller of course
Saxonville Mills in Framingham? There was/is Saxonville Armory there, but I believe it’s become business to business only.

Well, as you know, in Mass you need a place to keep your records that is not a residence. ATF frowns on getting the FFL to enhance a personal collection. However, you can enhance your dealer inventory as much as you want. For a serious gunny, the 07FFL/SOT opens the door to full auto, suppressed and other neat stuff that can be for personal use. ATF wants you to make a profit, but they don't say how much. Just keep your paperwork in order and you are OK. If you don't want to sell anything in Mass, you don't need the state licenses, business cert. or any of that shit. ATF will be happy and the state and town won't even know that you exist. Have fun. Jack.
So is it still possible to get a home 07FFL/SOT and not deal then in MA? IE gunsmith/deal online ?

So is it still possible to get a home 07FFL/SOT and not deal then in MA? IE gunsmith/deal online ?
"Firearms consultant" or "Gunwriter" would work from the federal side and does not include a requirement the FFL holder attempt to sell at a profit. Just be prepared to prove either of those claims.

Hey guys so I recently decided I want to go for my FFL, I found a mill type place in new Bedford about 10min away from my house. Reach out and was elated to hear they are zoned for light manufacturing! So the property manager asks what kind of business I'm looking at opening. I send a very professional email and spell it out and even include wanting to sell to police departments to try and make it sound less scary. Well I'm sure you can guess the answer I got "we have decided to stay away from these types of businesses thank you for considering us". So I'm feeling rather defeated and feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. Is there anywhere besides the Littleton mill (an hour and 15min away from me) that would rent to a firearms store? I realize this is Massachusetts and they hate guns here but do they hate money too? Any advice or suggestions or anyone want to rent a space to me?!
I tried to open in my town, and was told it would never be approved. Tried to open in a place in Worcester. The landlord was a gun owner, and had no issues. Three lawyers told me the police chief would OK it, but the city fathers would stop it. The locale was near a big day care center, and a school, and they told me that a hundred whining kids would show up to protest, and it would be over. They offered to take my money, but told me to find some other idea.

A small, firearms friendly town might be better than any city or burb close to Boston.

"Firearms consultant" or "Gunwriter" would work from the federal side and does not include a requirement the FFL holder attempt to sell at a profit. Just be prepared to prove either of those claims.
Is this complicated ? From what I’ve read, thought baker was going after these?

Massachusetts in general hate all business no matter what. This is the most openly hostile to business state I believe of the 50. I was almost ready to blow milk out of every orifice in my body when Charlie Baker last week exclaimed that if companies want to support abortions they can move the business to Massachusetts. It's not guns, it's anything unless it's a whole foods, birkenstocks, weed store or upscale alcohol store for the left leaning weenies after a hard day of negotiating down an insurance claim from some little old ladys leaky roof in Podunk, Arkansas.
Oh no, weed stores are bad. Wayland banned them back at town meeting a few years back. I was tempted to point out the hypocrisy of allowing multiple liquor stores in town, but I was trying to stop an anti-gun article and didn't want to push it.

I tried to open in my town, and was told it would never be approved. Tried to open in a place in Worcester. The landlord was a gun owner, and had no issues. Three lawyers told me the police chief would OK it, but the city fathers would stop it. The locale was near a big day care center, and a school, and they told me that a hundred whining kids would show up to protest, and it would be over. They offered to take my money, but told me to find some other idea.

A small, firearms friendly town might be better than any city or burb close to Boston.
Do you have to open as a gun store?

Why not some sort of "survival store" get the business permit, or whatever the town issues, then apply for the FFL?

Last edited:
Hey guys so I recently decided I want to go for my FFL, I found a mill type place in new Bedford about 10min away from my house. Reach out and was elated to hear they are zoned for light manufacturing! So the property manager asks what kind of business I'm looking at opening. I send a very professional email and spell it out and even include wanting to sell to police departments to try and make it sound less scary. Well I'm sure you can guess the answer I got "we have decided to stay away from these types of businesses thank you for considering us". So I'm feeling rather defeated and feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. Is there anywhere besides the Littleton mill (an hour and 15min away from me) that would rent to a firearms store? I realize this is Massachusetts and they hate guns here but do they hate money too? Any advice or suggestions or anyone want to rent a space to me?!
You mention light manufacturing?
Where you thinking of doing some manufacturing? Or is the property just zoned for it.
Seems they are being unfair to you and are not open to diverse business.
Maybe tou need a LBGBT person of color as a partner, how can they say no.

Is this complicated ? From what I’ve read, thought baker was going after these?
In day of old, a non-FFL holder could received guns interstate without use of an FFL if they were a gunwriter, technical analyst, photographer, salesperson, etc. That changed with an ATF ruling that the exemption now covers only W2 employees of the FFL, not 1099 consultants and volunteers (yes, the BATFE mentioned volunteers) in the ruling. The ruling further stated that such volunteers must obtain an FFL to conduct such activities, which carries the clear implication that persons issued FFLs for such purposes do not have to be attempting to make profitable sales (actually any sales), and the mention of "volunteers" removes the requirement for a profit motive.

The MA prohibition is on the holding of a state dealer's license must have a non-residential address, not an FFL. Home based MA dealer licenses were not gone after baker, bt by Cheryl Jacques where she was a state senator. Unlike Linsky, she was strategically competent and knew how to pull stuff like this off.

1669109751429.png
"In honor of urban theorist Jane Jacobs’ 100th birthday this past May,” Jane Jacobs in the Woo”[1] formed to inaugurate a full year of community conversations and actions about building a vibrant Worcester, Massachusetts. Jane Jacobs in the Woo is pleased to nominate Crompton Place, a locally owned, mixed-use development in Worcester’s up-and-coming Canal District neighborhood for Strong Towns' Best Infrastructure Project. Listed on the national historic register in 1980, this property was the site of Crompton Loom Works famous for its textile and invention of an innovative power loom."

"Dino has chosen and carefully cultivated tenants who would support his community-focused vision and promote the ideals of “buying local”. "

Kinda like Jack!

or how about:

1669110053510.png

It is already "seeded" with one gun shop (LaRocca).

Oh no, weed stores are bad. Wayland banned them back at town meeting a few years back. I was tempted to point out the hypocrisy of allowing multiple liquor stores in town, but I was trying to stop an anti-gun article and didn't want to push it.

Crazy that this is still a thing. Here in mega conservative collier/lee county where at the point where you can stand in the middle of a street and see multiple pot shops. And zero problems come out of them, obviously.

That said FL would benefit from less strict MJ laws.

Do you have to open as a gun store?

Why not some sort of "survival store" get the business permit, or whatever the town issues, then apply for the FFL?
ATF checks the zoning. They don't GAS about biz permits or state licenses. They cop out by saying that you must be in compliance with all state and local laws but don't enforce this. In Littleton, at the Mill, I went without a biz permit for 20 years. I finally got one to see what it was all about and got it to "Tell Fortunes". It's shall issue for any reason because they only want the $$. Then they send you a form asking what your assets are. You shitcan that. If you fill it out they will want to tax your assets. One time a guy came from the town and said that he wanted to check the tenants' assets. I told him to GTFO and he left. They got pissed, went to the state for a list of all tenants who had Mass dealers licenses at 410 Great Rd and sent them letters telling them to take out biz permits. Shitheads. Jack.

Crazy that this is still a thing. Here in mega conservative collier/lee county where at the point where you can stand in the middle of a street and see multiple pot shops. And zero problems come out of them, obviously.

That said FL would benefit from less strict MJ laws.
It’s for the children. They trotted out a doctor in town who treats addiction and did the whole gateway drug thing. I wanted to go to the “no“ podium and ask the voters how many of them believed their kids couldn’t get weed in town right now? How many of them realized that even here in Wayland we’ve had arrests for dealing heroin (I knew a fellow who was an aux cop in town who made such an arrest). It’s absurd.

I don’t drink and I don’t use MJ, but the hypocrisy of these idiots getting all moralistic and discussing how MJ is bad as they sip their wine over dinner is just insane.

the hypocrisy of these idiots getting all moralistic and discussing how MJ is bad as they sip their wine over dinner is just insane.
It makes me wonder what drives people like that to behave this way.

Insane is a good word for it.

In Littleton, at the Mill, I went without a biz permit for 20 years. I finally got one to see what it was all about and got it to "Tell Fortunes". It's shall issue for any reason because they only want the $$.

Your fortune telling license is in Littleton? I thought I remembered you telling me once it was in Acton.

Damn. The memory is the second thing that goes as you get older. I forget what the first one is.

Your fortune telling license is in Littleton? I thought I remembered you telling me once it was in Acton.

Damn. The memory is the second thing that goes as you get older. I forget what the first one is.
It was in Acton for years. They finally refused to renew it because they would not renew the biz cert that I had there because I never responded to a town census. They took me off the voting roll because of that also. I told them that I would tell fortunes without a license and vote by absentee ballot in Spanish. Shitheads. Anyway, one time ATF told me that they were holding up my FFL renewal in Acton for lack of a biz cert. I sent them a copy of only the front of an old cert that had the address on it. That worked. You have to game the system. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom